2013-2014 Albert Einstein Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well that isn't ideal. I would rather get a clear no than foster hope till tuition payment due date.
Ha totally in the same boat as you... I'm just assuming it's a no for me at this point; anything I get will be a pleasant surprise.

Members don't see this ad.

Well that isn't ideal. I would rather get a clear no than foster hope till tuition payment due date.
It might also be due in part that they don't know you're not going to get one yet. Presumably some people who have been given Service and Research Scholarships are going to go to other schools, and thus those scholarships can be passed on to others!

It might also be due in part that they don't know you're not going to get one yet. Presumably some people who have been given Service and Research Scholarships are going to go to other schools, and thus those scholarships can be passed on to others!
Yeah... the wait doesn't concern me as much as the possibility that we are not informed about NOT getting the scholarship at all. If we all have to wait until last day before matriculation, it's fine, but I would still like to know either way.
I actually called the admissions office and asked about it today and they told me that we get an email if we don't get the scholarship. But then I was put on hold for a minute and when the person got back on the line she said 'You'll be informed through email if you're awarded the scholarship'. So at this point I'm still not able to get a clear answer.
I was hoping that one of the second year students who were not awarded the $$ could chime in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just noticed the financial planning info in the handbook from website is different from M1 budget 14-15. In handbook, lap & comp fees = 2720 and on sheet it's 2,802. I printed out the most recent copy. Did anyone ask about this? Also, tuition and health insurance are different figures as well.

I just noticed the financial planning info in the handbook from website is different from M1 budget 14-15. In handbook, lap & comp fees = 2720 and on sheet it's 2,802. I printed out the most recent copy. Did anyone ask about this? Also, tuition and health insurance are different figures as well.
I assume they just haven't updated the online handbook yet - that's a strong possibility.

Does Einstein do silent rejections?

I interviewed in early April, and haven't heard a thing. I called yesterday and was told to be patient, the committee will meet and discuss the applications.

I thought the schools had to give accept/waitlist/reject notifications by the 15th. I understood that to mean up until the 14th but not later. Anyone have ideas about this?

From what I understand, students with more than 1 ACCEPTANCE must choose which school they would like to attend by May 15. This allows schools to know how many places they still have open and need to fill up. If a student has a WL or is still waiting for the decision to be made from an interview than that does not count as an acceptance. Let us say you were accepted at school A & B, wait listed at C, and waiting for a decision at Einstein with a top interest in Einstein. By May 15 you would have to choose between A & B (lets say you chose A), giving up a free spot at B but you can still remain in contention at C and Einstein. On a later date (lets say June 1) due to completely filled spots C sends you a rejection but Einstein who finds your application spectacular accepts you because they still have space left. Now you choose Einstein and spot frees up at school A. Now your all set but that free spot at school A will be sent to someone still on the WL for school A. Now since students accepted after may 15 are usually given only 2 weeks to tell them if they will be attending or not most movement on the WL will happen in the next couple of days. Hope this helped.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I understand, students with more than 1 ACCEPTANCE must choose which school they would like to attend by May 15. This allows schools to know how many places they still have open and need to fill up. If a student has a WL or is still waiting for the decision to be made from an interview than that does not count as an acceptance. Let us say you were accepted at school A & B, wait listed at C, and waiting for a decision at Einstein with a top interest in Einstein. By May 15 you would have to choose between A & B (lets say you chose A), giving up a free spot at B but you can still remain in contention at C and Einstein. On a later date (lets say June 1) due to completely filled spots C sends you a rejection but Einstein who finds your application spectacular accepts you because they still have space left. Now you choose Einstein and spot frees up at school A. Now your all set but that free spot at school A will be sent to someone still on the WL for school A. Now since students accepted after may 15 are usually given only 2 weeks to tell them if they will be attending or not most movement on the WL will happen in the next couple of days. Hope this helped.
Apparently I don't know how to use commas, so excuse their lack of existence in my previous post

Thanks for the clarification.
I got the rejection notice just now. Best of luck to the rest of you! Enjoy the Bronx!

Hopefully we here soon..............................

Yeah, I'm on the WL, so I hope to hear soon *fingers crossed*

Has anyone who submitted their MPN, finished the loan counseling, and stafford loan app - heard anything back yet from Einstein?

Not sure if I've missed something and have more to do or there's just no news from Einstein yet. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who submitted their MPN, finished the loan counseling, and stafford loan app - heard anything back yet from Einstein?

Not sure if I've missed something and have more to do or there's just no news from Einstein yet. Thanks!

For the stafford loan app... do you mean the one in Einstein's website?

Has anyone received any information on how to sign up for the introductory science course or housing yet?

Does anyone know how long Einstein gives students accepted from the WL to get all health forms in order. If I make summer plans that need me to leave the country will I have enough time to come back and get everything in order ?

I'm assuming not, but has anyone been accepted off the HPWL/regular WL since the May 15 deadline?

Did all the same things you did, but no, haven't heard anything either. I'm assuming it all went through, but it'd probably be a good idea to follow up with the financial aid office soon.

Can any current students comment on the nightlife at Einstein? Do most students commute all the way to Manhattan on weekends or are there some good bars near campus?

