2013-2014 Wayne State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you know if there is a Canadian quota? I know that there are many Canadians in the class but I didn't know if they actually reserve seats for them.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure they have a set number of Canadians they want to have in each class. I don't believe they are the same as OOS because getting in as a Canadian is harder than OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a Canadian and was offered a spot on May 16 (3.88 GPA, 31 MCAT). I will be declining it shortly for a Canadian Medical School. Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty sure they have a set number of Canadians they want to have in each class. I don't believe they are the same as OOS because getting in as a Canadian is harder than OOS.

Does anyone know where to find stats about how many Canadians get accepted every year? It may seem like it's harder for Canadians because of the way they convert the GPA. Every mark > 85 is considered a 4.0. This really helped my GPA.

Repost from earlier in the thread. So the OOS Applicants category does include Canadians, because IS enrolled = 227 and OOS enrolled = 62, and 227+ 62 = 289, which is the size of the class for Wayne. I guess 'International' is subsumed under the category of OOS, then.

This is what I pulled from USNew&World Report.
Total applicants
chart

In-state applicants
chart

Out-of-state applicants
chart

Women applicants
chart

Minority applicants
chart

International applicants
chart

Reactions: 1 users
My speculation about the canada thing is that the students from canada tend to be stronger because it's so dang hard to get into med school in canada. That and there's only so many US schools that canadians can apply to so it strengthens that pool all the more. I would be highly surprised if there was a canadian quota per se, but i know that there's the med school strive to pull a diverse class. I almost applied to be on the admissions committee, and i wish i had at least gone for it. This whole process is such a weird fascinating mystery to me.

Do you know if there is a Canadian quota? I know that there are many Canadians in the class but I didn't know if they actually reserve seats for them.

Repost from earlier in the thread. So the OOS Applicants category does include Canadians, because IS enrolled = 227 and OOS enrolled = 62, and 227+ 62 = 289, which is the size of the class for Wayne. I guess 'International' is subsumed under the category of OOS, then.
According to MSAR (not sure what year this refers to):
IS: 235
OOS: 36
International: 19

No news until next Thurs or Friday :blackeye:

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you call them? If you did, what did they say?

Yes, called. They said exactly that - no decisions today, and the next batch will go out either next Thursday or Friday.

Been lurking here for ever :p

I was offered a spot May 16th and accepted. It was an agonizing wait, I really feel for those of you still waiting.

Non-trad, OOS- living in Chicago at the moment. Received my undergrad from WSU a while back, maybe that helped. My interview was very, very, very short. It really threw me off and my hopes were not high.
Hang in there guys! I've been anxiously digging through these forums for the past few months and plenty of people get accepted through the middle of June.

Pardon any errors, using my phone.

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew from Wayne a few days ago. Tough decision but I feel like there's something amazing brewing at OUWB and I want to be a part of it. Best of luck to those waiting for a spot!

Reactions: 3 users
Around what time does Wayne state send the email to those accepted off the waitlist?

Very difficult decision, but just withdrew my acceptance today.. I'm OOS, Canadian. Good luck to the waitlisters!

Just called today and the lady told me that there will be no more official dates on which they will give out acceptances; however, she said they will give them out whenever there's like 5-6 spots available. She also told me there's currently 5 spots available and they will be sending out acceptances soon (no specific date given, sadly). Keep your fingers crossed!

Just called today and the lady told me that there will be no more official dates on which they will give out acceptances; however, she said they will give them out whenever there's like 5-6 spots available. She also told me there's currently 5 spots available and they will be sending out acceptances soon (no specific date given, sadly). Keep your fingers crossed!

I guess that's it then. Movement should be pretty slow from now on. I'm gonna start preparing for going to DO school.

Man, really let down about the few spots left but I guess it's time to get ready for MSUCOM and pray I make the short list soon.

Sigh--I assume this means they have 5 spots for offers and past that, we'd need someone to reject one of the more recent rounds of offers?

Dang. This was my only shot. I know we're not out of the running yet, but hard to be hopeful in this situation.

Sigh--I assume this means they have 5 spots for offers and past that, we'd need someone to reject one of the more recent rounds of offers?

Dang. This was my only shot. I know we're not out of the running yet, but hard to be hopeful in this situation.

Well theres also the possibility that students who've already accepted a spot will get pulled off the waiting list at other schools. With the OOS tuition as high as it is I'll hope for at least a few more spots to open that way as well.

well guys, it really feels like this is the end. has anyone heard back recently ? (Ie. Friday or Today?)

well guys, it really feels like this is the end. has anyone heard back recently ? (Ie. Friday or Today?)

