2012-2013 Marshall University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to take the fact that Cindy Warren didn't reply to my email as a sign of things to come...

I wouldn't read into it too much...

Yes, Cindy is usually great about replying quickly, but every now and then things get pretty bogged down in the office and she can't answer everybody right away.

Of course though, it's always better to be not expecting to get a phone call and get one than to be expecting one and not get one.

Members don't see this ad.

Just called. Said they are running behind. Final decisions should be out by Wednesday next week.

Cindy sent me an email saying decisions would be made today. She said she would make calls tomorrow.

Thanks for the update! ^

Looks like the Great Wait is almost at an end. Unless I get waitlisted...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the update! ^

Looks like the Great Wait is almost at an end. Unless I get waitlisted...

Marshall is definitely my first choice school, so I'd much rather be waitlisted than turned down.

Either way, it'll just be nice to know one way or the other.

Last edited:
Just got the call tonight! Accepted! :)

Did Cindy say whether or not they are calling everyone tonight? I spoke with her on the phone this afternoon and she said calls wouldn't be made until tomorrow.

She did not. She sounded like she was going to make more calls tomorrow, but that she just wanted to let me know tonight. It was pretty late, around 8:00, so I wouldnt be surprised if she waited until tomorrow for others! Crossing my fingers for you all!

Congrats, man.

I think the rest of us got waitlisted. I don't see any logical reason for Cindy to make only a few calls right now and the rest tomorrow.

Congrats, man.

I think the rest of us got waitlisted. I don't see any logical reason for Cindy to make only a few calls right now and the rest tomorrow.

Likewise. I don't understand, though. She told me on the phone this afternoon that she would be calling tomorrow, not tonight. Needless to say, this has me somewhat confused.

Got an email this morning saying I am on the alternate list...congrats to those who got accepted!

Gave them a call. Am on the alternate list. They said Cindy will be sending out emails within a few hours.

Ha, nevermind ^^^ one step ahead

Members don't see this ad :)
Gave them a call. Am on the alternate list. They said Cindy will be sending out emails within a few hours.

Ha, nevermind ^^^ one step ahead

Does anyone know how many people are on the alternate list? I read from last year that they placed about 50 on the list, but I don't know about this year.

Does anyone know how many people are on the alternate list? I read from last year that they placed about 50 on the list, but I don't know about this year.

Good question, the email was pretty cryptic about numbers/next steps...

The fact that the class size is 68 instead of 75 may have fked a few of us over. I appreciate being on the alternate list but it only makes the whole experience worse. Better to have been outright rejected.

Last edited:
35 alternates apparently. So if even 5 of the accepted 25 decline by May, it gives us 15% chance of being taken off the waitlist. Not great but not godawful.

My point being: make backup plans but don't give up hope. Now I'm gonna get off and not check this thread till May. goodbye and Good luck to y'all.

Last edited:
Better to have been outright rejected.

i'd have to disagree. youre still in the game, on the sidelines, but not back in the locker room. there will be people with acceptances that will go elsewhere and spots will open up. if you're rejected you wouldnt be in line for one. i know youre disappointed, but be real. good luck.

i'd have to disagree. youre still in the game, on the sidelines, but not back in the locker room. there will be people with acceptances that will go elsewhere and spots will open up. if you're rejected you wouldnt be in line for one. i know youre disappointed, but be real. good luck.

And I'd have to agree with this disagreement! There's still a LOT of time in the cycle. OOS movement can be pretty extensive sometimes it seems, so no sense in giving up yet. You technically still have almost five months to be accepted...

Bump!

I know it's only been a week. But my neurotic self demands to know: Has there been any movement?

Also (and this questions refer to all other schools too)

When you send LOIs/updates to admissions, what do you title the emails? I assume "letter of interest" or "application update" is too bland and they might not get read. We all know Cindy gets many emails from anxious applicants everyday.

Bump!

I know it's only been a week. But my neurotic self demands to know: Has there been any movement?

