Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did everyone's interview day end at 4:30pm sharp?

Now i wish i had gotten one of the morning spots so i can check out that park or flew out on sunday instead of saturday

any current students have any spare time to show me around the park?

Members don't see this ad.

My GPAs are not the best but figured my working full-time through undergrad as a phleb would help that. :shrug:

GPA 3.2. sGPA 3.3. MCAT 25. Hospital experience 10,000 hours (Phlebotomist, EMT), Volunteer hours- 300ish. Shadowed DO and two MDs, letters from all.
I'm in the same boat as you. Lots of hospital experience, 26 MCAT, 3.6 GPA and 3.5 ish sGPA....made clear I wanted a family-oriented, rural environment. Not sure what they want. Haven't gotten a letter yet but didnt get a call.

did everyone's interview day end at 4:30pm sharp?

Now i wish i had gotten one of the morning spots so i can check out that park or flew out on sunday instead of saturday

any current students have any spare time to show me around the park?
It ended close to 4:30 but I think it was a little after. It's a great view so you should definitely check it out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Both of you sound like awesome applicants. The only thing I can think of is maybe essays and stuff? I don't know. I know they really want to see passion and uniqueness. Sometimes telling stories makes you stand out, it shows you care and allows them to see things through your eyes a bit. Shows them how real of a person you are.

I'm definitely not saying you all didn't do that, I'm just trying to think of other things they look at.

Both of you sound like awesome applicants. The only thing I can think of is maybe essays and stuff? I don't know. I know they really want to see passion and uniqueness. Sometimes telling stories makes you stand out, it shows you care and allows them to see things through your eyes a bit. Shows them how real of a person you are.

I'm definitely not saying you all didn't do that, I'm just trying to think of other things they look at.
Yeah I just am thinking for me personally, maybe it's not the right school if that's what they're mostly concerned with... I think I'm a good applicant and I have a lot of different experiences, but they were so concerned about hobbies in my interview. That frustrated me. I feel like I couldn't get out who I am as an applicant because they kept focusing on what I do for fun. :(

I think that's one thing most medical schools definitely look at. They want someone who is very well rounded and has a life outside of school as well. So many people follow the perfect formula of high GPA, high MCAT, and tons of experience in a medical setting. That's why it's so important to stand out and be different. At my school, which has very close connections with a medical school, we are basically COACHED to get involved in clubs and do things outside of medicine. Being different and standing out is becoming so important as med school is becoming more competitive. So many of us are qualified that they have no other way to "weed" people out if that makes any sense.

Like I said, I'm not saying you aren't good enough by any means because I don't know you at all. I'm just trying to offer advice and share what I have been told because I feel very fortunate to have gone to one of the top 10 pre-medical schools in the U.S.

Typically if you get an interview at LMU, you're qualified on paper. Your stats wouldn't be a problem. The interview is designed for them to see if you're a good fit for the school. Are you going to work well with the other students? Will you respectfully interact with the faculty and staff? Do they think you'll be happy here or miserable (making it harder to succeed)? That's typically why the interview questions are more relaxed. They've turned down students with MCATS in the 30 to 34 range because they didn't mesh personality wise. You'll find the right place for you and you'll be much happier because of it!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sure you'll find the perfect fit for you :) You all seem very smart and perseverant.

Wow, that's crazy and also a little frightening. o_O I expect medical school to be extremely difficult, but in my (pre-med) brain I always console myself by saying "Well, you got through undergrad just fine at 18yo while working 30 hours a week and volunteering...surely you can handle medical school at 24yo, which will be your full time job and sole responsibility". Do many new students at DCOM have a hard time adjusting to the pressure? Is this common at many schools?

I sucked at the beginning of medical school....now I'd go back in a second. Going from med school to residency is like going from elementary school straight to Harvard. Seriously though, you figure it out if you really want it. The ones that aren't fully committed are the ones that don't make it. Heads up though to all you early med students....it gets infinitely harder (and more cool?).

-sincerely,

super stressed intern.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that's one thing most medical schools definitely look at. They want someone who is very well rounded and has a life outside of school as well. So many people follow the perfect formula of high GPA, high MCAT, and tons of experience in a medical setting. That's why it's so important to stand out and be different. At my school, which has very close connections with a medical school, we are basically COACHED to get involved in clubs and do things outside of medicine. Being different and standing out is becoming so important as med school is becoming more competitive. So many of us are qualified that they have no other way to "weed" people out if that makes any sense.

