Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone offer any pros and cons with the school after having interviewed?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone offer any pros and cons with the school after having interviewed?

Pros:

Brand new facilities with dedicated anatomy building, which gives it a 'college campus' feel.
Faculty seemed very friendly and approachable (just what I could see during the interview itself)
Students in general seemed happy and satisfied with their decision to attend DCOM.
Low cost of living in the surrounding areas.
Surrounding area is gorgeous and rural, however, it's close enough to Knoxville for a night out after an exam.
The reviews have generally been very good, which is promising for such a new school.

Cons:

No central town, more or less a rural suburb of Knoxville.
With the increased class size, I'm curious how they will provide quality clinical sites.

There's also a pro/con thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pros-and-cons-of-your-do-school.407104/page-24#post-14232525

and if anyone is interviewing on 10/31 ....do you know what time we meet up with students at the Gondolier Italian Restaurant?

Gondoliers is at 6:30pm. It is a very wise thing to go and get inside info on life of a medical student and how to survive e process and what to expect at the. Interview. they will ask you questions like, what do you do to relieve stress? Why DO? Why DCOM? What do you know about manipulation? What was the last book you read? What do you like to do for fun? tell me an experience you have had that you grew from? What is a strength you feel you have? What is a weakness you feel you have? How have you prepared yourself for the rigorous demands of medical school?

These are a few questions I had during my different interviews from different schools. Good luck. Just relax and show them who you are. Be wise of course, don't relax to the point that you start staying stupid things. Professionalism and maturity are important quality DCOM looks for.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am interviewing at LMU-DCOM in December, I can't wait! Pictures of the area look beautiful. Is the area relatively family friendly? My wife and two year old daughter would like the open space.

I am interviewing at LMU-DCOM in December, I can't wait! Pictures of the area look beautiful. Is the area relatively family friendly? My wife and two year old daughter would like the open space.

Yes, the school is very family friendly and for the most part so is the area. Granted, it is a small community and you have to be somewhat creative in finding things to do, but if you are open to new experiences, then it's a lot of fun. You are only here for two years though, so you can move somewhere larger if the rural turns out not to be your thing. There are several families here. My wife and I are from Utah so the change of scenery and culture has been fun.

Yes, the school is very family friendly and for the most part so is the area. Granted, it is a small community and you have to be somewhat creative in finding things to do, but if you are open to new experiences, then it's a lot of fun. You are only here for two years though, so you can move somewhere larger if the rural turns out not to be your thing. There are several families here. My wife and I are from Utah so the change of scenery and culture has been fun.
Can you speak to the degree of choice you have in the location of your core site?

Can you speak to the degree of choice you have in the location of your core site?

Sites include the following on this link.

http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/academics/sites.shtml

It is a lottery system. Unfortunately it is what the computer separates you into. This is how pretty much all DO schools are though. You make a rank list 1-15 of the places you want to go (with which core you want, core 1 or core 2 (first 6 months or second 6 months)) and then it will separate students out to help favor most everyone. I haven't gone through the process yet though and can only comment on what I have heard and seen from the year in front of me.

It is a lottery system. Unfortunately it is what the computer separates you into. This is how pretty much all DO schools are though. You make a rank list 1-15 of the places you want to go (with which core you want, core 1 or core 2 (first 6 months or second 6 months)) and then it will separate students out to help favor most everyone. I haven't gone through the process yet though and can only comment on what I have heard and seen from the year in front of me.
Thanks for the feedback. I figured it was a ranked lottery system. Am I misunderstanding you, or are you saying core site changes every 6 months?

Never mind. I'm reading more about it, and better understand the 1st vs 2nd 6 months setup now. It looks like there are a considerable amount of core sites in Knoxville area, so might have some ability to maintain a somewhat stable homebase.

I think I've just mistakenly posted on last year's thread. I sent my secondary in on 10/19, and emailed them to ask whether my LORs had arrived. However, I got no word from DCOM since then.

Did you receive any complete email? How long after you submitted it? Also, how far apart between being complete and receiving an ii?

Thank you everyone again! ;)

I think I've just mistakenly posted on last year's thread. I sent my secondary in on 10/19, and emailed them to ask whether my LORs had arrived. However, I got no word from DCOM since then.

