Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current students: do you sense a general attitude among the student body as reflected on the website posted by this banned user? (wehatelecom.com).

I'll be attending lecom-sh in the fall, and I hope not...lol?...

A student I was speaking with post-interview said not many students like the administration due to its rules and big brother like control. He also mentioned that he didn't feel proud to go to lecom but the finances and cost make up for its downfalls. In the end, you're going to become a doctor.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! Quick question-- I am interviewing at LECOM-E on Jan 10th and was wondering if anyone knows if they have students you can stay with or any form of overnight housing. I scanned the thread quickly and didn't see anything about it so if anyone has any advice or knows anything, that'd be fantastic! Thanks all

I have a friend who graduated from Erie who visited the school this past week and spoke highly of me but they said that they didn't have a file for me even though I've been complete since Oct 31. I wonder if that means if I am just waiting for a rejection letter? I just got a rejection letter from LECOM-B yesterday. This application cycle has been depressing.

I'd keep an eye on the portal. If they send a pre-interview rejection, you should see a portal change to something like "you should receive the decision within xx days".

I think you're fine, just wait and see.

Can anyone speak to how the way you rank pathways affects your acceptance? I know I initially read it doesn't but at the interview it seemed that you are evaluated based on that pathway.

According to them, the rankings have no bearing on acceptance. You are accepted first and then they look at the ranking. Only adcom memvers would know if this was completely true.

I got my letter today about 3 weeks after I interviewed and I am an alternate. Does anyone know what kind of movement the alternate list has?

LECOM usually has a lot of movement, but you might not hear anything for a few months.

Does anyone know the policy to defer acceptance for the next year?

Unless it has changed, they don't allow deferals. Contact them to be sure.

been complete for about 3 months now. LECOM-B rejected me after like a week. should i take this as a silent rejection or just hope that they are waiting till after people put their deposits in?

They are waiting for deposits and will be calculating out how many spots they have left. Unfortunately at this point its a waiting game. Don't read too much into the LECOM-B rejection, they have completely different admissions. To give you an idea, I was rejected from LECOM-B the same week I was offered an interview in Erie.

Has anyone recently been accepted to the lecture pathway? I just got my DO recommendation in (about 4 weeks after my interview) and am wondering what the situation is like.

LDP is usually the last to fill up. Its possible they have already offered all the acceptances they can, but that is a dynamic process as deposit deadlines are constantly passing, so seat availability is changing.

Submitted my secondary 12/2. I received an email 12/2 saying they received my secondary. I received an email 12/9 saying that my secondary had been processed and I could check my status on the portal site. I have not heard anything since.
Are there any chances I still may be up for an interview?
Florida resident
3.67c/3.62s/26
Underrepresented minority from a rural underserved area

Its still early. I know people who waited 6 months for an ii.

Current students: do you sense a general attitude among the student body as reflected on the website posted by this banned user? (wehatelecom.com).

I'll be attending lecom-sh in the fall, and I hope not...lol?...

The administration is tough, strict, constantly monitoring you, and there are lots of rules. Beyond that, I like LECOM. Most rules are not any more overbearing than rules in pretty much any job I've ever had.

The education (pre-clinical - which is all I know) is solid and grading tends to be fair enough most of the time (as if pre-clinical grades even matter).

The price is amazing, and it was the least expensive school I applied to. The students are great, and I don't really feel that competitive tension that pre-meds have.

As long as you pass and keep your head down, its really fine. If you don't think you can handle the rules or don't like the idea of having security cameras around you while in school, then you might want to reconsider your school choices.

Occasionally some things with exams are annoying, but unless you are obsessing over it, you complain about it briefly to your friends and then its over. I personally find cold weather more annoying than the rules, but I've worked in the real world before, so I guess I'm used to them.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I posted a few days ago about overnight hosts and I just wanted to let everyone know that LECOM-E's admissions does not organize/or have anything to do with it. Therefore, I would like to post asking for a kind LECOM medical student (preferably female, since I am female lol) or SDNer's who live in Erie and are home for break to possibly host me Jan 9th for my Jan 10th interview? If anyone knows anything or anyone, that would be very helpful. Thanks all, and happy new year!

I have been submitted since 10/31 and my application for Erie is "still under review" should I take this as a silent rejection and move on or should I wait for break to end after Jan 7th or so. I would like to attend this school but it seemed like a long shot from the start. Anyone have any news.

