2013-2014 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think you are likely to get a better clinical experience at Wayne. Also, research is surprisingly easy to find.
Agree with this. From all accounts, nothing compares with doing your clinical rotations in Detroit. You will see more, and you will do more, here. Also, I don't know what Michigan State's match list looks like, but from Wayne's, you would have no problems specializing from here.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed in Early March. Is there any sort of admissions tracker for Wayne State such as admissions offers made, waitlisted, etc. out there? I am feeling very anxious and eager to hear back. Middle of April seems so far away!

Didn't see a match list here... and I'm not sure if it's public yet so I won't post the whole thing, but here are some highlights:

Baylor Gen Surg
Hopkins PM&R
UMich Neurosurg (4 neurosurg total - the others to WSU and Henry Ford x2)
UMich Integrated Plastics
Baylor Radiology
Wash U Medicine
Wash U Gen Surg
Mayo Neurology
Pittsburgh Gen Surg
UCSD Ortho (2 people)
Yale Neurology
Vanderbilt Anesthesia
Northwestern Anesthesia
Cleveland Clinic Medicine
NY Presby - Columbia Anesthesia
Our first integrated vascular in a while - UMass
ENT at Wayne, Indiana, and Kentucky
UCLA for Peds x2
UTSW Ortho
Cinci Children's Peds
Stanford Anesthesia
Umich Radiology x3
Wash U Derm
Plus like 4ish to UMich Medicine.

As has been true the past several years we matched extremely well for anesthesia (there were a couple at UM, plus the programs above). ER wasn't bad this year, the usual mix of academic places (UM, Mayo, etc) and inner-city trauma hospitals (UIC, WSU, HFHS, etc.). We also matched like 7 to derm - 3 to WSU, 2 to Henry Ford, Wash U, and Case Western. Radiology was strong as well. Gen Surg was also strong this year with Baylor, Pittsburgh, and Wash U the highlights, up from last year that was weak. 2 years ago was probably the strongest Gen Surg match - Penn, Vandy, and UCSF, among others. This year the mix was something like 70% specialty and only 30% primary care... so obviously if you want to specialize and/or go into competitive fields you will have a good chance to. Of course, there were unmatched in several fields so like most things at Wayne, it really is what you make of it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in Early March. Is there any sort of admissions tracker for Wayne State such as admissions offers made, waitlisted, etc. out there? I am feeling very anxious and eager to hear back. Middle of April seems so far away!
Seriously...people keep asking me and it's hard to keep telling them "I don't know yet!". Family/friends/co-workers seem to be perplexed on how long the process can stretch and how you can be left waiting until a few months before!

Seriously...people keep asking me and it's hard to keep telling them "I don't know yet!". Family/friends/co-workers seem to be perplexed on how long the process can stretch and how you can be left waiting until a few months before!

Believe me, I know this agonizing wait all too well. Canadian apps are even more excruciating. We submit them at the end of Sep/early October. Interviews are sent in late January (EARLIEST), early Feb or in University of Toronto's case ... whenever they want. And offers of admissions are sent in MAY or later through the summer as wait list movement occurs. Of course there are positives too, like NO SECONDARIES. :D

Since the topic of residency match is brought up, I don't know what to make of the 95% (96% ?) match rate. I just can't help wonder how 5% were not matched. Could any students give an idea about what possibly leads to individuals not matching? I don't know much about the whole process at this stage so just curious.

I am unendingly curious about this too so I asked a lot of our faculty/deans/advisors about it. Essentially, there's a tension between the administration -- who wants everyone to have at the very least a successful match, and will advise people whose applications aren't that competitive to remove derm or ophtho and apply to something a little more realistic, or at least ADD a significant amount of safety applications in fields that aren't their top choice -- and the students, who want to apply to things they want to do and not settle for less than that. That said, I *really* like our advising staff here. The class of 2016 counselor is a super chill and great woman who will give people honest advice about their careers, where they are at as an applicant, etc. She basically told me that FOR THE MOST PART the people who don't match don't (in her estimate) heed the advice they are given from school -- this basically boils down to: if they are applying for something competitive, people need to make sure they are applying to enough programs to ensure a successful match (some people just apply to derm, or ortho, or whatever, without also applying internal medicine as a backup, for example) to enough programs to ensure the same. I am positive that there are more factors that go in to someone not matching and it can't possibly be invariably that they just didn't apply to enough programs, but really those are case-by-case situations. (I'm not entirely sure if people who chose to withdraw from match are actually counted in the match rate, I am still trying to figure out how the statistics work)

