2013-2014 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! This is going to be a tough choice between here and OUWB.
What is going to make the decision so tough?

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted off the waitlist!!! IS, 30mcat, 3.71sgpa, non-trad.

Reactions: 1 user
What is going to make the decision so tough?

I'm not a huge fan of Wayne's location and I didn't get the greatest overall atmosphere there. I know some students there and they don't seem particularly happy but that could just be me misinterpreting things. But they are an established school with a good reputation, and it's a bit cheaper than Oakland too.

I liked OUWB a lot though. Great impression everytime i've been there, the admissions staff knows you by name and they are very helpful and friendly. Beaumont was great and the students had almost uniform positive feedback. However, it's still a newer school so there's that bit of uncertainty there. And it's a little more expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure thing Canadia92,
3.95/37 GPA/MCAT
I think I have fairly standard ECs, hospital stuff and a few leadership spots throughout undergrad. I am really into teaching so a lot of my activities revolved around that.
I interviewed mid-Feb, felt it went well. My interviewer and I connected over the topic of education and importance of family. He was very friendly and the interview was quite conversational.

I'm not a huge fan of Wayne's location and I didn't get the greatest overall atmosphere there. I know some students there and they don't seem particularly happy but that could just be me misinterpreting things. But they are an established school with a good reputation, and it's a bit cheaper than Oakland too.

I liked OUWB a lot though. Great impression everytime i've been there, the admissions staff knows you by name and they are very helpful and friendly. Beaumont was great and the students had almost uniform positive feedback. However, it's still a newer school so there's that bit of uncertainty there. And it's a little more expensive.
I like Wayne just fine. It has its administrative quirks, but nothing terribly inconvenient. The clinical faculty that I've interacted with have all been really good. Also, I've heard there is a mandatory attendance policy at OUWB.

I am not at all trying to sway your decision but i just wanted to say that i am a non-traditional student who came in with basically zero science background and i have found wayne to be a great place to be. Physiology and anatomy were kind of rough but the administration is very responsive to people who are proactive about getting help (i have said this before but bears repeating, i think our counselors are top notch). Say what you will about traditional curriculum, and there's a lot to be said in the negative, but the amount of repetition we get has filled in a lot of gaps for me and I feel now that i am on par with the science major undergrad types. I know nothing about MSU so it may be a better fit for you.

Congrats to everyone who recently got accepted! Good luck to those still waiting to hear.

I also was just taken off the waitlist. I'm in-state and interviewed mid-March. I've been planning on going to MSU CHM so now I'm not sure but I'm kind of leaning away from WSU. I'm a nontraditional student without the strongest science background, so I'm really nervous about doing well. MSU seems to have more academic support programs and a smaller class size might mean more attention? I was placed in Lansing though and am really not excited about that. Hmm. What to do.

Hi again! I just wanted to give a big thanks to those who answered questions on here. I had eliminated other others but was seriously torn between WSU and another program and you all helped me make the decision: I'll be at Wayne! :)

I was in the same situation with the same thoughts (like... I could have wrote this word for word) and ended up choosing WSU... The biggest reason? The clinical and research experiences. I think part of me wanted to choose OU because I wanted the "experience" that's sold... But in the end I guess, for me, I tried to choose which place would teach me medicine better and offer the best opportunities for a career in medicine, and I thought WSU won there. Oh, and I thought about it, and a lot of people I know with a lot of required sessions at their schools seem to grow tired of them so as much as OU seems nice for those things now, I think I'll appreciate that I can stream and such once school starts. Plus, YES, the price thing, I'll be honest, ;).

But, anyway, I know it's a tough decision... I didn't decide until the evening of May 14... LOL. GOOD LUCK, whichever school you choose.

Does anyone know if OOS students are accepted after the first couple days?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not at all trying to sway your decision but i just wanted to say that i am a non-traditional student who came in with basically zero science background and i have found wayne to be a great place to be. Physiology and anatomy were kind of rough but the administration is very responsive to people who are proactive about getting help (i have said this before but bears repeating, i think our counselors are top notch). Say what you will about traditional curriculum, and there's a lot to be said in the negative, but the amount of repetition we get has filled in a lot of gaps for me and I feel now that i am on par with the science major undergrad types. I know nothing about MSU so it may be a better fit for you.

Congrats to everyone who recently got accepted! Good luck to those still waiting to hear.

I was actually really worried about this as a non-science major in WSU's traditional curriculum. Do you have any tips, in addition to meeting with the counselors, for overcoming that barrier at the start?

So did the wave of acceptances come out today? Or are they doing like a rolling acceptances thing? Am I going to get yet another email that says "Your status has not changed"?