Did you receive any complete email? How long after you submitted it? Also, how far apart between being complete and receiving an ii?

I think it took me about 3 weeks to receive the complete email which was exactly 2 weeks ago.
(I actually had to email the admissions asking about the application status, and that day I received my complete email)
As to interview, I am still waiting to hear from them too.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i had started to write my secondary essays for here and actually ended up using direct words from their mission statement before i even looked at it (was just putting ideas down)... maybe it's meant to be lol. we'll see... as i'm late to the game. submitted yesterday

I would call them! They are much more responsive over the phone, and I was complete on 9/24 (Yes, You will get a 'complete' email), got my II after about a month. I had to call them, and they even updated me on how far up on the review line I was. You can then get a rough idea on when you would hear back from them.

Interviewed today. This school jumped on my list. Everyone was warm and engaging and the actual interview was so laid back. Anatomy labs were phenomenal. Food was great. I could seriously see myself attending here. Definitely liked it more than MUCOM.

The town isn't as rural as people say, unless you're from a big city, it was pretty normal to me. Mountains are beautiful and the state park right by the school was amazing.

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed today. This school jumped on my list. Everyone was warm and engaging and the actual interview was so laid back. Anatomy labs were phenomenal. Food was great. I could seriously see myself attending here. Definitely liked it more than MUCOM.

The town isn't as rural as people say, unless you're from a big city, it was pretty normal to me. Mountains are beautiful and the state park right by the school was amazing.

This. I'm from NY, only about 65 miles from NYC, and it seems pretty normal to me too. It's basically farm country. It's also an outdoorsman's paradise. The lakes, trails, and scenery have me kind of excited for next year.

Reactions: 1 users

Mind doing a compare and contrast between the two schools? :)

Mind doing a compare and contrast between the two schools? :)

Ok, just a disclaimer this is all based on MY OWN personal experience and personal preferences which I will highlight.

MUCOM vs. LMU-DCOM

Interview day: I give it to DCOM. They were much more friendly, engaging, and relaxing. I really liked MUCOM as well, but received no where near the same feeling as I did during my day in Tennessee. I met roughly 10-12 people, including 5 students and was given experiences and thoughts from all of them. We spent a ton of time with the students as well and were really able to pick their brains. Interview was relaxed, closed file, no pressure. Just talk about yourself. Plus free lunch that was really good. At MUCOM, besides the faculty conducting the MMI, we only met the admissions director and the med student who gave our tour.

Location: This is a tie for me, but for mainly personal reasons. For me, MUCOM and Indianapolis is much more catered to my life and family. 5 hours back home and I have a friend in the area. Plus 4 mosques right around the school and halal restaurants. I didn't see one mosque anywhere near DCOM and I know no one there. Being in Indianapolis would be easier for my SO because she'd be closer to family if she needed to get away or whatever. That being said, I really like Middlesboro and Harrogate because it reminded me of home. I loved the mountains and nature, beautiful and majestic. I've always wanted to live somewhere like that. Housing is extremely cheap and the area has pretty much everything you need within a 10 mile distance, even a $4.50 movie theater.

Curriculum: Tie. They were both very similar. DCOM is obviously tried and test though.

COMLEX PASS/MATCH: MUCOM only has M2's right now, DCOM obviously wins.

Cost: Tie. They were pretty much identical.

Rotations:
I would give it to MUCOM just because you have the ability to stay in Indianapolis and not have to move around. They are also partnered with the OPTI program of MSUCOM, so that adds ~40 hospitals/clinics into their system. I would eventually like to go back to Michigan for residency so this would be very beneficial. DCOM has solid rotation spots, but I am not a fan of having to move around multiple times. They said its not usually an issue but it could happen, just food for thought.

Overall: At the moment, I would probably go with DCOM based on reputation, but I would definitely need more time to think about it and weigh the options. MUCOM was really nice, new, and awesome, but I feel like they are trying really hard to impress everyone. Don't get me wrong, I think they'll be one of the top DO schools within the next 5 years, but at the moment I would need to see more from them. We didn't even get to see other parts of the campus. Also, was not a fan of being wait-listed, along with others who suspect it was just because of their MCAT score. We were told at the interview that we made it to that point because we were sound academically, but when everyone I've talked to with an MCAT below 27 gets wait-listed, it seems kinda sketchy. I do appreciate that they come on these forums and answer plenty of questions and alert the applicants of what's going on constantly though. I knew where I was in their process for the entire time until after my wait-listing. I had to call-in DCOM for both my file to be complete and to hear about my interview.

Take all of this with a grain of salt though. Find the school that fits you. :)

Reactions: 2 users

Thought that you would really like it. :)

Heading Harrogate way. Anyone going to be at Gondoliers Sunday evening?

Also just interviewed. The people here were awesome, interview very relaxed with open conversation and the scenery is definitely gorgeous! There were also a ton of people dressed up for Halloween, which I thought was great - I showed up to the front desk a little nervous and the girl behind it had on a red Mario hat and mustache...lightened the mood pretty quickly.

Reactions: 3 users
I bet All of you will feel like home when you come to LMU-DCOM ! It is also a perfect place for me to focus and study and get away from all the noise, pollution in big urban areas...

Hearing everyone speak so highly of this school is really pushing it up my list. Was complete 10/22 after calling so I'm thinking after 2-3 weeks if I don't hear anything I may call again in hopes of an II!

Ok, just a disclaimer this is all based on MY OWN personal experience and personal preferences which I will highlight.

MUCOM vs. LMU-DCOM

Interview day: I give it to DCOM. They were much more friendly, engaging, and relaxing. I really liked MUCOM as well, but received no where near the same feeling as I did during my day in Tennessee. I met roughly 10-12 people, including 5 students and was given experiences and thoughts from all of them. We spent a ton of time with the students as well and were really able to pick their brains. Interview was relaxed, closed file, no pressure. Just talk about yourself. Plus free lunch that was really good. At MUCOM, besides the faculty conducting the MMI, we only met the admissions director and the med student who gave our tour.

Location: This is a tie for me, but for mainly personal reasons. For me, MUCOM and Indianapolis is much more catered to my life and family. 5 hours back home and I have a friend in the area. Plus 4 mosques right around the school and halal restaurants. I didn't see one mosque anywhere near DCOM and I know no one there. Being in Indianapolis would be easier for my SO because she'd be closer to family if she needed to get away or whatever. That being said, I really like Middlesboro and Harrogate because it reminded me of home. I loved the mountains and nature, beautiful and majestic. I've always wanted to live somewhere like that. Housing is extremely cheap and the area has pretty much everything you need within a 10 mile distance, even a $4.50 movie theater.

Curriculum: Tie. They were both very similar. DCOM is obviously tried and test though.

Rotations:
I would give it to MUCOM just because you have the ability to stay in Indianapolis and not have to move around. They are also partnered with the OPTI program of MSUCOM, so that adds ~40 hospitals/clinics into their system. I would eventually like to go back to Michigan for residency so this would be very beneficial. DCOM has solid rotation spots, but I am not a fan of having to move around multiple times. They said its not usually an issue but it could happen, just food for thought.

Overall: At the moment, I would probably go with DCOM based on reputation, but I would definitely need more time to think about it and weigh the options. MUCOM was really nice, new, and awesome, but I feel like they are trying really hard to impress everyone. Don't get me wrong, I think they'll be one of the top DO schools within the next 5 years, but at the moment I would need to see more from them. We didn't even get to see other parts of the campus. Also, was not a fan of being wait-listed, along with others who suspect it was just because of their MCAT score. We were told at the interview that we made it to that point because we were sound academically, but when everyone I've talked to with an MCAT below 27 gets wait-listed, it seems kinda sketchy. I do appreciate that they come on these forums and answer plenty of questions and alert the applicants of what's going on constantly though. I knew where I was in their process for the entire time until after my wait-listing. I had to call-in DCOM for both my file to be complete and to hear about my interview.

This school is awesome!

Hearing everyone speak so highly of this school is really pushing it up my list. Was complete 10/22 after calling so I'm thinking after 2-3 weeks if I don't hear anything I may call again in hopes of an II!
Definitely call. I got my interview by calling and inquiring about my status.

MUCOM vs. LMU-DCOM

Rotations:

If it helps, there's a muslim student association (you can find them on fb if you want) that has gotten bigger this year. It's not like undergraduate MSU, but there are jummah prayers and eid prayers (I know they went to knoxville this year to pray for this last eid because it was a "free" weekend). Definitely no halal food though.

I am wondering if anyone accepted to DCOM already sent the deposit... It looks like I'll be sending mine this week. :) I am so in love with the school !

I am wondering if anyone accepted to DCOM already sent the deposit... It looks like I'll be sending mine this week. :) I am so in love with the school !

About 90% sure I'll be attending next year, but I'm waiting a little while to send in the deposit. Rather hold on to the 1200 a little longer.

I just sent in my deposit very excited for next year.

Then I'm only about 24.893% sure I'm going to DCOM. That extra $50 pushes me over the top. Off to janitor school I go.

At least you get access to closets :D

That's one is my favorite SDN posts

I just sent in my deposit very excited for next year.
Did you also send a deposit of $50 for the boot camp? I will do the boot camp starting in July... :) FYI, the boot camp is only limited to the first 80 incoming students who apply.

Did you also send a deposit of $50 for the boot camp? I will do the boot camp starting in July... :) FYI, the boot camp is only limited to the first 80 incoming students who apply.
No I am still unsure whether I want to do the bootcamp or come into classes completely refreshed and ready to go.

No I am still unsure whether I want to do the bootcamp or come into classes completely refreshed and ready to go.
Yeah, if you already had anatomy... Then there is no need for the bootcamp.

Once again, WELCOME TO LMU-DCOM CLASS OF 2019 ! :love::love::love::shifty::welcome:

i think the boot camp would be a great way to start off on a strong note with your professors but also a way to ease into the course load. it's only a few weeks, but i think for people who have had an extended period of time off, it might not be a bad idea.

if i interview here, i'd definitely ask about that. i'm fairly positive i would do it.

Yeah, if you already had anatomy... Then there is no need for the bootcamp.

Once again, WELCOME TO LMU-DCOM CLASS OF 2019 ! :love::love::love::shifty::welcome:

Even if you've had undergrad anatomy do boot camp. It's a great program and it has saved me a ton of time studying for gross anatomy that I was able to spend on other classes. I looked back at my undergrad anatomy notes a few weeks ago and it barely scratches the surface of what MGA covers.

Even if you've had undergrad anatomy do boot camp. It's a great program and it has saved me a ton of time studying for gross anatomy that I was able to spend on other classes. I looked back at my undergrad anatomy notes a few weeks ago and it barely scratches the surface of what MGA covers.

I'm going to have to disagree (though full disclosure: i didn't do bootcamp). Enjoy your last truly truly free summer before med school. It might be helpful, but I know plenty of people (including myself) that did more than okay without doing bootcamp. Enjoy civilization, hanging out with friends, binge watching tv, and drinking as much starbucks as you want before you get here...a few weeks of a crash course isn't going to be the reason you fail out. But you'll be happy you had that extra time to enjoy before you get here.

I'm going to have to disagree (though full disclosure: i didn't do bootcamp). Enjoy your last truly truly free summer before med school. It might be helpful, but I know plenty of people (including myself) that did more than okay without doing bootcamp. Enjoy civilization, hanging out with friends, binge watching tv, and drinking as much starbucks as you want before you get here...a few weeks of a crash course isn't going to be the reason you fail out. But you'll be happy you had that extra time to enjoy before you get here.
Exactly what I'm going to do. I'll definitely be binge drinking...Starbucks. But yeah, I have the rest of my life to worry about school and work, I'd prefer to enjoy my last summer.

I was just thinking about the boot camp the last few days as well. I have never had anatomy so I think it would be really beneficial for me just to get my footing, especially having been out of school for a few years I think getting myself back into study mode before the real deal would be super helpful.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about the boot camp the last few days as well. I have never had anatomy so I think it would be really beneficial for me just to get my footing, especially having been out of school for a few year I think getting myself back into study mode before the real deal would be super helpful.
Hurayyy, I wish to see you during summer. But the 2015 application for bootcamp is not up yet, I'll just send my matriculation deposit first and the bootcamp later. I'm very excited about the bootcamp since I have the chance to get to know everyone before the school starts.

