Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Maruko!

I have saved my seat at BCOM, and if none of my other interviews pan out the way I like, then I will happily attend BCOM. I am waiting to hear back from a couple other schools before I make my final decision. But for now, I actually don't see myself attending LECOM and I hope it goes to somebody who really needs it. I know this process is a rollercoaster of emotions so I'm just doing my part to give somebody else a chance. Good luck to whomever gets my interview and you deserve it!

Ouch...did that $3000 deposit hurt?

Members don't see this ad.

Meh dont worry. I didn't. It would have been nice, but whole-heartedly not necessary imo.
I'd like to send a quick thank you e-mail but at this point to me it would show that A.) I forgot and B.) I'm trying to suck up but then again I'm not sure.

Ouch...did that $3000 deposit hurt?

Not at all. The peace of mind was worth it to me and my family. Plus, it counted as an early bday present from the fambam. No complaints!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I already finished my interviews from both LECOMs. I was in the first interview group for both schools.
Oh nice! Congrats! I was just wondering because I have similar stats to you (510+/3.7+) and also fantastic ECs, publications, and years of healthcare experience. I finally called admissions at both campuses and they said the process can be kind of random and that my application probably hasn't been seen by anyone yet. It's been almost a month since I submitted my secondaries!

I noticed several people have been getting text updates regarding their application, such as under review. I submitted July 7th and have not recieved any texts. Should i be concerned? My status online says under review
When I called, they did say there were plenty of applications from July that haven't been reviewed yet. I called both Erie and Bradenton because I'm still under review at Erie (since early August) and not yet under review at Bradenton. Each campus told me it doesn't mean anything other than that they haven't opened my application yet. So I guess we just have to be patient!

Oh nice! Congrats! I was just wondering because I have similar stats to you (510+/3.7+) and also fantastic ECs, publications, and years of healthcare experience. I finally called admissions at both campuses and they said the process can be kind of random and that my application probably hasn't been seen by anyone yet. It's been almost a month since I submitted my secondaries!

That is weird. I got a II five hours after I submitted my secondary from LECOM-Erie and then a II from Bradenton during my Erie Interview on July 17th, which was just over a week after I submitted my secondary there.

That is weird. I got a II five hours after I submitted my secondary from LECOM-Erie and then a II from Bradenton during my Erie Interview on July 17th, which was just over a week after I submitted my secondary there.
That's why I called. It seemed like people with 3.6+/30 or 508+ have been getting IIs within hours or days of submitting...

Interviews after December/January means you're most likely interviewing for waitlist spots. There won't be as many spots available for adcoms anymore so they start taking in those with better stats.

It is true that there are fewer seats to go around at that time, but schools typically end up accepting about twice as many students as actually decide to attend, since many will have multiple acceptances. Since the cycle is also long at other DO schools (that is, the same pressures are at work there, too) your assumption doesn't work out in practice. I can name a few people with perfectly average DO stats who weren't accepted until later on in the cycle.

Not to say that I would wait around just for fun!

For my fellow people who have been interviewed (mine being on 8/14) did you send thank you notes or e-mails to your interviewers afterwards? The thought never really crossed my mind since it was a group interview and all we were given were our interviewers names, but some people say you should and other say it doesn't matter? Also if I did, I'm afraid too much time has passed in between.

I wouldn't do it. I figured that they meet a TON of people, a new set every week. It won't help you, and it just adds to their pile of mail to open. If you have a particular reason to thank a particular person, that is different. But if it is just for doing their job... well, I hope you gave them a hearty and sincere thank you when you shook their hands after the interview. That would have counted for more than any card you could send now.

If this is true, does this mean that if you get offered the interview, then you won't have issues stats wise? I'm just worried because I only have a 25 mcat and it seems like the average is much higher. I'm hoping it doesn't keep me out, even with a good interview.

Look... an average is just that. Half of the students admitted will have below average scores, so that alone isn't going to hurt you. Be less worried, relax, and interview well.

