2017-2018 Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (MWU-CCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got accepted!
II on 3/8.
GPA: 3.76, MCAT: 506, Out of State.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
ACCEPTED!!! Literally crying tears of joy!!!!

Pretty sure I'm waitlisted but just to make sure has anyone from 3/12 heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 3/22 and received an email/portal change.

No portal change for me. Does that mean rejection or waitlist? :(

Does this school do pre-II rejections. I have been complete since september but haven't heard back from them at all.

No portal change for me either and I'm a MBS student at MWU. I interviewed on 03/19th. I just called the office of admissions and was told no decision was made on my application yet and they should have a decision this coming week. So do not freak out if you have not heard back yet.

Reactions: 1 users
MABS student, no change on the portal either.

So I'm guessing there will be no more IIs?

Last year they went up to 1st week of May

So I'm guessing there will be no more IIs?

Last year they went up to 1st week of May
I know they have interviews scheduled to at least 4/13, but not sure if they are still sending out invites.

I know they have interviews scheduled to at least 4/13, but not sure if they are still sending out invites.
They will send invites to local applicants for next day interviews if a spot opens up, so yes they send out invites until the very last interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any previous MABS students have any knowledge of how they decide on students who are in the program getting in. It seems everyone from the program has been waitlisted here and AZ.

Do any previous MABS students have any knowledge of how they decide on students who are in the program getting in. It seems everyone from the program has been waitlisted here and AZ.

I have no idea how they actually make their decision one way or the other, but I do know the majority of people that got accepted from MABS got in off the waitlist so definitely don't feel discouraged if you're waitlisted from MABS. However there were also some, myself included, who didn't get accepted until the following year. I think there's 7 people in my class who were also in my MABS class who had a year in between, so any MABS kids that do get rejected the first time around don't get discouraged either.

Did anyone get an email with the link to the midwestern app, and instructions on what to do next to secure the acceptance (Beside paying the deposit)? I just got a congratulations email and had the portal update, so I don't really know what to do next. Congratulations to everyone who got accepted!!!!

When I was in the masters program 2 years ago, I was waitlisted up until the week before orientation, as were a few of my classmates. For the most part, it seemed that the committee was waiting for final grades before making a decision. Just finish strong and send updates constantly

Reactions: 1 user
Checked the portal and I'm also waitlisted. Interviewed mid-March. Does anyone know if there's a good chance of being accepted off the waitlist here?

Checked the portal and I'm also waitlisted. Interviewed mid-March. Does anyone know if there's a good chance of being accepted off the waitlist here?
How do you check the portal? Under what tap you can find out the decision?

How do you check the portal? Under what tap you can find out the decision?
If your prerequisites show up when you look at the applicant checklist that means that have made a decision on your application. If you click on the accepted checklist and nothing appears it means you have been waitlisted.

Each year is different, but last year a good amount of people were accepted off the waitlist.

So no one has gotten IIs to interview this April?

I haven't been rejected yet. I know because I can still access the portal...I just sent an update to get my name up there again

What is considered a good amount?
It's hard to tell precise numbers, since you got so many factors to consider (how many earlier wait listed people were accepted, how long were they wait listed, how many withdrew acceptances etc).

However, I can tell you that at least 20+ of my classmates were accepted after May. That number might be even higher than that.

Does anyone know what ccom students average on the USMLE?

Does anyone know what ccom students average on the USMLE?

That information is kept on greater lockdown than the Declaration of Independence. You would need some Nicholas Cage-ish skills to obtain that info.

Reactions: 3 users
That information is kept on greater lockdown than the Declaration of Independence. You would need some Nicholas Cage-ish skills to obtain that info.

I can only assume that’s because it’s not all that great...

I can only assume that’s because it’s not all that great...
I wouldn't assume so, both CCOM and AZCOM have a great reputation regarding their match rate and people matching into their #1 choice programs. I don't know, maybe it just has to do with confidentiality?

I wouldn't assume so, both CCOM and AZCOM have a great reputation regarding their match rate and people matching into their #1 choice programs. I don't know, maybe it just has to do with confidentiality?

