Lincoln Memorial DeBusk (LMU-DCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if they do acceptances for next years class from the wait list? Just wondering.

Thanks
The 'next years class' is throwing me off lol, so I'll answer both ways. They are pulling off the wait list for the 2020 class but an earlier post said that they stopped until people dropped their acceptances. If you are talking about the 2021 class, I don't think I have ever heard of them doing so.

I know at least 4 or 5 people who are accepted for the 2020 class who were waitlisted for the 2019 class. I'm not sure if DCOM will continue doing this in the future, but it did happen at least.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I know at least 4 or 5 people who are accepted for the 2020 class who were waitlisted for the 2019 class. I'm not sure if DCOM will continue doing this in the future, but it did happen at least.

Accepted into 2020 without reapplying? Or accepted as reapplicants? I can see the latter happening easily, the former... I think less likely.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted into 2020 without reapplying? Or accepted as reapplicants? I can see the latter happening easily, the former... I think less likely.

At least 2 people I know for a fact got accepted without reapplying. The others, I'm not 100% certain about, but I think the situation was the same.

Members don't see this ad :)

Accepted without reapplying occurs under very unique circumstances. From what I know, this only happens when someone drops in late July and the applicant is already at the school either as a current Masters or incoming Masters attending anatomy boot camp. It is not common.

Accepted without reapplying occurs under very unique circumstances. From what I know, this only happens when someone drops in late July and the applicant is already at the school either as a current Masters or incoming Masters attending anatomy boot camp. It is not common.

So. Less likely?

Anyone with under a 500 MCAT mind sharing if you were accepted and what your GPA was and if there was anything "unusual"/ nontraditional about your app?

Last edited:
I have just declined my acceptance here. I hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist soon!

Just gave up my seat here today. I hope it goes to one of you here on the waitlist! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
I'd look in the thread in the postbac section of the forum for more info on the program - but the gist of it is this: the program isn't as sure of a safetynet as it used to be unless you are an Anatomical Sciences student. The class size for the Masters program made a huge jump from about 60-70 students to 140 students this year. Taking out that about 20 of them are vet students, that still leaves 120 students in the program. Your admissions to DCOM through the masters will depend on your MCAT and overall performance - meaning getting a B, preferably an A in medical gross anatomy while standing out amongst your peers.

From what I know, a lot of students from the biomedical program are waitlisted.

There were a few units available as late as July last year, but I wouldn't bank on it so I'd get a move on. Check dcomdo.com for off-campus housing or join the Class of 2020 page on facebook for listings! You'll hear mixed stories about the Inn - it'll depend really on how much you stay in your room versus being on campus. The walls are thin, the hallways sometimes smell funny, the cell service is zero inside the building, water stops running occasionally, and at some point, someone will set the fire alarm off and you'll all have to leave the building to stand outside at 3:00AM while waiting for the fire department to come shut it off the week of an exam. I personally could not live there.
What are some good apartments/dorms for medical students?

There's Ball apartments, they are just a bit away from campus but a lot of PA students and dcom students live there. I live at the Inn (which I really like) which is owned by the school but it's off campus (a whole 5 minute drive) so there's no large undergrad population. There is a brand new graduate housing being finished right now but it's on campus and that's all I know about it. I just got an email about if from the house manager letting folks know, to let her know if they wanted to move into it next year.

Hey guys, class of 2021 here, just wondering if you get any notifications after sending in the deposit and matriculation agreement? Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

If you choose the Ball apartments be aware that there's a train track that runs behind them and trains come through at all hours of the day and night. I'm used to it now, but if you're someone who hates being woken up at 3am by train horns, choose LMU housing.

If you choose the Ball apartments be aware that there's a train track that runs behind them and trains come through at all hours of the day and night. I'm used to it now, but if you're someone who hates being woken up at 3am by train horns, choose LMU housing.

So what are some good/best apartments in your opinion?

So what are some good/best apartments in your opinion?