Like I said, I'm not saying you aren't good enough by any means because I don't know you at all. I'm just trying to offer advice and share what I have been told because I feel very fortunate to have gone to one of the top 10 pre-medical schools in the U.S.
That's true, I'm just not sure what "unique" means in that sense. I've traveled, I play instruments, etc. But it's not like I've lived in a foreign country for a year or go skydiving or anything like that. If that's the kind of thing they're looking for (I really don't know what they're looking for), then maybe it's not the right school for me. I guess we'll see!

Typically if you get an interview at LMU, you're qualified on paper. Your stats wouldn't be a problem. The interview is designed for them to see if you're a good fit for the school. Are you going to work well with the other students? Will you respectfully interact with the faculty and staff? Do they think you'll be happy here or miserable (making it harder to succeed)? That's typically why the interview questions are more relaxed. They've turned down students with MCATS in the 30 to 34 range because they didn't mesh personality wise. You'll find the right place for you and you'll be much happier because of it!
Thank you very much! Just for the sake of knowledge, what are they looking for personality-wise, just so I know what I may have done wrong. I know they are very family-oriented, I am too, and I made that clear, I said I wanted to live in a rural area and talked about Appalachia. I said I love working with people and all of that too. What has been your experience?

Thank you very much! Just for the sake of knowledge, what are they looking for personality-wise, just so I know what I may have done wrong. I know they are very family-oriented, I am too, and I made that clear, I said I wanted to live in a rural area and talked about Appalachia. I said I love working with people and all of that too. What has been your experience?
They aren't necessarily looking for a rural doc wanting to work in Appalachia. I'm from OOS and have no connection to the area and made no mention of wanting to stay to practice. I just said I liked the outdoors.

I'm in the same boat as you. Lots of hospital experience, 26 MCAT, 3.6 GPA and 3.5 ish sGPA....made clear I wanted a family-oriented, rural environment. Not sure what they want. Haven't gotten a letter yet but didnt get a call.

I'm just holding on to the fact they said 50% move off the wait-list...so I guess it's time to be proactive (which is in my case retaking 2-3 classes) and send a letter of interest with updates in a few months .

But yeah I spent summers working on a ranch outside of Nashville and talked about everything I did for fun too. I'm thinking it was my grades or like others said they didn't see a good fit......

Are you the one that's goin to be interviewing with me on 10/4?

Members don't see this ad :)
So the interview day only has one 30 minute interview?

They aren't necessarily looking for a rural doc wanting to work in Appalachia. I'm from OOS and have no connection to the area and made no mention of wanting to stay to practice. I just said I liked the outdoors.
Lol yeah, I guess I just don't get it because I said stuff like that too. Oh well! Thanks.

So the interview day only has one 30 minute interview?
As far as the interview goes, yes, one interview that lasts from about 15-30 minutes. Mine was maybe 10-15 minutes. Other than that there's a tour/financial aid information.

I'm just holding on to the fact they said 50% move off the wait-list...so I guess it's time to be proactive (which is in my case retaking 2-3 classes) and send a letter of interest with updates in a few months .

But yeah I spent summers working on a ranch outside of Nashville and talked about everything I did for fun too. I'm thinking it was my grades or like others said they didn't see a good fit......

Are you the one that's goin to be interviewing with me on 10/4?
Good luck! I have 2 more interviews that I'm trying to focus on now. Um... no I don't have an interview on 10/4.

As far as the interview goes, yes, one interview that lasts from about 15-30 minutes. Mine was maybe 10-15 minutes. Other than that there's a tour/financial aid information.
Well there is your problem in itself. An interview that short is never a good sign IMO.

Well there is your problem in itself. An interview that short is never a good sign IMO.

At this school, I would not consider it a warning sign. When they interview students, they know what they are looking for and if someone can demonstrate those characteristics. I don't see why they would keep the interviewee longer than needed. I have heard a ton of stories of students saying "yah, in my interview we talked about *cool fun thing* for 15 minutes and why I want to be a DO or why DCOM for only 3 minutes or less".

I'm not sure that's the case. I saw a lot of people come back earlier than 30 minutes. And in that time they asked a lot of questions.
Mine went for around 45min since I was in the last group. Does it mean anything? I don't know. I was just going based on my experience since I was accepted.

Who else is about to poop their pants waiting for a call tomorrow?

