2012-2013 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am AORTA Eligible for Interview. What is the percentage of these applicants that they accept for interview? I am out of state.

Members don't see this ad.

Rel,

I looked for this information on the website but it seems that I missed it... When does your interview process end? I'd assume April. Also, when do you stop calling and offering interview invitations?

Thank you!

Rel,

I looked for this information on the website but it seems that I missed it... When does your interview process end? I'd assume April. Also, when do you stop calling and offering interview invitations?

Thank you!

They concluded on Friday March 9th last cycle with interview days. As of Saturday February 25th I was notified that I was one of approximately 50 applicants that the were on hold in case 1-2 slots opened up on the remaining interview days. This year, I don't know what is exactly going to happen, but that is my timeline from last cycle. Hope this helps ya.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rel,

Thank you!

idontcareyouknow pretty much nailed this answer. Currently our final interview date is scheduled for March 8. We generally try to fill interview dates ~3 weeks in advance of that date. We have been running ahead of that timeline this year as I am currently filling the last two December interview dates and should complete that in the next 7-10 days.

idontcareyouknow pretty much nailed this answer. Currently our final interview date is scheduled for March 8. We generally try to fill interview dates ~3 weeks in advance of that date. We have been running ahead of that timeline this year as I am currently filling the last two December interview dates and should complete that in the next 7-10 days.
Hi REL,

Generally how long after you become AORTA-EFI do you find out if you are going to receive an interview or not?

Thanks!

Thanks Rel! Such a quick response!

Hi REL,

Generally how long after you become AORTA-EFI do you find out if you are going to receive an interview or not?

Thanks!

Been EFI since 8/23 over here and still nothing :(, but others have heard back much quicker than that. I think it just varies.

My secondaries were completed and received on July 3. I shot it right back the day after I go it. I had already written the essays and carefully revised them, as I had found them on previous blogs. My point in saying this... I, too, have heard nothing after sitting at AORTA for at least 3 months and having sent two updates. The AORTA pool is huge and I'm certain that there are 120+ candidates that are better than me (by my standards). I think this is true for about 3500 other people, too. What we hope is that UCF, by their standards, finds something unique about us that makes us attractive. I won't tell you to "keep your chin up" because I HATE when people say that to me (especially those who can't relate), but I will remind you that we're just shy of the halfway mark for interview season. There is still a lot of time left for them to call us!

My secondaries were completed and received on July 3. I shot it right back the day after I go it. I had already written the essays and carefully revised them, as I had found them on previous blogs. My point in saying this... I, too, have heard nothing after sitting at AORTA for at least 3 months and having sent two updates. The AORTA pool is huge and I'm certain that there are 120+ candidates that are better than me (by my standards). I think this is true for about 3500 other people, too. What we hope is that UCF, by their standards, finds something unique about us that makes us attractive. I won't tell you to "keep your chin up" because I HATE when people say that to me (especially those who can't relate), but I will remind you that we're just shy of the halfway mark for interview season. There is still a lot of time left for them to call us!

Keep your chin up! :laugh:

Seriously, it's a valid point. Forget keeping your chin up, just keep on trucking, living life, and most importantly, having fun. The elephant in the room that is admissions won't leave you alone, but you can still live with it there. Heck, even poke some fun at the elephant if that's your style (it's worked for me).

Actually, having absolutely no idea where I'll be in 9 months has made me think differently. This is the first time in my life where my livelihood has been compromised. I've begun searching widely for jobs. A lot of people (something like 7%?) have to do this on the daily in this country and are already past their buffer zone. We, luckily, still have 9 months. Your character builds when you have to face this reality and it really makes you sympathize with those folks who are unemployed. Many of them did nothing wrong. In essence, many of us won something on October 15, while the rest of us began to learn something important. Thinking critically about how I can have an impact just as influential as I can in medicine has led me to think about ways I can address disparities in education. Every individual is their own best healthcare provider. If we can't educate them how to do that, can we effectively eliminate disparities in healthcare? Disparities in education, in part, lead to disparities in healthcare. I don't have to be a doctor to prevent disease. I can do this as an educator. I encourage all of you to begin thinking in this or similar ways.

Actually, having absolutely no idea where I'll be in 9 months has made me think differently. This is the first time in my life where my livelihood has been compromised. I've begun searching widely for jobs. A lot of people (something like 7%?) have to do this on the daily in this country and are already past their buffer zone. We, luckily, still have 9 months. Your character builds when you have to face this reality and it really makes you sympathize with those folks who are unemployed. Many of them did nothing wrong. In essence, many of us won something on October 15, while the rest of us began to learn something important. Thinking critically about how I can have an impact just as influential as I can in medicine has led me to think about ways I can address disparities in education. Every individual is their own best healthcare provider. If we can't educate them how to do that, can we effectively eliminate disparities in healthcare? Disparities in education, in part, lead to disparities in healthcare. I don’t have to be a doctor to prevent disease. I can do this as an educator. I encourage all of you to begin thinking in this or similar ways.

