Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Aww thank you very much. You were definitely the strongest! Your elegance and poise inspires me :D Keep going strong. You're gonna do fabulously everywhere you go!
Aww Thank you so much! That is incredibly kind!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am interviewing this Friday and as of just now, none of my letters have been marked as received yet..should I be worried & should i call the office?

Nah, don't panic. You can interview even if they haven't gotten your letters.

I am interviewing this Friday and as of just now, none of my letters have been marked as received yet..should I be worried & should i call the office?
You have an opportunity at the end of the interview to speak with Lisa Kalivoda or someone else in admissions to see what you are missing from your file. They didn't mark my letters as received until Tuesday before my Friday interview. My DO letter was actually submitted after my interview and Lisa said that was fine. However, the sooner you get them in, the sooner your file goes to the committee!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if anyone wants a note service, it isn't hard to organize one. Set up sharing on some google docs and let people who are interested upload their notes. You can get a free app that lets you take photos of pages with your phone that turns them into PDFs. Share the PDFs labelled with the name of the course, the date, and the note taker's initials. You could ask each person who wants access to commit to taking notes for certain lecture periods each week.

The current PBL class of 2018 has set up a google docs repository for their e-books & cases. (I find things.) So, it can't be that hard. As we get closer to starting and have a better idea of who is going to be in our class, we can put something together.

Something like that could even be passed on to future classes.
I wish you were in LDP! You would've been a great person to know and study with !

Reactions: 1 users
I wish you were in LDP! You would've been a great person to know and study with !
Are you for sure going to LECOM? If I get into LDP, I had planned on doing a small study group with Google docs, sharing notes, study guides, mock exam questions, etc. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but just saying! Haha

Are you for sure going to LECOM? If I get into LDP, I had planned on doing a small study group with Google docs, sharing notes, study guides, mock exam questions, etc. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but just saying! Haha
I am pretty certain! I have other interviews but I will not be attendinf cause LECOM is higher on my list and only two schools are higher than LECOM but I haven't heard peeps from those. But I have a feeling it is going to be LECOM. Would love to work with you! I hope you hear back soon!

Thank you! I feel the same way about a lot of folks here! Well, we will be together to start.
Yes we will! Ww can study anatomy together haha

Nah, don't panic. You can interview even if they haven't gotten your letters.

You have an opportunity at the end of the interview to speak with Lisa Kalivoda or someone else in admissions to see what you are missing from your file. They didn't mark my letters as received until Tuesday before my Friday interview. My DO letter was actually submitted after my interview and Lisa said that was fine. However, the sooner you get them in, the sooner your file goes to the committee!

Thank you!!! Ill keep checking the portal in the meantime.

Hey guys, I submitted my secondary a few days ago and the portal shows all red X's. I'm probably jumpin' the gun by asking, but is it normal for the portal to show that nothing has been received? I even got an email saying "your application was processed" and my status is "under review". I feel a bit paranoid! :unsure:

Last edited:
Read the thread. This issue as been discussed multiple times but it is likely at Erie your items won't be marked received until about a week before your interview if invited. Good luck.

Read the thread. This issue as been discussed multiple times but it is likely at Erie your items won't be marked received until about a week before your interview if invited. Good luck.
Not everyone has time to read through 20 pages of posts so I don't mind answering again, but yes... It took them til the interview week to mark things as received :)

Reactions: 2 users
I am pretty certain! I have other interviews but I will not be attendinf cause LECOM is higher on my list and only two schools are higher than LECOM but I haven't heard peeps from those. But I have a feeling it is going to be LECOM. Would love to work with you! I hope you hear back soon!

Yes we will! Ww can study anatomy together haha
Count me in on study groups :hardy:

Count me in on study groups :hardy:
I would also be interested. A relative of mine who went to PCOM years ago said note service was essential for him throughout med school. Only one person in his class would not pay for the service and he struggled at times. I can not believe that LECOM does not have it and lectures are not recorded!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also be interested. A relative of mine who went to PCOM years ago said note service was essential for him throughout med school. Only one person in his class would not pay for the service and he struggled at times. I can not believe that LECOM does not have it and lectures are not recorded!

How long does LECOM take to send the admission letter after the interview. May be people who have received can let us know how long it took after the interview.

How long does LECOM take to send the admission letter after the interview. May be people who have received can let us know how long it took after the interview.
A lot of people who interviewed earlier in the cycle wanted early decision so they received their letter by Sept 30. I was told that we would not be notified til Mid-November if we interviewed in October.

A lot of people who interviewed earlier in the cycle wanted early decision so they received their letter by Sept 30. I was told that we would not be notified til Mid-November if we interviewed in October.
Thanks

II! I was wondering though, I chose Seton Hill as my first choice, is it still possible to be admitted to Seton Hill? Thanks!

II! I was wondering though, I chose Seton Hill as my first choice, is it still possible to be admitted to Seton Hill? Thanks!
Congrats! Yes, totally possible. You have the option to choose SH as your campus even though you interview in Erie. I would also call the people at Seton Hill- I think they include an attachment in your II email with info on it!

Did you guys get a confirmation email after you scheduled your interview online?

Did you guys get a confirmation email after you scheduled your interview online?
Yes, I did but it took a day or two. Their email system is slow. For example, I saw on portal that I got invited for an interview (yes I was looking every hour for a week, hehe) and didn't get an email til 3 days later!

Okay thanks because I just scrambled and bought my plane ticket and hotel room but never checked to see if I got a confirmation email for the interview in all the excitement lol

So just to alleviate my nerves, this is what my portal should look like?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 2.32.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 2.32.29 PM.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 95
Do you know if the class is already filled up? The reason I'm thinking of applying this late because I receieved an invitation email from Debbie Bisbee for LECOM. That caught me by surprised and I'm hesitating because this is really late in the cycle.
And who is she? And what did the email say?

It wouldn't hurt to apply. I doubt the class is full already. Good luck!

In the email, she has herself as the admission recruiter. This is what she wrote:

I am contacting you because of your interest in entering the medical profession. If you have not yet done so, I encourage you to learn more about Osteopathic Medicine, the only American-born and fastest-growing form of medicine in the country.

I would also consider LECOM (Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine) for your medical education (http://lecom.edu). The largest medical school in the nation, LECOM boasts one of the lowest tuition rates among all private medical schools, and LECOM students enjoy among the highest board exam pass rates in the nation. LECOM offers a great education at a reasonable cost, and supplies help if/when you need it. We are dedicated to your success not only as a medical student, but as a future physician as well.

If you would like to view an electronic version of our magazine, the LECOM Connection, you may find it at http://lecom.edu/news_connection.php. For additional information, search for LECOM in the Apple App Store on your iPhone or iPad or download the LECOM app through Google play on your Android smartphone or tablet.

Here are a few facts about LECOM of which you may not be aware:

LECOM…

…is the largest medical school in the countrywith three campuses/sites available in Erie and Greensburg, PA and Bradenton, FL

…consistently ranks among the top colleges in the nation in graduating primary care physicians

…has pass rates on the COMLEX step I exam that are among the top in the nation (an average of 99% across all campuses, with our Seton Hill site achieving 100% this year!)

…is the onlyosteopathic medical school in the country that owns its own teaching hospital in Erie

…is a member of the Lake Erie Consortium of Osteopathic Medical training (LECOMT), a group of 30+ hospitals offering over 1100 residency, internship and fellowship opportunities to our graduates

Feel free to contact me with any questions you might have; I wish you the best in your medical education and in the future.

Apply asap! If you haven't submitted your primaries yet, it will take about 6 weeks and a couple days after that, you should receive the LECOM secondaries. Their secondaries are very easy and don't have any essays so the turn-around for submissions should be quick! Just make sure you have or are planning to have a DO letter of rec since that is required.

GL!

Thank you, do you have any tip on how to get a DO letter of recommendation? I'll shadow one for 20 to 30 hours, but I don't know if that is good enough to ask them for a letter.
That is more than enough. I suggest providing them with your personal statement and CV, as well as any other information that might be important like scores and GPA.

Thank you! I was wondering, is there an estimate figure of the interview/acceptance ratio? Thanks again!

Congrats! Yes, totally possible. You have the option to choose SH as your campus even though you interview in Erie. I would also call the people at Seton Hill- I think they include an attachment in your II email with info on it!

Thank you, do you have any tip on how to get a DO letter of recommendation? I'll shadow one for 20 to 30 hours, but I don't know if that is good enough to ask them for a letter.

That's fine. At LECOM the DO letter is more to demonstrate you're actually interested in the DO profession. Even a generic good letter is usually enough for this.

Thank you! I was wondering, is there an estimate figure of the interview/acceptance ratio? Thanks again!

Best estimates are somewhere from 33%-50% acceptance rate for interviewees.

That is more than enough and I think if you explain to the doctor you are shadowing that school is requiring you in order to pursue you DO degree, they would definitely understand. It may be also good to have a short meeting with him/her and just chat about your goal that way they have a better idea of what to write. Personal statement and CV are always beneficial as well. Make sure you start this early and continually remind them and give them a realistic deadline to turn it in.

That is more than enough from my experience. I have never met a DO than I did not like and found them more than willing to help medical applicants. Do exactly what was suggested on the site. Give them your history, copy your personal statement, college credentials etc. Good luck.

Is it possible to send these questions to me too? or maybe post them in the thread for all to see?
The other poster was asking if they could bounce interview questions off me. If you want to, PM me!

Hi, is it too late to apply here if I submit the primary application today?

I have a friend who applied in Late October/early November. He received an interview in January and got wait-listed in February. He eventually got in a few days before classes began. So, I would definitely say that it's not too late to apply right now.

Got an II today and I went to schedule it but it looks like the first available date is December 5th, does that sound right or am I doing something wrong?

Just got mine today as well. My earliest available date is also the 5th. Probably just what they have available right now.

Got an II today and I went to schedule it but it looks like the first available date is December 5th, does that sound right or am I doing something wrong?
Sounds about right. They have been sending a lot out around this time.

Just got mine today as well. My earliest available date is also the 5th. Probably just what they have available right now.
Usually the month is full when you get your interview. Even early on, I got my interview early (first week) August and earliest date was in September. No worries.

Anyone schedule their interview for 11/20? If so, did you guys ever get a confirmation email? I made the schedule two days ago and got nothing. Also, for those from other states, which airport are you flying into? Cleveland is way cheaper than the Erie airport so I'm just planning on making the drive out. Thanks!

Anyone schedule their interview for 11/20? If so, did you guys ever get a confirmation email? I made the schedule two days ago and got nothing. Also, for those from other states, which airport are you flying into? Cleveland is way cheaper than the Erie airport so I'm just planning on making the drive out. Thanks!
It took a couple days to get the confirmation e-mail. Their system is very slow. As long as it shows up as scheduled on your portal, you're good! I'd say Cleveland is the best bet. Erie flights are so expensive because it's a fairly small town and a little regional airport.

Anyone interviewing on 11/14?

Last edited:
Interview on 10/31 - anyone have any hotel recommendations? Thanks. BTW, I am flying into Pittsburgh, then driving to Erie - I think it is about 3 hours.

Interview on 10/31 - anyone have any hotel recommendations? Thanks. BTW, I am flying into Pittsburgh, then driving to Erie - I think it is about 3 hours.
2 hours :) and it's a beautiful drive this time of year!