Well mine was maybe 20 minutes including walking there and back, and me asking them a question which she answered for about 2-3 minutes. And I was accepted

Reactions: 1 users
I'm behind, I took my MCAT and now waiting on my results. Congrats to all who have been accepted already!!!

Where do students live in other than the University Inn Apartment? Can a family with young kids live in the University Inn Apartment?
Do you know about the public or private elementary school system around the school, either Harrogate or Middlesboro? Any student having a kid going to the elementary school? How is the school?

Any information about housing and elementary schools are greatly appreciated. ^^*

Where do students live in other than the University Inn Apartment? Can a family with young kids live in the University Inn Apartment?
Do you know about the public or private elementary school system around the school, either Harrogate or Middlesboro? Any student having a kid going to the elementary school? How is the school?

Any information about housing and elementary schools are greatly appreciated. ^^*

No, the university housing does not allow children. There are many apartments and houses for rent in the area. Your best bet would be to post on the FB pages and try dcomdo.com. Many people do have kids in the school systems and once again the FB page would be a great place to ask. Always join your class's page and the year above you. That way you have access to those who've been through it all before.

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted! I've been complete almost a month and still haven't heard anything. I'm really hoping I haven't been silently rejected.

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted! I've been complete almost a month and still haven't heard anything. I'm really hoping I haven't been silently rejected.

This school doesn't do silent rejections. A month of hearing nothing is normal. I went 2-3 months of being complete, called and asked if they needed anything, was told that I should hear something soon, waited two more weeks, called again, and ended up scheduling my own interview. I know everyone hates this word, but patience is the only answer.

Congratulations to everyone accepted. This is very exciting news for you and I know you are on a high right now. It is a big step to be able to get into medical school and be on your way toward becoming a physician.

I just finished a slew of night shifts this last two weeks and now my internal clock is screwed up. As I was laying in bed, I was thinking of some things and thought I would get on here and share a few thoughts with everyone, accepted or not.

While it is safe to say that being accepted is a huge hurdle and the beginning of a roller coaster of emotions for the rest of your life, it will not be the last high you experience, and it certainly will not come without a plethora of lows. Here are a few things I would suggest thinking about while you gear up for this process. Don't spend too much time on them, but place them in the back of your head for when you are laying in bed unable to sleep. In no way am I implying that you should start studying anytime between now and next August. Finish out Undergrad (if you haven't yet) and then take a much needed break. It will be the last stress free break you will get for a long time. However, these are questions and thoughts you should think about to better prepare yourself for success when you start medical school. In no way do I claim to be an expert or perfect at this process. These are just my thoughts and opinions as I have gone through the last 3 years.

1) Learn how you learn: Throughout undergrad, you probably had some classes that were difficult to you. Perhaps it was the professor that couldn't teach well, you couldn't understand his accent or the material really wasn't your cup of tea. Whatever it was, you still had to struggle to learn the material and pass tests. You may have tried different study strategies, got a tutor or even stopped going to class and read the book to learn. Whatever you did, hopefully you did something. As "pre-med" students, we are a driven bunch that try to look for solutions to problems. Hence, why you got into medical school. But, sometimes I think we get caught up in trying to find an external solution and fail to look for an internal solution. Over the next few months, I would strongly encourage you to take a look at yourself and come to some sort of consensus of how you learn. Are you a visual learner using diagrams and pictures? Do you learn best from someone talking to you or do you learn best talking to others? Are you the type of person to prefer to read a book instead of listening to an instructor? Learning what type of learner you are will serve you well as you go through this process. Strategies you used in Undergraduate may or may not work for you in Medical school. In an analogy, the material each day is comparable to the Fire Hose scene in the 1989 weird al classic UHF (here is a link if you are unsure of the reference). For example, I use to type my extensive notes in Undergrad and read through them over and over again. I had pages and pages of notes and this was acceptable because my class load was lighter than what it was in Med school. I could not use this strategy when starting at DCOM due to the information being too much and had to learn a different way of memorizing and learning. It wasn't until my first test that I realized I am 99% a visual learner and need to read and draw diagrams on my own to learn. Once I figured that out, I was able to get through the material much more efficiently and retain it. On the opposite spectrum, a friend of mine is very much so an auditory learner. He would watch lecture videos 3 or 4 times in order to learn the material. This worked well for him and certainly would have failed for me. We each had different strategies, but the same goal: learn the material. In short, learn how you learn.

