Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED today! I'm bummed I missed my chance to speak with Dr. Weiting personally but now I have one voicemail I will save forever! 1st acceptance for the interview I thought I did worst in! :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
Can those of you accepted share your stats please? And how long after your interview did you hear back?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I: 11/17/14 A:11/21/14

Reactions: 1 users
I know they mail out physical letters on Friday's, but does anyone know how long it takes to receive it? I didn't get a call yesterday so I've got my fingers crossed for a waitlist spot rather than a rejection.

I know they mail out physical letters on Friday's, but does anyone know how long it takes to receive it? I didn't get a call yesterday so I've got my fingers crossed for a waitlist spot rather than a rejection.

I think mail in the continental US takes 2-3 days depending on distance and pickup time

Reactions: 1 user
Can those of you accepted share your stats please? And how long after your interview did you hear back?

Thanks!!!
3.2 gpa with 4.0 post-bacc. 30 MCAT. interviewed Friday, heard back Thursday evening at around 6 o'clock.

Anyone else interviewing 1/12? If you are interested in splitting a room let me know. I have one at the holiday inn. Trad male applicant.

I do have a car already and wouldn't mind waiting for someone if their flight gets in later than mine (11am I believe) but I do want to make it to the meet n greet.

If u already have a car, I can cancel mine and only lose $10 so just let me know.

Last edited:
I just got an interview invite. It's my first of the season. Can anyone tell me what the interview is like? Also, who is interviewing Friday January 23?

For those that are curious, my stats are... unique.

3.0 undergrad GPA.
3.7 GPA from Pharmacy school. Graduated with a PharmD in 2013. 33 MCAT (11/11/11)
Significant shadowing and volunteering experience (pharmacy school was a plus) but I have a black mark on my application. I got suspended for unprofessional behavior (an email argument with a classmate) during my third year of pharmacy school.

Hello everyone. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted to this amazing school. I have applied to DCOM's Masters program. My dream is to be accepted to the Masters program, do well, enter DCOM, and become an Osteopathic Physician.

I had a question about gross anatomy at DCOM. I was wondering if current students or any other incoming students maybe able to help me out? Thanks for the help.

I took gross anatomy as a unclassified graduate student at an allopathic med school. We did all dissections and had to present our dissections to the professor and TA's (PhD candidates) after each block. For example, after dissection of the back we had to present it. We were asked questions and were given a grade. Exams had two parts, a written all multiple choice and a practical.

The practical was done in the lab with the cadavers. There were usually 30 stations set up. The TA's would tag structures and ask questions about what was tag. Sometimes it was just "what is this"? Other times the questions where a little harder. We had only one minute at each station. If a word was misspelled the entire answer was wrong.

I got a B in the class. Is DCOM's anatomy class just like this?

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an interview invite. It's my first of the season. Can anyone tell me what the interview is like? Also, who is interviewing Friday January 23?

3.0 undergrad GPA.
3.7 GPA from Pharmacy school. Graduated with a PharmD in 2013. 33 MCAT (11/11/11)
Significant shadowing and volunteering experience (pharmacy school was a plus) but I have a black mark on my application. I got suspended for unprofessional behavior (an email argument with a classmate) during my third year of pharmacy school.

First off, Congratulations!! Your stats are very strong, and you have clearly proven yourself on paper. I interviewed on 11/10, and I loved my time at DCOM.

I landed at Knoxville, and had a rent-a-car. It was such an amazing drive to the school. It was very serene, and the nature really stands out. The roads are long and straight, with absolutely no traffic - just the way I like it. I had a hotel at the Days' Inn. The room came out to $55 for the night (make sure to tell them you are interviewing at DCOM). Living at the Days' Inn, the mexican restaurant just in front of the hotel gives the inn's guests a 10% discount if you show them your room keycard and the portions are HUGE - def worth it.

I then went to the student meet at the pizzeria, and there were 3 current DCOM students with us. They were very friendly, and very helpful. Def a good way to get out all your "silly" questions out of the way, and also get some insider information about anything about the life as a student at DCOM. The dinner lasted about an hour, and was very laid-back.

As for the interview day, you could park your car at the sides of the school, and walk around to the front and enter through those doors. You sign in with the secretary - who was very helpful, and then you get taken into a conference room with a giant glass window as one of the walls. You are also given a folder with all pertinent information about the day, the school, and some basic information about the interviewers. The interview is broken up into 3 time blocks and 5 interviewer groups. There will be a welcome speech given by Janet Martin, and after that, the interviewers will come into the room and grab each one of the interviewees depending on who's for which block and who has them. As the interviews progressed, students, Bob, and a recruiter talked to us about the school and any extra questions we may have.

