2021-2022 Brown (Alpert)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Recent communication I have simply says aid notification 'later in April,' but unsure of timing (early/mid/late). With regards to merit aid, they have several sources for MD/PhD students (link), but they don't seem open to MD-only students. But if any AMS students could confirm, I would definitely appreciate!
Oh, looking at that link I believe the list of scholarships below are for MD only.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else that is currently on the waitlist receive an email with the subject "AMS: NHSC Scholarship Application"? I received it this morning at 11:35 AM ET

Anyone else that is currently on the waitlist receive an email with the subject "AMS: NHSC Scholarship Application"? I received it this morning at 11:35 AM ET
Yup! I think they're just sharing the NHSC resources with all of us :)

Reactions: 1 user
They are just sharing an scholarship opportunity. It is basically the same as HPSP less money and civilian in a community health or non profit hospital vs military service. Definitely worthwhile if you intend on doing primary care in an underserved or rural area

Recent communication I have simply says aid notification 'later in April,' but unsure of timing (early/mid/late). With regards to merit aid, they have several sources for MD/PhD students (link), but they don't seem open to MD-only students. But if any AMS students could confirm, I would definitely appreciate!
Current student. Brown for the most part does need-based scholarships. However, like most schools, Brown does have a dean's scholarship that they award to students that they want to impress/court/keep from picking another school -- but these are not very common.

Current student. Brown for the most part does need-based scholarships. However, like most schools, Brown does have a dean's scholarship that they award to students that they want to impress/court/keep from picking another school -- but these are not very common.
Are these given in the initial April aid announcement?

When is AOA announced? (Is it a factor for Brown students applying to residency.)

Are these given in the initial April aid announcement?
Need-based should be released at the time you’re given FinAid. As for merit, someone my app year got a phone call from the Dean letting them know they got the scholarship — I think it was before the deadline to drop all but 3 As.

Received my fin aid packet today. A bit disappointed no scholarship beyond need-based aid, but grateful nonetheless!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How you gonna give $32K in scholarships and somehow still have $60K+ in loans per year?

Apparently EFC is “47% of net parental income.” After being independent all of undergrad, this is shocking to me. Parents make enough to do well for themselves but not enough to contribute, dang.

Happy with the scholly, just blown away by the loan volume after scholly still.

Received my fin aid packet today. A bit disappointed no scholarship beyond need-based aid, but grateful nonetheless!

A current student said we may get calls before April 15th

Did anybody receive merit scholarship today? This website lists a number of merit scholarships, and I'm wondering if they were already announced. Holding out hope they were not...

How you gonna give $32K in scholarships and somehow still have $60K+ in loans per year?

Apparently EFC is “47% of net parental income.” After being independent all of undergrad, this is shocking to me. Parents make enough to do well for themselves but not enough to contribute, dang.

Happy with the scholly, just blown away by the loan volume after scholly still.

A current student said we may get calls before April 15th
I also got $32K in need-based scholarship and I don’t even have a father’s income. My mom’s budget is tight w/ her own student loans so her expected contribution is probably a phone call when I’m stress-crying.

I wonder if they gave that amount to everyone? I honestly expected to get just the average scholarship amount on their aid handout lol I’m thankful but also a bit blown away by the loan amount

I also got $32K in need-based scholarship and I don’t even have a father’s income. My mom’s budget is tight w/ her own student loans so her expected contribution is probably a phone call when I’m stress-crying.

I wonder if they gave that amount to everyone? I honestly expected to get just the average scholarship amount on their aid handout lol I’m thankful but also a bit blown away by the loan amount
Keep in mind, you also need to add the expected family contribution as loans if you intend on taking them out. The current displayed scholarship plus loans is just tuition and fees and Health Insurance.

My parental contribution will be about the same amount. Apparently the federal formula for this kind of thing is that parents will contribute up to 47% of their net income, which is just outrageous. Well, it’s outrageous for those who have enough income to know or qualify for much need-based aid, but not enough income to actually afford it. 32,000 is a lot of need-based aid and I am not complaining about that amount. I’m complaining that it doesn’t match the numbers for average graduate indebtedness and their pamphlet lol and I recognize there are people who are far far needier than I am. So again, not complaining… Hoping for those scholarships to be announced in the next couple weeks.

Keep in mind, you also need to add the expected family contribution as loans if you intend on taking them out. The current displayed scholarship plus loans is just tuition and fees and Health Insurance.

My parental contribution will be about the same amount. Apparently the federal formula for this kind of thing is that parents will contribute up to 47% of their net income, which is just outrageous. Well, it’s outrageous for those who have enough income to know or qualify for much need-based aid, but not enough income to actually afford it. 32,000 is a lot of need-based aid and I am not complaining about that amount. I’m complaining that it doesn’t match the numbers for average graduate indebtedness and their pamphlet lol and I recognize there are people who are far far needier than I am. So again, not complaining… Hoping for those scholarships to be announced in the next couple weeks.
Yes, I agree with you! I am thankful, but I just feel their pamphlet gave me different expectations.

