Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello Folks --
I submitted the application for the LMU Biomedical Masters program which looks like a really good program --
I would be grateful to hear from anyone who has done this program, whether they did get into DCOM after doing this program, and whether you thought it was a worthwhile program ...

What's it like living in Harrogate? Can I just search this Forum to find more information on this?

Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Read this whole thread and the LMU Masters thread under the interdisciplinary/Postbacc forum.

Reactions: 1 user
Read this whole thread and the LMU Masters thread under the interdisciplinary/Postbacc forum.
Hi Gordon Gekko --
Very much appreciated, thank you!
I will work my way through these messages and I did find the other thread -- which I would not have found without your help ...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted here, but I currently work as a scribe in the emergency department. One of my physicians sister is a fourth year and matched into her top choice for residency!! Exciting news! She states that the majority of students matched where they wanted too which is great to hear!

Reactions: 7 users
I was accepted here, but I currently work as a scribe in the emergency department. One of my physicians sister is a fourth year and matched into her top choice for residency!! Exciting news! She states that the majority of students matched where they wanted too which is great to hear!
They have a great reputation!! Plus they give you time for boards, which I'm sure helps us do better!

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted, but still happy considering my GPA. Anyone know what the chances of getting pulled from the waitlist are?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have read seven words of yours on SDN and I know your a douche bag. No searching post history needed.

What do you know about our class and the people in it? You act as if our class (or any previous class) has some bearing on your future outcome. It doesn't. You make your own way. Whether you think our match is weak or strong it doesn't matter because its up to each individual person to match into what they want.

I don't know if you've ever seen Paul Thomas Anderson's There Will Be Blood but I'm going to have to quote it for you (with some minor adjustments): "I thank god I have none of you in my class."

Good day Douche Bag.

Really ironic post. I'm sorry you got so defensive for no reason.

I have read seven words of yours on SDN and I know your a douche bag. No searching post history needed.

What do you know about our class and the people in it? You act as if our class (or any previous class) has some bearing on your future outcome. It doesn't. You make your own way. Whether you think our match is weak or strong it doesn't matter because its up to each individual person to match into what they want.

I don't know if you've ever seen Paul Thomas Anderson's There Will Be Blood but I'm going to have to quote it for you (with some minor adjustments): "I thank god I have none of you in my class."

Good day Douche Bag.
Really ironic post. I'm sorry you got so defensive for no reason.

Yea, I'd say calling someone a douche for expressing their opinion is a little excessive. Let's try to live up to how great this thread has been and not sink to name calling...

I don't know if "weak" is the word to use, but their obviously is a lack of brand names on the list. However, as we have discussed over and over, residency is all about the individual, not the name of the hospital. I always see a few Genesys Regional Medical Center matches on these lists (which is 15 minutes from me) and think that those were students from my area who just wanted to come back here. It's a nice hospital in a nice town, all the residencies are dual-accredited, a great place to raise the kids, unless you are really going for an academic powerhouse, its a great choice.

Thats very true. I know I wouldn't be upset about scoring a sweet community hospital where staff is friendly, good neighborhood, and low cost of living. Anything by a big medical center is going to have a lot of traffic anyway ;)

Edit: They are sending a TON of people to AOA residencies. I wonder how the merger will affect match lists.

Reactions: 1 users
I was excited when I saw the matchlist. There are a lot of small community matches, which is great because it sounds like that was the type of residency that those individuals wanted to match at. On the other side of the spectrum there was a Cornell EM match, Harvard Psych, Cleveland Clinic IM, and several matches at big university hospitals. I think the sky is the limit for DCOM students. I'm so insanely excited about starting medical school and getting the ball rolling. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
It's all up to the individual. Period.

I can tell already that the ignorant ***** above will be reeking of douche so bad that any PD will smell him coming from a mile away.

Good luck to the rest of you though. It goes quick.

Last edited:
It's all up to the individual. Period.

I can tell already that the ignorant ***** above will be reeking of douche so bad that any PD will smell him coming from a mile away.

Good luck to the rest of you though. It goes quick.

You sound more bitter than anyone here. I'm probably the opposite of a douche, but thanks for your concerns.

I can say that just in my group of friends most people got their first choice. Now, there's not a really good way to know if people changed what they wanted based on their realistic chances, but at least by what people ranked most got what they wanted. There are a few sad stories as well but I think that will happen at any school. We had some really great applicants and some average applicants and I think the match list reflects that. I do know that most people that went for acgme matched and the people I've talked to (as well as myself) matched high on the list. Most of the sad stories come from people going for the more competitive specialties in the AOA match.

