2020-2021 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
deferred, hopefully there’s a lot of waitlist movement!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today, interviewed 5/21.

Reactions: 3 users
deferred, hopefully there’s a lot of waitlist movement!
I have been deferred since Jan ...seems like they aren’t accepting deferred candidates until all the interviews are terminated for the current cycle...that’s probably going to happen roughly in a week or two according to admissions

Ah okay, so maybe the next committee meeting will look into the deferred students. I’ve heard that WCU always has large waitlist movement and the post interview acceptance rate is very high. So I’m at peak optimism rn, would love to had the acceptance a bit earlier tho!

Secondary complete: 9/30/20 (8 months ago)
Interview invite: 5/14/21
Interview date: 5/21/21
Acceptance: 6/3/21

My first acceptance after many unsuccessful application cycles. I am on cloud 9 right now! I am incredibly grateful for this opportunity and hope that you all get great news as well.

Reactions: 4 users
Secondary complete: 9/30/20 (8 months ago)
Interview invite: 5/14/21
Interview date: 5/21/21
Acceptance: 6/3/21

My first acceptance after many unsuccessful application cycles. I am on cloud 9 right now! I am incredibly grateful for this opportunity and hope that you all get great news as well.
Congrats !!🎉

Would it be okay to call admissions about waitlist ranking this soon? Or should I wait?

Ah okay, so maybe the next committee meeting will look into the deferred students. I’ve heard that WCU always has large waitlist movement and the post interview acceptance rate is very high. So I’m at peak optimism rn, would love to had the acceptance a bit earlier tho!
I know many of the accepted students here are on other waitlists. So there is tons of opportunity for movement still.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! May I know your stats please if you don’t mind?
cGPA: 3.27, sGPA: 3.06 (but with >3.7 cGPA and sGPA in my M.S. in Biology), 508 MCAT. OOS but from the Gulf South. DO LOR, career in clinical research (nontrad), strong commitment to rural family medicine reflected in my LORs, personal statement, and interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I was wondering how long it says you have to pay the deposit for those who were just accepted since it's June?

Also, I was wondering how long it says you have to pay the deposit for those who were just accepted since it's June?
All it said for me was to pay immediately. If you call Ms. Donna and explain to her if you need a few days to collect the money or even a week, they will accommodate for you. Just sent in the registration forms and any other forms you need to send to show your commitement to enroll.

anyone know when the white coat ceremony is

Nah that's wrong. They said white coat ceremony is pushed to the spring semester of the second year. So Spring 2023
okay so in that case, When is first day of classes? sorry for so many questions. Are there also any M1 students on this thread? i have a couple of questions I would like to ask before accepting my acceptane

okay so in that case, When is first day of classes? sorry for so many questions. Are there also any M1 students on this thread? i have a couple of questions I would like to ask before accepting my acceptane
Orientation is tentatively scheduled in person for August 2-3, 2021. Classes are scheduled to begin on August 4, 2021.

Edit: August 2021

Are there any current students in here that can speak to the dress code at WCUCOM? It is business casual everyday with the exception of OMT or is it more relaxed?

Congrats, based on last year's thread people were getting interviewed in July and got accepted. Also, may I ask for your stats to see if I should still remain hopeful with wcucom haha
Apologies for my late response. I got accepted last Thursday as well. So there is still hope and the interviewers told me they do anticipate more II will be sent out all the way till end of June. Feel free to PM me :)

The interview is about 30 mins with two faculty. Very standard questions about your motivations to pursue this path and one ethical question related to medicine at the end. There are only 139 members on FB page and they are gonna accept 175 students this year I believe. I don't think the spots are filled yet and there is gonna be for sure movement from the WL since some people are still waiting to hear back from other schools and other WLs
Thank you so much. Apologies for my late reply. This was my format as well. And the interview went super chill. So thanks for your update but I am seeing it too late! Haha

I am a recently accepted student here. I have some question regarding the curriculum (like how many hours of OMM per week, are lectures mandatory and if the courses pass/fail)? I also have some questions about housing and the area. Can someone help with these questions, Please?

