2013-2014 Albert Einstein Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wrote about both but focused on service simply because my service experiences were more extensive than my research experience. And I was awarded one! so it seems writing about both won't hurt you :)
Thanks for the advice :)

Reactions: 1 user
I realize that this is probably a hard question to answer, but I was just curious how disadvantaged people who get accepted off the waitlist are for financial aid (both need based and service and research). Do people recently accepted from the waitlist just get whatever people who were accepted in the first round turn down?

Members don't see this ad :)
HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

there's a lot of talk on last years thread about this, so def worth reading.

But in short:

You get to move in 2 weeks early (rent free) and avoid dealing with the hassle of settling in during orientation.
You also get well oriented to the neighborhood and school grounds etc - it's seriously a major help.

You get to meet like 30-40 of your classmates early and make some solid friendships - going into orientation , this is a HUGE deal. Plus a lot of the people who met during that pre-orientation time developed strong friendships and groups.

You get to spend the extra time getting to talk with upperclassmen and make some friends there as well.

You get a general idea of what med school life is like. - also good for those who may have taken some time off after college to now settle back into an academic lifestyle.

All in all I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend people do it, if they don't have a strong reason not to.

It's also a super awesome social experience, they have events planned every night for those 2 weeks (bar nights, bowling, etc etc)

(And yes, I did it and it was AMAZING!!)
Quick question about the class- how did the schedule look like when you took it (how many hours a day did you spend in class)? Was the class itself helpful in terms of preparing you for biochemistry (especially if one never took it)? Also, am I right to assume the class itself isn't graded?

Quick question about the class- how did the schedule look like when you took it (how many hours a day did you spend in class)? Was the class itself helpful in terms of preparing you for biochemistry (especially if one never took it)? Also, am I right to assume the class itself isn't graded?

So first off - this class isn't just biochem. It's intro to basic sciences - so it'll be a mix of genetics, immuno, micro, biochem etc all sprinkled together. It's only 3 hours a morning, that's it! Leaving the entire day and evening for the fun social activities that the school arranges for you all - it's super awesome and a great way to socialize!

The course isn't intense at all - no major work or studying needed - and no grades! It's just meant to break you back into things slowly.

Seriously recommend so much - it's a major awesome way to settle in and socialize!

Reactions: 1 users
Question for those who applied for the research and service scholarship: on the second essay it asked you to talk about how this scholarship will benefit you. How did you all tackle that question?

For me it seems the logical way thing is to say it will allow me to focus on pro bono and public service work. But did you guys tie in your previous experiences as well?

So first off - this class isn't just biochem. It's intro to basic sciences - so it'll be a mix of genetics, immuno, micro, biochem etc all sprinkled together. It's only 3 hours a morning, that's it! Leaving the entire day and evening for the fun social activities that the school arranges for you all - it's super awesome and a great way to socialize!

The course isn't intense at all - no major work or studying needed - and no grades! It's just meant to break you back into things slowly.

Seriously recommend so much - it's a major awesome way to settle in and socialize!

Just wanted to add something small. If you have the time to do it and want to get a head start on getting comfortable at Einstein then I think its a great option.

But DON'T feel like you will be behind on the academics by not taking the course. I was a non-trad, out from undergrad for 5 years working another career and wanted to stay in my job all the way to the last minute (my end date was 5 days before I started at Einstein) in order to save some $$$. It worked out fine and I was able to ease into the academic life just fine. I think its a great option, but by no means is it necessary.

Just wanted to add something small. If you have the time to do it and want to get a head start on getting comfortable at Einstein then I think its a great option.

But DON'T feel like you will be behind on the academics by not taking the course. I was a non-trad, out from undergrad for 5 years working another career and wanted to stay in my job all the way to the last minute (my end date was 5 days before I started at Einstein) in order to save some $$$. It worked out fine and I was able to ease into the academic life just fine. I think its a great option, but by no means is it necessary.
Thanks so much for your $.02! I'm in a similar non-trade boat so I'm weighing my options. Thanks again!

Does anyone else think the medical requirements for accepted students here is totally ridiculous? I have had so many godforsaken shots and blood tests because of these people I swear to god if someone sticks me again I'm gonna flip. :/ hope it turns out to be worth it lol.

Does anyone else think the medical requirements for accepted students here is totally ridiculous? I have had so many godforsaken shots and blood tests because of these people I swear to god if someone sticks me again I'm gonna flip. :/ hope it turns out to be worth it lol.
haha well just know that there are about 100 other people willing to take those shots for you in exchange for your spot in the class lol

Well, it's probably for your own good anyways to have all your vaccines and titers up to date ;p

If you think that is bad, just wait until you see the medical requirements and paperwork required for residency. its about over 10x-20x more crap to do.

Does anyone have the Step 1 information for Einstein students this year (and recent years)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have the Step 1 information for Einstein students this year (and recent years)?
The 2nd year class hasn't taken their step 1 yet - so no way to know about this years scores.
In general, Einstein does higher than the national average. I don't know the scores offhand though, but it must be good enough considering our pretty decent match list each year :)

Edit: when you say step 1 information, did you mean about scores or about time given to prep etc? This year, the class was given around 7.5 weeks btwn the time classes ended and when 3rd year clerkships begin. From my understanding, in general the average is typically 6-6.5 weeks off to prep.

