Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know their GPA cutoff is either 3.2 or 3.25, so you are good on that front. And Their MCAT is probably a 24 with no sections lower than a 7. I do not think they screen out 7s but I will be honest I am not 100% sure. As far as I know, you will not get screened.

Members don't see this ad.

Just saw on the schedule that the first interview is this week. If you see a bunch of 1st years looking miserable don't worry. We have 2 exams this week and a big immuno test next week. People interviewing next week will see us in a better mood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
Just saw on the schedule that the first interview is this week. If you see a bunch of 1st years looking miserable don't worry. We have 2 exams this week and a big immuno test next week. People interviewing next week will see us in a better mood.

I dunno about you but I'm not miserable. Anatomy ain't got **** on m. ;)

Sent from my LGLS990

Members don't see this ad :)
It is pretty high. It has ranged from 70-90% over the past 5 years. I imagine it is higher in the beginning of the cycle, and lower later on, averaging to the 70-90%. I am under the impression however, that overall KCUMB likes to screen harder pre-interview. So if you get past the secondary and get an interview, you have just as much of a shot as the people next to you.

It has gone down in the past few years. I met a lot of people on the interview trail who were waitlisted last year.

...................................2011........ 2010.......... 2009
apps.......................... 3210...... 3108 ...........3109
Interview invites........ 766.......... 627.............. 828
interviews.................. 621......... 400............... 460
Accepted................... 478......... 356............... 423
pd matric fees............296 .........289................ 277

accepted/
interviews ..................77%......... 89% ..............92%
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/kansas-city-kcumb-com-discussion-thread-2012-2013.912626/

Then somewhere else I found that the 2012 cycle was 82% but for the life of me I cant find it. You may be right though for the 2013 cycle. I have not heard anything about those numbers.

I remember looking at those stats last year when I was applying. You have to remember the new administration is very different from the previous one. The new dean came in end of last year. Now we're geared towards higher board scores.

Last year there was a lot of confusion when NSU started waitlisting people. In previous years a majority of the people who interviewed were accepted. It caused quite a bit of ruckus in the school specific thread.

The stuff I know from last year about the application cycle is already becoming outdated. Schools are constantly changing their criteria especially when administration changes.

Etiquette and presenting yourself in the best manner are the only things set in stone.

Reactions: 1 users

Wow has time fly its already interview week!?

Reactions: 1 user

Good luck on your exams! If it helps, I'm sure everyone at the interviews will be stressed/nervous too (myself included!) haha. Can't wait to meet you guys tomorrow and explore KCUMB! (Writing this on the plane!)

Good luck on your exams! If it helps, I'm sure everyone at the interviews will be stressed/nervous too (myself included!) haha. Can't wait to meet you guys tomorrow and explore KCUMB! (Writing this on the plane!)
good luck!

Does anyone know exactly what the LOR requirements are? Their website states:
"KCUMB's College of Osteopathic Medicine requires two letters of recommendation/evaluation to be submitted as part of the secondary application. Applicants must submit one from each of the following sources:
  • A physician (preferably an osteopathic physician)
  • A premedical source
    This could be an advisor's letter, a composite evaluation or evaluations from a committee. If a premed source is not available, please submit a letter or evaluation from a science faculty member."
I was reading through the school thread from 2013-2014 and saw that the requirement was three: (Pre-Medical Advisor/Science Faculty Member, Science Faculty Member, and Physician [DO or MD]). I received an invitation email to apply and after researching more about this school, I'm actually really impressed and excited to apply to this school. Since I'm non-trad (2 years out of school), I've only managed to obtain 3 letters from my employer (president of the company), my biology professor, and a physician. Do you think it would be worth submitting/paying for an application if I don't meet the LOR requirements?

TMDSAS 3.5 cGPA 3.6 spGPA 27
AACOMAS 3.55 cGPA 3.65 sGPA 27

Just got the "friendly reminder" email about missing application info. But since I had no item listed on there so it just said to ignore this email lol.

Just got the "friendly reminder" email about missing application info. But since I had no item listed on there so it just said to ignore this email lol.

Why did they have to psych us out like that?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the people who interviewed yesterday, what sort of questions were asked/how was the interview?