It all depends on what you're looking for and what you're comfortable with. I did Mars/Lee my first year here. I thought the apartments were fine if you don't mind sharing a kitchen and living space with 2 other people. Living with others is a good way to make friends your first year. They also allow pets this year, which is nice. I hear the Inn is creepy but I've never been inside of the rooms so I'll let someone else speak to that. However, the hallways look like a run-down hotel to me. If you want school housing and you also want an entire apartment to yourself you'll be looking at the Inn as your only option. Included in your rent is access to the pool that they refurbished this summer as well as a nice gym that is never busy. There's a bigger gym on campus but if you like exercising in an empty gym, this one is great. Mars/Lee and Inn students all have access to these facilities. The drive to school is literally 2 minutes. There are dumpsters in the parking lot where you can throw your trash bags. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal until you have to walk all the way out there in the snow to throw your trash away.

If you want to live alone and won't be bothered by the occasional train horn the Ball apartments are really very nice. Rent next year will be $575 and then you pay an additional amount (I think 30$/month but I can't remember) for washer dryer. My electric bill is usually 40-60$/month and I pay for the second best internet and no cable which is $75/ month. Water is included in the rent. In total I pay slightly more than if I were to live in Mars/Lee with 2 room mates. The Ball apartments also allow pets. They are located 5 minutes drive from school. Trash pick up is 20$ a month but you can split that with your neighbor if you want to reduce costs and you can't fill an entire trashcan. If you choose to dispose of your own trash, the dump is 5 minutes up the road.

There are some other apartments currently being built in the same-ish area as Ball. If I had to choose again, I'd probably pick those. The last option is renting out a house with a few other people. This is probably the cheapest option. People will start posting about needing room mates for a house on your class's Facebook page when its started. If you decide on this option you can look for housing in Harrogate, Morristown, La Follette (30-40 minutes from school, but much closer to knoxville), Cumberland Gap, New Tazewell, or Middlesboro (it's in KY but is like a 5-10 minute drive from campus) just to name a few places.

This is a good website to help find off campus housing http://www.dcomdo.com/view-ads

It all depends on what you're looking for and what you're comfortable with. I did Mars/Lee my first year here. I thought the apartments were fine if you don't mind sharing a kitchen and living space with 2 other people. Living with others is a good way to make friends your first year. They also allow pets this year, which is nice. I hear the Inn is creepy but I've never been inside of the rooms so I'll let someone else speak to that. However, the hallways look like a run-down hotel to me. If you want school housing and you also want an entire apartment to yourself you'll be looking at the Inn as your only option. Included in your rent is access to the pool that they refurbished this summer as well as a nice gym that is never busy. There's a bigger gym on campus but if you like exercising in an empty gym, this one is great. Mars/Lee and Inn students all have access to these facilities. The drive to school is literally 2 minutes. There are dumpsters in the parking lot where you can throw your trash bags. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal until you have to walk all the way out there in the snow to throw your trash away.

If you want to live alone and won't be bothered by the occasional train horn the Ball apartments are really very nice. Rent next year will be $575 and then you pay an additional amount (I think 30$/month but I can't remember) for washer dryer. My electric bill is usually 40-60$/month and I pay for the second best internet and no cable which is $75/ month. Water is included in the rent. In total I pay slightly more than if I were to live in Mars/Lee with 2 room mates. The Ball apartments also allow pets. They are located 5 minutes drive from school. Trash pick up is 20$ a month but you can split that with your neighbor if you want to reduce costs and you can't fill an entire trashcan. If you choose to dispose of your own trash, the dump is 5 minutes up the road.

There are some other apartments currently being built in the same-ish area as Ball. If I had to choose again, I'd probably pick those. The last option is renting out a house with a few other people. This is probably the cheapest option. People will start posting about needing room mates for a house on your class's Facebook page when its started. If you decide on this option you can look for housing in Harrogate, Morristown, La Follette (30-40 minutes from school, but much closer to knoxville), Cumberland Gap, New Tazewell, or Middlesboro (it's in KY but is like a 5-10 minute drive from campus) just to name a few places.