+1 . I believe I first was presented with this type of thinking in a presentation by one Dr. Douglas Wallace (father of mitochondrial genetics). I wish you major luck with applications, you seem quite awesome.

Also, it's important to realize that as a Doctor, you are an educator. You can choose to enjoy that challenge or avoid it. Personally, the ability to be an educator is one of the things I love about the profession.

Been EFI since 8/23 over here and still nothing :(, but others have heard back much quicker than that. I think it just varies.

We are blessed with an applicant pool that may surpass our 2nd year of nearly 3900 apps. Other than sheer numbers, why have we not offered you an interview? Take an objective look....we are BIG on motivations (medicine = clin vol, humanism = comm svc vol) and teamwork/leadership. Strong numbers are also helpful in a large applicant pool. If your review reveals any chinks in the armor, send an update if there is something to add. I'm not calling you out, just trying to offer some help.

We are blessed with an applicant pool that may surpass our 2nd year of nearly 3900 apps. Other than sheer numbers, why have we not offered you an interview? Take an objective look....we are BIG on motivations (medicine = clin vol, humanism = comm svc vol) and teamwork/leadership. Strong numbers are also helpful in a large applicant pool. If your review reveals any chinks in the armor, send an update if there is something to add. I'm not calling you out, just trying to offer some help.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I was just trying to let slp0201 know that it can vary greatly in how long it takes to get an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get any interview invites lately?

Haven't seen any posted on here lately, but guessing the next batch will be Monday based on this post on 11/7 by REL.

I got wait listed down to bottom third. i am really worried,ucf was my first choice. Any idea what the chances are

On my interview day, REL told us that it's okay to be in the bottom third at the beginning of the cycle, as long as you're not in the bottom third at the end of the cycle. Good luck!

I got wait listed down to bottom third. i am really worried,ucf was my first choice. Any idea what the chances are

Just curious what your stats may be?

Sent from my iPhone using SmackThat Tapatalk

I have been EFI since the first week in Aug. I am IS...havent been invited to interview at any Fl schools yet. Has anyone tried sending an update or LOI...any luck? The only change I have in my app since submission is a new continual shadowing experience ....

I have been EFI since the first week in Aug. I am IS...havent been invited to interview at any Fl schools yet. Has anyone tried sending an update or LOI...any luck? The only change I have in my app since submission is a new continual shadowing experience ....

I have sent two rounds of updates thus far and will send another at the end of the year. Mine have all been publications. This afforded me an interview at UF, but no other Florida schools. My interview invite came soon after my update, though I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. I think, for the most part, the only relevant updates are:

New grades, new standardized test scores, new publications, and new service/clinical activities.

So, you should update them with this new shadowing experience. If you anticipate any of the other things happening soon, wait and lump them together in a single update. ADCOMs like few, more subtantial updates better than several low impact updates. I would never send an update that states you are simply continuing to do something that you have already indicated on your AMCAS application, but it doesn't sound like you're doing this. Good luck!

On my interview day, REL told us that it's okay to be in the bottom third at the beginning of the cycle, as long as you're not in the bottom third at the end of the cycle. Good luck!

What goku said. I'm in the same boat as you. REL said that he would be in touch every 4-6 weeks or so with updates, so hopefully we'll see some movement up that list. Good luck!

Also, my undergrad advisors suggested using a waitlist notification as an opportunity to send a letter of interest. The fact that UCF doesn't want thank-you notes sent to interviewers threw me a bit, but in this case a LOI can't hurt, right?

What goku said. I'm in the same boat as you. REL said that he would be in touch every 4-6 weeks or so with updates, so hopefully we'll see some movement up that list. Good luck!

Also, my undergrad advisors suggested using a waitlist notification as an opportunity to send a letter of interest. The fact that UCF doesn't want thank-you notes sent to interviewers threw me a bit, but in this case a LOI can't hurt, right?

If you don't mind sharing, what are your stats?

I have sent two rounds of updates thus far and will send another at the end of the year. Mine have all been publications. This afforded me an interview at UF, but no other Florida schools. My interview invite came soon after my update, though I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. I think, for the most part, the only relevant updates are:

New grades, new standardized test scores, new publications, and new service/clinical activities.

So, you should update them with this new shadowing experience. If you anticipate any of the other things happening soon, wait and lump them together in a single update. ADCOMs like few, more subtantial updates better than several low impact updates. I would never send an update that states you are simply continuing to do something that you have already indicated on your AMCAS application, but it doesn't sound like you're doing this. Good luck!

