2019-2020 Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call and was accepted (virtual interview on 3/20)! Still waiting on the e-mail for more info, but does anybody know how much the deposit is?

Just got the call and was accepted (virtual interview on 3/20)! Still waiting on the e-mail for more info, but does anybody know how much the deposit is?

Deposit is $1000, paid through the online site you submitted your secondary through. There’ll be more instructions on that when you get that update email!! Also, it wouldn’t hurt to take a look at their “Newly Admitted Student” page:

It’s got tons of helpful info as to what you’ll need to start getting together for matriculation. And if you’re on FB, join the “PNWU Class of 2024” page and say hi!

Reactions: 2 users
did u get a call back from the march 20th interview? I thought they waited till this Friday. is this incorrect?

NVM I got waitlisted pretty sad right now. Does anyone know approx. how large their waitlist are?
Do they waitlist a large proportion or their interviewees or is this a good sign? Having a hard time catching my breath and thinking of going through this process again financially and mentally.
I think it is best to start prepping for the next cycle. If you received any R from any school, give them a call to ask for their advice on how to improve your application.

Reactions: 1 users
@docgirl123!!! I am never one to make declarative statements, because you're apt to look foolish in retrospect. But, if you don't have strong ties to the PNW, I would save my money. You can look at the fast facts for PNWU and see that their cohorts are usually from their 5-state catchment. But, that doesn't mean it isn't possible. 30% of the matriculants are sometimes not from the PNW, but I would suspect strong ties. Like, attended university in the PNW. But, again, what do I know? If you feel like you're a good match, just get those LOR, show you care about rural medicine and apply. Whats the worst that can happen? I would suspect that if you had an upward trend for your uGPA and your masters program went well, that should set you up for success at most DO schools with your MCAT score.

did u get a call back from the march 20th interview? I thought they waited till this Friday. is this incorrect?

NVM I got waitlisted pretty sad right now. Does anyone know approx. how large their waitlist are?
Do they waitlist a large proportion or their interviewees or is this a good sign? Having a hard time catching my breath and thinking of going through this process again financially and mentally.

I understand. I did too. Last year their waitlist was around 100 people and I believe about 35 got off it. So don't lose hope!

Are people waiting for the host to start, or is it just me?

I am a little bit confused about the financial aid situation. I read on the "new student" information page that FAFSA opens up on 10/01...so does that mean tuition from AUG - OCT is paid later (since classes start in AUG)? And does that also mean disbursement is given later too?

Or did I make a mistake and should have done FAFSA last year in OCT?

I am a little bit confused about the financial aid situation. I read on the "new student" information page that FAFSA opens up on 10/01...so does that mean tuition from AUG - OCT is paid later (since classes start in AUG)? And does that also mean disbursement is given later too?

Or did I make a mistake and should have done FAFSA last year in OCT?
FAFSA opens in October of the year prior. Si gor this 2020-2021 school year starting in the fall, you could apply got the FAFSA as early as October 2019. That's all. You still have time to apply for this upcoming year but definitely do it sooner rather than later

Members don't see this ad :)
FAFSA opens in October of the year prior. Si gor this 2020-2021 school year starting in the fall, you could apply got the FAFSA as early as October 2019. That's all. You still have time to apply for this upcoming year but definitely do it sooner rather than later

Ugh. I hope doing it this late doesn't impact things too much. I honestly did not think I would get accepted, so I just didn't do it. Thanks btw :)

I was wondering if I could get some insight for the future. I am a nontraditional student, from Georgia, with lots of extracurriculars, leadership, scribe experience, as well as lots of experience working with rural and underserved communities (which is where I grew up). However, I had a lower undergrad gpa of 2.7 but will have a 3.3 master's GPA when applying, with a 507 MCAT. For next cycle, given that there may be less applicants, do I have a decent shot at this school? This school is my top choice. I am just a bit worried about my lower undergraduate GPA, but was unsure if there was anything else I could do at this point to boost my application. I know some schools say that if you have a 3.3-3.4 for the past 25-30 credits, they over look the undergraduate GPA. Does anyone know if this is true for this school? Please help!
Hey, not sure if this is helpful but I have very similar stats and background as you and was granted an interview this cycle! I was put on the waitlist, which I suspect is due to my undergrad GPA. It’s a great school and my top choice as well :)

Reactions: 3 users
I was wondering if I could get some insight for the future. I am a nontraditional student, from Georgia, with lots of extracurriculars, leadership, scribe experience, as well as lots of experience working with rural and underserved communities (which is where I grew up). However, I had a lower undergrad gpa of 2.7 but will have a 3.3 master's GPA when applying, with a 507 MCAT. For next cycle, given that there may be less applicants, do I have a decent shot at this school? This school is my top choice. I am just a bit worried about my lower undergraduate GPA, but was unsure if there was anything else I could do at this point to boost my application. I know some schools say that if you have a 3.3-3.4 for the past 25-30 credits, they over look the undergraduate GPA. Does anyone know if this is true for this school? Please help!