Anyone on the waitlist thought of calling to express interest? Just saw someone did this for lecom Bradenton and got accepted a few days later. I might give it a try but I was wondering if anyone had experience with this tactic!

Received my letter for the alternate list today. I hope it moves!

Stats are:

Interviewed 11/22/13
In state (not that it matters)
3.9 GPA
25 total MCAT, breakdown of 9/6/10.
Worked as a personal care provider for the past 4 years, as well as worked food service in hospitals before that.

Last edited:
Received my letter for the alternate list today. I hope it moves!

Stats are:

In state (not that it matters)
3.9 GPA
25 total MCAT, breakdown of 9/6/10.
Worked as a personal care provider for the past 4 years, as well as worked food service in hospitals before that.

Alternate with those PS & BS Scores?? When did you interview??

Alternate with those PS & BS Scores?? When did you interview??

November 22nd. It took me a few weeks to get my DO letter in.

I suspect they took in a lot of people to begin with, but I also suspect that a lot of people that they had first picked don't have LECOM as their top choice for multiple reasons.

By the way, does anyone happen to have the due dates for deposits?

Last edited:
Waitlisted as well. Interviewed 12/30. Class is full, no deposit is due until you actually get a spot off the waitlist.

I have a spot I'll probably be giving up soon. It's in the DSP pathway though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know where most of the housing is around Lecom or the best places to live?

Does anyone know where most of the housing is around Lecom or the best places to live?

From what I gathered, a lot of students live literally right across the main road or in that general area.

From what I gathered, a lot of students live literally right across the main road or in that general area.

Many people do live in those new complexes there, but they are a bit pricey and also fill up quickly. Many people like it for the proximity to campus, which is definitely a plus. That said there are many places to live all over the place. Some are better than others, but none that I saw were terrible (at least by my standards).

Does anyone happen to know if the portal information will change if I am moved off of the alternate list? Or will I only be informed through mail?

Does anyone happen to know if the portal information will change if I am moved off of the alternate list? Or will I only be informed through mail?
I remember reading last year that someone's portal changed from "we have confirmed your spot on the alternate list....." Back to "the committee has made a decision..." And then the person received acceptance via snail mail. But I don't know if this is typical or true.

I remember reading last year that someone's portal changed from "we have confirmed your spot on the alternate list....." Back to "the committee has made a decision..." And then the person received acceptance via snail mail. But I don't know if this is typical or true.

Aww man... Now I am gonna have to keep looking >.< lol

My portal changed to "a decision has been made on your application" a week and a half ago and I still don't have a letter. Does anybody know if I will be able to get my decision over the phone, or will they make me wait for the letter?

My portal changed to "a decision has been made on your application" a week and a half ago and I still don't have a letter. Does anybody know if I will be able to get my decision over the phone, or will they make me wait for the letter?

Mine changed last week, too. I remember them saying they will not give decisions over the phone, so it looks like we'll just have to wait for our letters. Hopefully we'll both get ours tomorrow!

Sent emails to LECOM about my application but all went unanswered; what gives? My portal just said something to the effect of "Under review" and it's been like that since October 1st!.

Sent emails to LECOM about my application but all went unanswered; what gives? My portal just said something to the effect of "Under review" and it's been like that since October 1st!.
My status went from that to "The committee has not yet made a decision..." about two months ago. I was complete the same time as you... I am still pre interview. I really feel like this process is a toss up sometimes and I have no idea what either of those status mean.

I have had mine say the committee has not made a decision on your application since like August, so I feel everyone's pain

has anyone who interviewed the second week of this month heard back yet? keep checking my mail and have gotten absolutely nothing.

Interviewed 1/9 and received a letter today saying I was wait listed because the class is full. Does anyone know how one can find out where he/she stands on the waitlist (such as a ranking system)?

Last edited:
Interviewed 1/9 and received a letter today saying I was wait listed because the class is full. Does anyone know how one can find out where he/she stands on the waitlist (such as a ranking system)?
Wow, it's not even February and the class is already full?

Wow, it's not even February and the class is already full?

Indeed, but it's likely that the people who were accepted were probably incredibly prepared and have great statistics. I wouldn't be surprised if a quarter of all those accepted don't even end up going there.

Which I do hope is the case since LECOM is my personal top pick. I think the first post I read about the waitlist in was back in late December, so they've been filled for quite some time.

When I interviewed on 1/24 they said the class was only 1/2 full. Just FYI.

