2020-2021 Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Baylor College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

I just heard from a WL, OOS acceptee. This happens in May at BCM, and you can even get help with their already attractive tuition (even OOS, the face amount might be well lower than IS public schools.)

BCM bills itself as "the best value among private medical schools"...we found that to be too modest. Our family saved (2012-2016) a good $70k over our lone in-state public medical school.

The odds are long to gain admission, and acceptance is methodical...but it is well worth the wait and the hope.

BCM routinely has the top Step Score averages (# 1, or close to it) among all 150 American medical schools...which, in turn, leads to killer match lists.

And Houston has an attractive COL, climate, and amenities versus many other top schools.

Get your paperwork in early...and keep your fingers crossed! Good luck! ;~)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
One of my prior "home team posts" singing BCM's praises...I drop by here less often now, so decided to get some info posted early in the process-- :)

BCM will proffer a demanding challenge to be sure, but the atmosphere is collegial and supportive...the great faculty really cares. Our daughter (OOS) attended 2012-2016 and loved it. She later smoked the Steps and credited BCM for its part in that preparation. Acceptance has gotten still more competitive, especially OOS. (When she matriculated, they took 25% OOS, which she was...I believe that is down to 15% now.)

Some overview points for those rightly considering BCM:

1) do not fear interviewing late at BCM vis-a-vis your chances of acceptance...our daughter was complete a bit late and interviewed (OOS) on the very last interview date for the 2012 class

2) they have scholarship $ available late

3) BCM is an EXCEPTIONAL cost value even relative to home state/in-state medical school costs, and with or without a scholarship. It might be less expensive OOS than your IS schools straight-up (w/o a scholarship). ALL schools charge fees in addition to tuition, so don't let BCM's fees spook you.

4) Be sure to focus on NET costs to you...some schools are quick to note how many students get scholarships, but if the "list price" tuition and fees are very high, you might pay quite a lot more net than to go to BCM (even OOS).

5) BCM can position you to smoke the Steps and track toward top residency interviews and matches. It is either # 1 or close to it in Step score averages every year.

6) the PRN (Peer Resource Network) thing is a nice plus to help you adjust to medical school--

7) the 18-month pre-clinical period (which might have originated at BCM) has proven to work well...it gets you into the hospitals sooner seeing patients, which is what medicine is really all about.

8) Notwithstanding the earlier rare flooding from the hurricane, and the usual sticky heat, as a practical matter Houston is a far better place than various other top program locations (Washington U, Harvard, Hopkins, e.g.) to attend medical school. COL is moderate to low, and you can live a 15-minute bus ride away...just $1.20 a day for student fares. In your free/down time, there are excellent dining and cultural activities/sports.

For anyone OOS, after establishing Texas residency (buy R.E. before you matriculate...or you could marry a Texas resident! :)
:)
, and net of a 50% scholarship, BCM was WELL LESS EXPENSIVE than going IS to our public medical school might have been.

BCM boasts (rightfully) that it is the best private medical school value in America-- but they are being TOO MODEST! BCM is the best medical school value PERIOD, especially when you factor in the bang for the buck---> tangible results (Step scores and residency matches) vis-a-vis net costs

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor seems to have officially moved interviews for this upcoming cycle online

Reactions: 4 users
Baylor seems to have officially moved interviews for this upcoming cycle online
The positive is that it saves us all money from traveling if we interview. The negative is that some people make decisions based on the feel they got from visiting the campus

Reactions: 1 users
The positive is that it saves us all money from traveling if we interview. The negative is that some people make decisions based on the feel they got from visiting the campus
Hopefully second look is still on for admitted students

Reactions: 1 user
I am just grateful they're looking out for applicants. I am really worried about schools to have in-person interviews because some of my family are high -risk to COVID and I currently live with them. Hoping more schools move to the online format if they are able!

Baylor says they you can send additional letters (4 is the max), but they don't guarantee they will read more than 4. Do you guys think sending an extra letter is OK (for a count of 5 total)? I think the 4 I sent are my strongest, but I wanted to add my other research PI on there. I read an old thread that Baylor does read all the letters so I wasn't too sure.

Baylor says they you can send additional letters (4 is the max), but they don't guarantee they will read more than 4. Do you guys think sending an extra letter is OK (for a count of 5 total)? I think the 4 I sent are my strongest, but I wanted to add my other research PI on there. I read an old thread that Baylor does read all the letters so I wasn't too sure.
I’m curious about this too.

@wysdoc i know you have experience with Texas schools so do you have any insight into this?

I’m curious about this too.

@wysdoc i know you have experience with Texas schools so do you have any insight into this?
My general advice is to follow the instructions. They say 3 letters are required but you may send a 4th. Wanting to send a 5th seems like overdoing it.

Are there any URM students that can y’all about the diversity and support at Baylor?
I had it on my list but am a bit concerned
Their class is 21%URM. Support and mentorship is a big part of their school.

Is anyone else having some issues with the Baylor Supplemental Application?

