2015 PHAP application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what our hours would be or if we'd have any flexibility? I know it's full time, but does that necessarily mean Monday-Friday from 9-5?
In previous years, we have not had the opportunity to do flex time. This means you have to work five eight hour shifts a week. Might not be 9-5, but your tour of work has to cover the core hours of 9-3. A lot of that timing depends on your host site, but it wouldn't expect the program to start allowing flex time.

Members don't see this ad.

I wish time would go by faster!

Reactions: 1 user
Word is they're in the process of making the final selections. Good luck to everybody!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They're attempting to do a better job matching associates into the geographical preference this year. Hope it works!

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
So it seems at least a couple people have access to inside information. Any word on if they will be telling those accepted more details with the initial offer, specifically the assigned program areas? From reading through past threads it seems everything but geographical preference comes much later. I was just thinking it would be a shame to accept only to find out the assigned program areas do not align with one's career goals. This also makes me wonder if declining the official acceptance after accepting the initial unofficial one would hurt one's chances if applying the following year. Any insights are appreciated.

So it seems at least a couple people have access to inside information. Any word on if they will be telling those accepted more details with the initial offer, specifically the assigned program areas? From reading through past threads it seems everything but geographical preference comes much later. I was just thinking it would be a shame to accept only to find out the assigned program areas do not align with one's career goals. This also makes me wonder if declining the official acceptance after accepting the initial unofficial one would hurt one's chances if applying the following year. Any insights are appreciated.

My interviewer told me that the purpose of PHAP is to obtain a broad set of skills and knowledge in public health. It's really about being flexible and making the most of the program. If you want to work in a very specific field, PHAP is not really designed to accommodate that. You might get lucky and end up working in a program that aligns with your career goals, but that's not guaranteed. I don't think declining hurts your chances of being accepted the next year, if that's what you choose to do.

When I was hired I was told my program area, but the hiring notification process will go from HR this year, not from the program. This means you will only receive an official offer, as far as I know no unofficial offers will be made this year. I'm not sure how it will work this year, but in previous years people were told their broad program area aka "communicable disease" or "maternal health".

Although your assigned program area will determine the specific knowledge you gain, the program is centered around the broad skills you learn, which are often applicable across programs. Many people spend a couple of years in a program they have less interest in during PHAP and then have opportunities to jump to what interests them when the program is over.

This is just speculation, but I'd suspect that there would be no problem turning down the placement and then applying next year. However if you accept and start the process and then back out later, you might burn some bridges. The agency is small and people remember.

When I was hired I was told my program area, but the hiring notification process will go from HR this year, not from the program. This means you will only receive an official offer, as far as I know no unofficial offers will be made this year. I'm not sure how it will work this year, but in previous years people were told their broad program area aka "communicable disease" or "maternal health".

Although your assigned program area will determine the specific knowledge you gain, the program is centered around the broad skills you learn, which are often applicable across programs. Many people spend a couple of years in a program they have less interest in during PHAP and then have opportunities to jump to what interests them when the program is over.

This is just speculation, but I'd suspect that there would be no problem turning down the placement and then applying next year. However if you accept and start the process and then back out later, you might burn some bridges. The agency is small and people remember.

I agree. As long as you decline before starting the process, you can apply again next year. No harm in that.

The Director posted this video to Youtube and the CDC STLT Connection Facebook. It just discusses the program. Still anxious to know if I have been accepted or not !!

Last edited:
Do we know if the HR department is calling or emailing? I'm out of country until the 8th of June without phone service and would hate to miss the call. The person who interviewed me said they wouldn't be notifying us until late June anyway, so I didn't think it'd be a problem

Do we know if the HR department is calling or emailing? I'm out of country until the 8th of June without phone service and would hate to miss the call. The person who interviewed me said they wouldn't be notifying us until late June anyway, so I didn't think it'd be a problem

Based on past PHAP forums, I think they will call first, but you'll receive an email too. Either way, I don't think you'll miss out on the opportunity just because you didn't pick up your phone.
The website says we'll hear from them by mid-June and my interviewer said the same. I really hope we find out soon. Getting super anxious!

Based on past PHAP forums, I think they will call first, but you'll receive an email too. Either way, I don't think you'll miss out on the opportunity just because you didn't pick up your phone.
The website says we'll hear from them by mid-June and my interviewer said the same. I really hope we find out soon. Getting super anxious!

