2012-2013 Marshall University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to interview here at Marshall. I am strongly feeling its culture, town, and medical school program.

I am OOS from Maryland with personal experiences with rural medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my secondary about a month or two ago and haven't heard anything since. I thought I may have gotten a reject when I received a letter from them via snail mail last week, but it was just an update on their probationary status. I have no West Virginia ties, but I'm from Appalachian Kentucky. Anyone else in this boat?
4 people in my class were from eastern KY. Everywhere from Ashland to Pikeville

I had an interview on Dec 5th and I just cancelled it because I got into my top choice. I hope one of you gets my interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any OOS people with interviews here? I called towards the beginning of the month and they said they would start reviewing OOS apps over the next few weeks to offer interviews for January.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any OOS people with interviews here? I called towards the beginning of the month and they said they would start reviewing OOS apps over the next few weeks to offer interviews for January.

Same here :)

Sent from my DROID3 using SDN Mobile

I just got the call here this evening! UNBELIEVABLE! I am accepted!!

Got the call too around 9:30 pm on Tuesday. ACCEPTED, and it feels AMAZING :)

Btw, for future reference- it's normal for Cindy to make the calls late at night after the committee meeting. Sometimes if there are too many calls to make, she'll have to call some the following day as well.

congrats to both of you! its overwhelming to have someone say "yes" and validate the hard work we've been putting in to get to this point.

yeah, i wasnt expecting a call that late, but when i heard the phone ringing i flew up off the couch and headed straight for the phone, and when i saw the WV area code, i knew it had to be her. other than her telling me congrats i dont remember much else that was said. i guess we get some type of correspondence in the mail or by email soon...

Since the Thanksgiving committee meeting was moved to this Tuesday, should the next be December 11th? I interview next Tuesday, just trying to get an idea of when they should meet next:xf:

Since the Thanksgiving committee meeting was moved to this Tuesday, should the next be December 11th? I interview next Tuesday, just trying to get an idea of when they should meet next:xf:

that should be right, every 2 weeks is what i understood from cindy

that should be right, every 2 weeks is what i understood from cindy
Thanks! Was your interview as laid-back as the one described earlier in the thread?

Thanks! Was your interview as laid-back as the one described earlier in the thread?

yeah, it wasnt bad at all, no worries. prepare, but dont stress. good luck!

congrats to both of you! its overwhelming to have someone say "yes" and validate the hard work we've been putting in to get to this point.

yeah, i wasnt expecting a call that late, but when i heard the phone ringing i flew up off the couch and headed straight for the phone, and when i saw the WV area code, i knew it had to be her. other than her telling me congrats i dont remember much else that was said. i guess we get some type of correspondence in the mail or by email soon...

Got the call too around 9:30 pm on Tuesday. ACCEPTED, and it feels AMAZING :)

Btw, for future reference- it's normal for Cindy to make the calls late at night after the committee meeting. Sometimes if there are too many calls to make, she'll have to call some the following day as well.

Congratulations to you both as well! It really feels better with that extra weight of knowing off of your shoulders!

Got the call tonight!

Hi all-

I got an interview Jan. 5, So there is a bit of hope for lower stats! GPA 3.7 MCAT 25 (B8 P9 V8.) In-State, Returned Peace Corps Volunteer. Any prep advice for interview?

Hi all-

I got an interview Jan. 5, So there is a bit of hope for lower stats! GPA 3.7 MCAT 25 (B8 P9 V8.) In-State, Returned Peace Corps Volunteer. Any prep advice for interview?

prepare, but dont stress out. everyone was extremely nice and pretty low-key. good luck!

Interviews last thru march?

Sent from my DROID3 using SDN Mobile

Thanks! I was accepted yesterday!! =)

I was just wondering if anyone knew of the total number of OOS applicants Marshall interviews and how many of them actually get accepted? I don't have MSAR :'(

I was just wondering if anyone knew of the total number of OOS applicants Marshall interviews and how many of them actually get accepted? I don't have MSAR :'(

I'm not sure how many offers they made, but last year they interviewed 94 and matriculated 30 OOS students.

Can someone comment on pros and cons of the interview?

I'm not sure how many offers they made, but last year they interviewed 94 and matriculated 30 OOS students.

Thanks for the answer. I guess that's roughly a 31 percent chance of getting accepted if interviewed...

Can someone comment on pros and cons of the interview?

I like that I was interviewed by both a physician and a non-physician member of the committee. Also, one session was pretty formal while the other was almost completely conversational.

What kind of questions did they ask out-of-staters? Could I have some examples?

Sorry, can't help you on that one. Best of luck!

^ Ok, and thanks.

So apparently they interview 95 OOS applicants and about 25 matriculate in the end. Anyone know how many people they actually accept? I imagine that they'd have to offer spots to more than 25, since some people will turn down the offer.

Also keep in mind they are highly selective of OOS being from adjoining states. They seem to favor Ohio and Kentucky being that those states are within the tri-state area. Another interesting point to look at is their matriculating class in 2011 had a total of 75 students while their matriculating class in 2012 had only 71 students. You can find this information of MSAR with a small fee of $20 or so.

lol, does this mean I have zero chance since I'm not coming from either Kentucky or Ohio? I did live in WV for a few years though.. :scared:

lol, does this mean I have zero chance since I'm not coming from either Kentucky or Ohio? I did live in WV for a few years though.. :scared:

Not necessarily. I'm not exactly sure what their search criteria nor their demographics. Most schools like to have a balance of demographics for diversity purposes. Demographics change from school to school so it's almost impossible to know what exactly they are looking to fill. Just keep the faith and contact with the school and see what the future brings.

^ Ok, and thanks.

So apparently they interview 95 OOS applicants and about 25 matriculate in the end. Anyone know how many people they actually accept? I imagine that they'd have to offer spots to more than 25, since some people will turn down the offer.

The way I understood it when talking to Cindy is that if you are accepted there is a space in the class for you (they do not offer more outright acceptances than there are seats). However, once all interviews are finished for the year in March or early spring they will re-review files and offer the rest of the seats up. If they want to accept you but seats are currently full, you can be put on the waitlist and each time someone gives up a seat it goes to someone on the waitlist. The actual number of people who are offered acceptances depends on how many people initially accepted give up their seat and free one up for someone else.

Really great school with very friendly professors and staff. Anybody else excited/terrified for the February 5th committee meeting? :scared:

February 5th committee meeting? :eek:
I wish they would call us up on the 6th to let us know their decision instead of waiting till the 29th.

I wish they would call us up on the 6th to let us know their decision instead of waiting till the 29th.

i got the call the night of the adcom meeting at about 8:30 from cindy...

good luck!

I've heard nothing from Marshall...how strong is their in-state bias for interviewing?

Is that what they're planning on doing for the OOS people? Bummer :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.