For anyone that interviewed April 10th, I just called and they said letters were sent out today...

Are they calling today as well then?

Not sure, the lady mentioned that the only person that has access to the information will be away or something like that. You can call to make sure, but she basically told me I'd find out in the letter, but you're right, they did mention during the interview that they call... Maybe I just didn't get in then lol

I know a few people from my group got a call today, me not being one of them. Womp :(

Not sure, the lady mentioned that the only person that has access to the information will be away or something like that. You can call to make sure, but she basically told me I'd find out in the letter, but you're right, they did mention during the interview that they call... Maybe I just didn't get in then lol

I know a few people from my group got a call today, me not being one of them. Womp :(

Even if you're waitlist, there should still be a good chance! I was told at my interview they accept 50% of their wait list (for last year). It could be lower this year, but I imagine you still have a good shot.

Edit: Oh yeah, I was never called. My acceptance came in the mail.

Even if you're waitlist, there should still be a good chance! I was told at my interview they accept 50% of their wait list (for last year). It could be lower this year, but I imagine you still have a good shot.

duri

Last edited:
That is so good to hear. Yes, we were told about 60 come off the waitlist as well. I don't believe I will be hearing something today. Congrats to all of you who have been accepted!

duri

I was in the April 13th group. They mailed letters out yesterday! I was told by Becky that the gentlemen who makes calls was very busy and was traveling a ton today. So, it could just be that.

I think the sky is the limit for DCOM students.

Well it's still a DO school, and there is that glass ceiling, but I would agree with the statement that students from DCOM are capable of matching anywhere in the country that will consider DO applicants. I'm not sure that's a very unique thing though. I really don't think most residency programs see DO schools as along a spectrum of quality (and make judgments based on that), but rather simply see applicants as coming from "a DO school." I was one of the students that matched into a semi "name-brand" ACGME place this year, and when I was interviewing at that program (and others), the people who interviewed me had never even heard of DCOM before. That was a bit embarrassing to be sure, but apparently it didn't matter. As a DO applicant to ACGME programs, I think you are evaluated much more on your individual achievements rather than based on what minimal pedigree that may exist among nebulous (or even nonexistent) DO school rankings.

DCOM isn't going to hold you back if you work hard, nor will the school give you any advantages if you don't. I think match lists might tell you a little bit about the culture at the school and that particular class, but it would be a mistake to think that these matches have any predictive value for you as a prospective student. You will do as well as you earn.

EDIT: After a little more consideration, I did think of one way a school can have some effect on where you match: through their network of alumni out in residency and beyond. DCOM doesn't have a very large network of alumni out there right now: we're only the 5th class of students ever to graduate from the school. That number will nearly double by the time you guys come through, and I think that could possibly make things easier. The director at the program where I matched had never heard of DCOM this year, but no doubt he will remember that one of his residents is from there when a DCOMer applies next year. That can have an effect. Hopefully we can make a difference for you guys out there, and I hope the school takes steps to maximize that resource for future students.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Did any of you currently accepted students have issues with hep b immunity? I didn't pass the hep b titer so have to get the series again. Not sure if I have to wait until I complete the series to get titers done again or just after the first shot?

You have to wait until the series is done. I also wasn't immune so I got it done during the first year of school and then got my titers redrawn during second year before rotations.

Last edited:
Does LMUDCOM want people who want to work in primary care in underserved areas, or just underserved? I looked on the website and there is not a mention of primary care to be found.

Does LMUDCOM want people who want to work in primary care in underserved areas, or just underserved? I looked on the website and there is not a mention of primary care to be found.

The school realizes the majority of people will end up in primary care (IM, FM, Peds), but also is aware that many students want to go into a specialty. The majority of students tend to stay in the Appalachian area or near by (you can check out a map of residency placements on our website), so there's more of a connection there than to primary care I believe.

Did any of you currently accepted students have issues with hep b immunity? I didn't pass the hep b titer so have to get the series again. Not sure if I have to wait until I complete the series to get titers done again or just after the first shot?

You have to wait until the series is done. I also wasn't immune so I got it done during the first year of school and then got my titers redrawn during second year before rotations.

The reason you do three is because the vaccine has a poor seroconversion rate. I was immune after my second injection, but the school does want all three documented. You could get titers done again after the first injection, but you might as well do all three to maximize your chances at conversion, unless you have money to blow.

I was in the April 13th group. They mailed letters out yesterday! I was told by Becky that the gentlemen who makes calls was very busy and was traveling a ton today. So, it could just be that.
I interviewed on the 13th too! I didn't receive a call either...