Just got put on pre-interview hold. Any ideas on how to best improve my application? I can only assume it was due to my MCATs verbal...but I am not sure I can get a 3rd test in before the new MCAT. Sorry for long post.

Non-tradition out of school for +4 years
- cgpa 3.47 sgpa 3.41 MCAT 1st 24 (8/5/11) 2nd 22 (9/5/8)
- 2 year club president/founder
- Shadowing internship +200 hours with MD and DOs (DOs 27 hours)
- Research for 3 months at Stanford cancer center with 2 publications and a letter from the PI who is the Director of Radiation Oncology
- Lived and volunteered in Central America for 2 years working in international development for health programs in rural communities as Program Director
- Volunteered for +1 year with a non-profit technology start-up and did tons of business development
- Presented at 3 conferences regarding international work
- Currently a clinical research coordinator and business development for +1 years for 2 companies working side by side with patients in an urgent care clinic in a low-income hispanic community
- Lived in Ecuador 3 months to start up a clinical research project with that same company
- I have a lot of strong LOR and one from a DO
- Trilingual in Spanish Vietnamese and English

So overall I have tons of clinical, shadowing, and volunteer hours and some research. My bad on my apps are I have a misdemeanor for minor in possession of alcohol, failed 1 class and Ds in 2 which I replaces with 2 A's and 1 B. I have 1 Withdrawal freshman year. Not sure what I can do to improve? My current job might sent me back to Ecuador to start a new clinical research project soon, maybe thats a good update?

Just got put on pre-interview hold. Any ideas on how to best improve my application? I can only assume it was due to my MCATs verbal...but I am not sure I can get a 3rd test in before the new MCAT. Sorry for long post.

- Research for 3 months at Stanford cancer center with 2 publications and a letter from the PI who is the Director of Radiation Oncology
- Lived and volunteered in Central America for 2 years working in international development for health programs in rural communities as Program Director
- Volunteered for +1 year with a non-profit technology start-up and did tons of business development
- Currently a clinical research coordinator and business development for +1 years for 2 companies working side by side with patients in an urgent care clinic in a low-income hispanic community
- Lived in Ecuador 3 months to start up a clinical research project with that same company

So overall I have tons of clinical, shadowing, and volunteer hours and some research. My bad on my apps are I have a misdemeanor for minor in possession of alcohol, failed 1 class and Ds in 2 which I replaces with 2 A's and 1 B. I have 1 Withdrawal freshman year. Not sure what I can do to improve? My current job might sent me back to Ecuador to start a new clinical research project soon, maybe thats a good update?

I think you've got an awesome app but I think it's the MCAT that is hurting you did to consecutive low verbal scores, less than average overall, and the two point decrease in your second take. Don't lose hope though! It's not a rejection meaning they do like you, maybe plan a retake with the new MCAT.

Maybe downward trend of your MCAT too. Beside what you are doing, Try to do some other significant clinical volunteers, and update the adcom, your most recent 22 MCAT hurts your chances... If you are not really well-prepared for the MCAT then, retaking MCAT for 3rd time might be a waste of money if you can not score at least 26 or higher. Apply to Master of science program at LMU as a backup, if you can get in the MS program here, you mostly likely dont have to retake the MCAT and you just have to do well in all the courses ... And you are guaranteed an interview. More than 90% of the MS class got in medical school for class of 2018.

@Hayden19 and @schwasted589: I appreaciate both of your opinions and advice. It all depends on each individual... Are you guys 1st year or 2nd year?

I am a first year. @schwasted589 is right you can absolutely do well in anatomy and your other classes without bootcamp - I know plenty of people who are doing just that.

That being said I still highly recommend the program if you are at all interested. It gives you a leg up in anatomy and a head-start getting comfortable here and meeting new people. Everyone I have talked to that did bootcamp had a positive experience and many people who did not have said they wished that they had. I also know there is a study in the works that is much more scientific than "everyone I have talked to..." and from what I've seen the numbers backup the sentiment.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me

Last edited:
It has been about a month since being completed. Really would like to get an ii..