2013-2014 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, admissions says MD or DO you are taken off the wait list but if you look two years back someone says they called wayne and they were told they actually can only tell if you start at MD and not a DO school.

Members don't see this ad.

Just a heads up, I called admissions today and another cycle might happen on Friday (this happens to be the three weeks after the May 16th cycle.) Also, I asked about the alternative lists and was told there is just a SINGLE list. Weird so many OOS and Canadians recently. What happened to the IS love?

Reactions: 2 users
Just a heads up, I called admissions today and another cycle might happen on Friday (this happens to be the three weeks after the May 16th cycle.) Also, I asked about the alternative lists and was told there is just a SINGLE list. Weird so many OOS and Canadians recently. What happened to the IS love?
Thanks for the news! I hope we all get some good news tomorrow! I think the reason why there have been so many OOS and Canadian acceptances off the waitlist is because they are more likely to decline the acceptance due to the high OOS tuition rates. Therefore, when an OOS person declines the offer, the next applicant offered a spot will be OOS or Canadian. If you look at the class profile from last year on the Wayne State website, they sent out 175 acceptances to OOS applicants while only 55 matriculated. On the other hand, in state had 366 acceptances and 235 matriculated. Based off of last year it seems like there is more movement off the waitlist for OOS, but also a lot of movement for in state.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The school too likely already has their 70 percent or so of in-state acceptances so for the last remaining spots whether you are instate or OOS doesn't tip the balance too much and now they are just going off the score you were given after admissions committee met. That's interesting. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear! Don't let SDN bias sway you too much, there were people who got in in my class during orientation week, and there are undoubtedly acceptances that we don't hear about because people don't post. There is indeed continued movement and will be until classes start.

Just got pulled off the waitlist. Canadian, 3.7, 37. Third time reapplicant to Wayne. Can't believe this nightmare is over.

Reactions: 7 users
The lack of IS acceptances off the waitlist is so frustrating.

Not one IS since may 16th I think. Crap.

I guess just more hopeless waiting. I must be really far down on the list.

I wish this waiting game was a little more transparent between the applicants and admissions...
I undertand that they can't tell us our chances of coming off the waitlist, but I think it would be very helpful if they told us what our rank is. Then we could move on to the next application cycle if we are on the bottom of the list. This is just so stressful.

I was accepted an hour ago! Canadian, 31 mcat and 3.88 gpa. interviewed in November. First time applicant. I told myself I would post if i got in! Sdn has been the most useful resource for me! thanks to everyone else who posted their stats!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an acceptance email. Looks like they're shortening the amount of time given for a response. I have 2 weeks to give a response, so hopefully they'll get back to everyone waiting earlier!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys plan on accepting the offer?
I was accepted an hour ago! Canadian, 31 mcat and 3.88 gpa. interviewed in November. First time applicant. I told myself I would post if i got in! Sdn has been the most useful resource for me! thanks to everyone else who posted their stats!

Just got an acceptance email. Looks like they're shortening the amount of time given for a response. I have 2 weeks to give a response, so hopefully they'll get back to everyone waiting earlier!

Are you OOS? and do you mind sharing your stats?

Are any if you IS or OS? please respond

i feel like i'm not going to get accepted.. this sucks.. anyone else in my boat?

3.82 gpa 32 mcat IS

Got my acceptance this afternoon!
3.82, 32, Canadian
I had almost given up! For those still waiting, hang in there! It's not over yet!

I guess I better start preparing to matriculate to Midwestern Chicago. I hoping for some luck over the next few weeks though. I've sent LOI's to both my interviewer and the admissions office but haven't gotten a response yet from either.

OOS 34mcat/3.1undergrad/4.00grad

sigh=(

I guess I better start preparing to matriculate to Midwestern Chicago. I hoping for some luck over the next few weeks though. I've sent LOI's to both my interviewer and the admissions office but haven't gotten a response yet from either.

OOS 34mcat/3.1undergrad/4.00grad

sigh=(
Look at the bright side, at least you know you will be a doctor!

any instaters hear good news? i feel like i must be a really bad candidate....

Im pretty sure wayne has filled their canadian quoto. they cant accept Canadians closer to orientation, becuz they need special documents for a visa, and they just sent out an email yesterday welcoming all the canadians and telling us that we should prepare to show these documents. Also the closer it gets to orientation, the more likely they will accept instate becuz they are more likely to go than out of state.

Question for people already accepted: Is it OK to submit the decision form by e-mail or does WSU only accept a mailed copy?

Edit: Nevermind. Answered my own question. You can send it through e-mail.

Last edited:
Im pretty sure wayne has filled their canadian quoto. they cant accept Canadians closer to orientation, becuz they need special documents for a visa, and they just sent out an email yesterday welcoming all the canadians and telling us that we should prepare to show these documents. Also the closer it gets to orientation, the more likely they will accept instate becuz they are more likely to go than out of state.

did an admissions person tell you this or just speculation?

I know it seems like there's a ton of them based on SDN responses, but there are approx. 15 Canadians in my class and I believe other classes are similar.

Is Wayne known as Little Canada?

I don't think all Canadian students receive this email together as they are all accepted on different dates. I received this email about two months ago. Also, I personally don't think the visa application process has an influence on whether or not they accept Canadian students. Of course this is speculation on my part because I seriously hope that the time it takes to process a visa is irrelevant in the process of admission and candidates are selected based on the strength of their application.

Last edited:
Just got pulled off the waitlist. Canadian, 3.7, 37. Third time reapplicant to Wayne. Can't believe this nightmare is over.

Congratulations!! You deserve it! :)

Congrats! I admire your fortitude--this is only my second cycle applying and I'm already wrestling anxiety looking forward to round three.

Congrats! I admire your fortitude--this is only my second cycle applying and I'm already wrestling anxiety looking forward to round three.
Good luck TheQuantumCat. The anxiety you're talking about, I've been there and I feel for you. PM me if you want to talk.

I am most likely going to reapply too if anyone wants to talk to me

Called admissions... Possibly a batch at the end of the week. Mine and anyone at MSUCOMs last chance.

Called admissions... Possibly a batch at the end of the week. Mine and anyone at MSUCOMs last chance.
They said possibly? I wish they would just say there will be! Good luck everyone!

Lol yeah, possibly is crap. They don't understand the stress blind waiting does to people.

Yeah everyday is a struggle for me esp weekends

Just got accepted to my top choice! I will be withdrawing from the wait list once I have everything finalized.

Reactions: 4 users
I JUST GOT MY ACCEPTANCE EMAIL NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY.

oos, 3.1 undergrad, 34 mcat, 4.0 grad

Last edited:
Yeah seriously, it seems like almost zero IS students are getting accepted off of the waitlist. This is beyond frustrating.
Remember a couple of points: first, SDN is not a representative sample of all WSU applicants. Second, OOS students are more likely to withdraw from Wayne if they are accepted to a cheaper/instate school due to Wayne's high tuition costs, and if the school tries to have any balance of IS vs. OOS they will try to accept OOS students off the wait list when an OOS drops, rather than replacing them with IS applicants.