You're welcome for my concerns but I was trying to warn your future classmates on here about your ignorant *****ic views. And hinting for them to ignore your non-sense. Seems strange you'd want to highlight that but THANK YOU!

I matched what I wanted, where I wanted. No bitterness, and I am sure it came off that way to an ignoramus/douche though.

Most everyone probably realized that you saying our class match list was 'weak and somewhat depressing' was out of line seeing as you have ZERO frame of reference. You don't know **** from Shinola as far as matching a residency. The fact you somehow took our class match list as a sign of your future prospects reeks of you ignorance and complete lack of understanding of how matching works.

'No where in your rambling incoherent response did you come close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. We are all dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.'

Everyone attending DCOM this summer study hard (after you've had your summer fun) and have fun this next year. It is possible, and it goes quick. Don't let xBDSMx ruin it for you!

Quoting Billy Madison trumps all...

Hi all. I am having a hard time deciding between LMU-DCOM and PCOM-GA.

I hate to be so annoying, but does anyone know LMU's comlex step 1 pass rates / match statistics for the past couple years? What percentage of 4th years entering the match didn't match?

I'm really stressed out and looking for any way to make this decision a little easier. I didn't think deciding between school could be this difficult.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all. I am having a hard time deciding between LMU-DCOM and PCOM-GA.

I hate to be so annoying, but does anyone know LMU's comlex step 1 pass rates / match statistics for the past couple years? What percentage of 4th years entering the match didn't match?

I'm really stressed out and looking for any way to make this decision a little easier. I didn't think deciding between school could be this difficult.

Thanks in advance!

According to our deans, national first time pass rate is about 90-91% and we are always within a percentage of that and constantly pushing to do better.

There's no official rank of schools and their matches but some places do unofficial ones. The "unofficial" stat says that since LMU started matching, it has been in the top 5 DO schools for students who get their #1 match. The school can't advertise that because it's not an officially accepted rank list. (If that makes sense to you).

As far as what percentage didn't match, I'm not sure. I heard this year there was more of that in the AOA match than the ACGME. It's going to happen at whichever school and most of these people scramble I believe. Hope that helps!

I will say I love my school. The atmosphere here is unmatched. Many people who even chose to go elsewhere will admit to that. I feel like I've gotten a great education. Faculty and staff are constantly seeking out new ways to help us out.

According to our deans, national first time pass rate is about 90-91% and we are always within a percentage of that and constantly pushing to do better.

There's no official rank of schools and their matches but some places do unofficial ones. The "unofficial" stat says that since LMU started matching, it has been in the top 5 DO schools for students who get their #1 match. The school can't advertise that because it's not an officially accepted rank list. (If that makes sense to you).

As far as what percentage didn't match, I'm not sure. I heard this year there was more of that in the AOA match than the ACGME. It's going to happen at whichever school and most of these people scramble I believe. Hope that helps!

I will say I love my school. The atmosphere here is unmatched. Many people who even chose to go elsewhere will admit to that. I feel like I've gotten a great education. Faculty and staff are constantly seeking out new ways to help us out.

I ABSOLUTELY loved LMU, definitely the best atmosphere I have seen in all of my interviews. How long do you get for board studying after second year? Do you have to set up your own rotations in third year, or do people help you with that? I have so many specific questions, and I'm not sure who to ask! Thanks for your response.

I ABSOLUTELY loved LMU, definitely the best atmosphere I have seen in all of my interviews. How long do you get for board studying after second year? Do you have to set up your own rotations in third year, or do people help you with that? I have so many specific questions, and I'm not sure who to ask! Thanks for your response.

This year they're trying something new. We took our last systems course exam on Monday. We only have OPP (our manipulation class) and FMHC (ethics, bio stats, etc) right now. So we have about 4 hours of class and 1.5 hours of lab a week. We have a deadline of June 10 to take COMLEX. So we have about 6 weeks of no to little distractions for boards. To compensate for this, we do have to come back June 11-24 for a "rotations boot camp" if you will. It's all practical skills, refreshers, and hands on training. It's gonna be long days but there's no exams.

Core rotations are set up for you. After that you have two options. If you chose to rotate with a doc off our already-approved list (given to you second year), you email your rotations coordinator with the dates and doc and they set it up if the docs available. If you chose someone off the list, you contact the doc first and see if they're available and then send their info to your rotations coordinator and they do the paperwork with the doc to get things set up. So it's a nice mix of freedom and assistance.

Let me know if you have more questions!