Thanks! I hope so too - the wait time makes applying for other jobs kind of hard!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if they will allow you to start the fellowship earlier than October if offered?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if they will allow you to start the fellowship earlier than October if offered?
The start date is set in stone as far as I know. The end date is "not-to-exceed", so you can leave early if you want.

ugh, the suspense!!!!!!! >_<
If it helps, they've said "early June" recently rather than the "mid June" that is on the website. No guarantee, but some hope.

If it helps, they've said "early June" recently rather than the "mid June" that is on the website. No guarantee, but some hope.
@jsquared91 thanks so much for the updates! I just woke up from a dream about PHAP...tells you how much anxiety I'm starting to get from this. :laugh:

@jsquared91 thanks so much for the updates! I just woke up from a dream about PHAP...tells you how much anxiety I'm starting to get from this. :laugh:
Glad to help out, it's a tough wait, but some of you will be getting calls from 404/770 area codes soon!

The start date is set in stone as far as I know. The end date is "not-to-exceed", so you can leave early if you want.
Thanks for all your great posts! I was a bit concerned that, if selected for the program, I'd be unable to go to grad school immediately afterwards (which would probably start in Sept.) Have PHAP fellows had any trouble leaving a month or so early for school? Is this common? Thanks!

is that a new update? lol

I wish I had a more specific timeline. This process taught me the most important trait of a successful fed, patience.

Thanks for all your great posts! I was a bit concerned that, if selected for the program, I'd be unable to go to grad school immediately afterwards (which would probably start in Sept.) Have PHAP fellows had any trouble leaving a month or so early for school? Is this common? Thanks!

Nope, there's no issue with leaving early. I know people who have left 6 months early due to a job opening at their host site or elsewhere that was a perfect fit and many leave early to start school. My class raised this concern when they adjusted the program to run October-October instead of July-July. They said that they understand that associates may leave early to start other opportunities. I'd advise against leaving within the first 18 months, you might burn some bridges.

Anyone receive email today about update coming soon on status/decision?

Anyone receive email today about update coming soon on status/decision?

OMG that email scared me

Last edited:
When did you get the email?

Hello everyone, 1st time poster. Does anyone know if they will be informing both those selected and not selected or just the associates that are being offered a fellowship?

Just thanking us for showing interest in the program, Video of Director talking about benefits of program, they are selecting candidates and trying to match with host site in oncoming weeks.

Does the video go out to everyone who interviews?

(To All 2015 PHAP Applicants)

download

Thank you for your interest in the Public Health Associate Program (PHAP) at the Centers for Disease Control
and Prevention (CDC). As you wait to find out if you’ve been selected to be in the next cohort of PHAP associates
in 2015, we plan to share some resources and information about PHAP and CDC over the next few weeks that
might be of interest.
For example, CDC Director, Dr. Tom Frieden, just recorded a new video describing the value of PHAP to
public health and the benefits to associates who join this program. He also thanks current and past PHAP
associates for making a valuable contribution on the frontlines of public health.

Again, we thank you for your patience throughout the candidate application process as we select and
match candidates with host sites. Please continue to monitor your profile on USAjobs.gov for updates
on your application status. You can check the PHAP website for updates on the program itself, and also
can contact us here: PHAP Contact Us.

download

Did you both still not get the email? Maybe it is in your spam folder.
Still nothing. Idk if I should be concerned or not. My interviewer said we would hear back either way so this just makes me nervous.

Nope still nothing for me. My interview didn't say anything about hearing if we didn't get it

Word is 230 positions are being offered: majority of decisions are nearing done, a few straggling host sites to finalize, etc. I feel like we will be hearing something very soon, probably within the next couple of weeks.

Update: HR is supposed to be contacting with offers this upcoming week. The wait is almost over folks!

Reactions: 5 users
How did you find out about that?

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone. Same as most of us I have been anxiously awaiting news. Thank goodness I found this forum. I want to thank all that have posted updates, it has kept me sane o_O

Reactions: 3 users
Definitely...I can't wait to know when the calls start. Thanks all for keeping me sane as well.

For those that did not get the last email, I've contacted the PHAP office, emails are still being sent, so breathe easy it's not you, it's them.