2019-2020 LSU New Orleans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, do you mind telling me what documents we need to upload? Thanks
For most regular applicants it should just be the secondary application in PDF format, the stage 2 questionnaire PDF, and a passport-style photo. there are additional documents if you want to apply for MD/PhD, other specific programs, and I think a disadvantaged scholarship essay you can do if you qualify (+ tax documentation). But just those three things I think for most people.
And then mail in the app fee, as well as DL and SSID-- either mail or email. I decided to mail them with my check because it seems safer.

Members don't see this ad.

For most regular applicants it should just be the secondary application in PDF format, the stage 2 questionnaire PDF, and a passport-style photo. there are additional documents if you want to apply for MD/PhD, other specific programs, and I think a disadvantaged scholarship essay you can do if you qualify (+ tax documentation). But just those three things I think for most people.
And then mail in the app fee, as well as DL and SSID-- either mail or email. I decided to mail them with my check because it seems safer.
Thank you. So you can't pay online? I'm a Canadian applicant and that would be inconvenient as I'm not sure if they would accept a check from a Canadian bank!

Thank you. So you can't pay online? I'm a Canadian applicant and that would be inconvenient as I'm not sure if they would accept a check from a Canadian bank!
In one of the secondary emails they sent out, it said you can send a check or a money order. Not sure if a money order might work out better for you. But no, there is no online payment option and you would need to physically mail a payment to their office.

Members don't see this ad :)
In one of the secondary emails they sent out, it said you can send a check or a money order. Not sure if a money order might work out better for you. But no, there is no online payment option and you would need to physically mail a payment to their office.
Thank you for letting me know.

Reactions: 1 user
I absolutely agree with you. I applied to 16 schools and this secondary was egregious in comparison to the others. It didn’t even have any essays, either. It was very frustrating having to find and compile the 10 different documents they require. Really makes you wonder how they run the school if the secondary application is this disorganized...

They didn’t even send me the link to the web portal thing to upload to until I called and asked two weeks later; this was after trying to figure out how to create a webadmit account.

But either way, I’m done with it; definitely not a smooth secondary in the slightest

Reactions: 2 users
They didn’t even send me the link to the web portal thing to upload to until I called and asked two weeks later; this was after trying to figure out how to create a webadmit account.

But either way, I’m done with it; definitely not a smooth secondary in the slightest
Yeah, so frustrating. Kept reading over my secondary materials to make sure I didn't miss anything because the application forms just had such poor readability too. I worry that if they use only those supplements in lieu of our primary materials, it's not gonna be an accurate representation of each applicant. That **** sucked.

Yeah, so frustrating. Kept reading over my secondary materials to make sure I didn't miss anything because the application forms just had such poor readability too. I worry that if they use only those supplements in lieu of our primary materials, it's not gonna be an accurate representation of each applicant. That **** sucked.
Lol I couldn’t figure out how to type in those damn text boxes, my **** was skimpy

Last week I got an e-mail that said that my file is complete. Today I got an e-mail that said that my application is complete and under active consideration. Fingers crossed that means something will happen soon.

Last week I got an e-mail that said that my file is complete. Today I got an e-mail that said that my application is complete and under active consideration. Fingers crossed that means something will happen soon.
I’ve been under active consideration for exactly two months. Wouldn’t put much stock in it

Just got an II! OOS, LM<70, EDIT: complete 8/20, under active consideration 8/22

I think I covered all the usual questions lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
OOS II as well. Complete 7/30. Under active consideration 8/22

Update: got an II today! Looks like they're rolling IIs out in a batch so good luck, everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS II today! Does anyone know what time the interview day ends? I need to know that before I book my plane tickets.

OOS II today! Does anyone know what time the interview day ends? I need to know that before I book my plane tickets.

I was out by 2:30, but I believe they tell you to plan for ~4:30. Likelihood that you'll be out well before then is quite high though.

Thank you! And do you know if there's a luggage-holding area for interviewees?

For sure!

We were able to leave our things within the conference room while we were on the tour. I believe some people did have bags and things with them as well.

