Michigan State c/o 2018 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If MSU sticks with what it did last year, then it seems like we should start hearing about acceptances tomorrow. The way they did it last year, decisions came out in the first week of December and usually on Fridays. Last year's thread suggests that the first people to hear were the top 5% of SIS scores.

Unfortunately, based on last year's thread, they don't send out rejections until March. I purposely scheduled myself to volunteer tomorrow so that I'm not jumping with every e-mail I get--but fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be driving to Gainesville tomorrow for my interview with UF on Saturday and I'm going to be so anxious the entire ride wondering if an email is coming.

Reactions: 1 user
So I just got my nutrition class figured out for the spring. This is probably a dumb question, but should I contact admissions and inform them about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm driving myself crazy waiting... anyone hear anything yet?

So I just got my nutrition class figured out for the spring. This is probably a dumb question, but should I contact admissions and inform them about this?

I don't see why you would. They haven't asked when we plan on taking future pre-reqs so it's probably unnecessary.

I don't see why you would. They haven't asked when we plan on taking future pre-reqs so it's probably unnecessary.

If MSU sticks with what it did last year, then it seems like we should start hearing about acceptances tomorrow. The way they did it last year, decisions came out in the first week of December and usually on Fridays. Last year's thread suggests that the first people to hear were the top 5% of SIS scores.

Unfortunately, based on last year's thread, they don't send out rejections until March. I purposely scheduled myself to volunteer tomorrow so that I'm not jumping with every e-mail I get--but fingers crossed!

I wonder why they send out the rejections so late.

Safe to say we won't be hearing anything today? Man... I'm driving myself crazy.

@dressage5 You got us all excited for today!! Haha! Oh well... the wait continues! Good luck to all!

@dressage5 You got us all excited for today!! Haha! Oh well... the wait continues! Good luck to all!

I know! My apologies--I had my hopes that MSU would follow last year, but I guess not. Maybe the new VMCAS verification system delayed things, or they just like to keep us guessing!

I spoke with someone in admissions a few days ago and she said they would not start sending out acceptances or rejections for at least another few weeks

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an acceptance email!!! Im gonna be a vet!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaahhhhhh!

Reactions: 4 users
:claps::laugh:ME TOO!!!! YAAAAY!! Best day ever! We are going to be VETS!!! I want to cry right now. So happy! Congrats remi!!

Hello All,
I am new to SDN (have been lurking for a while), but I just got my acceptance from MSU too!!! AHHHH

Me too! I couldn't be happier--MSU is the only school I applied to, so it feels great to be accepted!

This is just the beginning of the acceptances though--many more coming for the other MSU applicants in the next few months!

OH MY GOD I CAN'T EVEN BREATHE!!!!! I GOT ACCEPTED!!!!:love::soexcited: I can't even wrap my head around the fact that I WILL BE A VET!!!

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE ONE WHO GOT ACCEPTED :highfive:!!!!!

If you haven't heard yet, chin up! They did them every other week in the past. Good luck to you all!!!:luck::xf:

Congratulations!!!! Anyone willing to post their GPA/GRE stats? SIS score estimate from the MSU website? http://cvm.msu.edu/student-information/dvm-program-admissions/scholastic-indicator-score-calculator

Just trying to see where MSU is with acceptances. Thanks.
Um my SIS is around a 930... I don't remember my exact science gpa or how they calculate it (and my apologies for not looking it up) but that should still be around my score

Well my stats are pretty unimpressive, but I got an acceptance email today too so I may as well share to give some people hope.
I think my SIS was around 840, cumulative GPA as calculated by VMCAS 2.82, last 45 ~3.7, GRE 156 V, 154 Q.

My experiences clearly made the difference. But it's nice to see that they really take everything into account.

Reactions: 6 users
Well my stats are pretty unimpressive, but I got an acceptance email today too so I may as well share to give some people hope.
I think my SIS was around 840, cumulative GPA as calculated by VMCAS 2.82, last 45 ~3.7, GRE 156 V, 154 Q.

My experiences clearly made the difference. But it's nice to see that they really take everything into account.

This is very encouraging to hear, thank you. My SIS was around 890 (awful sciGPA) had I applied to MSU...but if I don't get in this cycle, I will definitely apply next year, since it may seem like I'll have a whisper of a chance (since I also have thousands of hours of varied experience). :) Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted! And fingers crossed for all of you still waiting!

Still can't believe this just happened! So excited!! And congrats to all of you who have also received an email :)

My stats are pretty low key; SIS of about 880 (I'm currently a Junior and won't be getting a bachelor's degree), cumulative GPA of about 3.92, GRE 154 Q, 157 V.

SIS is about 915, cGPA is 3.8, 152 and 158 for V and Q, respectively

Just curious....For those of you that got accepted was this your first time applying?

