DMU Osteopathic medicine class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nYellow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm a first time poster and I saw that nobody has made this thread yet. Just got my acceptance and I'm absolutely positive that DMU is the school for me!!! What a great place! I've done a ton of interviews and got accepted to all of them but DMU was so much better. If you've gotten accepted or have questions about being accepted, please post.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I'm a first time poster and I saw that nobody has made this thread yet. Just got my acceptance and I'm absolutely positive that DMU is the school for me!!! What a great place! I've done a ton of interviews and got accepted to all of them but DMU was so much better. If you've gotten accepted or have questions about being accepted, please post.:laugh:

I got accepted here too. So tempted to be a fellow 2018er

I got accepted and feel the same way about this school. I think I am near 70% certain I will be going here next year

Members don't see this ad :)
is there a facebook group yet?

Hey guys, I have an interview coming up but had a quick question and would appreciate any feedback, even if it is concise. What were the main reasons you are picking DMU over other colleges you were offered acceptance at?

Hey guys, I have an interview coming up but had a quick question and would appreciate any feedback, even if it is concise. What were the main reasons you are picking DMU over other colleges you were offered acceptance at?

I actually have the same question. I'm between azcom,western comp, and dmu.

So I was curious to hear from everyone else why dmu?

I got accepted here too. So tempted to be a fellow 2018er
I feel exactly the same way! I feel like I am about 85% sure we will be matriculating here, its super exciting!

I'm same as you guys. I was tempted here over ccom because of cost (I felt a great sense of community from both) but I was creeping on last years thread earlier and just reached the potential troll talkin about how horrible 3'rd and 4'th year is there. Wondering if anyone can shed any light because besides that DMU looks amazing and partly because of how much every student I meet loves it but I realize now they were all first and seconds.

I remember that post and I think you are right in assuming it's a troll. I didnt meet any 3rd or 4th years when I interviewed but I stayed with a 2nd year and he knew many people in the class above him and said they love their rotations. They got their first pick of rotation (which to be fair I know not everyone gets, but from what they told us most do while a few get 2nd and very few get 3rd) and stayed in Des Moines.
Actually now that I think of it we did talk with the OMM fellows. They were back after their fourth year rotations and they both said they loved them. So I think we're going to be just fine.

Ah thanks sterling. I think I now remember seeing you in that forum too. That's a great point now that I think of it the OMM fellows were super excited and energetic. That whole series last year was very suspicious so I was skeptical from the get-go so glad to see I'm not alone. Still have to interview at my state school but that's the only one I would consider over DMU at this point so I'm super excited! Everyone was so amazing there and as bad as everyone makes Biochem out to be, I feel good about having Dr Wilson as a professor. He was awesome, loved interviewing with him.

Dude I am freakin' pumped about have Dr Polk be my potential dean. That guy totally rocked my socks off. He was a huge selling point on the school for me! You just get the feeling from him that he is going to ba a fighter in your corner when it comes time to participate in the match.

Sadly I never got to meet him, I forget why...I interviewed 9/13 and maybe he just wasn't around. Did he speak to your group?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah he did. I interviewed 9/21. He is very impressive. You can read his bio and it only tells you half of his awesomeness. He is even better meeting in person because he is so personable. So I'd say if you haven't met him yet and you are on the line about the school he is definitely a reason to cross the line, at least he was for me.

Can you guys give me a run down of the interview day and maybe some interview questions to prepare for?

Maybe this should be put in Osteo...

I actually had no idea how prestigious and good the school was until I visited it. Great dean, very safe environment with lots to do. I have a family coming with me so that was a huge thing that I was looking for. The test results are among the highest in the Nation and they have a93% pass rate for the M.D. test for those who want to try for an md residency. 3rd and 4th year gave easy placement for rotations. The bad side is the weather-it will be very very cold. hope that helps

They give you a tour until they give you the classic 40 minute interview with two professors. They asked me why dmu and what were weaknesses, etc. One thing that I appreciate was that they had about two pages of notes that they had taken on my application, full of very specific questions. Remember that you shouldn't just repeat your application but should instead strive to have them like you as a person. If I remember right, they only interview about 500 people and keep 200 so if you go to interview, you've got a pretty good shot

They give you a tour until they give you the classic 40 minute interview with two professors. They asked me why dmu and what were weaknesses, etc. One thing that I appreciate was that they had about two pages of notes that they had taken on my application, full of very specific questions. Remember that you shouldn't just repeat your application but should instead strive to have them like you as a person. If I remember right, they only interview about 500 people and keep 200 so if you go to interview, you've got a pretty good shot

I'm pretty sure those numbers are pretty much correct. Also remember that schools will over accept because not everyone who is accepted will matriculate, so your chances are even higher.