This is a good website to help find off campus housing http://www.dcomdo.com/view-ads

Thanks! Do you know anything about on campus housing? I hear new graduate housing is being built?

Thanks! Do you know anything about on campus housing? I hear new graduate housing is being built?
I've never been in the old on campus apartments. I can say however, that they are modeled exactly like Mars and Lee except they don't have dishwashers. Really theres no reason to stay on campus, unless you don't have a car then maybe? But no one really walks to class so yea, theres no reason to stay on campus. Sorry but I don't know anything about the new on campus apartments.

Seems like every year there's a problem with the boilers at the Inn. This morning was the 5th time in 2 weeks I took half a bath by boiling water with a coffeemaker and using a salad bowl. Last year was the same deal. Banging pipes all day and night until it was fixed. Last year they turned off all the water completely for a day so I had to drive to campus at 2AM to use the bathroom. Pro tip - don't eat hot wings for dinner if they tell you they're gonna shut off the water. The rest of the year is fine I guess. It's the price you pay if you want to live alone. I've lived in a rural part of a third world country and used buckets to bathe, but at least they had hot water all the time. I can't wait to get out of here during break.

So what apartments do you think are the best or fanciest?

Best option is rent a house without roommates. On campus housing and the Inn are both terrible.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Can someone please explain how DCOM rotations work? Are you assigned a core hospital for all of third year? Or do you rotate hospitals? I've heard it can get really complicated.Current students what do you think of LMU DCOM's rotation system? Thanks!

Can someone please explain how DCOM rotations work? Are you assigned a core hospital for all of third year? Or do you rotate hospitals? I've heard it can get really complicated.Current students what do you think of LMU DCOM's rotation system? Thanks!
You get assigned a hospital for 3rd year by lottery. The required 3rd year rotations there are 1 month of FM, Peds, Psych, Surgery, OBGYN, and 2 months of IM. The rest of the year you can do rotations wherever you want or you can just stay at your core site and do them. You do have to find your own non required rotations and we use a website that shows where rotations have been set up already.

You get assigned a hospital for 3rd year by lottery. The required 3rd year rotations there are 1 month of FM, Peds, Psych, Surgery, OBGYN, and 2 months of IM. The rest of the year you can do rotations wherever you want or you can just stay at your core site and do them. You do have to find your own non required rotations and we use a website that shows where rotations have been set up already.

Last edited:

Look up T&K Rentals--they have a few buildings, cheaper than Ball or the Inn and only ~3 years old (at least the St. George apartments--also <2 miles from campus).

Any accepted students or waitlisted students have stories of applicants being accepted with unusually low MCAT or above average GPA but above average EC'S, LOR, PS, etc.?

Hello!
I wanted to check in and ask for some advice from those that have been interviewed and accepted- how would you recommend bringing up a 'blemish' in your application during the interview? I want the two faculty members that interview me be the best advocates possible when they revisit my application after the interview and I want them to be prepared when speaking with the committee and making a decision. Thank you for any advice!

I
Hello!
I wanted to check in and ask for some advice from those that have been interviewed and accepted- how would you recommend bringing up a 'blemish' in your application during the interview? I want the two faculty members that interview me be the best advocates possible when they revisit my application after the interview and I want them to be prepared when speaking with the committee and making a decision. Thank you for any advice!

I don't think you should bring it up unless they ask about it.They offered you a interview spot so they must think you're fine academically.Just have fun and don't think too much about it!

How close are the surrounding cities? Looking more closely at Harrogate and seeing the population size.

Are there many major medical centers (job for my wife) around? Also, many options for childcare? Just concerns that come into mind looking at a smaller city... I know it's right on the border with Kentucky, but I'm still not familiar at all with the area.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

What happened with this? Are you at LMU? Did you find childcare and a job for your wife? I'll be in need of both if accepted (wife is a pediatric PA).

What happened with this? Are you at LMU? Did you find childcare and a job for your wife? I'll be in need of both if accepted (wife is a pediatric PA).
Hey bud, I didnt end up interviewing. Childcare is available there but I dont know about job availabilites for your wife.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile