2012-2013 Marshall University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
to apply you almost have to either be IS or from a contiguous state

Or have strong ties to WV... in which case living in a contiguous state is not required.

If one of those three things is not true though (IS, contiguous, strong ties), they will not consider your application. This is quite different to WVU, as they do accept a number of applicants with no ties whatsoever.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if Cindy mentioned what date they will call OOS people who've been accepted? I wanted to ask her but I forgot.

I do live in a contiguous state...but I did send my primary in like November though. That might be why.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Cindy mentioned what date they will call OOS people who've been accepted? I wanted to ask her but I forgot.

You could just shoot her an email. She is quite friendly and very punctual about answering.

I just emailed Cindy. Let's hope I get some good news. Do you guys know how much of the class is filled?

Did anyone see that Marshall is on probation for their accreditation from LCME???

Did anyone see that Marshall is on probation for their accreditation from LCME???

I would think that any serious applicants would have come across that information by now:

1. Marshall has an entire page on their website devoted solely to LCME information (http://musom.marshall.edu/lcme/).
2. They have been on probation since 2011... so it's not exactly new.
3. There are multiple SDN threads on the subject.

If you are an applicant and it really is news to you, then rest assured it's nothing to worry too much about. Have a look through all the information at the link above. They are due for another LCME visit in June, and expect the probationary status to be lifted (which would complete the normal 2-year period).

I just emailed Cindy. Let's hope I get some good news. Do you guys know how much of the class is filled?

I don't believe anybody could say for certain. It is probably safe to assume that most, if not all, of the IS positions are filled. Cindy said the OOS positions would be filled and acceptees notified by late February or early March, so I can only assume OOS positions remain.

I have no idea what that means for interviews though. They interview <100 OOS students and seem to mostly do them all in January.

I still haven't heard back from Cindy...

If you look on their homepage they have an article from November stating that they are no longer on probation regarding their accreditation. The big issues were inadequate resources for students to perform well due to a larger lass size, limited scholarships and financial and grants to help lower, the average debt of graduating students and the recruitment of URM. I to am OOS in an adjoining state so I've followed these moves closely in the last year. No one wants to attend a school to potentially graduate and it of be accredited. All should be well with the accreditation lads. No need to worry.

I still haven't heard back from Cindy...

Getting in touch with them is a pain. I called last week and someone in the office instructed me that they were finalizing a list of OOS for the remaining interview slots. I'm assuming this was for this week's meeting but I'm not exactly sure. Hope this helps.

If you look on their homepage they have an article from November stating that they are no longer on probation regarding their accreditation. The big issues were inadequate resources for students to perform well due to a larger lass size, limited scholarships and financial and grants to help lower, the average debt of graduating students and the recruitment of URM. I to am OOS in an adjoining state so I've followed these moves closely in the last year. No one wants to attend a school to potentially graduate and it of be accredited. All should be well with the accreditation lads. No need to worry.

This is just not correct.

1. They certainly ARE still on probation. Once placed on probation, a program remains on probation for two years. Their probation began in June 2011. That's why their LCME visit is scheduled for June 2013 - to potentially life the probationary status then.

2. A program on probation is STILL FULLY ACCREDITED. Probation simply means 'you need to fix some things or else worse things (like revocation of accreditation) could potentially happen'. No US (mainland) allopathic medical school has ever lost its accrediation. Dozens are placed on probation though. And the probationary status has no effect on residency placements, as Marshall actually had a 100% match this past year - many to quite competitive residencies.

3. You cannot graduate from a school that is not accredited... in fact, that school would essentially cease to exist upon losing its accreditation. If Marshall somehow loses its accreditation (which it won't) after the upcoming survey in June, ALL of the current students would be absorbed by other medical schools (fourth year students would have already graduated and moved on to their GME spots by June).

Interviewed at Marshall as an OOSer with strong ties to the state (I do not live in an adjacent state though).

Does anyone know if Marshall gives final admission preference to adjacent-state people over strong-ties people? Or since I got an interview already, can I assume that I'm on an equal playing field as every other OOS interviewee regardless of geography?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed at Marshall as an OOSer with strong ties to the state (I do not live in an adjacent state though).

Does anyone know if Marshall gives final admission preference to adjacent-state people over strong-ties people? Or since I got an interview already, can I assume that I'm on an equal playing field as every other OOS interviewee regardless of geography?

I highly doubt there is some metric specified for this. Each case is likely weighed on its own. I know of cases of students from adjacent states with no specific WV ties being accepted and cases of students from non-adjacent states with strong WV ties being accepted. The only thing that is truly disqualifying is OOS in a non-adjacent state with no ties.

