2019-2020 Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Question, if I have an MCAT sub score below 124 should I just not fill out their secondary?

"Is my MCAT score competitive enough to apply to your school?
Applications are evaluated holistically without assigning weight to a particular section. However, section scores below 125 are considered non-competitive."
I'm in the same boat, 124 CARS but overall is okay 512. I'll just send in my secondary hoping they'll look at the rest of my app and hopefully it resonates with them

Reactions: 1 user
How do you guys feel about the physician for the future part? What does it mean to be a physician for the future?

Reactions: 1 users
You guys think going 10 font is a little too much? Feel like I have so much to say about everything Georgetown has to offer, hard to fit it all on one page!

You guys think going 10 font is a little too much? Feel like I have so much to say about everything Georgetown has to offer, hard to fit it all on one page!

I did like 10.5 I think. It didn’t look to tiny to me and they did say format it how you want so hopefully it’s fine.

Hi guys! I'm here trying to pre-write secondaries while my AMCAS verifies :) I'm just a little confused on the prompts. Are there three total then? Also does the character count include spaces?

Prompt:
Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1 page, formatted at your discretion)

1. The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters)

2. Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)

Hi guys! I'm here trying to pre-write secondaries while my AMCAS verifies :) I'm just a little confused on the prompts. Are there three total then? Also does the character count include spaces?

Prompt:
Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1 page, formatted at your discretion)

1. The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters)

2. Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)

Yeah 3 total, 2 questions that are 1000 characters and 1 question that you can answer on a word doc and upload.

So I'm writing this why essay and came across HOYA clinic. Is the clinic still closed?

So I'm writing this why essay and came across HOYA clinic. Is the clinic still closed?
Welp....didn't realized it was closed and I definitely wrote about and submitted already. Although on the link that talks about them being closed it does say it's temporary and they are in a transition period looking for new locations to continue the services they offer sooooo I'm hoping it's okay I still mentioned it :arghh:

Welp....didn't realized it was closed and I definitely wrote about and submitted already. Although on the link that talks about them being closed it does say it's temporary and they are in a transition period looking for new locations to continue the services they offer sooooo I'm hoping it's okay I still mentioned it :arghh:

Oh boy I did the same...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just talked with admissions. It's reopening in a week, so you are in luck

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the II!!!!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 17 users
II!!! Complete 6/30

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
HOLY MOLY I GOT THE FIRST II OF MY LIFE ON MY 4TH APPLICATION CYCLE TO MY DREAM SCHOOL.... THIS IS NOT A DRILL

Update: I was complete 6/29, OOS ORM LM 68 high mcat/low gpa, nontraditional applicant

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 32 users
Is there any harm in not picking the first available date?

Is there any harm in not picking the first available date?
Probably not, although you want to go as early as you can I imagine. If prepared.

also no. does anyone know which DC airport is better?

if you can fly into reagan. It's a much smaller airport but closer to where you're going. BWI and Dulles are kind of a headache to get to and you'll spend quite a bit on transportation, especially from BWI. So I would honestly look at cost differences between the airports (sometimes it's more expensive/limited flying to DCA) Good luck and congrats!!!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Was anyone allowed to submit without the headshot?

Congrats on the interviews everybody! Keep us patient people posted

The Georgetown secondary was the first one I finished. Unfortunately still waiting to submit due to letter writers, these interview responses are making me anxious :\ but congrats to everyone who has received!

Is georgetown rolling and strict about the two-week deadline?

In regards to the essays that are within the personal information section... the first one is a diversity essay for the most part, do you think it's okay to leave the second one blank? I haven't started any new jobs or activities, don't really know what I'd be writing about.

In regards to the essays that are within the personal information section... the first one is a diversity essay for the most part, do you think it's okay to leave the second one blank? I haven't started any new jobs or activities, don't really know what I'd be writing about.

thats what i did

For the one page essay, did you guys write an intro/conclusion, or did you jump straight into reasons?

The Georgetown secondary was the first one I finished. Unfortunately still waiting to submit due to letter writers, these interview responses are making me anxious :\ but congrats to everyone who has received!

Don't worry too much about these IIs! It's excessively early in the cycle and not at all a reason to be anxious. Congrats to you guys who do have them though, that's incredible!

Reactions: 2 users
For the one page essay, did you guys write an intro/conclusion, or did you jump straight into reasons?

I pretty much just got straight to it, but with a good segue because the first sentence is about myself which I then immediately relate to a reason why Georgetown. I wouldn't dedicate a whole paragraph to intro if it doesn't add much to your reasoning.

I pretty much just got straight to it, but with a good segue because the first sentence is about myself which I then immediately relate to a reason why Georgetown. I wouldn't dedicate a whole paragraph to intro if it doesn't add much to your reasoning.
did you have an intro/conclusion by any chance? I'm having a real tough time on those rn and need to submit today o_O

did you have an intro/conclusion by any chance? I'm having a real tough time on those rn and need to submit today o_O
I didn't have an official intro/conclusion. Like I said, I kind of just got right to the important bits. If you're struggling to fill a page, you could put a sentence or two of intro, just make sure it isn't too much fluff. As for a conclusion, I didn't have one really, but that's mostly because I had a lot to talk about and didn't have much room left. I could see how you could take a sentence or two to say "to sum up, [insert a brief list of the mentioned reasons]". Don't worry about it too much and just write about what's important to you!

I didn't have an official intro/conclusion. Like I said, I kind of just got right to the important bits. If you're struggling to fill a page, you could put a sentence or two of intro, just make sure it isn't too much fluff. As for a conclusion, I didn't have one really, but that's mostly because I had a lot to talk about and didn't have much room left. I could see how you could take a sentence or two to say "to sum up, [insert a brief list of the mentioned reasons]". Don't worry about it too much and just write about what's important to you!
I'm in the same boat. I just wanna get straight into it. And yes, I am running out of room at size 11 font

Every essay should have an intro and conclusion, but it can be as short as one line.

• Wow
I just submitted my secondary! Excited for those who got their II!!

Anyone else waited >2 weeks? its been 2 weeks and 1 days for me, hope to submit it later tonight

Of course, but do they have to be their own paragraphs?

It depends on if you need that much space to introduce the idea. There is no hard and fast rule, so you don't need to worry about it.