I am saying the following with the understanding that everyone is different. What worked for me may not work for you, etc etc.

The roughest thing about first year was just the adjustment to the volume. I did not find the material that obtuse in and of itself. How i survived first year is that i did not let the anxiety and self-doubt prevent me from tackling as much of the material as I could, and i trusted that i could retain enough of the information to at least get me to pass through anatomy, which is a huge hurdle. The biggest problem is that at the beginning of school the whole "comparing to others" beast really rears its ugly head, and it seemed like other people were way more comfortable with the material when i basically didn't know the difference between medial and lateral and what a kidney did at all. Coming from the perspective of second year though, i know now that a whole month is a really long time to learn something if you stay on it. For histology, i would answer all the objective questions at the beginning of specific sections in the course pack (tedious at times but definitely helps). For anatomy, i would just keep going over the material and being okay with not knowing stuff immediately. It is going to seem like other people know way more. Maybe they do, maybe they are just over-confident, but it doesn't matter. What matters is for you to get comfortable with the material, which basically just means going over it again and again until you've seen it so many times it's second nature. Like i said, anatomy isn't a particularly *complicated* discipline (compared to physio for instance), it just is a lot of material so i found the major difficulty for me was just managing my anxiety. Spend *productive* time in lab looking at good dissections. Recognize those students who modified (are taking anatomy over again so might seem more comfortable with the material). Utilize their expertise but don't be intimidated by how much they seem to know (can you tell yet that i was a tad bit freaked out by anatomy lab?)

Oh and gray's anatomy for students is a really helpful book in case you just don't get something that the instructors are teaching you. Good narrative and goes into more explanation than what you might get from the course pack.

EDIT: wanted to add more stuff. If you are coming from a science background deficit I definitely think it's worthwhile to stop yourself when you are studying whenever you come across something you're not totally clear on that seems like background material. A concept (this happened to me when they started discussing parasympathetics/sympathetics in anatomy and I had only a vague understanding of what those words meant) definition, acronym, anything you're not totally sure on. Just stop yourself, look it up using any kind of reliable resource (wikipedia is actually included here) and write it down in your notes or whatever. If you see that same thing again and you're still not sure, do it again. The most important thing is to make connections and build as much of a base as possible. I am living proof that getting an acceptable score on the MCAT does not necessarily mean that someone has a good handle on basic sciences, and I have learned a TON from medical school. Taking the time to examine where I wasn't understanding something I think has really paid off this year, and so far it's working out for me too as I am studying for step 1 and taking practice exams and stuff. I am not really that great at memorizing things.. I need to figure out the logic of things and how different things work together to have an organ system function or for a disease process to progress. So basically what I am saying is take the time to build your knowledge and understanding first year and fill in those gaps early. Oh, and DO NOT stress about grades in whatever way you know how. Get as much knowledge as the time allotted, get whatever score you're going to get, move on to the next exam.

Get through that part and then we will talk strategies for physio ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Much appreciated - are you In State or Out Of State? Think it might be important for waitlisters since I believe there are separate lists for IS and OOS students.

Sorry I forgot to mention I was IS.

I'm on the waitlist, but I will be withdrawing in favor of a Canadian school. Not sure if this is helpful to anyone though

I'm on the waitlist, but I will be withdrawing in favor of a Canadian school. Not sure if this is helpful to anyone though
Congratulations Savac! I am very happy for you. You earned it buddy.

Hey snarkie and okokok, do you guys mind posting your stats? OOS student really hoping for a spot!

Just like GPA/MCAT/ec's/how you felt about interview/and interview date if you guys don't mind!

My stats aren't great: 30 mcat (one section a 7), GPA 3.7. I'm a non-traditional student and I have some pretty interesting/unusual EC's, though. My interview lasted 5 minutes, and I was weirded out by that so I stretched it out to 15 minutes by asking questions. I got lucky because my interviewer seemed to really like me right off the bat based on my essays and application.

Congratulations to everyone accepted off the wait-list! For the rest, I hope we hear good news soon!

Last edited:
Called admissions and they said they are going to release the wave of waitlist-acceptances next week -- most likely on Monday or Tuesday -- as opposed to the traditional May 15/16th offers. Best of luck everyone!!
It seems this is not the case anymore?

I feel there should be a wave still today or tomorrow. Not enough got in Friday it seems. At least I hope so.

It seems this is not the case anymore?

Idk what to tell you :sorry: ... this is what I was told by someone in admissions when I called last week. I'm equally as confused...not sure when the next batch of acceptances might be.