Also, congrats on your UF interview!!!!! I am an undergrad here..GREAT school :)

Thank you so much for your input! I will try a LOI good luck to you both!

I am a non-trad, worked a few years after college and did a masters, then applied.

3.09(u)/4.0(g)/40S

If you have life experience, a 4.0 grad GPA (though we don't know how many credits you took), and a 40S, you are CLEARLY prepared for medical school! They're probably just hesitant about your undergrad GPA, which I think at this point is irrelevant. However, they will have to include you in their reports of averaged stats. I suppose this can affect how the school is perceived and ultimately influence their funding sources (but this is speculatory. I don't REALLY know what I'm talking about here, admittedly). I'm in a very similar situation, except my MCAT score is much lower. For many of us with below average undergrad GPAs, the original problem is that we were busy acquiring life experience DURING college, and not just taking classes with some shadowing and volunteering worked in. In my case I had to work 25-30 hours a week in the service industry as a full time student because my family couldn't support me financially. The more humble our beginnings, the harder it is to rise against the challenge (but the more we learn and grow in the end).

In essence, I would want my doctor to be the guy with the life experience (who may have had to struggle for his or her livelihood) and the incredibly impressive academic turn around, even with a B average in undergrad, as opposed to a cookie cutter 4.0 BS/BA graduate. However, props and respect to those folks too. That, too, is a difficult task, even if you don't have to work. Good luck!

Complete 8-9, OOS, EFI 9-10, still no news. Should I be worried?

thanks, i hope you're right. It would be nice to go to school near family for once.

In my case I had to work 25-30 hours a week in the service industry as a full time student because my family couldn't support me financially.

Wow, that's impressive. It's awesome that you've overcome that adversity, are on track for med school, and still have publications coming out. Thanks for the kind words, and good luck to you as well!

Arrrrrrg..... been Eligible for Interview since September.... I'm wondering whether I'll get an interview at all. I assume that since they've had such a successful cycle with several qualified applicants, they won't need to dive into their Eligible for Interview pool? Should I still continue to hope for an invite? Or is it just wishful thinking :p Did anyone in last year's medical school class come from being on "Eligible or Interview" for months?

If you have life experience, a 4.0 grad GPA (though we don't know how many credits you took), and a 40S, you are CLEARLY prepared for medical school! They're probably just hesitant about your undergrad GPA, which I think at this point is irrelevant. However, they will have to include you in their reports of averaged stats. I suppose this can affect how the school is perceived and ultimately influence their funding sources (but this is speculatory. I don't REALLY know what I'm talking about here, admittedly). I'm in a very similar situation, except my MCAT score is much lower. For many of us with below average undergrad GPAs, the original problem is that we were busy acquiring life experience DURING college, and not just taking classes with some shadowing and volunteering worked in. In my case I had to work 25-30 hours a week in the service industry as a full time student because my family couldn't support me financially. The more humble our beginnings, the harder it is to rise against the challenge (but the more we learn and grow in the end).

In essence, I would want my doctor to be the guy with the life experience (who may have had to struggle for his or her livelihood) and the incredibly impressive academic turn around, even with a B average in undergrad, as opposed to a cookie cutter 4.0 BS/BA graduate. However, props and respect to those folks too. That, too, is a difficult task, even if you don't have to work. Good luck!
I'm also in a very similar situation. Worked throughout college, dealt with family illness, etc. I am "Eligible for Interview", but have had a pretty descent application cycle this year (first time applicant). So I definitely think that us non-trad students with low uGPA and great life experience/graduate GPA have a chance .... You've gotten this far, so I'm sure you will have no trouble surviving this gut wrenching and expensive process.... Good luck!

By the way... only one school that I interviewed at asked me to explain my uGPA... most didn't even care to mention it. Some just said "I see you had trouble in this area, but I also see how well you did later on and we know that you can handle medical school work, no need to convince us. Tell us about your research?"

Last edited:
Arrrrrrg..... been Eligible for Interview since September.... I'm wondering whether I'll get an interview at all. I assume that since they've had such a successful cycle with several qualified applicants, they won't need to dive into their Eligible for Interview pool? Should I still continue to hope for an invite? Or is it just wishful thinking :p Did anyone in last year's medical school class come from being on "Eligible or Interview" for months?

I would like to know the answer to this as well!

