2020-2021 Texas Tech, El Paso

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just a heads up to those of you interviewing in the next couple of weeks! They've updated the interview information in the application portal with the schedule for virtual interview day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm having a really hard time answering such a general question. I feel like I have to write about multiple experiences to hit the multiple points that they have in the question, but it's gonna be way too long. Any ideas?
I'm struggling with the answering the honors code prompt as well. Anyone have any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm struggling with the answering the honors code prompt as well. Anyone have any advice?
I can give you a general idea of what I did. I talked about how as part of my master's degree at an HSC, I took part in ER simulations. I noticed that the diagnosis and treatment my team was going with was likely incorrect. So, instead of just sitting back, I spoke up, we reassessed the situation, and then realized that our patient would have died had we not changed courses.
I would say try to find some example in your life where you spoke up for something, even though it was unpopular, and then tie that back in to medicine and your future practice.
Another option would be to talk about a time that you interacted in a professional setting (I.e. with a physician or professor), what you learned from that experience, and how it will change your behavior and expectations going forward.

I can give you a general idea of what I did. I talked about how as part of my master's degree at an HSC, I took part in ER simulations. I noticed that the diagnosis and treatment my team was going with was likely incorrect. So, instead of just sitting back, I spoke up, we reassessed the situation, and then realized that our patient would have died had we not changed courses.
I would say try to find some example in your life where you spoke up for something, even though it was unpopular, and then tie that back in to medicine and your future practice.
Another option would be to talk about a time that you interacted in a professional setting (I.e. with a physician or professor), what you learned from that experience, and how it will change your behavior and expectations going forward.

Thank you for sharing what you wrote about! I will be sure to pick experiences based on this. I was thinking about doing an integrity example even though it wasn't in a professional setting, so I might change this example after reading your advice.

You can choose just 1 or 2 aspects of the honor code to write about, you don't have to use all.

Oh alright. That is great to know! Makes things a lot easier.

why does their secondary essay have the same question as the TMDSAS optional essay?

TMDSAS: Briefly discuss any unique circumstances or life experiences that are relevant to your application which have not previously been presented.

El Paso: Please describe any unique personal experiences or disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree

Like why they gotta do us like that?

I feel like if you already answered the optional question on tmdsas, then the el paso question may focus on any significant hardship you may have had. Since I don't have any significant experience that I didn't already mention in my primaries that impacted my journey to medical school, I'm just saying not applicable for this one. This is just my take on it though.

I didn't receive the secondary yet, but is it optional? I feel like you can only put N/A if optional.

It doesn't say optional, but I think if you don't have any additional things to mention it's fine to say n/a because otherwise the essay may seem forced.
@wysdoc Do you think this is the right approach for this prompt?

Hi everyone!

I had a few questions:

- Do II's get sent in batches?
- Has anyone received any II's from PLFSOM since June 1st?
- I submitted my application on July 3rd. Would this still be considered 'early' in the application cycle?
- I am retaking the MCAT on August 29, but I have an MCAT score from January. How would this affect Interview Invites from PLFSOM?

Thank you all so much.

Hi everyone!

I had a few questions:

- Do II's get sent in batches?
- Has anyone received any II's from PLFSOM since June 1st?
- I submitted my application on July 3rd. Would this still be considered 'early' in the application cycle?
- I am retaking the MCAT on August 29, but I have an MCAT score from January. How would this affect Interview Invites from PLFSOM?

Thank you all so much.
From what I've heard, PLFSOM will wait until your new MCAT score is released to review your application if you indicated on TMDSAS that you were retaking it. IIs do mostly get sent in batches and your submission on the 3rd is early still. But, your new MCAT score (at least for some schools like PLFSOM) will cause your application to be viewed after your new scores are submitted. I know some schools will review your app with your previous scores even though you have a retake upcoming and can invite you still to interview or they could just wait to see your new score, it just really depends on the school and it does not hurt to email them and ask out of curiosity! July 1st is the only time I've heard of IIs from PLFSOM get sent out, although maybe SDNers may have not posted they got one since. Goodluck!

Reactions: 1 users
From what I've heard, PLFSOM will wait until your new MCAT score is released to review your application if you indicated on TMDSAS that you were retaking it. IIs do mostly get sent in batches and your submission on the 3rd is early still. But, your new MCAT score (at least for some schools like PLFSOM) will cause your application to be viewed after your new scores are submitted. I know some schools will review your app with your previous scores even though you have a retake upcoming and can invite you still to interview or they could just wait to see your new score, it just really depends on the school and it does not hurt to email them and ask out of curiosity! July 1st is the only time I've heard of IIs from PLFSOM get sent out, although maybe SDNers may have not posted they got one since. Goodluck!

Thank you so much!! I hope my late MCAT doesn't reduce my chances of getting interviews! Best of luck to you too :)

Thank you so much!! I hope my late MCAT doesn't reduce my chances of getting interviews! Best of luck to you too :)
Oh wow! I'm so sorry to bother you again, but I noticed you've gotten IIs already! That's amazing!! Would it be okay if I ask what your MCAT score was like? :)

Oh wow! I'm so sorry to bother you again, but I noticed you've gotten IIs already! That's amazing!! Would it be okay if I ask what your MCAT score was like? :)
Thank you! I'll pm you my stats! :)

• Love
Can someone double-check that they can sign into the portal?

I'm having trouble with it. I'm using the official link they sent me and have tried resetting my password multiple times.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone double-check that they can sign into the portal?