I guess my point is that if you are a DO a school with a fantastic average step 1 score, I would think they would want that information out there. That’s a huge selling point for your school. I don’t think it has anything to do with confidentiality because it’s an average, and they report average COMLEX scores.

I guess my point is that if you are a DO a school with a fantastic average step 1 score, I would think they would want that information out there. That’s a huge selling point for your school. I don’t think it has anything to do with confidentiality because it’s an average, and they report average COMLEX scores.

DO schools don't report average USMLE scores because it is not their institution's standardized test. This has nothing to do with how well their students did on the test. If you disagree please find me any DO school which has published their step 1 results.

All DO schools are now required to publicly post COMLEX averages. I hear where you're coming from, and as students at this school I think many of us have felt slightly frustrated with the lack of transparency regarding this matter. However, it is not common for DO schools to release USMLE averages, so I don't think it's fair to target this one and assume their reasoning behind the decision. I don't know of any schools that have it actually posted publicly (although some do tell students what the average was, and that kind of info can trickle over to SDN). When my class asked about historical averages before we took boards, we were told they did not feel the average was particularly meaningful because it was a relatively small, self-selecting pool of students who were choosing to sit for the exam. That said, I know many people in my class + the class above who took USMLE and did extremely well. If you come to CCOM (or any other school, for that matter) and work hard, you will absolutely have the capacity to take USMLE and be successful.

Cheers!

All DO schools are now required to publicly post COMLEX averages. I hear where you're coming from, and as students at this school I think many of us have felt slightly frustrated with the lack of transparency regarding this matter. However, it is not common for DO schools to release USMLE averages, so I don't think it's fair to target this one and assume their reasoning behind the decision. I don't know of any schools that have it actually posted publicly (although some do tell students what the average was, and that kind of info can trickle over to SDN). When my class asked about historical averages before we took boards, we were told they did not feel the average was particularly meaningful because it was a relatively small, self-selecting pool of students who were choosing to sit for the exam. That said, I know many people in my class + the class above who took USMLE and did extremely well. If you come to CCOM (or any other school, for that matter) and work hard, you will absolutely have the capacity to take USMLE and be successful.

Good to know - Thanks. I'm not trying to target this one, it just happens to be one of the few DO schools I applied to. With the residency merger, I really wish DO schools in general would be up front about USMLE scores.

Good to know - Thanks. I'm not trying to target this one, it just happens to be one of the few DO schools I applied to. With the residency merger, I really wish DO schools in general would be up front about USMLE scores.

Yeah, I understand. Unfortunately not likely to happen because they are still pushing an agenda of "X% residency programs will accept COMLEX!" - but don't let it get you down.

I'm guessing CCOM will wrap up its interviews now? Last year, it went all the way into May

Waitlisted, never got an email they just sent snail mail..

Are they still meeting every Wednesday of the end of the month for admissions? Or are they picking up the speed as the interview season ends?

Just declined my acceptance. Hope one of you fine people will grab that seat! The cycle ain't over yet, so DOn't lose hope :nono:

Reactions: 4 users
Quick question. Does anyone here know where to get a list of where the most recent graduates went for residencies? Are most of them in Illinois or are there quite a few options around the country?

Hey, can any medical students here tell me how long your class days are on average?

Officially withdrew my acceptance to CCOM. It was a very difficult decision, hope it goes to one of you awesome people!!!

Hey, can any medical students here tell me how long your class days are on average?

Varies by quarter and if you actually go to class. But if you do attend all classes, I’d say 8/9 AM - 3 PM, some days 5 PM when you have anatomy lab.

Varies by quarter and if you actually go to class. But if you do attend all classes, I’d say 8/9 AM - 3 PM, some days 5 PM when you have anatomy lab.
Would you say that there's more material to cover at Midwestern than other medical schools, where class is only 4 hours per day? I'm just trying to understand why the class day is so long. It's making me a bit nervous.

Would you say that there's more material to cover at Midwestern than other medical schools, where class is only 4 hours per day? I'm just trying to understand why the class day is so long. It's making me a bit nervous.
It’s because we’re on the quarter system, so they have to lengthen the days to cover the material within 10 weeks.

I heard it’s because class is 4 days per week instead of 5. Hope I’m not getting my schools mixed up...

No. We don’t have class Friday’s.