Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is not taught at the med school campus, it is taught at another campus in Erie.

Incorrect. It was taught at the Bayfront campus in years past. For the 2013-2014 school year, the program was relocated to the Grandview campus. I currently live in Erie and attended class at the Grandview campus nearly every M-F from September to mid-April. Lastly, please see the attached email from Admissions, dated 7/23/13.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT FOR LECOM POST BAC STUDENTS.pdf
    74.8 KB · Views: 92
Incorrect. It was taught at the Bayfront campus in years past. For the 2013-2014 school year, the program was relocated to the Grandview campus. I currently live in Erie and attended class at the Grandview campus nearly every M-F from September to mid-April. Lastly, please see the attached email from Admissions, dated 7/23/13.

I was wondering what he was talking about. I didn't even know there was ever a separate building, what is its primary use?

I was wondering what he was talking about. I didn't even know there was ever a separate building, what is its primary use?

LECOM owns several buildings throughout Erie. There's the main campus on Grandview, the adjacent LORD corporation building, the wellness center (gym) on Peach, a coffee shop / student center, the Bayfront campus, a biomedical sciences lab (not sure on the location), Millcreek Community Hospital, and they're building a geriatric facility next to Millcreek. There are probably others but I can't recite them all.

The Bayfront campus is home to Erie PBL and has housed the Post-Bacc. If LECOM has another use for it, I don't know it - only drove by it once.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many spots are still left for this year's class? I'm assuming anyone who interviewed recently knows. Thanks!

So glad the rep from the admissions office gave me bogus info when I toured there 2 wks ago. Definitely a worth while use of my time... I am thoroughly unimpressed with the admissions staff/representatives. Not a good first impression..

So glad the rep from the admissions office gave me bogus info when I toured there 2 wks ago. Definitely a worth while use of my time... I am thoroughly unimpressed with the admissions staff/representatives. Not a good first impression..

I understand how you'd be put off by that. Strange that they'd give you inaccurate information.

I have been reading this forum for quite some time but never posted. However, I became increasingly confused today with the admissions process at LECOM and was wondering if anyone could offer some insight.

I interviewed in January and was placed on the waitlist. My LECOM portal updated to reflect that I confirmed a seat on the alternate list. Then, on Monday, my portal finally changed back again to a decision has been made and I will receive a letter within 3o days. Then, today, it changed back to the confirmation on the alternate list! Has anyone ever heard of this happening??? What is going on?? And of course... I haven't received another letter in the mail. Between this and some other correspondence I got from them, I kind of feel like LECOM is really just messing with me...

I'm trying to send an update letter to LECOM but cant find a Dean of Admissions or Director of Admissions to send it to. Who did you guys send the letter to? Thanks guys!

Does anyone know when the admissions committee meets to review wait-listed applicants? Do they meet once a week?

Members don't see this ad :)
E-mailed admissions today giving up my DSP seat. Good luck to those waiting.

Reactions: 1 user
So my admissions status just changed from being on the alternate list to a decision has been made and they are sending me a letter. I am not sure what this means. Does LECOM ever take people off their alternate list to reject them? Or would the only reason this change be due to a possible acceptance? I also noticed that they updated a part of my file that previously said I hadn't completed some required classes and now says I have met all the requirements. Any ideas?

What did you say? I am giving up my PBL seat at Seton Hill not sure what is the protocol for declining.
Just emailed Amy Rowe and basically said after careful consideration, I've decided to give up my seat. Thank you.

Out of curiosity, you were in the postbacc weren't you? Why did you decide to go somewhere else?
Yes, I was. I was asked this question previously and responded various times on the Post-Bacc 2014-2015 thread. You're welcome to look there or send me a message for specifics. I'm currently an alternate for Marian and decided a while ago MUCOM is the school for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I was. I was asked this question previously and responded various times on the Post-Bacc 2014-2015 thread. You're welcome to look there or send me a message for specifics. I'm currently an alternate for Marian and decided a while ago MUCOM is the school for me.

I checked out those posts, very informative, thank you.

I've heard that LECOM can be strange about certain things, so I wasn't surprised about the hygiene or stop sign thing, but I am glad you didn't see anything actually wrong with the school. I've been wanting to go there since my interview.

Did you happen to have classes with Kim Moscatello or Mathew Bateman? They were my interviewers and seemed really cool, was looking forward to seeing the rest of the faculty.

So my admissions status just changed from being on the alternate list to a decision has been made and they are sending me a letter. I am not sure what this means. Does LECOM ever take people off their alternate list to reject them? Or would the only reason this change be due to a possible acceptance? I also noticed that they updated a part of my file that previously said I hadn't completed some required classes and now says I have met all the requirements. Any ideas?

I would consider that good news. When this happened to me, and to multiple other people, it resulted in an acceptance. I can't say anything for sure but it's most likely good news. I also haven't read of this happening to anyone and being denied this early in the cycle.

I don't see why the school would be rejecting you at this point in time when it can simply keep you in the basket for now. You obviously had something admissions was looking for if you were placed on the alternate list. I would assume good news is headed your way if anything.

I checked out those posts, very informative, thank you.

I've heard that LECOM can be strange about certain things, so I wasn't surprised about the hygiene or stop sign thing, but I am glad you didn't see anything actually wrong with the school. I've been wanting to go there since my interview.

Did you happen to have classes with Kim Moscatello or Mathew Bateman? They were my interviewers and seemed really cool, was looking forward to seeing the rest of the faculty.
Nothing too egregious, just wasn't my kind of place. My decision weighed heavily upon how impressed I am with MUCOM and less on how underwhelmed I was with LECOM. Likewise, my decision was influenced significantly by the prospect of living and training in Indianapolis v. Erie.

I don't recognize the name Moscatello but Dr. Bateman taught a few introductory anatomy courses. His presentations were straightforward and he didn't waste any time. On that note, I don't have anything negative to say about the entire anatomy department. They were great. However, the lab (which I had minimal exposure to) was downright dingy. Then again, I've only seen two anatomy labs - the other being MUCOM's (fantastic).

Do you have to reapply to the LECOM medical school to be accepted after the post-bacc?

I'm pretty sure every post-bac program requires you to apply the proper way (i.e. through AACOMAS) regardless of whether or not they'd treat your app differently because you're in the post-bac (e.g. if they interview all post-bacs at one specific time for example).

Who did you address your letter to? The admissions committee?
So, I called on Friday to make sure that they had received my LOI. I spoke with Lisa Kalivoda and she said that it hadn't been received. She told me to email her directly because the admissions email gets filled with questions and such. Her email is [email protected]. I would call and see if they received it yet or not. If they haven't, send it to Lisa's email.

So, I called on Friday to make sure that they had received my LOI. I spoke with Lisa Kalivoda and she said that it hadn't been received. She told me to email her directly because the admissions email gets filled with questions and such. Her email is [email protected]. I would call and see if they received it yet or not. If they haven't, send it to Lisa's email.

Obviously it wouldn't hurt, but do you think it's worth sending a letter of intent? I am currently on the alternate list waiting patiently and was looking for some advice. I don't have any experience with a letter of intent so any help would be great! Thank you in advance!

Obviously it wouldn't hurt, but do you think it's worth sending a letter of intent? I am currently on the alternate list waiting patiently and was looking for some advice. I don't have any experience with a letter of intent so any help would be great! Thank you in advance!

As a fellow alternate listee, I think it is worth it (at least I hope it is). Like you, I had no experience writing one, so I found this link very helpful: http://prospectivedoctor.com/articles/item/150-how-to-write-a-letter-of-intent . The TL;DR version is that you are writing them to show your genuine interest in the school. Be straightforward and to the point. State who you are and what you're writing for. It also is nice to mention the other things that you have been doing since submitting your application. Anywho, good luck and may your wait list experience be shorter because of your letter. You got this.