Getting an interview here DOESN'T mean you are in. It means that you have a real chance, and if you can just be a friendly person who communicates pleasantly with others, you will probably get the seat. Some schools don't screen... they do invite just about everyone for an interview. Ask Goro about how he feel about that.

LECOM does pre-screen. If you get an invite, it means they like you and want to meet you. I think a good interview here is really meaningful... and a good interview is one where you are relaxed and professional throughout.

Reactions: 2 users
It is true that there are fewer seats to go around at that time, but schools typically end up accepting about twice as many students as actually decide to attend, since many will have multiple acceptances. Since the cycle is also long at other DO schools (that is, the same pressures are at work there, too) your assumption doesn't work out in practice. I can name a few people with perfectly average DO stats who weren't accepted until later on in the cycle.

Not to say that I would wait around just for fun!

I wouldn't do it. I figured that they meet a TON of people, a new set every week. It won't help you, and it just adds to their pile of mail to open. If you have a particular reason to thank a particular person, that is different. But if it is just for doing their job... well, I hope you gave them a hearty and sincere thank you when you shook their hands after the interview. That would have counted for more than any card you could send now.

Look... an average is just that. Half of the students admitted will have below average scores, so that alone isn't going to hurt you. Be less worried, relax, and interview well.

Getting an interview here DOESN'T mean you are in. It means that you have a real chance, and if you can just be a friendly person who communicates pleasantly with others, you will probably get the seat. Some schools don't screen... they do invite just about everyone for an interview. Ask Goro about how he feel about that.

LECOM does pre-screen. If you get an invite, it means they like you and want to meet you. I think a good interview here is really meaningful... and a good interview is one where you are relaxed and professional throughout.

Thank you for the reply! I hadn't planned on doing them anyways because they were group interviews and there were two interviewees, so it didn't seem to make much sense to send thank you letters or e-mails. Plus I feel like I've already missed the window anyways.

For the record, I sent email thank you letters and just did a quick follow up- one of the interviewers and I shared a common life experience, and I wanted to highlight that again and add in a few relevant questions. I went to this faculty member's office the other day- still worked off that connection!

Reactions: 2 users
That's why I called. It seemed like people with 3.6+/30 or 508+ have been getting IIs within hours or days of submitting...

This is so good to know because I was complete since July 21st and was thinking I was already rejected since I didn't hear back. It seemed like people were hearing back within 2 weeks...

First of all there is no way that they already know who they are going to accept before the interview. That's just a ridiculous concept and I'm not sure where anyone got that from. They may have a very good idea of which students they would like to accept based on their application and stats. That being said, they have no idea who you actually are until they meet you and see if you can even hold a conversation with them. I firmly believe that every single person that interviews has a chance of being accepted. It's not as simple as your making it. The interview is a big piece of the puzzle and their only opportunity to get to know you. The reason it is 50:50 is because everyone is qualified academically and then they take the information they get at interview time and weigh all factors to decide who is getting an acceptance.

This is pretty accurate, as far as I know-- for LECOM and probably for all schools, for what it's worth. If you get an interview invitation, that means they think your numbers are good enough, but you do still have to impress them in the interview. For those of you interviewing at Seton Hill, they especially want to see you in a group dynamic, which is why you have a group interview. If you get the invitation you definitely have a shot, but it's not a guarantee. Obviously, the numbers game changes depending on availability throughout the cycle, but they're never going to interview someone they wouldn't consider accepting.

Reactions: 1 users
I received an ii back in July with a 24 MCAT. This one test score isn't everything, it's just a stepping stone. Take it and apply. I'm supposed to be there Sept. 4th but have cancelled my ii so whoever gets it, get accepted and have fun!!

Members don't see this ad :)
For my fellow people who have been interviewed (mine being on 8/14) did you send thank you notes or e-mails to your interviewers afterwards? The thought never really crossed my mind since it was a group interview and all we were given were our interviewers names, but some people say you should and other say it doesn't matter? Also if I did, I'm afraid too much time has passed in between.

I interviewed at Seton Hill and did not send a thank you letter. Did it hurt me? I don't think so, as I was still accepted. Does it help? I am unsure. I know, at least at Seton Hill, some professors explicitly told those interviewing that they do not need a thank you letter. Partly because the decision will have been made prior to them receiving the thank you letters.

I interviewed at Seton Hill and did not send a thank you letter. Did it hurt me? I don't think so, as I was still accepted. Does it help? I am unsure. I know, at least at Seton Hill, some professors explicitly told those interviewing that they do not need a thank you letter. Partly because the decision will have been made prior to them receiving the thank you letters.

How long after interviewing were you accepted?

The committee typically meets before USPS could get a letter to them. Thank you notes are a nice and fairly normal gesture, but definitely not a necessity.

I received an ii back in July with a 24 MCAT. This one test score isn't everything, it's just a stepping stone. Take it and apply. I'm supposed to be there Sept. 4th but have cancelled my ii so whoever gets it, get accepted and have fun!!
What was your gpa if you dont mind me asking?

Anyone else interviewing this Friday?

II this morning. Scheduled for Oct. 30th.

New to this thread... so from the looks of it LECOM does not have a secondary?

next Friday for me but good luck guys let us know how it goes!!!!

I am currently under review here, how long did it take you guys to get an II?

So as I understand it, if we chose regular decision on interview day we would hear "Some time after November 15th." Did anyone get clarification on this. Does that mean that they mail the decision on the 15th or that it could be any time after the 15th?

I am currently under review here, how long did it take you guys to get an II?
8 days for me

Anyone know what airport to fly into, and whether we have to find our own way to the campus if we stay at one of the hotels they suggested or if they have a shuttle?

8 days for me

Anyone know what airport to fly into, and whether we have to find our own way to the campus if we stay at one of the hotels they suggested or if they have a shuttle?

I would suggest flying into Cleveland and renting a car. The drive is about 1.5 hours. Even if there was a shuttle I would say to have a car because the interview is real early in the morning.

I would suggest flying into Cleveland and renting a car. The drive is about 1.5 hours. Even if there was a shuttle I would say to have a car because the interview is real early in the morning.
Thanks, but I'm not old enough to rent a car yet. It's also cheaper for me to fly into Erie than Cleveland. Are taxi's readily available?

Thanks, but I'm not old enough to rent a car yet. It's also cheaper for me to fly into Erie than Cleveland. Are taxi's readily available?
How old are you? If you sign up for a usaa membership (it's free) you can rent a car without the under 25 fee.

How long after people interviewed were you accepted? Like a month?

How long after people interviewed were you accepted? Like a month?

Interviewed aug 3 and haven't heard back yet....I keep hearing with the first batch of acceptances that they wont go out till late sept early oct.

It was good to see the interviewees touring today. I hope all your interviews went well and got a good feel for the campus.

How long after interviewing were you accepted?

They made a decision within 30days of my interview, however they postmarked my letter like at least a week after the decision was made/letter was dated. So i received it late and had little time to make a decision. Keep in mind, I interviewed later in the cycle. I am unsure how early decision goes.

Again, I wish everyone the best on their applications this cycle.

8 days for me

I flew into the Erie airport. The interview invite email that LECOM sends you has a list of hotels owned by "Scott Enterprises". All of those hotels provide a shuttle from the airport, to the airport, to the interview and from the interview. Those hotels also have a discounted rate for LECOM interviewees.

Ground transportation in Erie isn't as great as in bigger cities, but there are cabs and Uber. The shuttle service seemed to work well for many people when I interviewed.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Solid advice, but USAA is only available to people with a military affiliation or whose parents/spouses are already members.

Actually it's open to all. Only certain benefits are reserved for those with a military affiliation.

I'm interviewing 9/11 too! Do you know where you guys are staying?
Yeah I called the Marriot Residence Inn and told them I was interviewing at LECOM. If you do that the room goes from $110 down to $89 just make sure you call and book it. Their are much cheaper motels and hotels but I would not insist going cheap on a room the night before your med school interview, would hate to have bed bugs crawling all over you the next day lol.