Plan on it ending by 4:30pm. It all depends on how long your interviews last after lunch, some can take quite a while. Also, traffic is bad getting to the airport at that time, plan accordingly. I recommend looking at google maps for a couple of days around when you would be driving to MSY to see how bad it is.

Plan on it ending by 4:30pm. It all depends on how long your interviews last after lunch, some can take quite a while. Also, traffic is bad getting to the airport at that time, plan accordingly. I recommend looking at google maps for a couple of days around when you would be driving to MSY to see how bad it is.
Oh great advice! Thank you so much :giggle:

I just got my secondary yesterday :/ and I submitted it today. Do I even have a shot at an interview after sending it in so late in the cycle?

I just got my secondary yesterday :/ and I submitted it today. Do I even have a shot at an interview after sending it in so late in the cycle?
Yes. Have plenty of classmates who were later in the game than you.

Any idea how many OOS applicants they interview? I tried researching, but could not find anything.

Under active consideration 08/27; When should I expect to hear anything? Too early, too late?

I wasn’t complete until like December,and now I’m an L3. As long as you have decent stats, you are fine.

I'm very curious about this question on the questionnaire: "If offered acceptance into the LSU School of Medicine would you be willing to complete your 3rd and 4th years at the LSU School of Medicine campus in Baton Rouge?"

If I answer no, does that wipe out my chances of being admitted? Don't all students have to go into a lottery or something to find their placement?

I'm very curious about this question on the questionnaire: "If offered acceptance into the LSU School of Medicine would you be willing to complete your 3rd and 4th years at the LSU School of Medicine campus in Baton Rouge?"

If I answer no, does that wipe out my chances of being admitted? Don't all students have to go into a lottery or something to find their placement?

LSU has places for rotations in Baton Rouge and Lafayette where students can complete their entire 3rd and 4th years. I think BR is at Our Lady of the Lake and I'm not sure about Lafayette. The rotations are usually filled with volunteers but if they don't have enough volunteers they will select people who answered "yes" on that question. We were told it wouldn't affect your chances of admission.

LSU has places for rotations in Baton Rouge and Lafayette where students can complete their entire 3rd and 4th years. I think BR is at Our Lady of the Lake and I'm not sure about Lafayette. The rotations are usually filled with volunteers but if they don't have enough volunteers they will select people who answered "yes" on that question. We were told it wouldn't affect your chances of admission.
Thank you so much! That was what I was hoping to hear.

No, it does not. You can volunteer to do all of 3rd and 4th year there, but you may also be assigned those locations for parts of your rotations. BR and Lafayette are both awesome places to rotate at, and many of my classmates have preferred them over NOLA.

Reactions: 1 users

It shouldn’t. Realistically, most of the people who end up out of New Orleans for a specific rotation *requested* it, and it’s not really an abundance of people who get forced to go somewhere they absolutely can’t stand.

I don’t know why they ask this question, though, because on the off-chance you do get put somewhere that you don’t want, they’re going to make you go with very few exceptions (such as breastfeeding or being the sole caretaker for someone).

I decided last minute not to used my school's review committee. File was complete 8/20 and haven't heard anything since. Any idea if using faculty letters over a committee letter effects chances of getting an interview?

I decided last minute not to used my school's review committee. File was complete 8/20 and haven't heard anything since. Any idea if using faculty letters over a committee letter effects chances of getting an interview?

I know that they typically want you to explain why you didn’t use the committee letter. They prefer committee letters. Both Nola and Shreveport.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I know that they typically want you to explain why you didn’t use the committee letter. They prefer committee letters. Both Nola and Shreveport.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Any tips on how to answer that question? It was a combination of things, but I don't want it to come off as a time management issue..

Any tips on how to answer that question? It was a combination of things, but I don't want it to come off as a time management issue..

Just be honest and explain the situation. I didn't have a committee letter and it wasn't an issue. One interviewer did ask me about it though.

For me, I didn't feel prepared to take the MCAT by the time required by the premed committee, and I figured a good MCAT score was more important. They seemed satisfied with that.