Reactions: 1 user

Hm... Why do you reckon they are wait listing then? Are they just holding out for exceptional late candidates?

Hm... Why do you reckon they are wait listing then? Are they just holding out for exceptional late candidates?
It really isn't that late. A lot of schools are still only about half full. Some of those accepted students may be waiting to hear back from MD schools too.

I don't know if they are or are not, that's just what the letter said. I have a hard time believing they'd be misleading (I mean why wouldn't they just say you're waitlisted) but it is also weird that you were told the class was only 1/2 full because that is also what they told us on 1/10. Maybe they don't want people who are interviewing to be discouraged? I'm sure there is a lot of movement (which was stated above). Also, they really could be 1/2 full and simply waitlisting me, who knows. Regardless, I'm just going to keep doing my thing and hope for the best :).

I don't know if they are or are not, that's just what the letter said. I have a hard time believing they'd be misleading (I mean why wouldn't they just say you're waitlisted) but it is also weird that you were told the class was only 1/2 full because that is also what they told us on 1/10. Maybe they don't want people who are interviewing to be discouraged? I'm sure there is a lot of movement (which was stated above). Also, they really could be 1/2 full and simply waitlisting me, who knows. Regardless, I'm just going to keep doing my thing and hope for the best :).

That sure is strange! I really hope they aren't misleading interviewees. I asked the question twice because I had seen the letter comment on here before my interview. But the main admin person was the one that told me they were only about 1/2 full at Erie for lecture based and there were a few spots for the others. No idea about Seton Hill however.

I was wondering since I got my invite several months ago for a late February. hope SH pbl isn't full yet!

That sure is strange! I really hope they aren't misleading interviewees. I asked the question twice because I had seen the letter comment on here before my interview. But the main admin person was the one that told me they were only about 1/2 full at Erie for lecture based and there were a few spots for the others. No idea about Seton Hill however.

I really have no idea what is going on with the admissions department and I have no inside information, but it was really disappointing as a post-bac student already at LECOM to get my waitlist letter and I'm not alone in this, with a lot of people in my program getting waitlisted! Maybe they gave out a lot of acceptances recently and there aren't any spots available at the moment, but hopefully it's only temporary for the waitlisted folks! It's weird as we were told similar things as well, but who knows maybe there's better applicants than myself and other people in my program that have gotten accepted and they're just trying to make us work harder to get our acceptances! Just my take on everything! Good luck to y'all!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they will send the letter (accepted, rejected, waitlist) to our current address or our permanent one? I have 2 addresses: 1 being the one where I live at now and the other is my parent's (for instate tuition purposes), and I'm hoping they don't send it to my parent's!

Damn that is awful. Attending the post bacc only to get waitlisted. What gives!?

I am very confused by all this. When I interviewed in December the class was full! Now many are saying its half full.. It doesn't make sense!

I am very confused by all this. When I interviewed in December the class was full! Now many are saying its half full.. It doesn't make sense!
Perhaps some of the pathways are full at this time, PBL but not LDP, etc.

Reactions: 1 user

I've heard that LECOM does some shady things at times, like when the class begins to fill, they put everyone following a certain point on the waitlist so they have a larger pool to select from at a later date.

I don't know if it's true, but I wish they'd be up front about it, because there is clearly a miscommunication somewhere.

I've heard that LECOM does some shady things at times, like when the class begins to fill, they put everyone following a certain point on the waitlist so they have a larger pool to select from at a later date.

I don't know if it's true, but I wish they'd be up front about it, because there is clearly a miscommunication somewhere.

You just described how almost every admissions committee works. Obviously when the class gets close to full they are going to waitlist more people and be more selective. That is the exact reason why with rolling admissions (like at most med schools) there's an inherent advantage to applying early.

Also, everyone should realize that with med schools, the classes are fluid during the app cycle. They may have offered all the acceptances they can, but if enough people turn it down, don't pay the deposit, or even later get into a school higher on their list, there are suddenly more seats open. This is why say if you interviewed in December right before the traffic deadline for a lot of school deposits, they might have been full (i.e. they handed out all the acceptances they could), but now they have more seats available.

Most MD schools solve this problem by accepting 1.5-2 times the number of applicants for their available seats, however, I was told by one official at another school that some COCA regulations puts a much lower limit on the number of active acceptances DO schools can give out (obviously, I'm not certain about this, its just what I've heard).

Last edited: