Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those that interviewed in august and September were forced to choose either early decision(decision by sept 30th) or regular decsison( decision mid November) deposit is due 30 days from acceptance so those who "deffered to December" chose regular decision and had a deposit due by December 15th

Ah okay, so that doesn't affect me then. Thanks Hippocrates.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I missed early decision by 10 days. So mad because I don't want to wait! Haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I missed early decision by 10 days. So mad because I don't want to wait! Haha

I know it's a shame. I want this process to end. I'm really interested in this school and would love to go here. I interview in 2 weeks. So I take it we should hear back in November? Also, does anyone know how many seats they still have available for next year? I noticed in last year's thread people mentioning that they were interviewed but then waitlisted because the class was already full when they interviewed.

I know it's a shame. I want this process to end. I'm really interested in this school and would love to go here. I interview in 2 weeks. So I take it we should hear back in November? Also, does anyone know how many seats they still have available for next year? I noticed in last year's thread people mentioning that they were interviewed but then waitlisted because the class was already full when they interviewed.
November 17 IIRC was the date they said they would let the rest of the interviewees know their statuses.

I think they aim for a full class in the fall and many of those students will choose to go to other schools therefore the class may "be full" but spots will most definitely open up throughout the cycle

Are there release dates next to your applications in AACOMAS? They may not have been released last Tuesday if it was verified after the time they were released. If there are no dates your app is being released this Tuesday and then you can expect secondaries to roll in!
Ah, sadly, it just says "Submitted to AACOMAS" next to all of my schools.

my application has been complete since august 21st and it is still under review. and for the bradenton it is "your application has been processed and will be sent to the admissions committee. you will be notified when a decision has been made"

should i be worried that it's taking longer than a month?

Do they send an email after receiving matriculation deposit ? I'm not sending a personal check.

@Promethean

Last edited:
II !!! First one !! SO excited! Got it in lecture- was about to flip ****!!

Reactions: 5 users
Anybody hear back yet who interviewed on 9/26? I've had the portal change saying that a decision has been made for about 6 days now.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least it's not just me then. Would love to hear by the end of this week.
yeah im the same i just checked the mail and nothing i thought it was today for sure but the wait goes on. =)

Did they say you all still adhered to the September 30 deadline for "early decision" even though you interviewed on the 26th?

Did they say you all still adhered to the September 30 deadline for "early decision" even though you interviewed on the 26th?

I assume so. We had to confirm whether or not we wanted to opt for early decision.

Withdrawn acceptance

Good luck you guys!

Reactions: 2 users
Guys, I have a question. So my supplemental application has been processed and I have been under review since 7/15. I know that they can be backed up but this is ridiculous. I've tried to call their number that I found online but it never actually goes through and makes this weird dial up noise. Does anyone know whats going on or what their number is?

Hey guys, I am flying in to the PA location. whats a hotel to stay in to lower the cost cab/shuttle from airport?

Another question, is there a place at the admissions office where students can leave their luggage?

Do they send an email after receiving matriculation deposit ? I'm not sending a personal check.

@Promethean
yes, confirmed that they received it and to look for forthcoming matriculation papers and financial aid information which should be coming in December. Indicated also directives of going on portal and supplying vaccination information and if you would like to participate in "room mate" matching. I sent my fee on Thursday, certified, return receipt and personal check. LECOM received it today (Tuesday) morning and I received the email this afternoon. I am in Northeastern Pa.

Already answered, but I got an email the day after I mailed it. I did send a personal check.

Yes, you can leave your luggage in an office on the first floor at LECOM. When you first come in, there is a little room they have you go to. You will be joined by a half dozen other folks and think... oh, this must be everyone. I thought there would be more of us. Then you realize that there is far more luggage in that room than makes sense for the number of people there. Then, after a few minutes, they lead you upstairs to a larger room with many more people in it, and it all makes sense.

Guys, I have a question. So my supplemental application has been processed and I have been under review since 7/15. I know that they can be backed up but this is ridiculous. I've tried to call their number that I found online but it never actually goes through and makes this weird dial up noise. Does anyone know whats going on or what their number is?