I have been EFI since 9/14 and still have not gotten an interview invite :confused:

EFI is the best place you can be if you have not received an invitation yet. They "dive into this pool" for all of their interview invites! The "several qualified applicants" do not have their own special pre-interview status. So, you shouldn't be too nervous, yet. They're still offering interviews, but at this point the invitations are likely for Jan or Feb. After that, they only continue for a couple of days in March, and they fill their dates about 3 weeks before the actually interview. That being said, Valentine's day is a good landmark. If you don't have an invite by then, hopefully you have a gf/bf so it's not "singles' awareness/assumed rejection day" for you! However, based on last year's thread, Rel had to dump most of the pot of leftovers on Feb 3. What a crappy job it is to have to do that. I couldn't do it. Oh well, it's better to find out then than to wait another 3 months in anticipation only to get the same response. As always, good luck everyone!

Last edited:
EFI is the best place you can be if you have not received an invitation yet. They "dive into this pool" for all of their interview invites! The "several qualified applicants" do not have their own special pre-interview status. So, you shouldn't be too nervous, yet. They're still offering interviews, but at this point the invitations are likely for Jan or Feb. After that, they only continue for a couple of days in March, and they fill their dates about 3 weeks before the actually interview. That being said, Valentine's day is a good landmark. If you don't have an invite by then, hopefully you have a gf/bf so it's not "singles' awareness/assumed rejection day" for you! However, based on last year's thread, Rel had to dump most of the pot of leftovers on Feb 3. What a crappy job it is to have to do that. I couldn't do it. Oh well, it's better to find out then than to wait another 3 months in anticipation only to get the same response. As always, good luck everyone!

Sums up the process rather well. These application cycles are kind of brutal.

Thanks for letting me off UCF panic mode... until Valentines Day LOL

got the interview invite call yesterday after being complete (didn't check status real much) since October 20ish. Very exciting and unexpected. Interviewing mid December.

Has anyone been accepted recently? I know they are rolling admissions and accept a few every now and then, but does anyone know when the next group of acceptances might be coming out?

^ Not sure, I interviewed on 10/19, got a call November 13th that I was in the top 1/3 of the waiting list and right at the half of that 1/3. Haven't heard anything since then.

i interviewed on 11/9 and was told the ad com would meet on 11/27 and I'd be getting a call on 11/28 regarding my place on the list...i would assume a few people will be accepted on that day

I really want an interview, and have been EFI for a little over a month. I am OOS and I would love to go to this school.

I have continued my volunteering experiences for the last several months (since I submitted my application). Should I update them on my continuance in these programs?

Yeah I applied in June, complete in July, and interviewed first week of October. Got the waitlist call on the October 16. Supposedly at the top of the top 1/3, but still nothing. I don't know if they haven't been sending out more acceptances or if they just haven't made movement on the waitlist, but I haven't heard anything either.

The wait is brutal I tell you!

Yeah I applied in June, complete in July, and interviewed first week of October. Got the waitlist call on the October 16. Supposedly at the top of the top 1/3, but still nothing. I don't know if they haven't been sending out more acceptances or if they just haven't made movement on the waitlist, but I haven't heard anything either.

The wait is brutal I tell you!

I do owe those who interviewed earlier an update...I have been traveling a lot and have taken on additional responsibility which has really eaten into my time. I hope to get some email updates out ?tomorrow? if at all possible.

We do have a committee meeting almost weekly and a "handful" are generally admitted at each meeting. The "not yet admitted list" has grown to ~145, admitted are 44 as of this writing. Both numbers will grow after the committee meeting tomorrow evening. Based on past history those in the upper 1/3 do not need to worry about the "if," but only the "when." ......just trying to ease the stress....

I do owe those who interviewed earlier an update...I have been traveling a lot and have taken on additional responsibility which has really eaten into my time. I hope to get some email updates out ?tomorrow? if at all possible.

We do have a committee meeting almost weekly and a "handful" are generally admitted at each meeting. The "not yet admitted list" has grown to ~145, admitted are 44 as of this writing. Both numbers will grow after the committee meeting tomorrow evening. Based on past history those in the upper 1/3 do not need to worry about the "if," but only the "when." ......just trying to ease the stress....

Hi Rel - overall, have more people been put at the top or the bottom of the waitlist since mid-November (when the waitlist had ~85 people on it)? Or has it been an even spread?

Hi Rel - overall, have more people been put at the top or the bottom of the waitlist since mid-November (when the waitlist had ~85 people on it)? Or has it been an even spread?

It is my impression that the additions to the list have been scattered throughout the list.

On another note, I will have to sent updates out tomorrow --- it would make more sense since there is a committee meeting tonight.

Approximately how long does it take for a status change after being "Ready for Review"? I was complete Nov 5.

Approximately how long does it take for a status change after being "Ready for Review"? I was complete Nov 5.

It normally should be a maximum of about 3 work weeks, to which you are pretty much at the limit. I did have one group that was turned in today that was delayed by the longer holiday. I did not get a chance to enter them today since it was just before admissions committee. If you status does not change by the end of tomorrow morning, contact the admissions office.

Status
Not open for further replies.