If you got an interview, I would think it's safe to assume the playing field is pretty even between you and adjacent state dwellers.

Last edited:

Really hoping it's before March 1, would be great to know one way or the other. :confused:

Anyone email Cindy recently and hear back??

Emailed a week ago and haven't heard anything back yet, but hopefully someone else has

Emailed a week ago and haven't heard anything back yet, but hopefully someone else has

Correction, just heard back this morning. According to Cindy, "We hope to have decisions to nonresidents the first week of March."

Cindy emailed me back today. I was rejected preinterview.

Cindy emailed me back today. I was rejected preinterview.

Sorry to hear that...

It seems Marshall is even pickier about having WV state ties than WVU, so perhaps that was the deciding factor.

1) Any news?

2) Anyone know what the committee process is like? From what I see in the past threads, they meet on Tuesdays. But that's all I know.

1) Any news?

2) Anyone know what the committee process is like? From what I see in the past threads, they meet on Tuesdays. But that's all I know.

They said they would make all final decisions yesterday, and notify all OOS students on the following day by phone by Wednesday.

They said they would make all final decisions yesterday, and notify all OOS students on the following day by phone by Wednesday.

Wait, as in today? So they made final decisions out of the pool of "acceptable" OOS candidates yesterday? I interviewed late January, so my memory of the process is a little fuzzy.

Interesting. Where/when did you hear this?

Since I have not received a phone call today, I guess that means I'm on the waitlist? : \

Interesting. Where/when did you hear this?

Since I have not received a phone call today, I guess that means I'm on the waitlist? : \

I have no idea about any of this but I did not receive my call until almost 9PM. I know others on the thread said the were called around 9 or 9:30 as well.

What?? Today??? No way! I emailed Cindy some time ago and she said that they would make the calls the first week of March. WTFFFFF :scared:

:eek: panic in the streets :eek:

Has anyone heard anything?

Last edited:
Nope... I guess I didn't get in then. Can the person who said we would hear back today please name his source?

Haven't heard anything either. Cindy told me it would be the first week of March too, so maybe it's too soon to give up hope :)

I asked today and they said that decisions would be made within two weeks. False alarm, carry on.

anim15.jpg

Nope... I guess I didn't get in then. Can the person who said we would hear back today please name his source?

Cindy told me after the interview on February 16th.

Maybe I misremembered because I remember thinking that the decision on OOS interviews was remarkably fast for most schools.

Sorry if I caused unnecessary panic. I was wondering myself because I thought, "maybe that means I'm waitlisted!!!"

I've heard that there are gonna be decision calls tomorrow or Wednesday. Can anyone confirm or debunk this?

This is how I feel now: :(
This is how I will feel if I see a 304 area code number pop up on my cell: :love: :naughty:

This is how I feel now: :(
This is how I will feel if I see a 304 area code number pop up on my cell: :love: :naughty:

Cindy said last Thursday that OOS offers wouldn't go out until the end of the first week of March, so try to relax until then...good luck next week!

So if I remember right. Cindy said that they interviewed less OOS students than in prior years. Like, 75 this time around instead of the usual 95... which means our chances are better.

Anyone else heard this or am I just misremembering? If true, this will make me feel a lot more optimistic.

So if I remember right. Cindy said that they interviewed less OOS students than in prior years. Like, 75 this time around instead of the usual 95... which means our chances are better.

Anyone else heard this or am I just misremembering? If true, this will make me feel a lot more optimistic.

I think you're right...what I remember is 75-80 OOS interviewees and 20-25 acceptances.

^ Ok cool, so my brain wasn't lying to me.

Anyone have updates? They did say decisions would come out this week, but I haven't spoken to the admission office in a while...

Not a word

I don't suppose anyone has heard anything tonight?

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything yet either. Was told the same thing -- would know by the end of the first week of March. Maybe later today, around close of business. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

Someone want to call them today and find out? I'd do it but I called last week and don't want to come across as the "guy who calls all the time".

Alternatively we could be patient, haha... but I'm still really nervous.

Someone want to call them today and find out? I'd do it but I called last week and don't want to come across as the "guy who calls all the time".

Alternatively we could be patient, haha... but I'm still really nervous.

Waiting is horrible, as is staring at the phone :). But as they say, a watched pot never boils, so I guess the same thing goes with phones...they never boil either.

I sent Cindy an email a couple of days ago asking about when we would hear back, but I never got a response :(

Just called. Said they are running behind. Final decisions should be out by Wednesday next week.

I'm going to take the fact that Cindy Warren didn't reply to my email as a sign of things to come...

Status
Not open for further replies.