The 2nd year class hasn't taken their step 1 yet - so no way to know about this years scores.
In general, Einstein does higher than the national average. I don't know the scores offhand though, but it must be good enough considering our pretty decent match list each year :)

Edit: when you say step 1 information, did you mean about scores or about time given to prep etc? This year, the class was given around 7.5 weeks btwn the time classes ended and when 3rd year clerkships begin. From my understanding, in general the average is typically 6-6.5 weeks off to prep.

Oh sorry, I meant scores, but thanks for the bit about the prep time.

Can someone point me in the right direction for information on the summer science course? Is there something about it on Einstein's website? I'm curious about the schedule so I can start planning travel dates but I can't seem to find info anywhere. Thank you!

Can someone point me in the right direction for information on the summer science course? Is there something about it on Einstein's website? I'm curious about the schedule so I can start planning travel dates but I can't seem to find info anywhere. Thank you!
Don't have the dates or link offhand, but it starts 2 weeks prior to whenever the official orientation starts.

Oh sorry, I meant scores, but thanks for the bit about the prep time.

I wanna say the last class was 231 with a bimodal distribution. It is my personal belief that the earlier and more "efficiently" you start preparing directly correlates to your score more then anything the school can give you. I started preparing early and I was ready to take my exam before the study period even started. The class under me had quite a few +260 scorers, one if which I knew started slowly preparing at the beginning of second year (which is my recommendation on when to start). Einstein always gives you more then enough study time - its about time and stress management to prevent yourself from burning out or having to cram.

Hey guys...so I was waitlisted (not high priority) and forgot to notify them that I wanted to be on the wait list. I was just informed that I have been withdrawn due to my carelessness. Was there any hope at all getting in off the normal, not the HP, waitlist?

Hey guys...so I was waitlisted (not high priority) and forgot to notify them that I wanted to be on the wait list. I was just informed that I have been withdrawn due to my carelessness. Was there any hope at all getting in off the normal, not the HP, waitlist?
Tough to say.. even being on the HPWL, it's tough to feel confident about one's chances of getting off it.. Sorry about the withdrawal though.

I had the same thing happen, I was out of the country so I explained the situation and was put back on the list.

I'll be sending an LOI (interest) here soon. Should I send it to anybody other than the office of admissions?
When I submitted mine I just emailed it to the general admissions email. It worked out for me to!

When are we able to sign up for this? I'm planning on living off-campus so do you think the experience will be similar, socially, to those who are living on-campus?

midnightoit, why are you planning on living off campus when on campus housing so much more affordable and convenient.

Also, do the apartments on campus come with basic furnishing i.e a bed( what size?), fridge, etc?

midnightoit, why are you planning on living off campus when on campus housing so much more affordable and convenient.

Also, do the apartments on campus come with basic furnishing i.e a bed( what size?), fridge, etc?
Not by choice. I have a significant other that refuses to do student housing and we have two cats (pets not allowed on premises). Otherwise, I would totally do it.

The bedrooms are empty - you need to bring (or buy) bed, desk, lamp, etc. Ikea is always very popular lol

As for kitchen, that's fully furnished with fridge, stove, etc.

When are we able to sign up for this? I'm planning on living off-campus so do you think the experience will be similar, socially, to those who are living on-campus?
I think you'll get the info to sign up probably soon. As for the social experience - if you come to all the events both on a diff campus etc, it can def be a great experience! Obviously living on campus helps a bit, but if you make the effort to come to the social events etc, you'll def get a lot of it and have a great time.

HP waitlist 4/27. Accepted today!!! couldn't be happier.

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know if we should expect some sort of confirmation of receipt (like an email) after we mail in our completed medical forms?
Hey - Can you tell me how long it took to get your medical stuff taken care of? I have my doctor's appt coming up. For example, did you have to wait a certain number of weeks in between things? If my appt is this week and I'll get my shots then, how much longer until I have it ready to hand in?

Hey - Can you tell me how long it took to get your medical stuff taken care of? I have my doctor's appt coming up. For example, did you have to wait a certain number of weeks in between things? If my appt is this week and I'll get my shots then, how much longer until I have it ready to hand in?
The quickest you could possibly do it is 9 days: Day 1 you get first ppd placed, bloodwork and physical. Day 3 you get first ppd read. Day 7 you get the second ppd placed. Day 9 you get second ppd read. It's a minimum of 4 trips to the doctor's office, which is pretty annoying, but what can ya do....

Been on HPWL since mid-march. Sent the first letter . Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I think it's more like 50%

Posted using SDN Mobile
Honestly I think it def varies year by year - I would imagine it completely depends on how many of the students they accept decide to choose Einstein or another school instead. So saying a specific % is hard to know...

Congratulations! Have you applied for the S&R scholarship after being put on the HP list?
I'm a HPWL person who got a S&R scholarship if that's what you're trying to figure out.

I'm a HPWL person who got a S&R scholarship if that's what you're trying to figure out.
I am wondering if an applicant on the HPWL has to apply for the scholarship in order to be accepted.

I don't think that applying to the scholarship has any bearing on whether or not you get accepted to the medical college, but why not apply?

Has anyone received merit scholarships other than Service and Research and financial?

Hey! Has anyone who interviewed early April heard back yet? Just wondering, thanks!