Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted as well :) interviewed on 11/20.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
I submitted my app to DMU last month and was wondering why I still haven't received a secondary. Turns out it's been sitting in my email since 11/10 :( submitted just now and hoping for the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just paid my seat deposit! Glad to pick this school (and have it as an option!)
DMU Class of 2020!

Reactions: 7 users
Gave up my seat today. Hopefully it goes to one of y'all. Really enjoyed my interview at DMU!

Reactions: 1 users
Reserved my seat! Very excited to meet you guys this fall :biglove:

Reactions: 1 users
I have an interview on Friday, and I haven't received any email recently with info on where to park, meet and such. Will I be getting an email...or do I have to figure out on my own where to go and all?

I have an interview on Friday, and I haven't received any email recently with info on where to park, meet and such. Will I be getting an email...or do I have to figure out on my own where to go and all?
I received an email explaining where to go. If you don't you can probably email admissions - they have always been very helpful.

Just FYI here is what they sent us "The interview day is scheduled to start at 8:30 a.m. in the Admissions Office, which is located on the first floor of our Student Education Center. When you arrive on campus, feel free to park in any of the University lots or on the second or third level of the parking ramp. All parking is free; we do ask you to avoid designated reserved parking spaces."

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email explaining where to go. If you don't you can probably email admissions - they have always been very helpful.

Just FYI here is what they sent us "The interview day is scheduled to start at 8:30 a.m. in the Admissions Office, which is located on the first floor of our Student Education Center. When you arrive on campus, feel free to park in any of the University lots or on the second or third level of the parking ramp. All parking is free; we do ask you to avoid designated reserved parking spaces."

Thank you :)

Wondering if anyone create an Facebook page for class of 2020!!!

How long does it normally take to hear back from DMU regarding an admissions decision? Trying to figure out the timeline with the holidays.

I interviewed here at 12/11. Anyone hear back from admissions since then?

Hi, I'm debating between two schools right now, does anyone know if DMU ranks students and what their grading scale is like?
70% or higher is passing for most classes. 80% is passing in clinical medicine. You don't actually know your class rank, but you know which quartile you are in.

Hi, I'm debating between two schools right now, does anyone know if DMU ranks students and what their grading scale is like?

It's A/B/C/F with +-

Accepted today via email. Interviewed on 12/11. Will be attending this school!

Reactions: 5 users
Just a general question... if DMU students get assigned to a 3rd/4th year rotation site outside of Des Moines, what do they do for housing? My guess is people don't sign leases for six weeks (or however long the rotation is). Perhaps a current student could weigh in? Thanks!

Well usually they are assigned to a site outside of Des Moines for a full year and their rotations are done at a single place. So they just move and get a new lease. If you do non-yearlong Iowa, most of the stuff is around Des Moines but you may have some out rotations. Some sites have free housing, some sites put you up in housing for cheap (apartment on the hospital campus for $500) and some sites you can stay with the doc you are working with. It all depends on the site. I would say most provide housing (in my experience). And that is with DMU based rotations. If you do audition rotations, the housing is all on you, but that is similar to every school.

Some audition sites pay for housing, even meals if you are a 4th year applying for their program. Not all sites outside DM provide housing, however.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

.... nearing the end of my 60 days .... :/

anyone hear good news around/ after this time?

II this evening! Scheduled for 1/21

Complete 10/29, 3.3/33, OOS

Congrats!

I was complete on 11/9. Hoping to hear some good news soon...

Last edited:
Interviewed on 12/18, anyone hear anything back yet from that day? I know they said beginning of January, what is the "beginning of January"?

Interviewed on 12/18, anyone hear anything back yet from that day? I know they said beginning of January, what is the "beginning of January"?

You'll probably hear back tomorrow. They usually take three weeks to the date.

I interviewed 12/17 and have yet to hear anything. It's been a long week refreshing my email inbox! Giving them a little grace with the holidays.

confirmed my seat last month. pretty bummed to hear about dean polk leaving as that was a big reason for confirming my acceptance.
also--is it possible at DMU to do rotations for 3rd/4th year in california?

confirmed my seat last month. pretty bummed to hear about dean polk leaving as that was a big reason for confirming my acceptance.
also--is it possible at DMU to do rotations for 3rd/4th year in california?

This makes me hesitant too. I'm also friends with a 4th year who mentioned that during her time there, another Dean also left (at least, this was how I understood it) and a lot of good professors left when that Dean left. Incidentally, those professors went to Marian, and I'm deciding between Marian and DMU...

is it possible at DMU to do rotations for 3rd/4th year in california?

for 3rd year, you can do "non year-long iowa" as a rotation which basically is filling in around iowa wherever they have spots. This sounds weird on the surface, but i did it and loved it. The good thing about that is it allows you to go wherever you want for a couple rotations if you can get it set up. it is kind of in depth with a few rules i won't go into, but in short, it is the only 3rd year site that lets you go where you want for any rotation.

4th year is a completely different story. 4th year is set up so you can do whatever you want, whenever you want, wherever you want. You can schedule the 2 required rotations any time you want in the year, you can audition anywhere you want, and if your audition sites have weird rotation dates, you don't have to follow a set structure. i think this is one of DMUs biggest pros.

This makes me hesitant too. I'm also friends with a 4th year who mentioned that during her time there, another Dean also left (at least, this was how I understood it) and a lot of good professors left when that Dean left. Incidentally, those professors went to Marian, and I'm deciding between Marian and DMU...

so before we started (I am a 4th year now), the dean was let go. Don't know the specifics but this caused the professors to leave. that is a negative, but there are two sides to every story. some of the professors are good and were replaced by medium new people, but some where medium and were replaced by excellent new people. in my opinion, i generally love the new people. and everyone is different. one of the professors that left had a reputation of "being one of the best professors DMU had" and their teaching style was just not in line with my learning style and i hated them.

I just submitted my deposit here and I'm so happy! I never got this feeling from undergrad, certainly didn't expect to get it from a medical school!