Kansas City University (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Dr Turkelton I would probably call them and ask them to reconsider your app as mentioned before - especially if you really want to go to KCUMB. Just be overly polite :nod: Let us know what you end up doing!

Members don't see this ad.

Still no secondary yet... AACOMAS released on 7/17. Received that welcome email last Monday. 3.27cgpa,3.21sgpa, 31 (10-9-12)

If I apply in late August/early Septmeber, am I going to have a chance here? For what it's worth, my stats are 3.65/3.43/35. It seems like they've already given out a lot of ii. This or Nova are my number one choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I apply in late August/early Septmeber, am I going to have a chance here? For what it's worth, my stats are 3.65/3.43/35. It seems like they've already given out a lot of ii. This or Nova are my number one choices.

why are you waiting to apply? You can go ahead and apply if you are waiting on grades/MCAT and update them as things are released. I would apply as soon as you possibly can if you want to go here. :thumbup:

why are you waiting to apply? You can go ahead and apply if you are waiting on grades/MCAT and update them as things are released. I would apply as soon as you possibly can if you want to go here. :thumbup:
DO letter.

Pre secondary rejection with a 3.1uGPA, 3.8 SMP gpa and 38 MCAT, guess there is absolutely no wiggle room with those cutoffs...
You should contact them personally for them to review your application, they need human eyes on it to see that you have a 3.8 SMP that trumps your other GPA, and a 38 MCAT.

But as others said, youll get interviews from MD.

dude worst reason to wait, it is not even a required component - just recommended. Apply now and send the DO letter when you get it!
Man, I know, it sucks, but I don't have an MD letter either.

Man, I know, it sucks, but I don't have an MD letter either.

You have to submit your AACOMAS application first, then letters do not need to be submitted until the secondary application is due. It's better to submit now and get that secondary all set so that everything is good to go when your letters finally come in.

You have to submit your AACOMAS application first, then letters do not need to be submitted until the secondary application is due. It's better to submit now and get that secondary all set so that everything is good to go when your letters finally come in.
I submitted my primary in late June and was verified last week. I applied to 6 or so DO schools, but I've only gotten secondaries from MSU, Nova, and PCom. I haven't received KCUMB's yet. The only secondary I've sent in is to nova because I've heard they give ii without LORs. My issue is that I'm just waiting for the DO I shadowed to write my letter.

I submitted my primary in late June and was verified last week. I applied to 6 or so DO schools, but I've only gotten secondaries from MSU, Nova, and PCom. I haven't received KCUMB's yet. The only secondary I've sent in is to nova because I've heard they give ii without LORs. My issue is that I'm just waiting for the DO I shadowed to write my letter.

I would send in everything you can as soon as you can - things start to move pretty slowly in admissions departments as the season moves on and applications start piling up. KCUMB is sometimes slow on secondaries (check your spam folder). Have you contacted the Dr? Just a simple check-in to see if they need any more information or giving them an update if anything has changed, not really badgering them to get it done but just reminding them that you exist sort-of thing.

:bear:

Does it take some time to become complete? I submitted everything about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything back.

Posted using SDN Mobile

You should contact them personally for them to review your application, they need human eyes on it to see that you have a 3.8 SMP that trumps your other GPA, and a 38 MCAT.

But as others said, youll get interviews from MD.
@Dr Turkelton I would probably call them and ask them to reconsider your app as mentioned before - especially if you really want to go to KCUMB. Just be overly polite :nod: Let us know what you end up doing!
Did you ask them why?

I find it hard to believe they would reject you w/ a 3.8/38

Thanks guys. I do have one MD interview so far and am complete at 3 DO schools so I think I might just chalk this one up as a loss and move on. Running out of money anyways. However this looks like an absolutely awesome school and I wish you guys the best of luck!

Why did you even apply to DO schools at all? A 3.8 SMP/ 38 will almost certainly get you into high tier MD.

Applied before I got my MCAT score. Have multiple D's and C's in undergrad and my amcas uGPA is like a 2.98 so I doubt I'll get much love from high tier MD's.

what the??????
did they make a mistake or something?
I did not satisfy the cut off for one of my sub section MCAT (VR) and they still send me a secondary. I don't know if it is worth it to submit the secondary in just to get rejected anyways!

I was under the cGPA and sGPA cutoffs so I think that's why. If they sent you a secondary that probably means your grades aren't an issue anymore, I would apply if I were you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected pre-interview! My first one hah. Good luck to the rest of you!

Wait, why did they reject you? I creeped your posts and I'm pretty sure you're over their cut-offs....

Wait, why did they reject you? I creeped your posts and I'm pretty sure you're over their cut-offs....
Not sure...maybe lack of ECs or stand-out type stuff, most likely.

I assume they meant they were rejected after submitting the secondary. Not everyone who submits a secondary gets an interview, so someone has to be rejected :(

Sorry about that AMH0514! I'm sure you will have better luck at other schools.

Anyone know how we check if they received our LORS and to figure out if we are complete? I submitted my secondary today and LORS a few weeks ago.

Anyone know how we check if they received our LORS and to figure out if we are complete? I submitted my secondary today and LORS a few weeks ago.

Email admissions! There is no online portal

Reactions: 1 user
I have not gotten a secondary or a rejection of any kind from this school nor have they replied to my emails. They rejected me a few cycles ago post interview and told me I would not make a good DO. I guess they meant it, once rejected always rejected huh?

I have not gotten a secondary or a rejection of any kind from this school nor have they replied to my emails. They rejected me a few cycles ago post interview and told me I would not make a good DO. I guess they meant it, once rejected always rejected huh?
Yikes. Did you accidentally fart in the interview?

Yikes. Did you accidentally fart in the interview?
Ha no but it may have helped lift the air. No that day was just a grilling day and I was on the menu. First there was a debate about my name being real and how I was not what they were expecting ( I have a mixed midwestern/ southern dialect and a foreign sounding name) then they went on the attack with the "we don't normally interview people with less than a 3.5" ( I had a 3.4 at the time) to " your selection of post baccs doesn't seem right for someone that wants to be a DO" to " I see you have shadowed a DO but I don't see anything that stands out as you wanting to be a DO". These questions/attacks were reworded over and over until I had enough and I stated that I did not see any difference between MDs and DOs in practice and that I am interested in going to the medical school that I can get the best education at and I would be happy with. This ended the interview and as I walked out I was told ( can't remember who) that with my personality, lack of interest in primary care ( not sure why they thought this) and academic drive I was a better candidate for MD schools and would not make a very good DO. I was rejected a few weeks later.

Ha no but it may have helped lift the air. No that day was just a grilling day and I was on the menu. First there was a debate about my name being real and how I was not what they were expecting ( I have a mixed midwestern/ southern dialect and a foreign sounding name) then they went on the attack with the "we don't normally interview people with less than a 3.5" ( I had a 3.4 at the time) to " your selection of post baccs doesn't seem right for someone that wants to be a DO" to " I see you have shadowed a DO but I don't see anything that stands out as you wanting to be a DO". These questions/attacks were reworded over and over until I had enough and I stated that I did not see any difference between MDs and DOs in practice and that I am interested in going to the medical school that I can get the best education at and I would be happy with. This ended the interview and as I walked out I was told ( can't remember who) that with my personality, lack of interest in primary care ( not sure why they thought this) and academic drive I was a better candidate for MD schools and would not make a very good DO. I was rejected a few weeks later.

wait why your selection of post bac doesnt seem right for DOs? it is where the grade replacement comes from!

by the way, are you ***serious that those people told you that? that is so awful and rude!.......................why they sent u interview invite just to say that?

wait why your selection of post bac doesnt seem right for DOs? it is where the grade replacement comes from!

by the way, are you ***serious that those people told you that? that is so awful and rude!.......................why they sent u interview invite just to say that?
KCUMB doesn't have to many bad days so my experience isn't common nor do I think they were rude they just wanted answers I couldn't give. When I was saying why I wanted to be at KCUMB, they followed up with well why didn't you apply to our masters program here which led to the comment about my selection of programs not being right for DO. It is my guess that they invited me to interview thinking I was URM ( which I come from an area that is and I was raised in an area where the nearest hospital was a 45 min drive) and when they didnt see the color they expected they felt like I was misleading them so they attacked to see if there was any other problem they could grind out.

KCUMB doesn't have to many bad days so my experience isn't common nor do I think they were rude they just wanted answers I couldn't give. When I was saying why I wanted to be at KCUMB, they followed up with well why didn't you apply to our masters program here which led to the comment about my selection of programs not being right for DO. It is my guess that they invited me to interview thinking I was URM ( which I come from an area that is and I was raised in an area where the nearest hospital was a 45 min drive) and when they didnt see the color they expected they felt like I was misleading them so they attacked to see if there was any other problem they could grind out.

that is awful!....this is a DO school though and they said they wont like to accept anyone with below 3.6 GPA?!?!?!?!...........sigh chin up :) what other programs are u applying to if u dont mind me asking :).

that is awful!....this is a DO school though and they said they wont like to accept anyone with below 3.6 GPA?!?!?!?!...........sigh chin up :) what other programs are u applying to if u dont mind me asking :).
yep it was hard news at the time and my stats are much better now. I think I have my current school list on my md apps if it doesn't show just pm me and I will share my list with you.

Does anyone have experience with fee waivers and KCUMB?

I emailed admissions : "I received a fee waiver from AACOMAS. I recently submitted my secondary application and I was prompted to submit a payment. Will my secondary fee also be waived? "
Admissions responded: "Please forward a copy of the fee to this email address."

As the waiver comes by means of an AACOMAS message, I couldn't forward it. I took a screenshot of it and emailed it back to admissions.

I can't help but feel like I'm missing something.

Pre secondary rejection with a 3.1uGPA, 3.8 SMP gpa and 38 MCAT, guess there is absolutely no wiggle room with those cutoffs...

Bolded for truth. Just received my pre-secondary rejection. Stats: 3.23c/3.36s/36

I was rejected pre-secondary today and I emailed them back letting them know about how I had just completed a masters program at Tulane in Pharmacology. I was shocked when they emailed me back within 5 mins ( fastest response time ever) and was told " while we review all academic performance, undergraduate is our highest priority. We don't review graduate work as a replacement for past undergraduate performance however graduate work in the biosciences is strongly considered."
If I am understanding this properly they are saying if your graduate degree doesn't have bioscience written on it they don't care. Doesn't matter that I took medical pharmacology side by side with medical students at Tulane university and graduated with a 3.95 gpa.
Zero wiggle room.

I was rejected pre-secondary today and I emailed them back letting them know about how I had just completed a masters program at Tulane in Pharmacology. I was shocked when they emailed me back within 5 mins ( fastest response time ever) and was told " while we review all academic performance, undergraduate is our highest priority. We don't review graduate work as a replacement for past undergraduate performance however graduate work in the biosciences is strongly considered."
If I am understanding this properly they are saying if your graduate degree doesn't have bioscience written on it they don't care. Doesn't matter that I took medical pharmacology side by side with medical students at Tulane university and graduated with a 3.95 gpa.
Zero wiggle room.

What was your undergrad GPA?

Zero wiggle room.

Sorry to hear that. Grade replace one class and you will be above the cutoff of 3.25?

Sorry to hear that. Grade replace one class and you will be above the cutoff of 3.25?
Really not worth the effort. I haven't been an undergrad in 2 years and I am currently serving in Americorp ( another thing that they completely missed).It is not likely I will be rejected from every school. I am not a bad applicant, I just think that the cut off system prevents them from reviewing the whole person and from collecting easy money and more information about an applicant. A very ironic thing considering they claim to teach medicine that trains people in treating the whole person.

Really not worth the effort. I haven't been an undergrad in 2 years and I am currently serving in Americorp ( another thing that they completely missed).It is not likely I will be rejected from every school. I am not a bad applicant, I just think that the cut off system prevents them from reviewing the whole person and from collecting easy money and more information about an applicant. A very ironic thing considering they claim to teach medicine that trains people in treating the whole person.

I think you will get an acceptance in numerous other places! Your stats are strong, their loss!

Anyone know about interview stats here? I heard that they offer acceptances to most that interview...

Does anyone know when then next round of interview invites are gonna be going out?

Question: do they send out complete e-mails? Submitted secondary on 08/07, payed and sent my LORs that same day, but haven't gotten a complete email yet.

Also, concerning the cut-offs. MCAT was 26 here PS 09 VR 06 BS 11..... wasn't expecting a secondary with my verbal score. I think they are strict with cut-offs, but I do think they look at your application fully before sending out secondaries..... pretty well-rounded everywhere else in my application.

Question: do they send out complete e-mails? Submitted secondary on 08/07, payed and sent my LORs that same day, but haven't gotten a complete email yet.

Also, concerning the cut-offs. MCAT was 26 here PS 09 VR 06 BS 11..... wasn't expecting a secondary with my verbal score. I think they are strict with cut-offs, but I do think they look at your application fully before sending out secondaries..... pretty well-rounded everywhere else in my application.
Yes they do send out complete emails, but it may take a few days. Especially considering you sent on the 7th, today is technically only the 3rd business day from when you submitted. Mine had a significant delay due to someone being out of office, but upon calling and inquiring, they were extremely friendly and informative. If you received a secondary, then you made it past their cut-offs :) And the subsection scores are just "recommended," not an absolute certainty if the rest of your app makes up for it!

I submitted AACOMAS 6/26, received a secondary relatively late on 7/23 (which was surprising because some people received it at the beginning of July), and received a complete email today stating that my application is under review. It took almost 20 days since I submitted my secondary, but at least they are sending complete emails back! If anyone was wondering, stats are well above the cutoff for GPA and MCAT so this was not the reason for the late secondary. Keep your hopes up!!!

Zero wiggle room.

Weird.

I would think a high grad GPA shows you can handle the rigors of med school.

I submitted AACOMAS 6/26, received a secondary relatively late on 7/23 (which was surprising because some people received it at the beginning of July), and received a complete email today stating that my application is under review. It took almost 20 days since I submitted my secondary, but at least they are sending complete emails back! If anyone was wondering, stats are well above the cutoff for GPA and MCAT so this was not the reason for the late secondary. Keep your hopes up!!!
Yea I am sitting at nearly 3 weeks of waiting for a complete email. I emailed them yesterday just to make sure my letters got there safely and whatnot. They basically just said they were swamped.

I got my complete email yesterday. Now, the waiting game.

Did anyone else get this email?

"I have some great news for you. Based upon your success on the MCAT, I would like to invite you to apply to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences - College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCUMB-COM). If you have already applied please click here.
This invitation to apply is being offered to a select group of students who show great potential. Because of this priority status, you can apply immediately via the AACOMAS application. Should you apply no later than September 30, 2014, you will receive the following benefits:

A fast tracked admission decision, within one week of receipt of your application from AACOMAS, for secondary application consideration.
Priority consideration for one of our coveted spots at our Interview Days.
Priority consideration for scholarships through our financial aid process."

I sent in my secondary a few weeks ago.. this also came in through the email I used for my MCAT (I used a seperate one for my AACOMAS/schools).
I'm so confused! I mean the email sounds promising, but also like it wasn't meant for me..

Reactions: 6 users

"I have some great news for you. Based upon your success on the MCAT, I would like to invite you to apply to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences - College of Osteopathic Medicine (KCUMB-COM). If you have already applied please click here.
This invitation to apply is being offered to a select group of students who show great potential. Because of this priority status, you can apply immediately via the AACOMAS application. Should you apply no later than September 30, 2014, you will receive the following benefits:

A fast tracked admission decision, within one week of receipt of your application from AACOMAS, for secondary application consideration.

I sent in my secondary a few weeks ago.. this also came in through the email I used for my MCAT (I used a seperate one for my AACOMAS/schools).
I'm so confused! I mean the email sounds promising, but also like it wasn't meant for me..
lol just got it too... i was so confused...

I just got this and am curious as well - I didn't apply DO this cycle, or even create an AACOMAS account. The interesting thing is that my MCAT wasn't very good... still competitive for DO, but not great.