My interview itself was laid back and I had 2 assistant professors - one for OMT, and one for Anatomy. You get taken into one of the professors' offices, and you get asked a series of questions. The interview lasts 30 minutes, and the interview is CLOSED FILE (so they will not know about your black mark!!! but it's up to you if you want to talk about it). I personally spilt my ENTIRE personal statement and resume within the first 20 minutes along with "why DO", "why DCOM", "why Doctor" and "tell me about yourself". I heard from my fellow interviewees that they asked them some ethics questions, but i never got any. (Bob and the recruiter will give you exactly what questions they will usually ask.) Then my interviewers both asked me questions about me which they found important and pertinent. After the interviews are over, you get a course overview for each year from Dean Wieting, and then some financial aid stuff and yada yada yada. Then there is a tour, and then lunch at the Dinning Hall, followed by a tour of the on-campus housing.

Hope I helped!!!

Reactions: 3 users

3.0 undergrad GPA.

This goes for everyone on this forum,

CHECK OUT the "Interview Feedback" section on this website, very very very helpful!

II! Interviewing on 2/6. Any idea what the class stats are, as well as the interviewed/accepted ratio? Thanks!

II! Interviewing on 2/6. Any idea what the class stats are, as well as the interviewed/accepted ratio? Thanks!

Current students told me that they accept ~70% of interviewees. Stats are probably 3.5/24-26

On a similar note - does anyone know the average accepted students mcat/gpa from the last cycle? Can't find it anywhere. thank you!

Current students told me that they accept ~70% of interviewees. Stats are probably 3.5/24-26

This is true last I heard. This takes into account all those that are accepted and attend, accepted and decline the spot, accepted and deferred, and accepted off the waitlist.

Hello everyone. Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted to this amazing school. I have applied to DCOM's Masters program. My dream is to be accepted to the Masters program, do well, enter DCOM, and become an Osteopathic Physician.

I had a question about gross anatomy at DCOM. I was wondering if current students or any other incoming students maybe able to help me out? Thanks for the help.

I took gross anatomy as a unclassified graduate student at an allopathic med school. We did all dissections and had to present our dissections to the professor and TA's (PhD candidates) after each block. For example, after dissection of the back we had to present it. We were asked questions and were given a grade. Exams had two parts, a written all multiple choice and a practical.

The practical was done in the lab with the cadavers. There were usually 30 stations set up. The TA's would tag structures and ask questions about what was tag. Sometimes it was just "what is this"? Other times the questions where a little harder. We had only one minute at each station. If a word was misspelled the entire answer was wrong.

Thanks for your time!

Anatomy lab is set up into four connected pods (rooms), each with about nine donors. Students are split into groups X and Y, giving about 10 students per donor. Only 5 are dissecting at a time. (The other five will be in histology lab and then after 2 hours you switch). The anatomy instructors, fellows (third years), and TAs (fellow 1st years who completed anatomy in the DCOM masters program) are there to assist you.

A normal day consists of being given an assignment and dissecting according to directions. Technique is not graded, but the better you dissect, the easier the practicals are. The anatomy people will walk around and answer any questions you have, sometimes asking you questions but never in a "put you on the spot" kind of way.

Practicals are taking in two pods, and have 1/3 the students at a time. Roughly you have 1 hour give or take. Structures are tagged and labeled with roach clips and pins and there are corresponding questions. It is all multiple choice and done on scantron, however, the options are usually through J or K so you still have to know your stuff. There are always a few questions on models or CT/X-ray.

I had never taken anatomy before and I walked away with a B in the class because I had to stop focusing so hard in anatomy and switch my attention to biochem.

Hope that helps!

First off, Congratulations!! Your stats are very strong, and you have clearly proven yourself on paper. I interviewed on 11/10, and I loved my time at DCOM.

I landed at Knoxville, and had a rent-a-car. It was such an amazing drive to the school. It was very serene, and the nature really stands out. The roads are long and straight, with absolutely no traffic - just the way I like it. I had a hotel at the Days' Inn. The room came out to $55 for the night (make sure to tell them you are interviewing at DCOM). Living at the Days' Inn, the mexican restaurant just in front of the hotel gives the inn's guests a 10% discount if you show them your room keycard and the portions are HUGE - def worth it.