Hey, I wanted to let you know that I was in a similar boat as you before applying. I felt unsure of whether I could even compete and get an interview let alone an acceptance. I have a below 3.0 cGPA (upward trend though) and 504 MCAT, but I had lots of experiences similar to you (mainly clinical). I truly think PNWU looked at my application holistically because of my acceptance. I also got an interview at my state MD school (have yet to hear results from that). So I think it is possible if you show them that you reflected upon past mistakes and righted those wrongs. I think they just want to be reassured that you are truly ready. Don't give up if this is what you really want :)

Hey, I wanted to let you know that I was in a similar boat as you before applying. I felt unsure of whether I could even compete and get an interview let alone an acceptance. I have a below 3.0 cGPA (upward trend though) and 504 MCAT, but I had lots of experiences similar to you (mainly clinical). I truly think PNWU looked at my application holistically because of my acceptance. I also got an interview at my state MD school (have yet to hear results from that). So I think it is possible if you show them that you reflected upon past mistakes and righted those wrongs. I think they just want to be reassured that you are truly ready. Don't give up if this is what you really want :)
Thank you so much!! Do you mind if i private message you with some questions please?

Hi there,

I interviewed 2/28 and got accepted 3/9! I, however, got an email on 3/3 that I am short 2-semester credits of ochem. I don't think I have time especially with the pandemic to finish the requirements by 8/1. I will be sending a letter of deferment on Friday. I want to not rush through the ochem classes I need to take to get an A in both and be ready for medical school. I hope everyone is doing well!

You technically only need a C. If you do decide you want to take it, I took mine through UNE and it actually wasn’t a bad course. I only needed 1 credit so I just took the lab, but I had access to the lecture material too and it’s pretty thorough. It also starts every couple of weeks so you could theoretically start it now and have a decent chunk of time.

Pretty bummed I got waitlisted but a bit confused on the email. Can anyone speak to the wording that was in their waitlist email?

Pretty bummed I got waitlisted but a bit confused on the email. Can anyone speak to the wording that was in their waitlist email?

As long as it is the same one I got back in November, it's basically saying that you were placed on waitlist. Over the remaining application program, they will review your app and may accept or decline, but since it is close to the end of the application cycle it won't matter too much.

Then come May they rank their waitlist. If you rank among the top 30 people on the waitlist, you will get an email notifying you that you are in the top 30 waitlisted applicants. If you are NOT within the top 30, I believe you will not get an email notifying you of your rank.

Looking at last years they did and they also accepted a few off the unranked waitlist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year, I believe they accepted about 40! I think it really depends on the year, but usually at least accept top 30 before August.

Hello! For admitted students, has anyone heard anything about financial aid/ loans? I submitted my FAFSA a few months ago, but I’m not sure if I should be doing anything else or if everyone is just waiting until we are closer to the start of the semester. thank you!

Hello! For admitted students, has anyone heard anything about financial aid/ loans? I submitted my FAFSA a few months ago, but I’m not sure if I should be doing anything else or if everyone is just waiting until we are closer to the start of the semester. thank you!
Nothing yet for me either! I submitted mine probably a month ago though

Not sure if you were a part of the Zoom meeting they held this last Friday, but it sounds like we might first see our offers when they send us access to our emails on May 1st.

The financial aid website has a little timeline breakdown though that’s been helpful in getting to understand the process!

Here’s the link if you hadn’t seen it yet :)

Is this school OOS friendly?

I’m not familiar with the exact number breakdown of where all of the students in a class come from, but their clinical rotations page has a little blurb near the top that highlights the percentages of where matriculants come from.

So it really depends by what you mean OOS since they have a wider catchment area they prefer to consider - sort of like U Wash does.

Here’s the link!

Not sure if you were a part of the Zoom meeting they held this last Friday, but it sounds like we might first see our offers when they send us access to our emails on May 1st.

The financial aid website has a little timeline breakdown though that’s been helpful in getting to understand the process!

Here’s the link if you hadn’t seen it yet :)

I was at the meeting on Friday so it did answer some of my questions. Thank you for the timeline, I haven’t seen that before!

Is this school OOS friendly?

Yes they are OOS friendly. I and several of my classmates are from out of the region and were accepted. I’m not sure on the exact numbers of how many folks are accepted, but they are more open to it than other schools in WA (mostly because they don’t get the same funding.) As long as you fit their mission I would say go for it.

You guys I got into my dream school and so I am going to be withdrawing from PNWU tomorrow, officially. I wish you guys the best luck. And don't ever give up if this is where your heart truly lies!!

Reactions: 7 users
I wonder when they're going to start ranking the waitlist! They said early May :)

Received the ranking email today! I’ve seen in years past they rank top 20 and 30 but does anyone know if they notify down to top 10 as well?
Good luck everyone stay strong!

Reactions: 3 users
Received the ranking email today! I’ve seen in years past they rank top 20 and 30 but does anyone know if they notify down to top 10 as well?
Good luck everyone stay strong!
You did?? What did it say??

Is anyone else still waiting for an email?? I hope this doesn't mean that I didn't rank in the top 30 :(

Is anyone else still waiting for an email?? I hope this doesn't mean that I didn't rank in the top 30 :(
I am also an anxious ball of waiting. This is my top choice school over any other school so I'm quite nervous!

I am also a anxious ball of waiting. This is my top choice school over any other school so I'm quite nervous!

This is my second year on the waitlist and I really want to go here. I will be so disappointed if I don't get ranked.

This is my second year on the waitlist and I really want to go here. I will be so disappointed if I don't get ranked.
Best of luck to you! That would be so much worse for nerves! This is only my first year applying and I feel blessed just to have been given an interview.

I hope we all get emails with good news!