Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Going to join in on this thread. II today, (Complete 10/13), super excited to go. Scheduled for 11/12 (I could have gone this week as there were openings... but I felt $1,100 for a flight was a little over the top.) :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

whats the percentage of interviewees that get accepted post interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
II here next month, will be my first time in Des Moines. Submitted in September. Very excited, have heard only good things about the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's probably what did it. Good luck in FL, I have a friend who goes there who loves the place!

Did you get into DMU? Do you still think I have an okay chance at an interview? I'm really excited about Bradenton. I almost hope I don't have to choose between the two programs!

Super pumped to be interviewing here! Too bad flights are such a pain to get from the West Coast.

II earlier today! Completed 8/17.

Reactions: 1 user
I was put on a pre-interview hold a while ago, and haven't heard any news yet. How often do they revisit files? Does sending in letters of interest make any difference? This is one of my top choices and I really would like an opportunity to interview

I'm super excited that I've been accepted to DMU (one of my top choices)!:soexcited:I just have a few questions for current students:

1. Are there going to be any changes to the curriculum for the class of 2020? I've heard somewhere on this forum and wanted to confirm lol

2. How much dedicated board-prep time do students get for boards during their second year?

3. Suggestions for cheap places/good to live at Des Moines? :)

I'm super excited that I've been accepted to DMU (one of my top choices)!:soexcited:I just have a few questions for current students:

1. Are there going to be any changes to the curriculum for the class of 2020? I've heard somewhere on this forum and wanted to confirm lol

2. How much dedicated board-prep time do students get for boards during their second year?

3. Suggestions for cheap places/good to live at Des Moines? :)
I have not heard of anything regarding curriculum changes. If anything, changes tend to be gradual. 2nd years have told us our schedule is laid out better. I am happy with the amount of time we have between exams.

From what I understand, most 2nd years dedicate 1-2 months to study for boards the summer after 2nd year. A number of them that I have talked with started their board prep already during the school year. How many hours/day they spend I'm unsure. Maybe one can chime in here.

You can live relatively cheap close to campus. Some of my classmates are paying ~$600/mo across the street from school and others ~$400 split between roommate(s). Imperial apartments, Windsor Terrace, and Grand Prix are directly across the street, to name a few. 3000 Grand is the nicest place within a minute walk to campus.

Here is a list of housing in the area to get you started.

Last edited:
I have not heard of anything regarding curriculum changes. If anything, changes tend to be gradual. 2nd years have told us our schedule is laid out better. I am happy with the amount of time we have between exams.

From what I understand, most 2nd years dedicate 1-2 months to study for boards the summer after 2nd year. A number of them that I have talked with started their board prep already during the school year. How many hours/day they spend I'm unsure. Maybe one can chime in here.

You can live relatively cheap close to campus. Some of my classmates are paying ~$600/mo across the street from school and others ~$400 split between roommate(s). Imperial apartments, Windsor Terrace, and Grand Prix are directly across the street, to name a few. 3000 Grand is the nicest place within a minute walk to campus.

Here is a list of housing in the area to get you started.

Does the 2nd year end earlier than 1st year (so students have extra time to study boards)?

Hey everyone! Really bummed, got the email today stating that I was not able to get invited for an interview. Anyways, wish you all the best! My friend goes to DMU right now and loves it.

I'm super excited that I've been accepted to DMU (one of my top choices)!:soexcited:
Congratulations on your acceptance! :) Would you mind sharing when you interviewed and when you heard back? Thank you!

Does the 2nd year end earlier than 1st year (so students have extra time to study boards)?

I'm a 2nd year student. Last year we (1st years) had our final exam on May 26. If I remember correctly, the 2nd years had their last exam around May 12/13. And when we were taking our last exam of the year, 2nd years were just about to take the COMSAE. And most people I talked to were taking the COMLEX/USMLE at the end of June or beginning of July. So that's about a 1.5-2 month break between the end of classes and taking the boards for most people.

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations on your acceptance! :) Would you mind sharing when you interviewed and when you heard back? Thank you!
I interviewed in the middle/late August and heard back in a little more than 2 weeks (2 weeks and 1 day to be exact)!

My primary application was very recently verified (10/29). I understand that we are already quite into the cycle, but how long should I expect until DMU sends me their secondary? I've begun to receive from CCOM and NYCOM so I'm guessing soonish?

interviewed today and loved the vibe the students gave off. Everyone seemed genuinely happy with DMU. Although it didn't feel like a campus from the outside, it certainly did from the inside. The school did not seem the second oldest DO school in the country, it felt new!!

Haha is it possible to live near the school and be able to survive without a car for the first two years or would it be too inconvenient?

Haha is it possible to live near the school and be able to survive without a car for the first two years or would it be too inconvenient?
I've got classmates without cars. You will have plenty of classmates with cars that won't mind taking you along to stores. There is also a grocery store and Walgreens within walking distance among others.

Any recommendations for food/drinks while in Des Moines for interview? Excited to visit the city!

Zombie burger or fongs pizza

Do they typically take more than 2 weeks to get back to you after you've interviewed?

Hey everyone! Really bummed, got the email today stating that I was not able to get invited for an interview. Anyways, wish you all the best! My friend goes to DMU right now and loves it.
Ahh, same. I just got that email this morning. Good luck :)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Withdrew my II yesterday. Good luck to everyone!

Hands down best interview I've had so far! All the students were great, each presenter gave us interview tips and got me even more excited about the school, and my interviewers were so chill.

What an awesome place! I would be over the moon if DMU accepts me. It was towards the top of my list pre-interview and is the absolute top of my list post-interview. These next few weeks of waiting are going to be so hard!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone! What is the current turnaround time from interview to decision? I somehow missed this on the interview day, but can you blame me? Got caught up looking at everything, what a great school!

Hey everyone! What is the current turnaround time from interview to decision? I somehow missed this on the interview day, but can you blame me? Got caught up looking at everything, what a great school!
Mine was exactly two weeks