I was at match day, and there really were a ton of crying, smiling, shocked people (including at my table!) and it was a great environment to be around. There were so many people who said "I got my first choice!" and they were off to whatever happy place they had determined was the perfect program for them. It was really great to see.

Since the topic of residency match is brought up, I don't know what to make of the 95% (96% ?) match rate. I just can't help wonder how 5% were not matched. Could any students give an idea about what possibly leads to individuals not matching? I don't know much about the whole process at this stage so just curious.

What togadere said was correct for nearly everybody who didn't match. You can usually predict who isn't going to match a long ways ahead of time - people with delusions of getting into Hospital for Special Surgery ortho and 210s on their Steps. Usually it isn't that extreme, but it's not that far off. People apply to ortho, optho, derm, etc. and don't have any backup and say they will "do research" if they don't match and reapply... even though it is incredibly difficult to match after a year off after graduating.

This year, there are really maybe only one or two people who I'm genuinely surprised didn't match - people with solid scores, did all the right things, etc. and still didn't match. Now I don't know what those people's backstories is - whether they didn't apply to/rank enough programs (most likely) or interviewed really poorly (possible) or had some other red flag on their application (cheating accusation? DUI? I don't know) that would make it tough to match.

Bottom line is, generally if you don't match, there is a pretty good reason for it. Even people with terrible step scores (<205) matched family or psych or low-tier IM/peds. So, it really depends on how realistic and aggressive you're willing to be with applications.

Reactions: 1 user
What togadere said was correct for nearly everybody who didn't match. You can usually predict who isn't going to match a long ways ahead of time - people with delusions of getting into Hospital for Special Surgery ortho and 210s on their Steps. Usually it isn't that extreme, but it's not that far off. People apply to ortho, optho, derm, etc. and don't have any backup and say they will "do research" if they don't match and reapply... even though it is incredibly difficult to match after a year off after graduating.

This year, there are really maybe only one or two people who I'm genuinely surprised didn't match - people with solid scores, did all the right things, etc. and still didn't match. Now I don't know what those people's backstories is - whether they didn't apply to/rank enough programs (most likely) or interviewed really poorly (possible) or had some other red flag on their application (cheating accusation? DUI? I don't know) that would make it tough to match.

Bottom line is, generally if you don't match, there is a pretty good reason for it. Even people with terrible step scores (<205) matched family or psych or low-tier IM/peds. So, it really depends on how realistic and aggressive you're willing to be with applications.

People from the waitlist certainly get accepted (every acceptance round actually, except for the first one) and can hear back at any acceptance release date. Once the last acceptance release date passes, and especially past May 15th, waitlist peeps will start getting the call on any day.

Does anyone know if people from the wait-list get accepted? When is the date for wait listed people to hear back?

Has Wayne posted its 2014 match list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy, everyone.
I finalized my secondary application materials in the last couple weeks of November--and I still haven't heard anything back involving an interview offer or a flat out denial. Do I have any options at this point? Am I completely out of luck?
3.9 GPA, 30 MCAT reporting in.

They've already finished interviewing.

They've already finished interviewing.
Really...? I thought interviews went on till their last decision date at least (which was recently changed to April as we heard).

I was told on my interview date that the last interview day was on March 31st :/

I feel like they can't have finished quite yet or else I would have gotten a "sorry, you're not a winner" notice haha.
Maybe they have for out of state?

I interviewed 3/31, and was told while I was there that the last interview date was going to be 4/3.

Good luck to all who interviewed recently and also to those on the waitlist!