For Thursday nights, people traditionally go across the street to the 2 local bars w/ classmates for some cheap drinks and a fun time out.
On weekends tho, ppl usually head into the city for various bars and clubs.
Overall it seems that ppl go out a lot as groups and have a great time. There's a great social atmosphere at Einstein, there is no shortage of things to do etc

I'm assuming not, but has anyone been accepted off the HPWL/regular WL since the May 15 deadline?

I haven't heard anything, and it doesn't seem by this thread, but I'm anxiously waiting. Does Einstein send an email when they decide?

I haven't heard anything, and it doesn't seem by this thread, but I'm anxiously waiting. Does Einstein send an email when they decide?
I believe they send an email with acceptance yes. In past years a batch of acceptances from HPWL occurred around this time. It's been an entire year of applying but this is easily the most anxious I've been all cycle...

I believe they send an email with acceptance yes. In past years a batch of acceptances from HPWL occurred around this time. It's been an entire year of applying but this is easily the most anxious I've been all cycle...
Oh I agree. I'm really getting all impatient and anxious. I''m dying to get off of this waitlist and one other school's that I would love to go to (though I'm grateful that I have an acceptance under my belt, of course). I'm keeping my phone near me all the time and email always open

got a 'waitlist follow-up email' about an hour ago. I am on HPWL since January. Looks like movement will begin soon :)

got a 'waitlist follow-up email' about an hour ago. I am on HPWL since January. Looks like movement will begin soon :)
I got that email this morning as well! Hopefully good news is coming our way soon!!

Edit: Interviewed in mid/late March and was placed on HPWL in early/mid April.

Reactions: 1 users
I got that email this morning as well! Hopefully good news is coming our way soon!!

Edit: Interviewed in mid/late March and was placed on HPWL in early/mid April.
I have a similar timeline as you but I didn't get the email...Was it basically asking if you were still interested?

Did you write a letter of intent/interest before receiving this email? (ie - did they already know your level of interest in Einstein?). I was placed on the HPWL in January and haven't received a follow-up email. Hopefully that's not a bad sign.

There are multiple waves of this email (perhaps 2-3), according to last year's thread.

Did you write a letter of intent/interest before receiving this email? (ie - did they already know your level of interest in Einstein?). I was placed on the HPWL in January and haven't received a follow-up email. Hopefully that's not a bad sign.
I sent a letter of interest in response to the HPWL email in early April but no letter of intent. Someone else got pulled from the HPWL a few weeks ago without receiving this email beforehand so who knows! Good luck!!

Hmm, I'm on the regular waitlist and also interviewed in early/mid March. So if anyone's in that boat, I didn't get an email so you aren't alone :)

Got my formal acceptance just now via email!
Haha looks like we're on the same schedule. Just got that email as well!!

For those who are curious - Interviewed in late march, placed on the HPWL in early April and then received the email asking if my other acceptance was my top choice or if I was still interested in AECOM on Friday. So incredibly happy!!

Congrats to both of you! See you in a few months!

Ditto. Just got the email a couple of minutes ago. Really, truly torn due to generous financial aid elsewhere. Also really surprised since they basically withdrew me before the deadline to reply and I had to beg to be reinstated.

I interviewed early March, was HPWL'ed early April, and sent my LOI two-ish weeks later.

Does anyone know if there's a quick turn around on finaid packages, like within the 10 day period?

Ditto. Just got the email a couple of minutes ago. Really, truly torn due to generous financial aid elsewhere. Also really surprised since they basically withdrew me before the deadline to reply and I had to beg to be reinstated.

I interviewed early March, was HPWL'ed early April, and sent my LOI two-ish weeks later.

Does anyone know if there's a quick turn around on finaid packages, like within the 10 day period?
Not in my experience. I was accepted on May 5th and I'm still waiting for my package despite several phone calls I made to the financial aid office.

Has anyone received notification of a Service and Research Scholarship since the last wave in late April? I'm wondering out it might work for people accepted off the waitlist..

Has anyone received notification of a Service and Research Scholarship since the last wave in late April? I'm wondering out it might work for people accepted off the waitlist..
I got off the HPWL in April, but got the Service and Research Scholarship in May if that helps.

I was accepted of the HPWL yesterday, 5/29. Just letting you know there is still movement. I interviewed on 2/26 and was placed on the HPWL in April. I sent a LOI, an update, and a rec letter all within the month of April. I also called on 5/29 (pre-acceptance) asking if there was any movement. The adcom's response was that the class is not full and that I should try to update my application bi-weekly. I'm not sure if my calling was causal, but I did receive an acceptance within a couple of hours of calling. Hang in there.

I heard that many students jog around the campus area. Could you guys share where it is safe to do so?

I heard that many students jog around the campus area. Could you guys share where it is safe to do so?
Plenty of people jog around by day, there are some really nice areas to run in the surrounding neighborhoods, and very safe!
But as is anywhere in NYC, running around alone after dark in certain areas may not be the best advice.

I was accepted of the HPWL yesterday, 5/29. Just letting you know there is still movement. I interviewed on 2/26 and was placed on the HPWL in April. I sent a LOI, an update, and a rec letter all within the month of April. I also called on 5/29 (pre-acceptance) asking if there was any movement. The adcom's response was that the class is not full and that I should try to update my application bi-weekly. I'm not sure if my calling was causal, but I did receive an acceptance within a couple of hours of calling. Hang in there.

Update bi-weekly? With what? Haha