I received a thank you for applying and had information for the school. Does the secondary come after this email?

The interview was super relaxed, I actually enjoyed the day! Also since the interviews are in the afternoon you are already relaxed after the morning activities. There were no off the wall questions in my interview, they were all pretty standard. It was like was more like a conversation and less like an interview. I didn't have an ethics questions though I am pretty sure others did. I can't even think of a good question to share that isn't a no brainier.

So, my advice would be relax! Like they told us, "if you made it this far we are interested. We just want to make sure your not too weird". lol

Reactions: 3 users
The interview was super relaxed, I actually enjoyed the day! Also since the interviews are in the afternoon you are already relaxed after the morning activities. There were no off the wall questions in my interview, they were all pretty standard. It was like was more like a conversation and less like an interview. I didn't have an ethics questions though I am pretty sure others did. I can't even think of a good question to share that isn't a no brainier.

So, my advice would be relax! Like they told us, "if you made it this far we are interested. We just want to make sure your not too weird". lol

This basically sums up the day perfectly haha. Everything was pretty casual/comfortable and everyone was extremely welcoming!

Reactions: 2 users
This basically sums up the day perfectly haha. Everything was pretty casual/comfortable and everyone was extremely welcoming!

do you guys know when they will be letting us know the results?

My interviewer claimed it would be two weeks but when I asked the people in admissions they said closer to 3-4 weeks haha. Either way, they will be the longest weeks ever lol.

How was the area surrounding the campus? From google maps it looks like it's in an odd place? haha

I'm not going to lie it is in a bad neighborhood. However, there is great campus security. (Sorry just downloaded the sdn app, couldn't figure out how to quote)

Last edited:
How was the area surrounding the campus? From google maps it looks like it's in an odd place? haha

I think it kind of depends what you're used to....it's not necessarily the best area but coming from a college town with a similar downtown area, it's really not that bad. Also, just a few minutes from campus, there are super nice areas (the Country Club Plaza, Westport, etc) so it just depends what you're used to. But the security is great around campus and I even spoke to one of them the night before when I went to explore the campus. I was impressed =]

I think it kind of depends what you're used to....it's not necessarily the best area but coming from a college town with a similar downtown area, it's really not that bad. Also, just a few minutes from campus, there are super nice areas (the Country Club Plaza, Westport, etc) so it just depends what you're used to. But the security is great around campus and I even spoke to one of them the night before when I went to explore the campus. I was impressed =]

Awesome! I come in Tuesday afternoon so I will look at the campus and surrounding area! Thank you!

Hey guys, good luck to everyone interviewing this week!

I was part of the 9/4 interview group. It was a great day and I'm incredibly grateful that KCUMB was my first ever interview.

I know it's easier said than done, but don't be nervous. The admissions representatives are incredibly welcoming and warm, and started the day with a relaxed, enjoyable energy. The student ambassadors were extremely helpful, relatable, and happy to answer all of our questions throughout the day before it came time to interview. I have to say that one of the things that stood out most was the student atmosphere- even the students who were not participating as ambassadors were friendly and considerate and would go out of their way to say "hi" and "good luck." Not to mention, everyone seemed happy on campus (well, as happy as one can be prior to exams- good luck guys!). The student support and overall atmosphere was very encouraging! As were the renovated lecture halls and library.

The interview itself was a short 30 mins. Again, the general consensus was that all interviews were relaxed, non-stressful, and conversational. Not many people reported of any difficult, ethical, or stressful questions. As the faculty explained at the beginning of the day, the goal of the interviews were really to get to know the applicant and their interpersonal qualities (and to ensure that no one was too crazy ;) ). That being said, if you have some unique experiences or interests, be prepared to explain. Especially if those interests or your background relate to any hot topics in medicine right now. Without going into detail, I got a couple of these and was asked to explain my thoughts on a current health topic, and how I could translate my past experiences towards education/possible initiatives. Again, as with all interviews, just know yourself and be able to explain how your past has shaped you and your goals.

Relax, be yourself, and ask questions. I can't even adequately explain how great the students were.
This school is pretty spectacular. The new dean, new curriculum innovations and programs, and faculty-to-student support soars this school to the top of my list!