Final waitlist... Does that even mean anything?

Lol, final waitlist as well. Looks like lots of people are getting that today. Frustrating to be on the waitlist since November

Last edited:
wait list too - out of state (Canadian)..any one have any idea how much the wait list moves?

I think it means that since it's their last decision day there will be no more additions to the waitlist, so those on it will be the final pool which they will take people off. Hang in there, I hear Wayne has tons of movement.

In other news, I got accepted today!
IS 3.7~30

Does anyone know what the final deadline date is for people accepted to put down the deposit? Is it May 15? I couldn't find it anywhere online. And I just had my interview on March 31 and was wait listed as well =/ I am hoping for the beautiful day in May to be my golden ticket!

Final waitlist as well. Has anyone been rejected post-interview yet?

Is final alternate list different than final wait list? My email said alternate.

Does anyone know what the final deadline date is for people accepted to put down the deposit? Is it May 15? I couldn't find it anywhere online. And I just had my interview on March 31 and was wait listed as well =/ I am hoping for the beautiful day in May to be my golden ticket!

When I got accepted the letter said that we have two weeks to send in a written acceptance of the offer and a form. There's no deposite, which is super nice lol!

Just withdrew my acceptance to this awesome school. Was tough but I had to do it

Reactions: 3 users
Is there a difference between "Final Waitlist," "Final Alternate List," and "Alternate List"?

I'm a bit confused.

Final wait list.... Really bummed. Anyone know how much alternative movement there is? This is my number one choice.

Final wait list.... Really bummed. Anyone know how much alternative movement there is? This is my number one choice.
Same. They passed over my application since every decision date from my interview. It worries me that I was carried over for this long.

I think it means that since it's their last decision day there will be no more additions to the waitlist, so those on it will be the final pool which they will take people off. Hang in there, I hear Wayne has tons of movement.

In other news, I got accepted today!
IS 3.7~30
Congrats, it's nice to hear that some people are getting good news at least. Were you accepted off the waitlist or right away?

Congrats, it's nice to hear that some people are getting good news at least. Were you accepted off the waitlist or right away?

Right away. I didn't interview till end of March.

Right away. I didn't interview till end of March.
Congrats, I was accepted right away as well, interviewed late, which was the last day I think. I am a non-traditional student who used to work at the DMC, have over 8000 hours of clinical experience, great letters of reccomendations by current faculty and alumni. It is awesome to be accepted!

Good luck guys! You have waited this long! You can do it! I am sure you're all deserving candidates and hope you guys hear the good news in May. Almost there!

Ok, so I need some advice. I REALLY want to go to Wayne. However, I was recently accepted to MSUCOM. I have nothing against being a DO, but I want to be an interventional cardiologist... and I am wondering if I will lose great fellowship opportunities because of the DO background. Anybody have an insight on this? My aunt graduated from MSUCOM and she is an oncologist.. She is really worried for me because she was flat out denied a residency interview at some places since she had a DO degree. I don't know if it is still like that. This is a dilemma because MSUCOM starts june 11! I could hear back from Wayne May 15 or later... sigh.

Interviewed 3/12. Alternate List 4/8. This is my top choice school. I am hoping for some movement before May 15th. I was accepted at MSU CHM and Western.

Last edited:
Speaking to people at MSU-COM or very recent graduates would be able to speak to this more, but being that MSU-COM is one of the best DO schools in the country, your best bet for competitive specialties (of the DO schools) would be from there I reckon. I have heard that anti-DO bias was waning a bit, but through some grapeviney talk I also heard that some local places are still continuing the anti-DO thing and favoring MD grads for residency spots. If you really want to be an interventional cardiologist and got accepted to DO schools only, i would suggest trying to find someone (younger the better, as I think an older person would speak to a bit of an outdated social discrimination milieu) who fits that profile (DO interventional cardiologist) and who can speak to any barriers they faced (If it is too hard to find that person, then that might be an unfortunate answer as well). I think the anti-DO thing is pretty dumb, personally, but it's hard to deny it exists and I think your concerns are valid and worth looking in to.