Call 814-866-6641 and say "My name is ___ and I an applicant for this years cycle. Could I please speak with someone from the admissions" I always got in contact with them by doing this.

I think that is a little inaccurate/out of date. Currently, LECOM is ranked 51 in primary care (not 62 - I think only 2 DO schools are ranked above them, MSUCOM and TCOM).

The app numbers are also inflated. According to AACOM for 2014, there were 7,612 applicants to LECOM, not >10k (maybe if you include the pharmacy school). It's still a lot, bit even in the DO world the number of applicants to LECOM is 2nd to PCOM that had 8,235 applicants.

Call 814-866-6641 and say "My name is ___ and I an applicant for this years cycle. Could I please speak with someone from the admissions" I always got in contact with them by doing this.
Hey, thanks. I called and left a message yesterday and I received an interview invite today! For anyone who has been waiting to hear back from a school, don't be afraid to call them or shoot them an email. I did the same thing with PNWU and was offered an interview basically on the spot! Most schools are backed up but usually willing to help out. Good luck to everyone!

Hey, thanks. I called and left a message yesterday and I received an interview invite today! For anyone who has been waiting to hear back from a school, don't be afraid to call them or shoot them an email. I did the same thing with PNWU and was offered an interview basically on the spot! Most schools are backed up but usually willing to help out. Good luck to everyone!
Good luck with your interview! I'm still waiting for a secondary invitation. :shrug:

Hey guys, I am flying in to the PA location. whats a hotel to stay in to lower the cost cab/shuttle from airport?
There's a Fairfield Inn that's 100/night right near LECOM.

Did you opt for early decision? If not, you won't be hearing til November.

Yea, I chose the early decision option. I even called the LECOM's admissions office on Sept 30th...and the lady confirmed that I did opt for early decision. I am not sure what is going on. My portal status changed to "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days" on last Thursday (10/02/2014).

Just received my first II of the cycle from Erie. Complete 10/6, wasn't expecting to hear so soon. Interviewing 11/21, super excited!

Reactions: 3 users
Just received my first II of the cycle from Erie. Complete 10/6, wasn't expecting to hear so soon. Interviewing 11/21, super excited!
Me too! I just received by first II of the cycle. Complete 9/9. Interviewing 11/21 as well. :)

Reactions: 3 users
I got an interview too, but I don't have a DO letter. Do I absolutely need one before I go? I probably will pick Dec 5th because it's about 100 dollars cheaper to fly later.

I got an interview too, but I don't have a DO letter. Do I absolutely need one before I go? I probably will pick Dec 5th because it's about 100 dollars cheaper to fly later.

Last edited:
If you don't have a DO letter, I hope you've at least shadowed a DO. They're likely to ask, "why DO", and you should have experience to back up that answer.

During my interview, the guy [forgot his name] had a list of all the interviewers, all the documents they received and what they didn't receive. Students were asking him and confirming if he received their DO letters or not. If he didn't have it, he would tell the student to send them in asap. So -- I could be wrong but I don't think you absolutely need the DO letters before the interview, but you need to send them one ASAP even if it's after the interview. Call the admissions or check/confirm with others though.

If you don't have a DO letter, I hope you've at least shadowed a DO. They're likely to ask, "why DO", and you should have experience to back up that answer.

Second that! They absolutely like asking that.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope. I haven't shadowed a D.O. I wouldn't mind shadowing one, just don't know if I can get a letter that quickly. And I sorta feel awkward about asking something from a stranger. Like hey I just met you, but I need this ASAP. :S

It's not necessarily asking something from a stranger. They understand the trials and tribulations of getting into med school. You just have to explain to them that the letter is a requirement and that you understand how busy their schedule is. I shadowed one DO, and he was more than happy to write me a letter.

Reactions: 1 users
It seems like they are accepting letters and loose ends after interviews, which is good for me because the DO writing my letter hasn't uploaded it to Interfolio yet and I interview tomorrow!