FYI, MSU doesn't consider cumulative GPA's as of this cycle. Only last 3 semesters and science are considered! So if you guys are thinking your GPA's aren't that great, your essays and experience probably caught their eye! Congrats all! Still holding out hope!

Also, found this on the website: "Our first group of notifications was sent out via e-mail mid December. The next group of notifications will be e-mailed mid-January. Notifications will be sent in batches through mid-March." Looks like we all have a bit of waiting to do. Everyone stay positive! It is a litle discouraging to not be in the first batch (I feel like I'm in the rejection pile that hasn't been mailed yet). I wonder if they are sending notifications in the order they received VMCAS apps? So many questions haha

I think I read on here that they do it by SIS score, but I'm not 100% positive.

I believe you are right. They stopped including your cumulative GPA in the SIS calculations a of this cycle. And you can get points added for any supplemental essay area they feel you are strong in (research, agriculture, etc.). At least that is what I was told in my meeting with the admissions dean. Very helpful! I think she said the average 2017 admitted applicant had an SIS of 900-930 when they included the cumulative GPA.

I'm curious. How many of you accepted were IS and OOS?

I'm OOS with a SIS around 935... last 3 semester GPA was 3.81 and 158 V 160 Q... i don't remember exact sGPA but it was a little above 3.7

Thanks for all the replies. Good information for the next app cycle (apparently). My SIS is 889 with a 3.78 Sci and 3.83 last 3 Sem. Maybe it was the essays or rec's that didn't provide enough boost. Bummed. Hopefully they will offer a file review.:bang:

They're still sending out a second batch of notifications in mid January I believe... so I think you could still get an acceptance.

Thanks for all the replies. Good information for the next app cycle (apparently). My SIS is 889 with a 3.78 Sci and 3.83 last 3 Sem. Maybe it was the essays or rec's that didn't provide enough boost. Bummed. Hopefully they will offer a file review.:bang:
They're going to keep sending out acceptances through March, so don't get bummed out! There's still plenty of time :)

I'm OOS with an SIS of 960. Don't give up hope everyone!!! Still a lot more to come it seems!

Hopefully they will offer a file review.:bang:

I haven't heard back from this app cycle yet either, but still hoping! Last year I applied to MSU and didn't get in. They sent me a file review sheet that had my stats and compared them to the app pool and accepted students stats. BUT WE MUST STILL HAVE HOPE!!:xf:

CONGRATS TO ALL ACCEPTED SO FAR!

First choice since it is my IS and my undergrad school. Only an hour and a half away from home! Hope!!

Any current Michigan students on here? I'm really excited about Michigan and am considering declining my Kansas interview (trying to already get into budgeting mode and I figured the trip to Kansas after all said and done would cost me $800) but would love to hear about how anatomy lab is run. I never actually thought I might have choices in which school to attend, so I never really allowed myself to have a top school preference. Now that I'm accepted to Michigan I'm not sure what to do next, :p I'm so excited and grateful!

Just to update everyone, we just got a snow day here at Michigan State so I bet things are going to fall behind! Professors are wondering if Tuesday might be cancelled as well. This is the third or fourth snow day in MSU history!

Any current Michigan students on here? I'm really excited about Michigan and am considering declining my Kansas interview (trying to already get into budgeting mode and I figured the trip to Kansas after all said and done would cost me $800) but would love to hear about how anatomy lab is run. I never actually thought I might have choices in which school to attend, so I never really allowed myself to have a top school preference. Now that I'm accepted to Michigan I'm not sure what to do next, :p I'm so excited and grateful!

I just finished my first semester here at MSU and I remember deciding which vet school I was going to attend. I really like MSU first semester we had a hands on class where we performed PE on many species and also did blood draws and other basic tests. Second semester we are in the hospital already learning we work with a fourth year student in a department of your choice. MSU also has weekly rounds any student can attend Wednesdays at noon are large animal rounds where the Dr. talks about current cases in the hospital and asks questions and students get to start learning how to diagnose patients there are also equine rounds, wildlife rounds, radiology rounds, and small animal rounds. MSU also encourages students to get involved with clubs and organizations. I will be attending the CDC in GA in a couple of weeks. The classes are alot of work but that is to be expected but they can be managed with a good study method. Good luck on making a decision on where you will be attending in the fall.
I also encourage you to attend the Welcome Days early they are really informative and will also help you to make a final decision on where to attend.
Also, get use to the cold weather its a beautiful campus but it gets cold in the winters.

Thanks Seadertree! I sent in my intent to enroll today! I'm so excited! The CDC is about 15 mins from my house!

Sigh... I hate this waiting game. I'm probably going to go gray lol.

Thanks Seadertree! I sent in my intent to enroll today! I'm so excited! The CDC is about 15 mins from my house!

Remi4301--I also sent in my deposit. Looks like we'll be classmates!

Anyone else hoping to hear from Michigan this week?:)

Reactions: 2 users