2) How do you do under pressure? Unfortunately this question is a trick question. When you decided to go to medical school, you unknowingly entered into a field with unwavering pressure. However, it is safe to say that depending on your careful planning skills, you can opt to remain on the lower side of the pressure scale if you choose, more often than not. With that being said, are you the type of person who likes to plan and avoid procrastination? or will you justify extra play time at the expense of increasing the amount of pressure you have to get work done? Like I said, this is a trick question because there is always pressure, it is also a trick question, because if you are the type of person who thrives under pressure, you can play more often, study less and still excel throughout this process; these people frustrate the former, but what can you do. I for one, am not the type of person who necessarily excels when pressure is overwhelming. Therefore, I am a planner. I plan and think ahead to avoid pressure as much as possible. If I know that there is a lot of material to cover the next week, I will take more time the week before to cover material not yet discussed in hopes of preparing myself for the busy coming week. Yes, this sometimes bit me in the butt, as professors may take material out of there lecture and I spent time learning it, but in the long run, it was something still associated with medicine and added to my overall general knowledge. Occasionally, the material was brought back up later down the road in another class and I was already aware of it. I digress. But, ask yourself how you do under pressure and plan accordingly. The last thing you want is to have an overwhelming amount of information to study with too little time to study it. The end result is always the same, disappointing.

3) How do you handle failure or sub-par performance? Kind of a scary question. No one likes to admit that they may or may not fail. I hope that no one in the coming classes do fail, however lets be realistic, failure happens. You can find millions of fail videos over Youtube showing this natural phenomenon. We are human and innately fall from time to time. Sometimes at no fault of our own. With that being said, when you fall, how do you handle it? Do you sink into a pit of despair, becoming doom and gloom? Or do you take failure as a challenge to push harder, think smarter and plan more? It is easy when things are going wrong to point a finger at someone other than yourself. It takes real courage to look at yourself and ask, "did I push as hard as I could, think how I was asked to think and find a solution to the problem?". This type of attitude will be invaluable throughout your career and serve you well if you develop it. Don't get me wrong, all of us have moments of pessimism, I am not one to claim exception. I was very much so a doom and gloom type individual at the beginning of medical school. I have gotten better with time, but my wife will be the first to tell you I still have my moments. If your thoughts mainly consist of blaming others for sub-par performance or behavior, you have a virus and need to do some cleansing. It will only cause you and those around you pain and frustration. Being accepted to medical school, it is up to you to look for solutions and avoid blaming. The school will provide the knowledge, only you can do the learning.

4) What is more important, grades, board scores or extracurricular activities? This question you probably don't have to think about until you are a month out from starting. However, I thought I would bring it up so you can think about it at the dawn of your first day. Throughout medical school you will often find yourself talking with other students about different medical fields. You will probably talk about competitive and not so competitive specialties, earning potentials, hours worked and probably expectations that may or may not be unrealistic. This is okay and an important part of your medical school experience. However, caution on spending too much time discussing it. In addition, caution on the misconception that EC activities are a make all break all component of matching where you want*. This falls under the category of competitive specialties and what they want in an applicant. While they may have a role in the process, the bigger thing to think about is learning the material to becoming a physician. You cannot treat a patient if you don't know the information. Your days as the student class president or president of the womens health club will be worthless in an ACLS situation or when a patient presents with an infectious disease. When you start medical school, you will be bombarded with emails consisting of clubs, events, leadership opportunities and much more. DCOM is good to help make sure none of this happens until after your first test. However, it is still your responsibility after DCOM opens the club gates to analyze your abilities and determine from there your options. Your first and foremost responsibility is to make sure that you can successfully learn and test on the things you are learning. Avoid joining clubs, activities and leadership positions until you are 110% certain that you can successfully balance the responsibilities of learning aforementioned water-hose information. Then and only then should you think about adding extracurricular activities to your already stressful load. If you want a competitive specialty, great, but the principle still stands; if you don't do well in school and pass your boards with flying colors, you wont match into that specialty anyway, so the EC activity will be worthless. My current student government president is a perfect example of determining your abilities and then acting on them. He did/does great in school and then determined he would get involved in student government. To my knowledge and from what I see, he balances both beautifully. If, at the beginning of classes you find that you are behind, struggling to stay caught up and not performing at your best, don't contemplate adding the stress of a leadership position, big or small onto your plate.

*I have not yet gone through the matching process, however my experience thus far in rotations and school helps to verify my comments. If you don't know the material and have the scores to boot, who cares what you have done outside of school.