Also, anyone who has not yet booked a hotel- I HIGHLY recommend the 816 Hotel. Be sure to use the code KCUMB while booking for a fantastic rate. Free complimentary drinks from 5-7, free breakfast, free shuttle service to kcumb and an amazing staff.

Reactions: 4 users

Exactly what mamit1001 said. Like many schools in big cities, the immediate surrounding vicinity wasn't the most desirable part of town. All of the students emphasized the presence of security though and that they've never felt unsafe walking around campus, to/from their cars, or to/from the nearby Century Towers where many students live. They actually joked that the high presence of security could be more uncomfortable than anything else- they were joking of course, but just made the point that there will always be someone on campus to watch out for you and protect you. They even have an app where you can send your location and GPS signal to security in the case you feel unsure of your surroundings.

I explored many parts of KC and truly loved the city; and I am not a city type of gal. There are many different districts for everyone's taste, and huge parks for those who like to walk/run or have dogs. I found that the city was clean as well. And you can't beat the FREE parking!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Exactly what mamit1001 said. Like many schools in big cities, the immediate surrounding vicinity wasn't the most desirable part of town. All of the students emphasized the presence of security though and that they've never felt unsafe walking around campus, to/from their cars, or to/from the nearby Century Towers where many students live. They actually joked that the high presence of security could be more uncomfortable than anything else- they were joking of course, but just made the point that there will always be someone on campus to watch out for you and protect you. They even have an app where you can send your location and GPS signal to security in the case you feel unsure of your surroundings.

I explored many parts of KC and truly loved the city; and I am not a city type of gal. There are many different districts for everyone's taste, and huge parks for those who like to walk/run or have dogs. I found that the city was clean as well. And you can't beat the FREE parking!!!

Thank you so much! I'm really excited to come here and see this place! Any good eats nearby?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Thank you so much! I'm really excited to come here and see this place! Any good eats nearby?

:)
Where are you staying?? There are TONS of restaurants, pubs, cafés, etc in the nearby Westport square (where the 816 hotel is). Lots of good happy hour deals, too!
If you're looking for BBQ, I went to Q39 and it was sooo good (and inexpensive). Oklahoma joes was also recommended by the locals- it's in a gas station or something but said to be a true gem.

:)
Where are you staying?? There are TONS of restaurants, pubs, cafés, etc in the nearby Westport square (where the 816 hotel is). Lots of good happy hour deals, too!
If you're looking for BBQ, I went to Q39 and it was sooo good (and inexpensive). Oklahoma joes was also recommended by the locals- it's in a gas station or something but said to be a true gem.

I am staying at 816! Weird cuz I asked then if they had a shuttle to the campus and they were just confused haha! I didn't realize 816 was in Westport but how I have to check it out!

Oh wow! q39 is on my list! Thanks again!

Free parking?! That's a thing???? As someone from the DMV, that is pretty much drool-worthy.

Good luck tomorrow! Let us know how it goes

FWIW, one of the med student ambassadors at my interview said that KCUMB interviewed ~600 people last year and accepted 554.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow, I truly hope that's accurate..

This was the best possible first interview experience! The school does a great job selling itself, student ambassadors seem happy. My interviewer maybe asked two questions the whole time- the rest was just conversation and laughing. Good luck to everyone interviewing!

FWIW, one of the med student ambassadors at my interview said that KCUMB interviewed ~600 people last year and accepted 554.

Someone else told me during the day of the interview different stats:

4000 applied
1000 received secondaries
600 interviewed
550 accepted

All round figures :)

Someone else told me during the day of the interview different stats:

4000 applied
1000 received secondaries
600 interviewed
550 accepted

All round figures :)
Can anyone confirm the secondary part? I have a hard time believing they screen that hard.

Also, should I be worried that I am just now submitting this secondary, exactly four weeks after receiving it? Did I blow my chances? I have good stats 3.65/3.43/35, which I hope will outweigh taking four weeks.

Can anyone confirm the secondary part? I have a hard time believing they screen that hard.

Also, should I be worried that I am just now submitting this secondary, exactly four weeks after receiving it? Did I blow my chances? I have good stats 3.65/3.43/35, which I hope will outweigh taking four weeks.

It's still kind of early. You should be fine. Good mcat score.