2019-2020 Oakland (Beaumont)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2nd tier and also received the survey.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to have a heart attack if they send one more email with "waitlist" in the subject line

Reactions: 1 users
withdrew my acceptance today. definitely a lot harder than I thought it would be-- OUWB is such an awesome school and I loved everyone I interacted with from there! Here's to maybe matching at oakland in the future ;) good luck everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
withdrew my acceptance today. definitely a lot harder than I thought it would be-- OUWB is such an awesome school and I loved everyone I interacted with from there! Here's to maybe matching at oakland in the future ;) good luck everyone!
do you mind if I ask if you were IS or OOS?

Withdrew my acceptance today. Hoping the spot goes to one of you!

Reactions: 8 users
Any of the accepted students now how many have been accepted so far?

Difficult decision but also withdrew- hope it goes to one of you!!

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah 250 seems crazy for accepted students. Isn't the class size 125?

True, but looking at the list the current students make up about 30 people, and accounting for people who aren't on FB (albeit this may be a small number) there is likely still over 200. 250 was just an estimate
I'm a current M1 and about 90+ of my friends are in the class of 2024 page, along with many other classmates and M2s I'm not FB friends with. Unfortunately the class page is not a good measure of estimating accepted students.

I'm happy to answer any questions here or by PM anyone has about being a student at OUWB!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a current M1 and about 90+ of my friends are in the class of 2024 page, along with many other classmates and M2s I'm not FB friends with. Unfortunately the class page is not a good measure of estimating accepted students.

I'm happy to answer any questions here or by PM anyone has about being a student at OUWB!
Have you heard anything regarding fall classes being online?

No definitive decisions have been made unfortunately :/ I really hope we are able to establish a sense of normalcy soon. Us current students are just as in the dark as you guys. Schools across the country are still waiting to decide.

True, but looking at the list the current students make up about 30 people, and accounting for people who aren't on FB (albeit this may be a small number) there is likely still over 200. 250 was just an estimate

I can also confirm that 105 of my facebook friends are on the class page (m1s) and a other current students that I am not Facebook friends with.

No definitive decisions have been made unfortunately :/ I really hope we are able to establish a sense of normalcy soon. Us current students are just as in the dark as you guys. Schools across the country are still waiting to decide.
Have there been any talks regarding it though? Some California undergrad universities have been discussing online options for fall semester, so it seems like some schools may remain physically closed.

Have there been any talks regarding it though? Some California undergrad universities have been discussing online options for fall semester, so it seems like some schools may remain physically closed.

There’s this. Don’t know how reliable it is.

During the webinars, Dean K has said they are preparing for both online lectures and regular in class just to be safe, but no final decision has been made either way. He said that they of course much rather the regular in person.

Just withdrew from here. It was really bittersweet and this is a fantastic place to be. I hope it goes to one of you deserving people!

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew my acceptance with full-merit scholarship yesterday. OUWB is such a happy place to be! I hope one of you folks on the WL gets some exciting news + $$ soon!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Man, I wish I was first tier lmao.

Thank you all for letting us know you withdrew! Gives some of us hope!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I was on the waitlist here (first tier), but withdrew, hopefully one of you gets bumped up!! :)

Reactions: 7 users
I withdrew this week. Best of luck to those on the WL!

Reactions: 7 users
During a recent town hall they said they are preparing for fall semester to be online. For new M1s, this means the possibility of white coat ceremony & orientation activities (a pretty fun week) being delayed, and anatomy lab being converted to online learning. Nothing has been officially decided but the school is prepared.

Any waitlisters hear anything yet? I hope there's movement

Nothing yet. But there were only about 5 or 6 people on here who said they were tier 1. It seems as though the committee meets on Wednesdays. Maybe they only send out acceptances on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Did you guys get any sort of confirmation after completing the waitlist survey?

If anyone is wondering, I do have a friend who has been pulled off the first tier waitlist a couple days ago

Anyone know if there's a difference between top tier IS vs OOS? I'm OOS but I know OUWB seems to prefer having a majority of IS

Anyone know if there's a difference between top tier IS vs OOS? I'm OOS but I know OUWB seems to prefer having a majority of IS

I don’t think OUWB is known to have a geographic bias. Based on class demographics i’d say other states are pretty well represented. They probably admit more MI because of more MI applicants but that doesn’t necessarily mean they prefer MI over others

Just got the call! OOS First tier! Cried on the phone and I'm pretty sure Dean K thinks I'm nuts now lol

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I missed a call from a 317 area code but it actually turned out to be Dean K. Accepted off the first tier waitlist. OOS from Ohio.

Reactions: 3 users
I don’t think OUWB is known to have a geographic bias. Based on class demographics i’d say other states are pretty well represented. They probably admit more MI because of more MI applicants but that doesn’t necessarily mean they prefer MI over others

I think being OOS is actually an advantage. People who are OOS are more likely to want to stay closer to home if they get into their in state school. I think they probably replace every OOS spot with an OOS WL person. Not saying this is always true but I’m sure it’s more common for OOS people to give up their spots.

To current students: what are the specs for the MacBook Pro that's provided through the student laptop program?

Would we be expected to move in even if classes are online for the Fall semester? This whole situation is a mess man.

Would we be expected to move in even if classes are online for the Fall semester? This whole situation is a mess man.
Really would like more info on this. My home state is extending the stay at home order till August. Moving under these circumstances would be difficult

To current students: what are the specs for the MacBook Pro that's provided through the student laptop program?
Base model 13" from last summer, 500 GB, 1.4 GHz i5, 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3. Presumably they will order the base 13" model this year with the same storage for the incoming class.

Last edited:
Really would like more info on this. My home state is extending the stay at home order till August. Moving under these circumstances would be difficult
I know the uncertainty is frustrating, but they are still trying to figure it all out. Right now the university has cancelled face-to-face for the summer semesters, which overlaps with the beginning of med school in August. For now I would say cover your bases by getting on waiting lists for local apartments, but also look into places that may be further away from campus but less expensive. There have been no official decisions yet (because they have to coordinate with the university and obvs the state government too) but in all likelihood you will be spending minimal time on campus this fall.

Hey I was looking for the "Commit to Enroll" tab on AMCAS but the only option I got is Plan to enroll, any other people have this issue?

Hey I was looking for the "Commit to Enroll" tab on AMCAS but the only option I got is Plan to enroll, any other people have this issue?
if you choose "edit selection" you will see the commit to enroll option.

Same, but I'd move regardless, you don't want to be moving during the winter break or even worse during the middle of the semester if they change any of the classes.

I think most schools will probably take a hybrid approach to minimize classroom time. However, you just can't replace labs with online content. I'm moving from West to East Coast with a family in tow. The whole West Coast is very much locked down. Just be thankful you don't have to sell a house or hire a nanny (because elementary schools are closed), during a pandemic. This isn't China. You're free to move. Put on your big girl undies. You got this!