Congrats to all of those who were accepted!!! YOU MADE IT!! I'm a first year at DMU and wanted to let you know to join your DO-18 FACEBOOK group! Some first/second years will be in the group to answer a lot of your specific questions. A lot of us current students don't read SDN anymore. But we like to procrastinate a little on Facebook. I give tours and also a student ambassador for all you candidates. So far, the interview groups have been great and you all are very very impressive students. Can't wait to meet all of you next year at DMU! The current 2nd years have been so helpful to our class and we would like to pay it forward to you guys as well! So you will hear a lot from us! :)

Congrats to all of those who were accepted!!! YOU MADE IT!! I'm a first year at DMU and wanted to let you know to join your DO-18 FACEBOOK group! Some first/second years will be in the group to answer a lot of your specific questions. A lot of us current students don't read SDN anymore. But we like to procrastinate a little on Facebook. I give tours and also a student ambassador for all you candidates. So far, the interview groups have been great and you all are very very impressive students. Can't wait to meet all of you next year at DMU! The current 2nd years have been so helpful to our class and we would like to pay it forward to you guys as well! So you will hear a lot from us! :)

+1 :thumbup:

Hey guys, guess what... WE"RE GOING TO BE DOCTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :cool: :naughty: :eek: :cool: :naughty:

Hey guys, guess what... WE"RE GOING TO BE DOCTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :cool: :naughty: :eek: :cool: :naughty:

Haha, it's posts like these that just tell me I'm going to end up at this fantastic place! :)

haha well aren't we a lil chippy today

Hope to be a classmate here!!! Still on the "hold to interview" list but will have a better MCAT score in January and hope there will still be interview spots and seats!!! This is the ONLY school I want to attend!!!

Accepted! But I don't have a facebook :( however, I'll be looking for a roommate during Second Look Day so if you're going, hit me up!

I need to reactivate mine to join. I'll definitely be looking for a roommate as well!

Reactions: 1 user
To all of you's first and second years that are currently enrolled in DMU, I have an interview on Jan the 9th, and was hoping to stay with a current student. I think it would be great to get a feel of the vibes Des Moines offers before the interview, and also be able to get a little bit of an inside scoop from a current student.

Personal message me if you think you could host me for a night or have any questions.

Also for those current students, what do you feel DMU prides itself on? Where does DMU invest most of its time in? For instance, research? OMM? Early clinical exposure? Etc...I'm pumped for this interview and wanna kill it!

Appreciate any help!!

I will likely be going to DMU for second look day. Need to find roommates and housing. I was looking at houses for rent and they would be relatively cheap if split between two-three people. I am from New York, this whole moving away to school is new to me. If anyone is interested in bonding early before school starts, PM me haha.

Hi! Got accepted to DMU a month ago! just put in my deposit! Any one else thinking about coming from California!?

HI all, I was supposed to interview today, but all flights from my city to all the connection hubs (atlanta, denver, dallas) were either cancelled or all booked up. So I had to reschedule the interview for two weeks from now. I love this school and would love to go there. Being the semi-neurotic person that I am, that little weasel in the back of my mind is trying to convince me that rescheduling it right before the date (what could i do?? i was at the airport ready to go when they announced all the cancellations) and thus seeing so many qualified applicants before i get to speak on my behalf. sigh. a lil depressed/anxious, but i guess that's expected. How late exactly is it to interview in Mid-Feb? Judging from previous posts, it seems like the class is filling up quite nicely. anyone know anything?

HI all, I was supposed to interview today, but all flights from my city to all the connection hubs (atlanta, denver, dallas) were either cancelled or all booked up. So I had to reschedule the interview for two weeks from now. I love this school and would love to go there. Being the semi-neurotic person that I am, that little weasel in the back of my mind is trying to convince me that rescheduling it right before the date (what could i do?? i was at the airport ready to go when they announced all the cancellations) and thus seeing so many qualified applicants before i get to speak on my behalf. sigh. a lil depressed/anxious, but i guess that's expected. How late exactly is it to interview in Mid-Feb? Judging from previous posts, it seems like the class is filling up quite nicely. anyone know anything?

I have a buddy who interviewed early March 2013 and got in. Honestly, from my experience, the interview plays a huge role in your admissions process, period. Regardless of when you interview. They seem to be pretty intentional about leaving spots available for qualified applicants who interview later in the cycle. Obviously, I don't work in admissions, but worrying won't help you at this point. Relax! Do your best! Be yourself, and if you're a good fit for DMU, the admissions team will notice! but if you want more info, i'd call the office. They've been pretty transparent and honest about their admissions process. Good luck!

Hope to see some of you guys at second look day this week!!!

I hope not, I already have one. I think we get laptops

Lol great. I'm opposite to you. I just bought a laptop....

Shoot haha. Well its gonna suck for one of us.

Hopefully they will tell us this weekend

I'll speak for our class. We were 'given' laptops and recommended to buy iPads through the school. It wasn't exactly a significant deal, so I bought a mini on my own. I've really only used it for one course so far, but plenty of people find utility in it beyond that. I, shamefully, reverted to my old person ways and primarily turn printed notes in to pages ripe with colorful highlighting. :whistle: