2018-2019 University of Texas Medical Branch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They might not want to match those under a 505, but they might pull some off of the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
where is this 505 cut off coming from? MSAR says of their matriculated students 10th percentile is 502 average and 25th percentile is 504 average. I would be very surprised if they implemented a 505 cut off. If you received an interview they see you as a candidate for admission, despite your MCAT.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
where is this 505 cut off coming from? MSAR says of their matriculated students 10th percentile is 502 average and 25th percentile is 504 average. I would be very surprised if they implemented a 505 cut off. If you received an interview they see you as a candidate for admission, despite your MCAT.

I was told the 505 cut off was a new thing for this application cycle, but like @thegrind33 said they might not prematch below 505, but it doesnt mean they wont pull them of the waitlist.

I will be interviewing here next Thursday. Has anyone tried to use Uber to get back to the airport after the interview? My flight leaves at ~6 pm. how long does the TSA process take? I am a little nervous about the timing...

I will be interviewing here next Thursday. Has anyone tried to use Uber to get back to the airport after the interview? My flight leaves at ~6 pm. how long does the TSA process take? I am a little nervous about the timing...

Which airport? Also, when does the interview end?

Takes me an hour to drive from Galveston back to Houston with zero traffic at midnight. Hobby is a lot closer to Galveston than Bush.

Yo is this 505 thing true? Do you have credible or strong proof that statement is actually valid? Anyone else have any idea?I’m II’ing here and have a 504 literally lol (3.9+ GPA tho).
congrats

Like the other person said, make sure you're flying into Hobby Airport. I would say that without traffic it would take about 30 min to get from Galveston to Hobby. Maybe 45min/hour if there is heavier traffic. I think I read something about most people leaving around 3:30 (anyone who has already interviewed may have a better sense of times).

Accepting prematch offers is not binding and you may accept more than one.
If a school is not one you want to attend (say you have several pre-matches you prefer), you can politely turn one down. This lets the school know that spot is available again.

You DO need to be sure when you do your match list ranking that the order is the way you want it, because after match day there’s no “take-backs” or “do-overs”.
Thanks! Does it matter if you decline in the portal or on TMDSAS?

Can anyone please tell me how this matching process works for out of state/ when can i expect to hear something?

Can anyone please tell me how this matching process works for out of state/ when can i expect to hear something?
You can receive a traditional acceptance any time now, you don't wait on texas match

@Champion2 UTMB does not have any secondary essays as part of their application :)
They do want you to take the CASPer and send your result to them.
And of course you need to be invited for an interview before having a chance of acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I meant to post it on Tech El Paso thread! I interviewed here already :)
Which airport? Also, when does the interview end?

Takes me an hour to drive from Galveston back to Houston with zero traffic at midnight. Hobby is a lot closer to Galveston than Bush.

Sorry, I meant to post it on Tech El Paso thread! I interviewed here already :)
Oh well, maybe someone else could use that information anyways! How was the interview here? Any tips, suggestions, or subjects to brush up on beforehand? My interview is coming up and I would appreciate any advice!

Oh well, maybe someone else could use that information anyways! How was the interview here? Any tips, suggestions, or subjects to brush up on beforehand? My interview is coming up and I would appreciate any advice!
I’ve already interviewed here this cycle and pre-matched. I’ve received II at every Texas MD and UTMB is in my top 2-3 schools. You don’t need to prepare too much, just be yourself and know your application, read the school’s website for 10-15 mins and be able to answer “why Galveston”. My answer was easy.. it’s close to home and a good school. Go to the night before social and speak to students, ask them about their lives outside of med school and their free time. UTMB has a relaxed vibe that allows you to have a life outside of school, that’s why it’s top of my list. Plus the Step focused curriculum is great.

Reactions: 1 users
anybody know when in December they send their second wave of pre-match?

Reactions: 9 users
Has anyone that has setup their emails and myStar accounts after receiving a pre-match offer had their "To-Do Lists" updated?

I am debating emailing or calling their office, because I sent in the Criminal Justice forms and transcripts last week, but haven't heard anything back from them or if they've received them.

Has anyone that has setup their emails and myStar accounts after receiving a pre-match offer had their "To-Do Lists" updated?

I am debating emailing or calling their office, because I sent in the Criminal Justice forms and transcripts last week, but haven't heard anything back from them or if they've received them.
I haven't had anything listed under "To-Do" at all. After accepting my offer on my portal it just shows a little green circle that says "complete" and was given access to the e-mail services.

Any chance of still getting an II from here? LizzyM is 69 with 3.96 and 507 but haven't heard back from them yet :(

Reactions: 2 users
you can call to see if they've received transcripts and I believe they ask you to call enrollment services

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know why they're starting July 10thish next year? previous years I thought MS1 started August 25th.. it's an extra 6 weeks of school unless I'm mistaken, but what's it for?

Can I ask what everyone has completed since receiving the prematch? I've accepted the offer, set up email and myStar services, and mailed in the Criminal justice form. Is there anything else to do at this time?

