Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations! I just got the email as well and I am ACCEPTED! Interviewed on Sept 4th and fell in love with the school!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
This may be a silly question, but did you guys use all 2500 characters for all three of the questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope...use what it takes to answer the essay questions. Could be 2500 or could be less.

Accepted!!!!!!! :D AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Does anyone know if they do reviews of everyone from the 4th at the same time? Do they send emails out in waves? I interviewed also on the 4th and am checking my email like mad. No news yet. FINGERS CROSSED

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if they do reviews of everyone from the 4th at the same time? Do they send emails out in waves? I interviewed also on the 4th and am checking my email like mad. No news yet. FINGERS CROSSED

I was in the 1 pm group.

3:15 also. Nothing yet. But they're closed now so maybe we will hear news tomorrow.
I can't believe how fast those acceptances came...I thought it would be at least another week. I also heard that last year it was 615 or so interview invites and 579 or so accepted. But right around the same numbers as were stated earlier. I am SO HOPING to get in here. Such a cool school, loved everything about it. Hopefully we hear something soon.

Does this school send an email when all required secondary materials are in?

I was in the 2:45pm interview group so I assume you guys will be next! Fingers crossed!

I was in the last wave as well. +pity+Congrats to all with the acceptances!:claps:

How long do they give y'all to put a deposit in?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How long do they give y'all to put a deposit in?

I haven't gotten the subsequent emails/letters that's supposed to provide more information. The email was just a "congrats" email and said to expect info to come in the next few days. AACOMAS reports that any acceptance prior to November 14 is supposed to have until December 14 to decide but I'm not sure how well that's followed lol.

FWIW, one of the med student ambassadors at my interview said that KCUMB interviewed ~600 people last year and accepted 554.

Really? Find that hard to believe... but maybe KCUMB isn't 1st choice for a lot of people ?

Weird.

Does KCUMB have any rural medicine emphasis? Anyone know of the rural clinical sites?

Just got done interviewing at KCUMB! Admissions staff was so welcoming and down to earth. The new dean is funny but definitely intense. He comes from TexasCOM and RVUCOM and at each school sent board scores to number one and now he's doing the same thing here. He is absolutely passionate about making sure he creates the best physicians he can.

The only confusing part is that the students who gave us the tour are still in the phased out curriculum while the new first years are in the new curriculum so many of them can't really speak for the change in a 1st person perspective. The interview itself was relaxed and calm. They tried to make it casual but still professional which is perfect for "making sure there are no weirdos here" as the dean said to us.

There's not enough words to describe how awesome this school is. On top of outstanding electives, rotations, and matches, they have such a strong sense of community. You can tell the students work hard but love the environment. Even when we left interview day we had students asking us how we did even though we never met them. That is truly a "family" feel.

Lastly, Kansas City itself is truly a large city with a small town feel. There's a lot to do here.

I clicked immediately with the students, faculty, and administration. Top choice without a doubt. PM me, @Awesome Sauceome, or @yogaGirl323 if you guys have any more questions about interview day!

Reactions: 4 users
I was verified on the 10th. How long should I wait to get a secondary?

What about secondary to complete and complete to ii? KCUMB seems to go fast...

Turnaround for II decisions seem to be much faster yes. It all spends on the time though, perhaps now it's a few weeks as well. You should call and ask!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Hi guys! First year here. I know you don't get to ask us first years many questions during your interviews, so I wanted to reach out and let you know that I'm available to answer any questions you may have. Rumor has it that they wanted us to take part in your interview days but didn't have time to train us, which tells you something about the new curriculum: it's INTENSE and we're really busy. Be patient if my answers to your questions are delayed (we just started musculoskeletal), but I'll do my best to get back to you.

Someone else told me during the day of the interview different stats:

4000 applied
1000 received secondaries
600 interviewed
550 accepted

All round figures :)

I happened don't have those numbers on hand; but do anybody have any idea how large was that class? I assume 150 to 200 max. Does it mean the school adm factor in only about 2 out of 5 attending the class?

So, what happen if they are wrong and more the 200 or so plan to attend? Even say 300 :)
Edit: Does it mean school adm assume at least 3 of 5 who got acceptance eventually drop out? There are not as many DO schools as MD side, so the dropout rate should not be that large, doesn't it? Don't get me wrong, this is good news for all of us applying KCUMB. I am just curious. I wish someone inside/adm can give us some legit comment.

Last edited:
I happened don't have those numbers on hand; but do anybody have any idea how large was that class? I assume 150 to 200 max. Does it mean the school adm factor in only about 2 out of 5 attending the class?

So, what happen if they are wrong and more the 200 or so plan to attend? Even say 300 :)

The class size was 270 last year according to my student ambassador.

my complete email said they'd review my file in 2 weeks. Today marks the 2 week deadline...if I don't hear anything is it okay to call tomorrow?

Really? Find that hard to believe... but maybe KCUMB isn't 1st choice for a lot of people ?

Weird.
I think the numbers add up. The class size is about 250 and most schools accept at least 2x the amount of people in the class, so ~550 acceptances makes sense.

I think the numbers add up. The class size is about 250 and most schools accept at least 2x the amount of people in the class, so ~550 acceptances makes sense.
Exactly, this is pretty normal. But since they do have such a large class size, it does seem wild to think roughly 600 people are accepted haha.