I then went to the student meet at the pizzeria, and there were 3 current DCOM students with us. They were very friendly, and very helpful. Def a good way to get out all your "silly" questions out of the way, and also get some insider information about anything about the life as a student at DCOM. The dinner lasted about an hour, and was very laid-back.

As for the interview day, you could park your car at the sides of the school, and walk around to the front and enter through those doors. You sign in with the secretary - who was very helpful, and then you get taken into a conference room with a giant glass window as one of the walls. You are also given a folder with all pertinent information about the day, the school, and some basic information about the interviewers. The interview is broken up into 3 time blocks and 5 interviewer groups. There will be a welcome speech given by Janet Martin, and after that, the interviewers will come into the room and grab each one of the interviewees depending on who's for which block and who has them. As the interviews progressed, students, Bob, and a recruiter talked to us about the school and any extra questions we may have.

My interview itself was laid back and I had 2 assistant professors - one for OMT, and one for Anatomy. You get taken into one of the professors' offices, and you get asked a series of questions. The interview lasts 30 minutes, and the interview is CLOSED FILE (so they will not know about your black mark!!! but it's up to you if you want to talk about it). I personally spilt my ENTIRE personal statement and resume within the first 20 minutes along with "why DO", "why DCOM", "why Doctor" and "tell me about yourself". I heard from my fellow interviewees that they asked them some ethics questions, but i never got any. (Bob and the recruiter will give you exactly what questions they will usually ask.) Then my interviewers both asked me questions about me which they found important and pertinent. After the interviews are over, you get a course overview for each year from Dean Wieting, and then some financial aid stuff and yada yada yada. Then there is a tour, and then lunch at the Dinning Hall, followed by a tour of the on-campus housing.

Hope I helped!!!

Thanks so much. In particular, I appreciate the mention that the interview is closed file. So they base the decision ENTIRELY on the interview? Nothing else from before actually comes into play?

Thanks so much. In particular, I appreciate the mention that the interview is closed file. So they base the decision ENTIRELY on the interview? Nothing else from before actually comes into play?

I wouldn't say that, but they've always told us that if you get an interview, you're acceptable on paper. The interview is just to see if you're a good fit with the school.

I am so excited to interview here. I am from a small rural town and have wanted to go somewhere that matriculates physicians aimed at serving underserved populations. i really really hope i can get in here!!!!!

Anatomy lab is set up into four connected pods (rooms), each with about nine donors. Students are split into groups X and Y, giving about 10 students per donor. Only 5 are dissecting at a time. (The other five will be in histology lab and then after 2 hours you switch). The anatomy instructors, fellows (third years), and TAs (fellow 1st years who completed anatomy in the DCOM masters program) are there to assist you.

A normal day consists of being given an assignment and dissecting according to directions. Technique is not graded, but the better you dissect, the easier the practicals are. The anatomy people will walk around and answer any questions you have, sometimes asking you questions but never in a "put you on the spot" kind of way.

Practicals are taking in two pods, and have 1/3 the students at a time. Roughly you have 1 hour give or take. Structures are tagged and labeled with roach clips and pins and there are corresponding questions. It is all multiple choice and done on scantron, however, the options are usually through J or K so you still have to know your stuff. There are always a few questions on models or CT/X-ray.

I had never taken anatomy before and I walked away with a B in the class because I had to stop focusing so hard in anatomy and switch my attention to biochem.

Hope that helps!
Thanks a million for the info!!

No. I wouldn't say ENTIRELY. From what I remember, Martin said, "We will get back to you in 5 days. We will be making the decision in 2 days. This is to make sure that we are making the right decision. We will be looking at the interviewers' notes and going through your application with a fine-toothed comb."

I would suggest addressing your "black-mark" and giving an explanation about this fall-out you had - defend yourself and give an argument to get yourself out of the darkness and into the light so as to speak. You have absolutely AMAZING stats and I do not see why you wouldn't be joining us at LMU-DCOM next August. I wish you the very best for your interview sir/ma'am. Good Luck!

No. I wouldn't say ENTIRELY. From what I remember, Martin said, "We will get back to you in 5 days. We will be making the decision in 2 days. This is to make sure that we are making the right decision. We will be looking at the interviewers' notes and going through your application with a fine-toothed comb."