Edited- maybe I shouldn’t say too much about my own family/efc lol.

Last edited:
Has everyone that been accepted, gotten a financial aid package?

Welp......this was my final program to withdraw from.......hope y'all enjoy it. I loved Providence and the program when I visited. Cute little program in an excellent area, struggled until literally 5 minutes ago to let it go........

• Care
  • Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know (from previous years) when we can expect to start hearing about waitlist movement for the 2021-22 cycle from Alpert Med at Brown? Assuming a lot of people who do not want to attend Brown would still be dropping acceptances today (May 2, 2022)?

Does anyone know (from previous years) when we can expect to start hearing about waitlist movement for the 2021-22 cycle from Alpert Med at Brown? Assuming a lot of people who do not want to attend Brown would still be dropping acceptances today (May 2, 2022)?
Should start later this week!

Anyone else get off the waitlist or hear of any movement?

• Sad
I noticed a ~30 member increase in the FB group yesterday, does anyone know if these are all from the waitlist?

I’m especially curious because there’s only been one reporting of waitlist movement on here (congrats @TheBrownReaper !!), so I’m not sure if that increase is due to waitlist acceptances

Reactions: 1 users
I’m especially curious because there’s only been one reporting of waitlist movement on here (congrats @TheBrownReaper !!), so I’m not sure if that increase is due to waitlist acceptances
Was there really no other weightless movement before May other than my acceptance back in March?

Either no one is posting on here or they are taking a really long time.... :(

My suspicion is that SDN is just an inaccurate representation. The FB group currently has 206 members with previous years having around 240-250. Assuming that the number of faculty/alumni remain consistent year on year and have already joined, that means that there are likely in the realm of 30-40 spots left to fill. No doubt some of those are people who have been given an offer and haven't joined the group yet and some may choose another school and leave the group, but it gives you a rough picture of the state of admissions.

Also for those curious, it's unknowable exactly what the probability of acceptance is at this point since while we know the yield is roughly 55-60% (~70% admissions of ~370 II receive acceptances for 144 seats), we don't know how that varies from waitlist vs regular admissions. However, if you make the assumption that those numbers stay consistent, we would be looking at roughly 50% +/- 5% (50% of II go to WL according to admissions so (35 spots / 0.55 yield rate) / (185 - 36 (recently admitted according to FB page) / 0.55 yield rate)).

Note: the fb group is also an inaccurate picture as well, but it's all we have to go off of :(

My suspicion is that SDN is just an inaccurate representation. The FB group currently has 206 members with previous years having around 240-250. Assuming that the number of faculty/alumni remain consistent year on year and have already joined, that means that there are likely in the realm of 30-40 spots left to fill. No doubt some of those are people who have been given an offer and haven't joined the group yet and some may choose another school and leave the group, but it gives you a rough picture of the state of admissions.

Also for those curious, it's unknowable exactly what the probability of acceptance is at this point since while we know the yield is roughly 55-60% (~70% admissions of ~370 II receive acceptances for 144 seats), we don't know how that varies from waitlist vs regular admissions. However, if you make the assumption that those numbers stay consistent, we would be looking at roughly 50% +/- 5% (50% of II go to WL according to admissions so (35 spots / 0.55 yield rate) / (185 - 36 (recently admitted according to FB page) / 0.55 yield rate)).

Note: the fb group is also an inaccurate picture as well, but it's all we have to go off of :(
When I left the group on Sunday the FB group had 185. So there has definitely either been WL movement or the students are joining in order to advertise housing and sublets.

When I left the group on Sunday the FB group had 185. So there has definitely either been WL movement or the students are joining in order to advertise housing and sublets.
I think they all might also be PLME students that were just sent the group, based on the 2019/20 thread

What about the 2019/20 thread makes you say that?
I believe it was around this time in previous years that it was reported that PLME students were added to the FB group - someone had gone through each new member and confirmed it was a current student/ PLME student.

Ahh it was last year, that's good to know. Regardless, doesn't change how many spots would be left.

I believe it was around this time in previous years that it was reported that PLME students were added to the FB group - someone had gone through each new member and confirmed it was a current student/ PLME student.
Without spending a ton of time on it- from a quick look I can see that many of the people with “new member” next to their names also have Brown as their undergraduate and it seems likely they might be from PLME since all joined on the same day and all are students at Brown.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Are people who have been accepted off the waitlist just not posting here or there’s just not a lot of movement off the waitlist as of now? Any thoughts? Does anyone have any additional information?

Any current medical students who can post in their school forum asking for summer sublets? This would be from May 16th or after to July 17th. Thanks DM with the details. I am a medical student doing summer research at Brown. Mostly remote, but helps to be in the area.