Also (and this questions refer to all other schools too)

When you send LOIs/updates to admissions, what do you title the emails? I assume "letter of interest" or "application update" is too bland and they might not get read. We all know Cindy gets many emails from anxious applicants everyday.

If Marshall will accept LOI/updates (and I don't know if they do, as I never sent any), there shouldn't be any real trick to it. Basically, tell Cindy that you have something relevant to add to your file, and specifically request that it be added. Attach whatever it is you have to say as a PDF to the email so that it is a discrete and professional letter that the committee can review.

just withdrew my acceptance from Marshall, good luck to those on the waitlist, i hope my spot goes to somebody great on SDN
beer.gif

Just withdrew mine as well... Good luck to everyone!

So I have a question... am I given consideration, as an out of state applicant, for a seat that some one in state gives up? Or am I only considered for seats left open by out of state applicants leaving?

So I have a question... am I given consideration, as an out of state applicant, for a seat that some one in state gives up? Or am I only considered for seats left open by out of state applicants leaving?

No way to know for sure...

I would guess the alternate lists are more or less separate. Perhaps there is some flexibility though as the IS vs OOS numbers can fluctuate a bit year to year.

Any body know how many OOSers got off the waitlist last year? Or the year before?

Bump.

Since there's no news I guess not much waitlist movement for oos? It's getting close to May. Maybe it's a good time to send LOIs. Last year's thread showed some movement in early May.

i just want to mention this since i know that there will be others, like myself, who will be researching past threads about different schools and their perspectives, etc.

i was extremely impressed by marshall: the staff, the curriculum, the facilities. all excellent in my opinion. i cannot say enough good things about the staff that i had the pleasure to interact with while pursuing an acceptance at marshall. had i decided to attend i am confident that i would have made an excellent choice.

so, should you decide to pursue applying to marshall, i encourage you to do so without hesitation.

no news from Marshall. This waiting game is worse than the first waiting game. Wish we knew of some OOS folks leaving. As of now, it seems everyone is still committed

May 15th is the national day where people will have to choose 1 school. We will probably hear back next Thursday. Good luck to everyone...including myself :boom:

meh... who knows how many OOS are even planning on turning down their acceptance at Marshall? :scared:

Very late, but just came across this thread. Funny to read all the comments about Huntington! I'm an undergrad at MU, can't answer many questions about their med school (other than the general look because I have visited the building and anatomy lab), but I'm happy to answer any questions about the area or Marshall in general. :thumbup:

I don't think there'll be any calls until maybe next week.

Anyone know what the waitlist ranking system is like? The website says people will be ranked at the end of the academic year... but that's different for applicants depending on when their school closes. Cindy also said that Marshall doesn't even rank, but actually re-reviews the entire waitlist when a spot opens up. So I'm pretty confused.

If anyone has asked about this and found out, please do let me know...

I don't think there'll be any calls until maybe next week.

Did Miss Warren tell you this?
Last year's post had some movement on the 16th so hopefully it's the same this year...
Today is the official date where students will have to choose schools but I'm sure they don't wait till the last minute to do so which makes me think they have re-reviewed us since someone earlier said the admissions meet every Tuesday?

I just called Ms Warren. She said there might be some OOS movement but she said that she will have a better idea tomorrow/towards the end of the week.

So, if there is indeed movement, the lucky OOS people on the alt list will hear back Friday or next week

gl all

Hey everyone! I'm currently looking for a roommate, anyone interested. I'm looking for a place right across from the hospital and BCC. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to divulge more information about myself. And fingers crossed for everyone that was waiting to hear back today. :)

Nothing on my end. Anyone get any updates so far?

Given how many of us are pining for an acceptance, it defies statistics that the vast majority of oos acceptances are not held by SDNers that post here. Maybe there's no movement this week. :(

I just emailed Miss Warren and she has an automatic response email saying she will be out of the office until May 27th. So we might not hear back until next week ( maybe )

I got in contact with Ms. Warren and was told that only 5 people had multiple acceptances. Out of those, only 2 declined Marshall by the deadline and were replaced by the end of last week.

It's over, guys. Go home. Better luck next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.