The wait is definitely painful - I've been on the alternate list since October... - but keep your chin up. It's not the end yet. 2 things to keep in mind:
1. Wayne (historically) has lots of WL movement even into late June and July.
2. Decisions tend to be released at the end of the week, so if you don't hear today for example, no need to panic.

Just my 2 cents and what I've gathered. Hoping for the best for all of us anxious waitlisters

The problem is that
The wait is definitely painful - I've been on the alternate list since October... - but keep your chin up. It's not the end yet. 2 things to keep in mind:
1. Wayne (historically) has lots of WL movement even into late June and July.
2. Decisions tend to be released at the end of the week, so if you don't hear today for example, no need to panic.

Just my 2 cents and what I've gathered. Hoping for the best for all of us anxious waitlisters

That's all well and good but I just looked at the previous year's threads and the end of may is pretty much 'it'. It doesn't get any better after this. The replies of 'good' news pretty much don't get posted.

Do you think decisions got released last week? because there wasn't a single post on here.

on a brighter note, what are you guys doing while waiting to hear back? I've been going crazy for the past couple of weeks to the point where this is the only thing I think about. Now I am starting to think that it might not happen at all.

Yeah, feeling pretty crappy about getting in now. I almost feel like all the hope is lost. June 6th marks three weeks from the 15/16th acceptances so I guess we have that to look forward to.

Just started paying for things for MSUCOM, but would easily walk away if I got in. Does anyone know if you could drop out of MSUCOM (or any DO school) if you got accepted to Wayne after the start date? Very expensive, but is it possible?

Yeah, feeling pretty crappy about getting in now. I almost feel like all the hope is lost. June 6th marks three weeks from the 15/16th acceptances so I guess we have that to look forward to.

Just started paying for things for MSUCOM, but would easily walk away if I got in. Does anyone know if you could drop out of MSUCOM (or any DO school) if you got accepted to Wayne after the start date? Very expensive, but is it possible?

Do you know if everyone who heard on May 16th is given 3 weeks to respond?

Yes. You can get a refund of tuition depending on the school (check the student finance section of MSUCOM's website). Generally after the first week passes, you would get 90% of your tuition back but you'll lose the deposit.

ACCEPTED just now via email!! First acceptance and on top of the world right now :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

3.2 cgpa/2.85 sgpa undergrad
3.65 cgpa/sgpa SMP at Wayne State
31 MCAT
OOS

Best of luck to those still waiting!!! Keep hope alive!

Reactions: 6 users
ACCEPTED just now via email!! First acceptance and on top of the world right now :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

3.2 cgpa/2.85 sgpa undergrad
3.65 cgpa/sgpa SMP at Wayne State
31 MCAT
OOS

Best of luck to those still waiting!!! Keep hope alive!

Congrats, I was wondering, did you send them any update letters or letters of intent recently?
btw thanks for letting us know

Last edited:
Congrats, I was wondering, did you send them any update letters or letters of intent recently?
btw thanks for letting us know

Sent a few letters over the past couple of months, one with significant updates (2nd author publication and spring grades), as well as a letter of intent.

ACCEPTED today! I just made an account because I've been lurking here with you guys forever.

Canadian, 32 MCAT, 3.9 cGPA. I sent a letter of interest/update early last week. Maybe that had some influence?

Good luck to everyone else.

Sent a few letters over the past couple of months, one with significant updates (2nd author publication and spring grades), as well as a letter of intent.

ACCEPTED today! I just made an account because I've been lurking here with you guys forever.

Canadian, 32 MCAT, 3.9 cGPA. I sent a letter of interest/update early last week. Maybe that had some influence?

Good luck to everyone else.

Just wondering, did they also give you guys 3 weeks? as in reply by June 24th?

Just wondering, did they also give you guys 3 weeks? as in reply by June 24th?

yes, 3 weeks from the date of the email. I know it's sorta lame, since it's getting so dang late :/

I guess another week or so of waiting since there was another wave today. The wait is horrible.

Does anyone know of a convenient way to search for other students heading to WSUSOM? (With the intent of finding a roommate)

They have a spreadsheet and a Facebook page, posted in a recent comment here.

I am not sure if you would be eligible to get accepted at Wayne... From what the wait list letter says, once you matriculate into any medical school (MD or DO) you will be removed from the wait list. I suppose you could always call admissions? If you end up at MSUCOM, I will see you there! :) I suppose if I am going to go DO, I want one of the best schools!