I'm having trouble with it. I'm using the official link they sent me and have tried resetting my password multiple times.
I noticed this the other day as well. I just tried again and its still not letting me through. Pretty sure its not an issue with the password!

Anyone having issues accessing PLFSOM portal tonight?
I noticed this the other day as well. I just tried again and its still not letting me through. Pretty sure its not an issue with the password!
Same, then I found out this was due to using google chrome. Firefox worked.

• Love
Anyone having issues accessing PLFSOM portal tonight?

Same, then I found out this was due to using google chrome. Firefox worked.
Weird. I know that Chrome worked before, but Firefox just worked for me. Thanks!

Another user suggested using Firefox. It worked!

Anyone know how much weight PLFSOM or other TX med schools place on CASPer scores? Some people have said it's almost equal to that of the MCAT, while others say it doesn't matter much (or at all).

Anyone know how much weight PLFSOM or other TX med schools place on CASPer scores? Some people have said it's almost equal to that of the MCAT, while others say it doesn't matter much (or at all).
equal to the MCAT?! thats crazy, I hope not lol I dont think I did amazing

For those who interviewed today yesterday (8/6) how did it go?

My interviewers were kind and attentive, and our conversations were substantive. Indeed, the whole day was swell — a number of engaging curriculum design and program development presentations, a few virtual tours, a med student panel, etc. There were a few technical hitches at the very beginning, but they were very quickly sorted out. Admissions staff, faculty and current students clearly invested in making the virtual experience memorable. I can't share specifics, as we had to sign a confidentiality agreement, but suffice to say that PLFSOM impressed me greatly.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Just received an II @ 9:16 pm CT!!!! Complete on 7/18!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
II just now :) complete 7/12

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I submitted everything on 7/9, should I start worrying now?

I submitted everything on 7/9, should I start worrying now?
I would NOT worry yet. IIs have only been going out for a little bit of time. Since everything got shifted back this is basically like IIs being sent in early July on a normal year. Most people don't get IIs until like August/September in a normal year and many much later, so I would say this is still super early so there is NO reason to panic! :)

I would NOT worry yet. IIs have only been going out for a little bit of time. Since everything got shifted back this is basically like IIs being sent in early July on a normal year. Most people don't get IIs until like August/September in a normal year and many much later, so I would say this is still super early so there is NO reason to panic! :)
Awesome! Thank you so much!

How about if we submitted in June

Do schools really not review your app based on submission date? Then what is the point of applying early?

They will review apps, set it aside then possibly review them again. Sometimes apps are stratified. It is not always so clearly cut in chronological order. Try not to think about it too much. Go outside, do something fun. Interviews come when they come. Worrying about them isn’t going to do you any favors

Reactions: 3 users
For those of you worried about not receiving an II yet, don’t worry! I was complete here last cycle in mid June and didn’t receive an II until November or December for one of their last interview dates in January, and now I’m in my third week of med school here! Sending good luck to all of y’all still waiting!

• Love
Reactions: 19 users
Received ii this morning! Submitted secondary on 7/28

Reactions: 2 users
Received an ii this morning at around 9AM! Completed 7/2. ORM.

Got an II at around 10 AM, complete 7/17, ORM no rural or west texas ties

Reactions: 2 users
I’ll preface this by saying I know it’s still early for this cycle. However, last time I applied (and didn’t get in) I talked to an admissions rep from PLFSOM that gave me advice on how to improve my application. I did all that she suggested (graduate work, more clinical experience, improved MCAT), so I’m wondering if/when it would be appropriate to email her to let her know that I took her advice to heart and am excited to be a current applicant.

Any thoughts?

I’ll preface this by saying I know it’s still early for this cycle. However, last time I applied (and didn’t get in) I talked to an admissions rep from PLFSOM that gave me advice on how to improve my application. I did all that she suggested (graduate work, more clinical experience, improved MCAT), so I’m wondering if/when it would be appropriate to email her to let her know that I took her advice to heart and am excited to be a current applicant.

Any thoughts?
Did you get an interview last time to PLFSOM? Idk, to me it would be better to not email them. It just seems.. idk like you're trying to suck up to them? (not saying you are) but they don't accept update letters at all in any point of the cycle (says in the portal), so by ignoring what they say it may come off like you don't listen to rules, even if you don't mean to come off that way. I feel like if you listened to their advice, you should expect to get an interview and (hopefully) accepted!! But also, this is just my opinion so don't take it to heart lol :)

Last edited:
Did you get an interview last time to PLFSOM? Idk, to me it would be better to not email them. It just seems.. idk like you're trying to suck up to them? (not saying you are) but they dont accept update letters at all in any point of the cycle (says in the portal), so by ignoring what they say it may come off like you don't listen to rules, even if you don't mean to come off that way. I feel like if you listened to their advice, you should expect to get an interview and (hopefully) accepted!! also when did you apply this cycle?

Hi! It depends. It might be awkward if she doesn't remember you. But, wouldn't hurt to write a thank you message.

Besides, your improved application will show for itself, don't worry! :)

Any thoughts?

I think if you email her directly and not the main admissions email it would be okay. I do not think it’ll improve your chances though.

Any thoughts?

I think if you email her directly and not the main admissions email it would be okay. I do not think it’ll improve your chances though.

I just need to verify this to avoid stories that touch. The interview is schedule for 8:30AM, that corresponds to 9:30AM here ni Houston?

I just need to verify this to avoid stories that touch. The interview is schedule for 8:30AM, that corresponds to 9:30AM here ni Houston?
Yup! Houston is in CT and El Paso is in Mountain Time (MST).