Apologies for my late response. I got accepted last Thursday as well. So there is still hope and the interviewers told me they do anticipate more II will be sent out all the way till end of June. Feel free to PM me :)
If they keep interviewing till end of June , when will the waitlist movement start happening? There are people waiting on the waitlist, and the waitlist movement would have typically started in May as in previous cycles...I wonder if there has been any waitlist movement yet, or will it start once the interviews stop...

Thank you so much. Apologies for my late reply. This was my format as well. And the interview went super chill. So thanks for your update but I am seeing it too late! Haha
Good stuff! This give me some hope!

If they keep interviewing till end of June , when will the waitlist movement start happening? There are people waiting on the waitlist, and the waitlist movement would have typically started in May as in previous cycles...I wonder if there has been any waitlist movement yet, or will it start once the interviews stop...
Good Question! My guess is that WL movement will happen once the interviews end in June. Because, In my interview I specifically asked if they are still sending out more interviews as I felt mine was way to late (May 21) for this cycle. And one of my interviewers said in the past years, they went out all the way till end of June. But he said this year, they have been seeing more applicants and that they are nearing the max seats. (Given that, there is a bunch of us who got accepted from the May 21st interview date).

That said, I am WLed at my state school and they have not started the WL movement here as well. So, if the max seats are met, then the II may stop sooner than end of June and WL movement will begin happening early.

Good Question! My guess is that WL movement will happen once the interviews end in June. Because, In my interview I specifically asked if they are still sending out more interviews as I felt mine was way to late (May 21) for this cycle. And one of my interviewers said in the past years, they went out all the way till end of June. But he said this year, they have been seeing more applicants and that they are nearing the max seats. (Given that, there is a bunch of us who got accepted from the May 21st interview date).

That said, I am WLed at my state school and they have not started the WL movement here as well. So, if the max seats are met, then the II may stop sooner than end of June and WL movement will begin happening early.
Got it! This gives me some hope. Thx!!!

I will likely be withdrawing my acceptance to WCUCOM soon to go to a school closer to home. I hope someone in this thread benefits from it. Good luck everyone.

How long does admissions take to give a decision on an interview?

Just received an II today...was super surprised considering how late we are in the cycle!

II received today

Me too! Was not expecting that
I received a II today as well. First post on SDN. Are they interviewing for active spots or interviewing to place on a different waitlist? I do not have much experience here since this is my first II.

I received a II today as well. First post on SDN. Are they interviewing for active spots or interviewing to place on a different waitlist? I do not have much experience here since this is my first II.
From reading the threads it sounds like for an active spot and sounds like they have quite high post II acceptance rate.

I am a recently accepted student here. I have some question regarding the curriculum (like how many hours of OMM per week, are lectures mandatory and if the courses pass/fail)? I also have some questions about housing and the area. Can someone help with these questions, Please?
You can reference the student handbook online (accessible to the public). I didn't see anything about how many hours of OMM there are per week. Lectures are stated to be mandatory :cryi: and courses are graded (90% = A; 80% = B; 70% = C). I'm looking for housing, too and it isn't easy to find haha :mad:

From reading the threads it sounds like for an active spot and sounds like they have quite high post II acceptance rate.
I actually just had an interview today, and I received an email a little earlier saying that the class is theoretically full and they are still interviewing to establish a long waitlist. Kinda sucks but makes sense that the class would be full by now.

I'm having trouble finding a 1 bedroom apartment. My plan is to move to Hattiesburg in July, but I can't find anything available before Aug 2nd. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm having trouble finding a 1 bedroom apartment. My plan is to move to Hattiesburg in July, but I can't find anything available before Aug 2nd. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Join the official WCUCOM Class of 2025 facebook page. There's a lot of tips being shared there. But just know you're not the only one struggling to find housing. I know several people (including me) who have struggled/are struggling.

Arbor Walk

Since COVID and because of class size increases, it's unlikely that there will be mandatory in person lectures anymore. There will still be mandatory OMM, labs, etc. in person. "Some" classes require online attendance. There's less mandatory lectures in second year to allow study for boards. My impression is that students figure out which/how many classes they can miss, so overall it isn't too bad.

I actually just had an interview today, and I received an email a little earlier saying that the class is theoretically full and they are still interviewing to establish a long waitlist. Kinda sucks but makes sense that the class would be full by now.
Dang really? That sucks I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Didn't make a lot of sense to me to conduct interviews if there's no spots but I guess this is how the game goes.