Has anyone heard back post interview? I got an email earlier offering me to apply to the School of Public Health as an MD/MPH candidate but I haven't received the letter from the SOM yet.

Any more IIs recently? I got one from Tulane and Shreveport but all silent from LSU-NOLA.

Anyone willing to comment on what interview day was like?

Anyone willing to comment on what interview day was like?

You have roughly 6-8 people all in a tiny conference room. You might get lost on your way there, but most people are very nice and will help you if you ask for directions. (Admissions is on the same floor as the cafeteria if you’re asking someone from a different program.) First, you get ~ 1 hour of how awesome the school is from Dr. Eubanks. Then, a few tour guides (basically all L2s at this point in the year) come to get you for a tour. These tour guides have *no* say on if you get in or not, so you can be chill. This is *a lot* of walking, so wear comfortable shoes. If you interview in the fall on a M/W, you’ll get to see students in anatomy and might even have students tell you to put on gloves and hand you a random body part. Lunch is provided, and you’ll have a reserved table in the cafeteria. After lunch, you do a quick walk-through of UMC, and then you go to the actual interviews. Basically, you all sit in the lobby of the admissions office and get pulled out one by one by different interviewers. You end up doing 3 individual interviews. Know how you’re going to answer “what is professionalisms” and “what is success” before the interview because those will come up.

It’s a pretty laid back interview day.

Reactions: 5 users
You have roughly 6-8 people all in a tiny conference room. You might get lost on your way there, but most people are very nice and will help you if you ask for directions. (Admissions is on the same floor as the cafeteria if you’re asking someone from a different program.) First, you get ~ 1 hour of how awesome the school is from Dr. Eubanks. Then, a few tour guides (basically all L2s at this point in the year) come to get you for a tour. These tour guides have *no* say on if you get in or not, so you can be chill. This is *a lot* of walking, so wear comfortable shoes. If you interview in the fall on a M/W, you’ll get to see students in anatomy and might even have students tell you to put on gloves and hand you a random body part. Lunch is provided, and you’ll have a reserved table in the cafeteria. After lunch, you do a quick walk-through of UMC, and then you go to the actual interviews. Basically, you all sit in the lobby of the admissions office and get pulled out one by one by different interviewers. You end up doing 3 individual interviews. Know how you’re going to answer “what is professionalisms” and “what is success” before the interview because those will come up.

+1. Interview itself is very chill. The questions were all very straightforward and conversational. In no way did I feel like they were out to grill me or anything like that.

The interview day was great and I felt like they really made an effort to sell the school to you.

+1. Interview itself is very chill. The questions were all very straightforward and conversational. In no way did I feel like they were out to grill me or anything like that.

The interview day was great and I felt like they really made an effort to sell the school to you.

Thank you guys so much!! This was super helpful.

Congrats! That’s a quick turn around! Do you mind sharing stats?
Yeah I was really surprised how quick they got back to me.
3.7 for both GPA’s
512 MCAT and also in state with a lot of paid clinical hours. The reason they got back to me so quick was probably because I fit their mission to a T and am applying to the rural scholars track.

Will they get back to us Post-Interview through SnailMail or an Email do you think?

Will they get back to us Post-Interview through SnailMail or an Email do you think?

Post interview response is snail mail unfortunately. The wait sucks, but its a great feeling when you finally get it. I believe they meet to make post-interview decisions every 3 weeks. So, you should hear back anywhere from 1-3 weeks. They told us when they would be meeting to make an initial decision on our applications on interview day.

They sent their response to my school address, not my permanent address, if that's worth anything.

Post interview response is snail mail unfortunately. The wait sucks, but its a great feeling when you finally get it. I believe they meet to make post-interview decisions every 3 weeks. So, you should hear back anywhere from 1-3 weeks. They told us when they would be meeting to make an initial decision on our applications on interview day.

They sent their response to my school address, not my permanent address, if that's worth anything.
such an odd school

Finally a II invite! Received this afternoon.