Sorry if this post is misplaced. It is not my goal to discourage or distract from the exciting news of being accepted to a career and profession that is noble, honorable and fulfilling. However, I do want to plant some seeds that will hopefully help keep pain at a minimum and add to a successful experience. I wish all of you the best of luck, both accepted and not accepted. Medicine is a persistence game. Keep on keeping on and you will get where you want to go. If you have been accepted, go out and celebrate, spoil yourself a little, with reason of course. For those of you still waiting to get that exciting phone call both pre and post interview, keep your head up. Good things come to those who wait.

Reactions: 4 users
Just a heads up on what to expect for the interview:
Day-of you will arrive and meet in the conference room to receive a packet that will include the names of who you are interviewing with. Morning interviewers will interview first and then do tours and complimentary lunch followed by some school information lectures. I believe afternoon interviewers meet up in conference room, receive packets, maybe do a brief tour then they have lunch and interviews sometime after that.
The interview times begin with everyone in your morning or afternoon group in the conference room. You are interviewed by two people at the same time, usually one will come grab you and then take you back to the room you will be interviewing in. The interviews are closed file- entirely. This doesn't mean they don't just know your scores, they don't know anything about you (or at least they didn't for me). So be prepared to briefly do a run down of your life and how you got to this point. The interview is very relaxed, honestly it felt more like a conversation than an interview. Some of the prospective students there said they were asked some ethical questions or weird questions like 'What kind of cookie would you be?'. I just had the typical Why DO, Why Dr, and What do you do for fun. We talked more about the fun part than anything else.
I think of all the interviews I've ever done this one is the hardest to judge on how you did. It really is a conversation. I guess so they can see how your personality matches with the university. I hope that helps someone out in the future about what to expect. Good-luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
I got an email a couple of weeks back says that my application is not competitive for an interview at the moment and will be reviewed again. I have 3.7 gpa and 3.65 sgpa and 27 mcat and I am from Kentucky, with MD and DO letters and passion to work in a rural area, how is that not competitive?

I've found that this school judges that kind of oddly. I have a 3.6 GPA and a 26 MCAT, lots of letters as well and a passion to work in a rural area...also made clear that there are certain problems in Appalachia that I want to be a part of helping. They focus more on extracurriculars I think. That's how I realized that this school isn't really for me. Your numbers don't matter as much, apparently they just care if you're "unique."
I got an email a couple of weeks back says that my application is not competitive for an interview at the moment and will be reviewed again. I have 3.7 gpa and 3.65 sgpa and 27 mcat and I am from Kentucky, with MD and DO letters and passion to work in a rural area, how is that not competitive?

I've found that this school judges that kind of oddly. I have a 3.6 GPA and a 26 MCAT, lots of letters as well and a passion to work in a rural area...also made clear that there are certain problems in Appalachia that I want to be a part of helping. They focus more on extracurriculars I think. That's how I realized that this school isn't really for me. Your numbers don't matter as much, apparently they just care if you're "unique."

Helpful links explaining why numbers aren't everything:
http://www.princetonreview.com/med-school-advice/application-beyond-the-numbers

http://www.collegexpress.com/intere...hool/how-be-competitive-med-school-applicant/

http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...sons-medical-school-applications-are-rejected

http://www.medhopeful.com/archive/traits-medical-schools-are-lookin-for-in-applicants/

Reactions: 1 users

This school is very fit-based. They can probably tell from essays what your intention is and if it is just to get into any school, then they'll put you on the back burner.

I know numbers aren't everything, but I don't think hobbies should be everything either lol.
It's not really hobbies, and the extra-curriculars aren't everything either. They're looking at what you've done to build teamwork skills, leadership skills, communication skills. They're looking at whether or not you care about your community. Have you put in a lot of volunteer work into one place to show commitment? Different things like that. Building character goes way beyond what you like to do for fun.

It's not really hobbies, and the extra-curriculars aren't everything either. They're looking at what you've done to build teamwork skills, leadership skills, communication skills. They're looking at whether or not you care about your community. Have you put in a lot of volunteer work into one place to show commitment? Different things like that. Building character goes way beyond what you like to do for fun.
I'm just basing it off of what they asked me in my interview. The only question they asked was about hobbies, and they built everything off of that. I didn't get one question about why I wanted to be a doctor, etc., just what I do for fun. I don't think that was fair. Just putting in my two cents.