Here's the post from last year about acceptances:

...................................2011........ 2010.......... 2009
apps.......................... 3210...... 3108 ...........3109
Interview invites........ 766.......... 627.............. 828
interviews.................. 621......... 400............... 460
Accepted................... 478......... 356............... 423
pd matric fees............296 .........289................ 277

accepted/
interviews ..................77%......... 89% ..............92%

my complete email said they'd review my file in 2 weeks. Today marks the 2 week deadline...if I don't hear anything is it okay to call tomorrow?
how quickly did you receive a complete email after submitting?

So I too had my interview yesterday, I will second everything that @AlteredScale said. The school is really solid, from the facilities to the faculty and everything in between. It has a feel of a small college which is kind of nice if you are into that sort of thing. It is somewhere in between the stereotypical DO school which is basically a warehouse in the middle of a field, and a large MD school. It has a lot of buildings and a pretty campus but does not feel overwhelming. It is definitely in the middle of a busy part of town yet is not in the major part of downtown/center city - as the skyline of the city can be seen from campus. I did not experience even one ounce of elitism from a single student, faculty, or administrator, which is a massive plus for some.

Overall the experience was awesome, probably some of the nicest and most down to earth people I have ever met at a medical institution.

One concern that was brought up was the fact that they do have such a large class size. They easily have the facilities to manage that many students for the pre-clinical years (study spaces seem awesome and abundant) but the tour guide did express concern about the current batch of students on rotation sites. Our student guide said there is only roughly 100 spots in KC for students. So that indeed is something to think about. However, I truly do feel confident in the Dean. The guy seems ridiculously capable and experienced and I am sure that they have plans for any situation with rotations.

Reactions: 7 users
how quickly did you receive a complete email after submitting?

submitted secondary on 7/31, complete email 8/28 which said they'd review my app in 2 weeks which is today. Haven't heard anything yet.

Here's the post from last year about acceptances:

...................................2011........ 2010.......... 2009
apps.......................... 3210...... 3108 ...........3109
Interview invites........ 766.......... 627.............. 828
interviews.................. 621......... 400............... 460
Accepted................... 478......... 356............... 423
pd matric fees............296 .........289................ 277

accepted/
interviews ..................77%......... 89% ..............92%

So, for the class of 2014 (matric) , the accepted/interviews back to (550/600) = 92% ........very interesting. Wonder what combined conditions/internal decision caused that?

So, for the class of 2014 (matric) , the accepted/interviews back to (550/600) = 92% ........very interesting. Wonder what combined conditions/internal decision caused that?

Probably the new dean.

only 1000 secondaries??? That's a pretty hard prescreen no?
They set the GPA at an absolute 3.25. Thats killer for a lot of people that dont know about it. As far as I know, it doesnt matter if you aced a masters program or have any other massively redeeming qualities about your application. From what I hear 3.25 is the hard number they set. I imagine even half of those people that dont get secondaries dont hit the mark and never even realized they never had a shot. But thats just my speculation at least.

They set the GPA at an absolute 3.25. Thats killer for a lot of people that dont know about it. As far as I know, it doesnt matter if you aced a masters program or have any other massively redeeming qualities about your application. From what I hear 3.25 is the hard number they set. I imagine even half of those people that dont get secondaries dont hit the mark and never even realized they never had a shot. But thats just my speculation at least.

Well very thankful I rcvd a secondary here. Put a lot into these essays so hopefully this one will lead to an ii!

Does KCUMB have any rural medicine emphasis? Anyone know of the rural clinical sites?

Dr. Dubin (the new dean) is in the process of implementing rural med, global med, and military med tracks into the new curriculum, much like he did at RVU. Can't speak to his doings in Texas bc I don't know, but that was something that came up on interview day this past Tuesday. Hope that helps!

Hi guys! First year here. I know you don't get to ask us first years many questions during your interviews, so I wanted to reach out and let you know that I'm available to answer any questions you may have. Rumor has it that they wanted us to take part in your interview days but didn't have time to train us, which tells you something about the new curriculum: it's INTENSE and we're really busy. Be patient if my answers to your questions are delayed (we just started musculoskeletal), but I'll do my best to get back to you.

This. Ask away!!

Who else is interviewing Sept 25th? :)

First year here. Get at me with any questions.

Other than that, don't sweat the interview and just be your normal, charming selves. Easier said than done, but I can almost promise you that you're blowing up the interview process, especially here. Regardless, do your homework. Regarding attendance. If class is your thing, go. If it's not, don't go or do work while your in class. Always do work. Don't sweat what others are doing or what they have to say about your approach. You don't need any self doubt or bad vibes. Best of luck. You'll be in soon enough.

First year here. Get at me with any questions.

Other than that, don't sweat the interview and just be your normal, charming selves. Easier said than done, but I can almost promise you that you're blowing up the interview process, especially here. Regardless, do your homework. Regarding attendance. If class is your thing, go. If it's not, don't go or do work while your in class. Always do work. Don't sweat what others are doing or what they have to say about your approach. You don't need any self doubt or bad vibes. Best of luck. You'll be in soon enough.

Thanks for the advice! did you see any of us interviewees yesterday?!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Sorry if this was answered already. Is it required to have the LOR PDF forms from KCUMB be filled out by each of your letter writers? Or can we just turn in the LOR without those forms?