Does anyone know why they're starting July 10thish next year? previous years I thought MS1 started August 25th.. it's an extra 6 weeks of school unless I'm mistaken, but what's it for?
They mentioned an earlier start date during interview day, but I can’t remeber for what. Probably an additional course.

They have had in the past a kind of pre med-school boot camp or ramp up to med school program by invitation only.
EDITED the name of the program in the past was PREP. The most recent mention of it is here in 2016 so maybe they don't have this program any more?PREP

Last edited:
Can I ask what everyone has completed since receiving the prematch? I've accepted the offer, set up email and myStar services, and mailed in the Criminal justice form. Is there anything else to do at this time?
I haven't even mailed in the criminal justice form. Is that supposed to be due anytime soon? I didn't really see any deadlines for anything other than accepting the prematch offer.

I haven't even mailed in the criminal justice form. Is that supposed to be due anytime soon? I didn't really see any deadlines for anything other than accepting the prematch offer.

I think it said on the acceptance letter to mail the Criminal Justice form in preferably within 2 weeks just since it takes time to process.

I've accepted the pre-match offer, set up my email and myStar, and sent in the Criminal Justice/Field House Clearance/Disabilities forms, though I don't think the last two are needed right now. I also had my transcripts mailed in to the Enrollment services office as well since I've already graduated.

If I recall correctly I remember reading somewhere that the myStar to-do list would eventually be updated to reflect any documents we still need to turn in. I tried emailing them the other day on the status of the documents I've sent in but haven't heard a reply so I may call and ask about it.

I think it said on the acceptance letter to mail the Criminal Justice form in preferably within 2 weeks just since it takes time to process.

I've accepted the pre-match offer, set up my email and myStar, and sent in the Criminal Justice/Field House Clearance/Disabilities forms, though I don't think the last two are needed right now. I also had my transcripts mailed in to the Enrollment services office as well since I've already graduated.

If I recall correctly I remember reading somewhere that the myStar to-do list would eventually be updated to reflect any documents we still need to turn in. I tried emailing them the other day on the status of the documents I've sent in but haven't heard a reply so I may call and ask about it.
I just called a while ago and they told me that there's no deadline on the Criminal Justice form, but if you're committed to going to UTMB that it would be good to send it ASAP.

I just set up the account and accepted the offer, most people wont know they got in until feb or later, I'll do everything in feb probs.

:)Is anyone here 100% confident they will attend utmb? As in it’s your first choice. Also, any current students on this thread?

:)Is anyone here 100% confident they will attend utmb? As in it’s your first choice. Also, any current students on this thread?
UTMB is currently my second choice because it really seems to have one of the chillest vibes out of any of the schools. Interestingly enough, I only felt the same chill vibe at UT Southwestern of all schools haha. The only thing really holding me back is the idea of living in Galveston is not the most appealing thing to me, but I'm sure a current student would be able to better weigh in on that.

UTMB is currently my second choice because it really seems to have one of the chillest vibes out of any of the schools. Interestingly enough, I only felt the same chill vibe at UT Southwestern of all schools haha. The only thing really holding me back is the idea of living in Galveston is not the most appealing thing to me, but I'm sure a current student would be able to better weigh in on that.

I agree with you on the vibe of the school. Everyone was so friendly. However, I’m also concerned about Galveston life since I’m used to city life. Would you mind sending me a pm?

I agree with you on the vibe of the school. Everyone was so friendly. However, I’m also concerned about Galveston life since I’m used to city life. Would you mind sending me a pm?
I wouldn't mind at all, I don't think I'm able to since your profile is private, though.

I'm in the same boat as you. Some things leaning me towards Galveston is little to no traffic on a daily basis, ability of a 5min commute, and the step focused curriculum. I also like the idea that its less "prestigious" which I think will be less stressful

I spoke with a med student about why school is starting 6 weeks early around July 10. It's because of the previous hurricanes and delays they want to make sure students have enough time to cover the curriculum. So same amount of material, just more time to finish it. Sounds good to me.

When will they send more prematches?

Current first year student here.

@Wydsoc - They did PREP this year (I did not participate) and I haven't heard any rumblings about it being discontinued.

Last edited:
Apologies for the dumb question, but I just wanted to clarify that accepting the admission offer through the MyStar portal doesn't mean you're committing to the school and relinquishing other acceptances.

Sorry, the Texas system is super alien to me. Thanks for the help!

Apologies for the dumb question, but I just wanted to clarify that accepting the admission offer through the MyStar portal doesn't mean you're committing to the school and relinquishing other acceptances.

Sorry, the Texas system is super alien to me. Thanks for the help!
That's right. Accepting a pre-match is non-binding.

Does anyone know if interviewing season is over for UTMB? As in I definitely won't get an II now?

Does anyone know if interviewing season is over for UTMB? As in I definitely won't get an II now?
They have already filled all their interview spots, so the only way anyone can get one is if someone cancels.

They have already filled all their interview spots, so the only way anyone can get one is if someone cancels.

Man that's disappointing but thanks for getting back to me with an answer.