I also would advise that people's minds change A LOT in school. You've probaby heard that before, but I have seen so many people in my class evolve in what they are interested in and we aren't even on the wards yet. So what I would think was unfortunate is if you threw away an acceptance to a great medical school because you're afraid it won't offer you the ability to match in a residency/fellowship you can't guarantee you will actually have the same passion for now than you will in your fourth year. I don't know you or your background, so I apologize if this is offensive to you in any way. I am just coming from watching people match into things way different than their background or 1st year interest because something unpredictable sparked their interest down the line. So what I am saying is that getting into DO school is a great achievement, will result in you being a physician, and will allow you have a fulfilling career in medicine if you are open to the path.

Wayne is still your first choice tho, which is great! If you hear back from Wayne any time between now and the day that MSUCOM starts, then absolutely you should jump on the opportunity. But if you do not end up getting accepted, I really don't think that means you've lost out in any real ways considering the school you are already accepted to has a lot to offer.

Ok, so I need some advice. I REALLY want to go to Wayne. However, I was recently accepted to MSUCOM. I have nothing against being a DO, but I want to be an interventional cardiologist... and I am wondering if I will lose great fellowship opportunities because of the DO background. Anybody have an insight on this? My aunt graduated from MSUCOM and she is an oncologist.. She is really worried for me because she was flat out denied a residency interview at some places since she had a DO degree. I don't know if it is still like that. This is a dilemma because MSUCOM starts june 11! I could hear back from Wayne May 15 or later... sigh.

Last edited:
Is final alternate list different than final wait list? My email said alternate.

Alternate list is the same as final alternate list. Applicants are ranked after the interview. However, the Admissions Committee keeps the rank confidential and an applicant will never be told their rank.

Speaking to people at MSU-COM or very recent graduates would be able to speak to this more, but being that MSU-COM is one of the best DO schools in the country, your best bet for competitive specialties (of the DO schools) would be from there I reckon. I have heard that anti-DO bias was waning a bit, but through some grapeviney talk I also heard that some local places are still continuing the anti-DO thing and favoring MD grads for residency spots. If you really want to be an interventional cardiologist and got accepted to DO schools only, i would suggest trying to find someone (younger the better, as I think an older person would speak to a bit of an outdated social discrimination milieu) who fits that profile (DO interventional cardiologist) and who can speak to any barriers they faced (If it is too hard to find that person, then that might be an unfortunate answer as well). I think the anti-DO thing is pretty dumb, personally, but it's hard to deny it exists and I think your concerns are valid and worth looking in to.

I also would advise that people's minds change A LOT in school. You've probaby heard that before, but I have seen so many people in my class evolve in what they are interested in and we aren't even on the wards yet. So what I would think was unfortunate is if you threw away an acceptance to a great medical school because you're afraid it won't offer you the ability to match in a residency/fellowship you can't guarantee you will actually have the same passion for now than you will in your fourth year. I don't know you or your background, so I apologize if this is offensive to you in any way. I am just coming from watching people match into things way different than their background or 1st year interest because something unpredictable sparked their interest down the line. So what I am saying is that getting into DO school is a great achievement, will result in you being a physician, and will allow you have a fulfilling career in medicine if you are open to the path.

Wayne is still your first choice tho, which is great! If you hear back from Wayne any time between now and the day that MSUCOM starts, then absolutely you should jump on the opportunity. But if you do not end up getting accepted, I really don't think that means you've lost out in any real ways considering the school you are already accepted to has a lot to offer.

I didn't take what you said as offensive at all! I actually just had a good chat with one of the residents I work with at an urgent care and she was telling me that she heard fellowships are being combined so there isn't a difference between MD/DO. I am going to do some more research. But yes, I decided I will absolutely be taking the acceptance at MSUCOM if Wayne doesn't work out. Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it :)

Does anybody know anything about Wayne taking you off of the alternate list if you are enrolled in a do school? How would they know?

Does anybody know anything about Wayne taking you off of the alternate list if you are enrolled in a do school? How would they know?
Never heard of anything like that.