Good luck everyone! I am crossing my fingers that today is the day we hear GREAT news! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Idk what to tell you :sorry: ... this is what I was told by someone in admissions when I called last week. I'm equally as confused...not sure when the next batch of acceptances might be.
It's okay! I just called Admissions and they said they will make offers on Thursdays and Fridays until the end of July.

This waiting game is really getting old. Hope there is a "pot of gold" at the end of all this.

Reactions: 1 users
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but there has historically been a ton of waitlist movement at Wayne (both IS and OOS).
Especially with no other acceptances though (at least speaking for myself) it is really hard to be patient :/ but it's all we can do.

Hey guys,
So I got accepted to WSU last week and I really want to go but I am in the middle of my masters and I would feel really bad leaving my project in the middle. I would really like to defer going for a year. That would also allow me to save me more money and I have already signed another year lease in the city I am doing my masters. I didn't think I would get in and I also wanted interview experience which is why I applied. Does anyone have any experience with deferral at WSU? Would they accept finishing a master's as a valid reason to do so? On their website they say deferrals are granted infrequently...

Hey guys,
So I got accepted to WSU last week and I really want to go but I am in the middle of my masters and I would feel really bad leaving my project in the middle. I would really like to defer going for a year. That would also allow me to save me more money and I have already signed another year lease in the city I am doing my masters. I didn't think I would get in and I also wanted interview experience which is why I applied. Does anyone have any experience with deferral at WSU? Would they accept finishing a master's as a valid reason to do so? On their website they say deferrals are granted infrequently...
Do the right thing and give up your spot to someone ready to attend WSU at a moment's notice.

Hey guys,

If they don't rescind your acceptance for requesting a deferral then I don't see the harm in trying. I don't know about the US, but here in Canada, deferring for completing an ongoing graduate degree is considered a legitimate reason.

Hey guys,

I don't get this. At all. You applied to medical schools...for the interview experience?

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys,
Applying to medical school seems like a very troublesome and expensive way to just get interview experience.

Give qchick a break y'all. I know it has to be frustrating hearing about this especially if you are waiting on an acceptance. Things like this do happen sometimes tho and i have known people to apply basically to get some practice going through the process while they gear up for their "real" application. I've heard of this happening especially when people decide late in the cycle to to just go ahead and apply and think it might be too late for an acceptance. Not saying it's completely the right way to go but it does happen.

Qchick, congratulations on your acceptance! Worst case scenario is that you have to drop out of your master's program to start med school, which definitely is in the category of "good problems to have." (Leases in my mind are of lower priority. Can always be gotten out of in the face of unexpected circumstances, even if it might be an expensive endeavor). Best case is that the school offers the deferral. My hunch says that because deferrals are granted on a case-by-case basis, even if people had experience with them you'd still need to find out if it works out in your case. Wanting to finish a project seems legit to me but i do not know what the school's official stance is on it.

I was under the impression that there would a high wait-list movement as soon as may 15th hit.
Is it safe to assume that this wait-list movement has come and gone?

I was under the impression that there would a high wait-list movement as soon as may 15th hit.
Is it safe to assume that this wait-list movement has come and gone?
A batch definitely went out on the 16th (as I got one), but I'm sure more will come in fits and starts. A game of musical chairs - med school edition is currently going on around the country and it takes a while for it to play all the way out.

I have just declined my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you :)

Reactions: 6 users
Just got accepted! gpa 3.89 mcat 34Q OOS Canadian. Good luck to all still on the wait list. Patience pays off.

Reactions: 3 users
I just declined my acceptance. Good luck

Reactions: 4 users
Just made an account to say got accepted this morning :) Canadian 31MCAT ~3.8GPA

Still waiting to hear something... and I am in IS :( It is coming to the point where I am just going to have to be satisfied with MSUCOM. (Not that it isn't a great school, just wasn't my top choice)

Also still waiting. OOS Congrats to those accepted, doing my best to keep hopes up.

Still waiting to hear something as well. IS, thought they had IS bias but I guess not.

They do have more seats for the IS, but they apparently have two waitlists one for IS and one for OOS( in order to keep a certain proportion of IS and OOS). I'd imagine the OOS waitlist moves much more rapidly due to the super-high cost of OOS tuition

Maybe they are doing OOS acceptances today and IS tomorrow. It looks like all OOS people that are getting accepted today. Keep the hopes up!

Maybe they are doing OOS acceptances today and IS tomorrow. It looks like all OOS people that are getting accepted today. Keep the hopes up!

This might be true, but what I've noticed here is that all the 'OOS' being accepted so far are Canadians. I suppose they are considered OOS, but I think Wayne is trying to fill a certain quota of Canadians first before moving to OOS'ers in the United States? Total guesswork here...

Has anyone been accepeted off the waitlist since May 15th that is an OOSer in the US?