2020-2021 Brown (Alpert)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Brown University

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard before they like non-trads, anybody confirm this? I'm nontrad from a top school (non-ivy) but stats are meh (LM ~68), trying to decide whether it's worth it to apply.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard before they like non-trads, anybody confirm this? I'm nontrad from a top school (non-ivy) but stats are meh (LM ~68), trying to decide whether it's worth it to apply.
On interview day they told us they prefer to admit non-trads through the AMCAS admissions pathway to balance out the class because they get a lot of traditional students through their BS/MD program.

But of course you never know for sure. Many apply and few get in. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On interview day they told us they prefer to admit non-trads through the AMCAS admissions pathway to balance out the class because they get a lot of traditional students through their BS/MD program.

But of course you never know for sure. Many apply and few get in. Good luck!

thanks!

Any info if brown is going to delay interviews? the website has no information on any changes so far.

Any info if brown is going to delay interviews? the website has no information on any changes so far.
According to MSAR, invites are first sent in August, and the interview season is mid-September through mid-February

Does anyone know if they pre-screen?

Friends received secondaries yesterday afternoon
OOS no ties to brown +2

- Enter Prereq classes

Prompts:
Summarize your activities during the 2020-2021 academic year. Describe how your activities are preparing you for a medical career. (2000 characters)

How will your unique attributes (e.g., cultural or socioeconomic background, lifestyle, work experiences) add to the overall diversity of the Alpert Medical School community? (2000 characters)

What are your aspirations for your medical practice? Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself? (3000 characters)

Same as last year.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@TheDataKing

Prompts:

If you believe that you have demonstrated competence in these disciplines in an alternate manner, please describe in the text box below that relevant coursework, individualized study, research, or employment. If you believe that you have fulfilled competency through a standardized examination such as Advanced Placement or the SAT II, please list the name, date and score of the exam(s) in the text box below that you wish to substitute in lieu of a premedical course (500 char)

NOTE: Interviews occur on Thursday’s and/or Friday’s beginning in mid-September and finishing in February. Please detail any significant limitations on your availability during this time, such as international travel, work or courses. You may use the text box below to explain your limited availability. (if none, leave blank) (500 char)

Summarize your activities during the 2020-2021 academic year. Describe how your activities are preparing you for a medical career. (2000 char)

How will your unique attributes (e.g., cultural or socioeconomic background, lifestyle, work experiences) add to the overall diversity of the Alpert Medical School community? (2000 char)

What are your aspirations for your medical practice? Fast-forward to 15 years in the future: where do you imagine yourself? (3000 char)

MD-ScM

Imagine that you are approached by a multibillionaire philanthropist who wants to donate a substantial fund of money to a single project with the goal of "fixing the US healthcare system." He/she asks for your expert opinion on what project this money should go towards; what would you advise and why? (2000 char)

Often when we talk about medicine, we focus on the individual physician-patient relationship. Why should medical schools train future physicians to care for communities and populations as a whole, and not just individual patients? (2000 char)

Last edited:
I've noticed different character counts for the "what are your aspirations for your medical practice" question .... can someone confirm if it's 2000 or 3000 characters? thanks! :)

I've noticed different character counts for the "what are your aspirations for your medical practice" question .... can someone confirm if it's 2000 or 3000 characters? thanks! :)

It's 3,000, typo! Sorry about that!

Are there are current students available to answer questions?

1. Can you describe the curriculum a bit more detail? What is the balance between PBL and lecture? How much is mandatory attendance on a weekly basis? How are exams handled?

2. Can you give some insight into Providence? How close do most students live? Could you live easily in suburbs?

3. What is the vibe around research? Is there competition? Do a lot of students do research?

4. Any thoughts about the facilities, both preclinical and clinical?

Brown asks for AP scores and dates if you're using AP credits, but I literally don't remember or have access to my collegeboard portal anymore. Do I just guess? Lol
as long as you still know what email was used and are able to answer whatever security question you set back then you should be able to log on. that's what I did

what a weird cutoff by the CB. well I'm sure plenty of people/are have been in the same boat so it shouldn't put you at a disadvantage

I hope so! Thanks for the reassurance. also my school used the credit system not hours. is that basically the same thing?
basically the same things, at least as far as i am aware. i just provided credits (which are supposed to correspond to semester hours)

• Love
I don’t think they’re going by last name. If that was the case my friend would have gotten it later (last name near end)

Anyone know the best acronym to use for Brown when referencing in an essay? WAMS?

Does anyone have an idea of how to answer the third prompt about where we see ourselves in 15 years? I don't really know what specialty I want to go into yet so I have no idea where I will be in 15 years....

Does anyone have an idea of how to answer the third prompt about where we see ourselves in 15 years? I don't really know what specialty I want to go into yet so I have no idea where I will be in 15 years....

Do you want to do private practice? Community health? Academic Medicine? Do you want to be involved in research, or public policy making? I think you can make it about the kind of practice you're most interested in and don't necessarily need to talk about a particular specialty

Reactions: 2 users
How long does has it taken for you guys for the second email to come in for the secondary? I only got the first one with my username, and that was 2 days ago..

How long does has it taken for you guys for the second email to come in for the secondary? I only got the first one with my username, and that was 2 days ago..

My second one was sent to spam. It came right after the first one.

Did people incorporate a Why Brown type response into the "where will you see yourself in 15 years?" I am having trouble fleshing out this prompt since my goals are relatively broad at the moment.

Reactions: 1 users
Did people incorporate a Why Brown type response into the "where will you see yourself in 15 years?" I am having trouble fleshing out this prompt since my goals are relatively broad at the moment.

I didn’t.

Reactions: 4 users

I did

Hi Guys, do you know the frequency of secondaries or if there is a prescreening before hand for Brown?

For the premed competency tab, should I use the AMCAS converted semester hours? My school goes by the quarter system.