As a fellow alternate listee, I think it is worth it (at least I hope it is). Like you, I had no experience writing one, so I found this link very helpful: http://prospectivedoctor.com/articles/item/150-how-to-write-a-letter-of-intent . The TL;DR version is that you are writing them to show your genuine interest in the school. Be straightforward and to the point. State who you are and what you're writing for. It also is nice to mention the other things that you have been doing since submitting your application. Anywho, good luck and may your wait list experience be shorter because of your letter. You got this.

Thank you very much!

anyone know if lecom gives partial refunds for deposits? should i just call and ask? I don't want to sound rude by asking.

Did anyone else on the alternate/waitlist get an email from admissions yesterday (5/13) with the matriculation packet?

Did anyone else on the alternate/waitlist get an email from admissions yesterday (5/13) with the matriculation packet?

I got that email last week and my admissions status changed to 'the admissions committee has made a decision on your file, you should be receiving a letter in 30 days' on Monday, you'll probably be getting your acceptance letter soon :)

Reactions: 1 users
anyone know if lecom gives partial refunds for deposits? should i just call and ask? I don't want to sound rude by asking.

Most DO schools don't and I would be really surprised if LECOM did. Even MD schools don't after a certain date (I think its already passed).

You could always ask, what's the worst that could happen? Even if they take it rudely, its not like they'd do anything about it. I'm sure people ask all the time.

You are probably in!

Hoping for some big movement on the alternate list!!!! fingers crossed.

hanz504- I hear you! Hoping for some big movement in the coming days and weeks.

For those that were recently extended an admissions offer from the alternate list, what learning pathway were you accepted to? Was this what you listed as your top choice at the interview? (I picked PBL-E and PBL-SH as my first and second choice, respectively; I think I had LDP at the bottom).

I was also curious if anyone has any idea how many people LECOM places on the alternate list.

Thanks!

just reminding everyone to check their spam section of their gmail/mailbox. their may be an email from admissions hiding in there

just reminding everyone to check their spam section of their gmail/mailbox. their may be an email from admissions hiding in there

Tell them to send me one! I'm trying to wait patiently ! Lol

hanz504- I hear you! Hoping for some big movement in the coming days and weeks.

For those that were recently extended an admissions offer from the alternate list, what learning pathway were you accepted to? Was this what you listed as your top choice at the interview? (I picked PBL-E and PBL-SH as my first and second choice, respectively; I think I had LDP at the bottom).

I was also curious if anyone has any idea how many people LECOM places on the alternate list.

Thanks!

I interviewed at Seton Hill and wasn't given a preference list!?!?! I'm going to need to make a phone call.

I interviewed at Seton Hill and wasn't given a preference list!?!?! I'm going to need to make a phone call.

Hey hanz,

At the erie interview we had to rank the pathways in order we preferred; they included LDP, DSP, PBL-erie and PBL-seton hill - you'd be fine with just emailing either Amy Rowe ([email protected]) or Lisa Kalidova ([email protected]) with your list and they'll update your file with your preferences

Should I write my LOI to Amy Rowe? Can anyone verify or correct me if I am wrong? Please and thank you!

Should I write my LOI to Amy Rowe? Can anyone verify or correct me if I am wrong? Please and thank you!

I addressed mine to the admissions committee - but yeah, you can send it to her or Lisa

Hey hanz,

At the erie interview we had to rank the pathways in order we preferred; they included LDP, DSP, PBL-erie and PBL-seton hill - you'd be fine with just emailing either Amy Rowe ([email protected]) or Lisa Kalidova ([email protected]) with your list and they'll update your file with your preferences

thanks, I think I got lost in the mix!

Last edited:
Anyone else on the alternate list get an email from David Fried asking to confirm that you still wanted to be on the alternate list? Just wondering if this means there will be more movement from the list in the near future.

Anyone else on the alternate list get an email from David Fried asking to confirm that you still wanted to be on the alternate list? Just wondering if this means there will be more movement from the list in the near future.

Yes, it's good that they are removing people from the list who do not care to be on it. I suspect that they will be having a deadline for the matriculation fee soon as well, which will remove even more people from the selection pool.

There will most certainly be movement in the near future as people pick their top schools and unwanted acceptances get declined. How much, I don't think anyone can say.