Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I live in PA but its still a 5 hr drive from where I am. I will probably drive up the night before and stay at a hotel since the interview starts at 8am

I had no idea Philly is 400 miles away from Erie. That's insane.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in PA but its still a 5 hr drive from where I am. I will probably drive up the night before and stay at a hotel since the interview starts at 8am

I'm from FL and debating taking a train and flying out

Checked renting a car and it will cost more so I just said flip it

Is anyone going to try to check out some of the clinical sites in the area?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Flight + car book. See you guys at Erie :)

I'll arrive on June 28, so if anyone interview on that day want to grab dinner together or something, hit me up

Reactions: 1 user
Flight + car book. See you guys at Erie :)

I'll arrive on June 28, so if anyone interview on that day want to grab dinner together or something, hit me up

lol so you're traveling back in time too. good luck on your interview!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm getting nervous about being offered an interview. No offense to everyone who has been offered one, it's great for all of you and I hope to be your future classmate, but objectively my stats are a little higher with a cGPA of 3.54 and a 32 MCAT but I haven't heard anything back. I submitted my secondary on the 24th and had it verified on the 28th of June, but still nothing. I believe people who submitted theirs on the 23rd, only a day before mine, got interviews 3 days ago.

What gives??

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting nervous about being offered an interview. No offense to everyone who has been offered on, but objectively my stats are a little higher with a cGPA of 3.54 and a 32 MCAT but I haven't heard anything back. I submitted my secondary on the 24th and had it verified on the 28th of June, but still nothing. I believe people who submitted theirs on the 23rd, only a day before mine, got interviews 3 days ago.

What gives??

I agree. With the holiday coming, we may not hear back until Tuesday, if that.

Interview invite for 7/15 given on 6/28. 3.53 sGPA and cGPA and a 30 MCAT. Parents live in Reading, PA so will drive up from their place the day before and stay in a motel. Secondary submitted 6/23. Good luck everyone! See some of you at Erie :)

So everyone that has gotten an interview, did they schedule the date for you or give you options?

Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up deciding on august 26th as my interview date-- I'm beginning to feel unsure if that's a little too late in the cycle.

Same! Does anyone have any input? First time applying to DO so I really don't know how long the cycle lasts for this school and when they first start accepting...

Same! Does anyone have any input? First time applying to DO so I really don't know how long the cycle lasts for this school and when they first start accepting...

Last year ppl who II first group received the same decision on the same date as ppl II in August groups

And when was that? Couldnt find the first round of decisions looking back...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

hey guys, long time sdn lurker, a couple questions for those more "seasoned" than I am. From what I have learned the first 2 years at pretty much every DO school is the same but its the 3rd and 4rth years doing rotations and things play a big role in helping you get a good residency, does anybody know which DO schools have pretty solid rotation spots so I won't have to worry about scrambling or running into issues during these years?
PS. good vibes to all of you applying this cycle!

How are you guys preparing for the interview? I know it's a group interview that tests you on how well you're versed on certain topics and how well you handle group discussion, but there's got to be some prep going into it right? I have my talking points on topics like euthanasia, abortion, MIPS, ACA, etc. but other than that, what else are you guys doing?

This thread could use some positivity and perspective, so I'm just going to say this.
It's only July 1st. There's still PLENTY of time to hear back for interviews, especially since applications just started being verified a few days ago. Stats do matter, but so do extra-curriculars, research, volunteer experience, shadowing experience, LORs, etc. My MCAT is on the average side, but my cGPA is 3.7 and the rest of my application is pretty solid. Don't compare yourself to other people based on stats alone. There's no such thing as "being objective" when it comes to getting an interview and getting accepted. Just as with the osteopathic philosophy, the whole person (and their whole application) matters. I'm not trying to be insensitive to those who haven't been offered an interview yet, but please just try to relax and be patient. Have confidence in yourself and try to enjoy your summer!

I agree. I don't have the greatest MCATs, but I applied super early and sent my secondary the same day I received it like the other people who got interview invites.

Med school interviews and acceptances are given liberally the earlier you have everything in, so be patient and you'll get an invite if you're turning everything in on time!

Did anyone get II's today? I am anxiously waiting over here :whistle:

Did anyone get II's today? I am anxiously waiting over here :whistle:

Does II stand for interview invite? If so, then no, I haven't received one yet.

If it means 2 in Roman numerals, as in a secondary, I received mine like two weeks ago

Does II stand for interview invite? If so, then no, I haven't received one yet.

If it means 2 in Roman numerals, as in a secondary, I received mine like two weeks ago
It means interview :)

How are you guys preparing for the interview? I know it's a group interview that tests you on how well you're versed on certain topics and how well you handle group discussion, but there's got to be some prep going into it right? I have my talking points on topics like euthanasia, abortion, MIPS, ACA, etc. but other than that, what else are you guys doing?

I'm typing up a word document of several common questions. But i've heard this is pretty pointless.

The preparation on common issues in health care is probably the only thing you can do.

Tip.

Know yourself (have a short to the point intro)
Why you want to be a DO (x1000)
Current status of US healthcare (issues & what you think could be done to help fix it)

Make sure you contribute to the discussion if there's a group question thrown out at you. Also, don't be cocky.

Good Luck!

Tip.

Know yourself (have a short to the point intro)
Why you want to be a DO (x1000)
Current status of US healthcare (issues & what you think could be done to help fix it)

Make sure you contribute to the discussion if there's a group question thrown out at you. Also, don't be cocky.

Good Luck!

I'm rusty since I interviewed a few years ago but I'll second this.

Be confident but not cocky. "Play well" with the group and don't be rude or interrupt-- don't think of it as a race to get a word in.

If you're interviewing at Seton Hill, know why you think PBL would be a good fit for you.

I just received a text from LECOM saying LECOM Erie is reviewing your application. Please check the LECOM Portal for updates as they occur. Anyone else get this text?

I just received a text from LECOM saying LECOM Erie is reviewing your application. Please check the LECOM Portal for updates as they occur. Anyone else get this text?
I did last week! Because we signed up for text alerts.

I did last week! Because we signed up for text alerts.
I received an email from LECOM Erie on 6/28 that my supplemental was processed and under review so I found it strange that I just got a text today. Do you think the text was just lagging and behind or do you think they actually are reviewing my application right now? Any word on II for you?

I received an email from LECOM Erie on 6/28 that my supplemental was processed and under review so I found it strange that I just got a text today. Do you think the text was just lagging and behind or do you think they actually are reviewing my application right now? Any word on II for you?
Well, as nice as it would be for them to be reviewing your app RIGHT THIS SECOND, I would say it's just a lag. And nope, no word. I was put "under review" on June 28, so hopefully we are in the next batch of II's! :whistle:

Well, as nice as it would be for them to be reviewing your app RIGHT THIS SECOND, I would say it's just a lag. And nope, no word. I was put "under review" on June 28, so hopefully we are in the next batch of II's! :whistle:

I spoke to LECOM-B and Ms. Shively, the admissions coordinator, is out of the office until Monday. The lady I spoke to also said that although we got emails saying we are complete on 6/28, it seems to be a glitch in the system since they have not started to download apps.

Just received the same text. Man, sure wish they were reviewing it at this very moment. Such a tease

I got a text just now for II for Erie. ++

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users