Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do any current 3rd years have info on the rotation sites and overall experience for rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any way to check the status of your application or do you just have to wait for them to email you?

Members don't see this ad :)
II just now. Complete 8/5.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm giving up my II at this amazing school. Hope one of y'all will be able to get it. Good luck everyone!

Aacomas will send it right away. According to what I've been seeing with other schools, DMU should read it. You might have to update them thought. If I were you, I'd check the website or call/email admissions office

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thinking of submitting a secondary to this school very soon (next couple days) but am unsure if it is worth the fee with my stats.
MCAT: 25 (no section lower than a 7)
cGPA: 3.66 / sGPA: 3.57
Tons of shadowing (MD & DO), volunteer work, community work, health care jobs (CNA previously, ER scribe now).
LOR from science professors, one from MD, one from DO
I'm very interested in DMU-COM but I don't know if I'm competitive enough.
Been accepted to ACOM and have 2 more interviews.
What do you guys think?

Thinking of submitting a secondary to this school very soon (next couple days) but am unsure if it is worth the fee with my stats.
Tons of shadowing (MD & DO), volunteer work, community work, health care jobs (CNA previously, ER scribe now).
What do you guys think?
Your GPAs aren't too far off average, but your MCAT may be a little uphill batte. I believe c/o 2019 average was a 29.3. That being said, if you have the cash and you are interested in the school I highly recommend you throw it in!

Your GPAs aren't too far off average, but your MCAT may be a little uphill batte. I believe c/o 2019 average was a 29.3. That being said, if you have the cash and you are interested in the school I highly recommend you throw it in!

Yeah the MCAT is what I have concerns on. Eh, I might as well try. There's no harm in receiving a rejection.

The stats are online for our class, and the average gpa is 3.65 and 3.61 and it turns out that the average MCAT is 28.8. Ah, 28.8 so it appears that the student has a slightly better chance than your original projection.

PS I pretended to say that in Dr. Schmidt's voice.

Last edited:
What do you guys think?
I got in with a MCAT 26 and 3.82 GPA.

I just received an interview invite way past the 60 day mark (around ~70 days). For everyone who has been waiting, don't give up hope!
I was complete 8/17, so I'm currently 60+ days, too.

If you have a committee letter, do I just put the 1 author for the letter packet or should I put in the individual's info for the secondary?
My letter packet also has an MD's LOR in it as well.

Put committee letter author and MD's letter or just committee letter?
Thanks!

If you have a committee letter, do I just put the 1 author for the letter packet or should I put in the individual's info for the secondary?
My letter packet also has an MD's LOR in it as well.

Put committee letter author and MD's letter or just committee letter?
Thanks!
Not that this is necessarily "right", but I have a committee letter + packet that was sent together (with the physician letter in it). I listed them separately so it was clear I had the physician letter. It seemed to work fine at DMU.

(YMMV for other schools. I've had to call a few to clear up where the physician letter was.)

Not that this is necessarily "right", but I have a committee letter + packet that was sent together (with the physician letter in it). I listed them separately so it was clear I had the physician letter. It seemed to work fine at DMU.

(YMMV for other schools. I've had to call a few to clear up where the physician letter was.)
Thanks for the reply/tip. Just called and they said that since it is not a required field, we can put 1 author or other authors.
They will verify the LORs anyway once they receive them.

How long does it take interview to interview decision?
Its been almost 3 weeks and its driving me crazy to not know

How long does it take interview to interview decision?
Its been almost 3 weeks and its driving me crazy to not know
I think I must have interviewed the same day as you. I would really like to know too so that, if I get in, I don't have to drive 12 hours each way this weekend to my next interview.

I think I must have interviewed the same day as you. I would really like to know too so that, if I get in, I don't have to drive 12 hours each way this weekend to my next interview.
Speak of the devil, you should expect to hear something soon. Accepted here today!

Just got the acceptance. Smiling so much

Reactions: 3 users
Oh good lord, I interviewed three weeks ago... The day is still young, but I am freaking out staring at my phone.

Waitlisted. Pretty devastated. This was my top choice.

Accepted today. Interviewed 10/8. LizzyM 74.5. Instate Applicant (not that it matters)

Interviewed on October 8th. I got accepted today, October 20th. Had a great experience when I visited the school, loved the faculty and facilities!

Reactions: 2 users
Also waitlisted, such a lovely school :( But better than a rejection! I have more interviews, you guys probably have more as well. We will prevail.:woot:

Also waitlisted, such a lovely school :( But better than a rejection! I have more interviews, you guys probably have more as well. We will prevail.:woot:
No kidding! Waitlisted yesterday, but II today from another school. The cycle moves on...

I got an II today, complete 8/13. Today marks 70 days, have hope!

Interviewing 11/20.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I was sent a rejection e-mail this morning after 67 days of waiting. No worries though, since I have an acceptance elsewhere(phew). Good luck to everyone!

My stats:
3.39 cGPA
3.19 sGPA
27 MCAT (7/9/11)
Excellent ECs (multiple leadership positions), LORs, Volunteer hours (1,000+), and Work Experience Hours (15,000+)

I was waitlisted for an II earlier this cycle and they emailed me an update today. Update: My application is still on hold for II....

Hey guys, I have an II for 10/30 and was wondering if there are any current students or current student who can host me for 2 nights?

Last edited:
Interviewing 11/6. What's the best place to eat in Des Moines?

Interviewing 11/6. What's the best place to eat in Des Moines?
Zombie Burger is pretty good if your looking for good drinks and a unique menu.

Zombie Burger is pretty good if your looking for good drinks and a unique menu.
That deep fried macaroni bun. :eek:

Many of us like Palmers Deli (sandwiches)/Eatery A if you're looking for something within walking distance to campus.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted by email after interviewing 10/1 :happy: Really loved the campus, curriculum, and all the students I met during the interview

Reactions: 3 users