Paragraph breaks appear in entry boxes, but not when I click the "Print Application" button. Even when I've typed everything in directly. Additionally, in the "Print Application" view, there are places for SAT & ACT scores, but there was no place to enter those in the application itself.

Last edited:

Paragraph breaks appear in entry boxes, but not when I click the "Print Application" button. Even when I'v typed everything in directly. Additionally, in the "Print Application" view, there are places for SAT & ACT scores, but there was no place to enter those in the application itself.
Did you get an email invite for the secondary or did you just go to the website and make an account on your own?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just make an account, open to anyone who sent off a primary there.
Did you get an email invite for the secondary or did you just go to the website and make an account on your own?

1. If you have taken a gap year(s), please explain what you have been, or will be, doing since graduating from your undergrad institution. (2000 characters)

2. Is becoming a physician a second career for you? If so, what was your first career choice? (2000 characters)

3 (REQUIRED). Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information. (2000 characters)

@TheDataKing

• Love

Paragraph breaks appear in entry boxes, but not when I click the "Print Application" button. Even when I'v typed everything in directly. Additionally, in the "Print Application" view, there are places for SAT & ACT scores, but there was no place to enter those in the application itself.

+1 to this issue

1. If you have taken a gap year(s), please explain what you have been, or will be, doing since graduating from your undergrad institution. (2000 characters)

2. Is becoming a physician a second career for you? If so, what was your first career choice? (2000 characters)

3 (REQUIRED). Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you, including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity. You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information. (2000 characters)

@TheDataKing

For MD/PhD the following prompt is also required:

Please describe your primary research Interests for dual degree training including potential Baylor College of Medicine faculty with whom you would like to work. (Will not limit final research project or mentor selection) Limit essay to 2000 characters.

They are also not accepting applications to their joint Bioengineering program with Rice this year

Looks like Baylor will require VITA this year :(

I believe you go to their website and make an account for your secondary. No email invitation needed

Can a current applicant confirm this for me?
I just checked and this is true. I am a current applicant

Paragraph breaks appear in entry boxes, but not when I click the "Print Application" button. Even when I've typed everything in directly. Additionally, in the "Print Application" view, there are places for SAT & ACT scores, but there was no place to enter those in the application itself.
Also happened to me.. Hoping it's just an error and that it will resolve after submission - fingers crossed!

How should I answer the question regarding medicine being a second career choice, if it's not applicable? Are you all leaving it blank or answering in some way? Thanks

Are you inserting line breaks between paragraphs?
I did put a line between each of my paragraphs, even though I couldn't see the line breaks when I looked at the printed version.

In regards to your other question, I did not answer the second career question. Since it's an optional question, I'm assuming that if an applicant leaves it empty, they will assume this is not a second career.

Does anyone else's application status say "There was a problem retrieving your record"?

Hi! I am not sure what VITA is. Could you explain?
it's the new video interview tool just created by the AAMC—basically like a video casper with some common interview questions. Not sure if Baylor will use as selection tool for interviews or acceptances

Does anyone else's application status say "There was a problem retrieving your record"?

Mine does. It says this could either be because I didn't enter my AAMC ID (I did) or that Baylor hasn't received my application from AMCAS. Maybe it takes time for them to download the AMCAS files and pair them with accounts?

Mine does. It says this could either be because I didn't enter my AAMC ID (I did) or that Baylor hasn't received my application from AMCAS. Maybe it takes time for them to download the AMCAS files and pair them with accounts?
Yea hopefully, I also submitted the correct AAMC ID. I was also verified May 28 so I’m unsure

Has anyone emailed/called Baylor about this?

Has anyone emailed/called Baylor about this?

I did on 1 July, when their application was originally scheduled to open. I spoke to a very friendly representative, who directed me to send an e-mail for this specific issue. Unfortunately, the e-mail response didn't quite get at what I needed, though it did inform me that Baylor doesn't require SAT or ACT scores. I assumed the display would be fixed when they re-launched 10 July, but no dice. I've submitted regardless.

Last edited:
Does someone know if selecting an interest in the MD/MPH program allows you to still be considered for the regular MD program if you don’t get into the MD/MPH program? I’m assuming yes, but I want to make sure before I select it and submit my secondary.

I've already submitted it. My guess is that the ACT/SAT scores is for Baylor's BS/MD program and not so important for applicants in the MD program.

What about the "Departments of Interest" section at the bottom of the app? I tried calling but didn't really seem like they understood what I was talking about. Yeah they said not to worry about the act/sat section

Is anyone's status update also just saying "Baylor College of Medicine interviews from August through February."?

Is anyone's status update also just saying "Baylor College of Medicine interviews from August through February."?

I submitted it on the same day they sent it out and mine still says "Your application is complete and is being reviewed by the committee. All further correspondence will be via email."

Welp idk whats wrong with mine then, I called their office and they said they haven't received my LORs. AMCAS sent them yesterday so hopefully it'll be processed soon