I would suggest addressing your "black-mark" and giving an explanation about this fall-out you had - defend yourself and give an argument to get yourself out of the darkness and into the light so as to speak. You have absolutely AMAZING stats and I do not see why you wouldn't be joining us at LMU-DCOM next August. I wish you the very best for your interview sir/ma'am. Good Luck!

I had a black Mark that I needed to address to my interviewers so I could express my point of view and how I felt about it now. I deliberated about it for a long time how to bring it up. I ended up waiting until they asked if I had any questions, then we discussed it. The two interviewers were very supportive and it was a great conversation, and they really heard where I was coming from. I'd recommend doing that.

I would just like to add my two cents to this. Please understand this is only my opinion.
I'm currently an OMS1 at DCOM and very happy to be here. That being said, I am certainly not an expert in their admissions policies.
My best understanding is that you would not have been chosen for an interview if you were not already statistically acceptable on paper. When you come for your interview you will have it with 2 faculty members who will know nothing about you other than your name and what city you are from.
After the interview, the admissions committee will convene and these 2 interviewers will be asked about you. The committee will go around the room, this time with your file open and decide who are the best candidates for admission.
I am sure that not everyone would agree with me, but I think that if you have a "blemish" on your record, you should absolutely address it in your interview. If you can show that you understand why it occurred and that you have learned from the experience and are better prepared to not repeat it, there is little left to discuss about it.
When the committee meets with your file open, any significant blemishes are almost certain to come up. Which would you rather have as your advocates for admission: 2 faculty who are already aware of the issue and the steps you've taken to grow from it, or 2 faculty members who are suddenly surprised to learn something negative about you with no further explanation?
Your interviewers are not the determinants of your admission, the committee is. Your interviewers serve to address the things about you that can't be ascertained from the paperwork. Make sure that you have prepared them to be your best possible advocates.
Don't drag it out and focus on negativity, simply take responsibility for your actions and put it out to your interviewers that the experience has served to improve you.
Again, just my 2 cents. Best of luck to everyone applying.

I would just like to add my two cents to this. Please understand this is only my opinion.
I'm currently an OMS1 at DCOM and very happy to be here. That being said, I am certainly not an expert in their admissions policies.
My best understanding is that you would not have been chosen for an interview if you were not already statistically acceptable on paper. When you come for your interview you will have it with 2 faculty members who will know nothing about you other than your name and what city you are from.
After the interview, the admissions committee will convene and these 2 interviewers will be asked about you. The committee will go around the room, this time with your file open and decide who are the best candidates for admission.
I am sure that not everyone would agree with me, but I think that if you have a "blemish" on your record, you should absolutely address it in your interview. If you can show that you understand why it occurred and that you have learned from the experience and are better prepared to not repeat it, there is little left to discuss about it.
When the committee meets with your file open, any significant blemishes are almost certain to come up. Which would you rather have as your advocates for admission: 2 faculty who are already aware of the issue and the steps you've taken to grow from it, or 2 faculty members who are suddenly surprised to learn something negative about you with no further explanation?
Your interviewers are not the determinants of your admission, the committee is. Your interviewers serve to address the things about you that can't be ascertained from the paperwork. Make sure that you have prepared them to be your best possible advocates.
Don't drag it out and focus on negativity, simply take responsibility for your actions and put it out to your interviewers that the experience has served to improve you.
Again, just my 2 cents. Best of luck to everyone applying.

I'm planning on addressing it. I've been addressing it in most of my applications thus far since a lot of them ask about suspensions anyway. I've had a couple years now to think on it, and I'm confident that I can address it well. I did a stupid thing, and I paid dearly for it, but it could have been worse. Ironically, it may somewhat work out in my favor. I would have applied for a pharmacy residency had I not been suspended and locked myself into the wrong career.

That said, you don't really go through something like that and not learn a LOT. You learn more than you ever thought possible. It's a complete and total bummer, but the truth is, I see medical professionals acting the way I did all the time. They just don't realize how real the possibility is that you can get in trouble for it. Sure, the odds are low, but if you do it enough times, your number is going to come up eventually. Mine just came up early.

Last edited:

Thanks for your time!
I am currently in the Masters program and I can tell you that I absolutely love it. There are two main majors, anatomical sciences and biomedical sciences. The head professors of each program are really great and I personally feel as though I can talk to any of them if I need help. I'm really excited that the masters program allows us to get a couple classes out of the way for when we get the opportunity to become a DCOM student.

MGA (medical gross anatomy) is organized ( in my opinion) and incredibly thorough. We do get graded on our dissections, and even have the possibilities of getting bonus points if the dissection is done rather well, but we don't exactly "present" our dissections or ask questions. The written exam is done through a program called softest. The questions come from the lectures. There is also an embryology component to each exam unit. I think it was just one lecture per exam, but it was helpful in understanding why certain exceptions to the norm are exceptions. Each written exam takes three questions per lecture for the test. The practical had a different amount of questions each time, I'm not quite sure how they determined the amount of points per practical. But the practical is multiple choice, so spelling won't count against you, but there are many answer choices A-J, I think.
Also, you're not timed at each station. I hope my response helped!

Whats up with the news about the dean leaving? Is that going to pose a problem. Thats pretty scary :-/

I don't think so. Our interim dean has taken over before when doc was president of the AOA. We'll be in good hands until we find a new permanent.
Oh okay.....thats awesome. I was getting worried lol

Interviewed 11/14 and I got my letter today. While it wasn't an acceptance, I am pleased to say that I was waitlisted. But, I am not pleased to say that starting in January, I'll begin studying to take the new 2015 mcat as a way to prepare for the worst - reapplying.

Interviewed 11/14 and I got my letter today. While it wasn't an acceptance, I am pleased to say that I was waitlisted. But, I am not pleased to say that starting in January, I'll begin studying to take the new 2015 mcat as a way to prepare for the worst - reapplying.

Stats? If you don't mind

Stats? If you don't mind

Not really, gpa and sgpa averages to be 3.4x - gpa was 3.2 at junior college, then 3.7x at the university; sgpa pretty much matches. Nothing but A's in my upper level science courses. Mcat is a different story, 22, 23, 22 with subscores widely fluctuating each test; my lowest subscore would become my highest score and highest would become my lowest. Good lors and good ECs, nontrad that worked part time all through college. I don't know if it helped but I left handwritten thank you notes for my interviewers at the receptionist's desk before I left for the day.

Not really, gpa and sgpa averages to be 3.4x - gpa was 3.2 at junior college, then 3.7x at the university; sgpa pretty much matches. Nothing but A's in my upper level science courses. Mcat is a different story, 22, 23, 22 with subscores widely fluctuating each test; my lowest subscore would become my highest score and highest would become my lowest. Good lors and good ECs, nontrad that worked part time all through college. I don't know if it helped but I left handwritten thank you notes for my interviewers at the receptionist's desk before I left for the day.

It helps just trying to get an idea of my chances for my Jan interview

Is it too late to apply now and still have a good shot? decent GPA, but MCAT not so great... Also, sorry if this has been discussed I did not read every thread, but what is the secondary app?

Is it too late to apply now and still have a good shot? decent GPA, but MCAT not so great... Also, sorry if this has been discussed I did not read every thread, but what is the secondary app?
The secondary app is essentially just two essay questions. And I wouldn't say its too late. If you're application was complete by December 15th or so, I think it'd be pretty reasonable for you to get a late February or March interview. A big part of it depends on your MCAT though. When you say not so great, did you get above a 25? If you were in the low 20's, I think it'd be less likely for you to get an interview. If you were in the mid 20's or higher, I'd say you have a decent shot at getting interviewed.

Last edited:
Is it too risky to wait for my DO LOR around Jan 15th? She pushed my shadow time until after the new year. I can get a weak MD LOR now and my app complete around Dec 15th. This is my top choice. Thanks. c3.12, s3.04, 28 (9/9/10)

Last edited:
Is it too risky to wait for my DO LOR around Jan 15th? She pushed my shadow time until after the new year. I can get a weak MD LOR now and my app complete around Dec 15th. This is my top choice. Thanks. c3.12, s3.04, 28 (9/9/10)

i would say get the app complete and let them know that you have a DO letter coming in February and ask that if that would be crucial to the decision on your app, that they hold off until receiving that.

my $0.02

i would say get the app complete and let them know that you have a DO letter coming in February and ask that if that would be crucial to the decision on your app, that they hold off until receiving that.

my $0.02
Agreed. You can have more than one physician LOR.

Hello everyone. If I send in primary application today, would it be too late for this cycle?

No, it is not too late. As general rule, if you apply after Christmas then you are pushing the limits, but if you submit primaries before christmas, you still have a good chance.