Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think it's good if you're really interested in the school. I'm only supposedly 4.5 hours away so I'm gonna go. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back today!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I met with Anne (the admissions advisor) and she said its a really good idea to attend the see the site and make sure you sign it. I highly doubt it'd be detrimental if you didn't but it can definitely help if you did. Msucom wants to know you're interested in their school specifically and it's a good way to show them that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted. Got the call at 3:15. 517 Area Code. Good Luck Friends!

Reactions: 8 users
I got my offer of admission today at around 1pm. Feels great! Good luck to everyoneeee out there! I hope for your best!

Since everyone always asks, here are my stats:
29 mcat
3.68 cgpa, 3.67 sgpa
Canadian

Reactions: 4 users
Can people accepted today comment on when they were completed? I submitted in mid-October and am really hoping for a reply soon.

Can people accepted today comment on when they were completed? I submitted in mid-October and am really hoping for a reply soon.

haha I submitted in June, still hoping for a reply. Good luck to you.

From what I understand, in previous cycles, people have submitted in August and only found out they were accepted in February. So MSUCOM likes to take their time.

Just out of curiosity, why are you switching from EL to the DMC?

Sorry about that; I'm switch bc Detroit is my home town, DMC was my first choice and I like how that campus is set up a little better and its newer :)

I submitted Aug. 15, found out today at 1:40pm today that I had been accepted.

Do Canadians have a choice for the campus they want to study in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!! :) do you mind my asking, what were your stats like? And when was your secondary complete?

sGPA - 3.3
GPA - 3.45
MCAT - 28

Secondary Submitted on 8/15/2014, In-State (MSU Grad)

I also took a year off to gain healthcare experience. PM if you have questions.

Reactions: 1 users
I submitted Aug. 15, found out today at 1:40pm today that I had been accepted.

Do Canadians have a choice for the campus they want to study in?

They sure do! You will be getting an email and allowed to pick once you pay your deposit

Sorry about that; I'm switch bc Detroit is my home town, DMC was my first choice and I like how that campus is set up a little better and its newer :)

Good deal! I wanted to pick your brain because I chose the DMC for next year, but I have yet to check out EL. Granted, I am going on a tour Dec 5th of EL. I have already seen Macomb and the DMC though.

Good deal! I wanted to pick your brain because I chose the DMC for next year, but I have yet to check out EL. Granted, I am going on a tour Dec 5th of EL. I have already seen Macomb and the DMC though.

You may run into me on that tour day lol, PM if you have any questions!

Got the call today! :) Complete on October 8. Good luck to everyone else waiting!

Got accepted yesterday! Canadian. For those of you concerned about secondaries, I submitted mine pretty late ~ Oct 20th and it all worked out. So there's hope!

Can someone please clarify how many semesters MSU has? On their financial aid info, they have tuition for 2 semesters and 3 semesters, but if you look at their timeline, year 1 seems to have 4 semesters? Just want to know if tuition will be $60000 all 4 years or its going to be $35,000.

Congratulations!

All the numbers you see in the "Tuition/Fees" row (first link) add up to the tuition costs. So, the first year tuition for in-state residents is somewhere around $41,800... though note that this does include the first summer semester (anatomy) that most schools don't have, so the first year is an entire twelve months. However, year two then only really has two semesters... yeah, it's kind of confusing.

In the end, if my math is correct, an in-state student will currently pay an average of ~$38,000 per year over their four years. An out-of-state student without scholarships would pay and average of ~$77,000 per year.

Tuition and budgets:
http://com.msu.edu/class_of_2019/Financial_Aid/14_15MedBudgets_OM.pdf
Preclerkship curriculum:
http://com.msu.edu/class_of_2018/Class of 2018_Curr Grid.pdf

Hope that answers your question...

Last edited:
I think its fair to say this call was for the majority of the Canadian comrades

Congratulations!

All the numbers you see in the "Tuition/Fees" row (first link) add up to the tuition costs. So, the first year tuition for in-state residents is somewhere around $41,800... though note that this does include the first summer semester (anatomy) that most schools don't have, so the first year is an entire twelve months. However, year two then only really has two semesters... yeah, it's kind of confusing.

In the end, if my math is correct, an in-state student will currently pay an average of ~$38,000 per year over their four years. An out-of-state student without scholarships would pay and average of ~$77,000 per year.

Tuition and budgets:
http://com.msu.edu/class_of_2019/Financial_Aid/14_15MedBudgets_OM.pdf
Preclerkship curriculum:
http://com.msu.edu/class_of_2018/Class of 2018_Curr Grid.pdf

Hope that answers your question...

Yes thank you! Wow out of state...that's a big bullet to bite

Received an email on Thursday that I've been placed on hold until I give them my fall grades thus far... Better than a rejection, yeah? :)

Received an email on Thursday that I've been placed on hold until I give them my fall grades thus far... Better than a rejection, yeah? :)

I would take it as a sign that you show promise and that if you do well this semester they will likely accept you.

Definitely! If you do not mind me asking, when were you complete?

I don't think it's when you complete that is a big issue. I submitted my application on Aug 15. Literally like 2 hours before the 30 day deadline that they give.

Im looking into the pro's and cons for each campus on MSU but I wanted to get some input from some current students.
So far here's what my list includes:

DMC
Pros:
Small class sizes.
New buildings
Cheaper housing
Good number of Canadians there
Around a lot of hospitals
Could live in Windsor
Free parking
Cons:
Its in Detroit

EL
Pros:
MSU campus with lots of research, athletics, students, events, etc.
Sparrow hospital is close by and there's a lot of shadowing opportunities there
The most number of Canadians there
Access to faculty
Cons:
More expensive housing
Parking isn't free

MUC
Pros:
Smaller class sizes
Cheap housing
Cons:
Suburban feel (I prefer a college town feel)

Im looking into the pro's and cons for each campus on MSU but I wanted to get some input from some current students.
So far here's what my list includes:

DMC
Pros:
Small class sizes.
New buildings
Cheaper housing
Good number of Canadians there
Around a lot of hospitals
Could live in Windsor
Free parking
Cons:
Its in Detroit

EL
Pros:
MSU campus with lots of research, athletics, students, events, etc.
Sparrow hospital is close by and there's a lot of shadowing opportunities there
The most number of Canadians there
Access to faculty
Cons:
More expensive housing
Parking isn't free

MUC
Pros:
Smaller class sizes
Cheap housing
Cons:
Suburban feel (I prefer a college town feel)

Not a current student, but I have some additional info for you.

DMC parking is not free. You have to pay for a pass there. Also, the facilities are new, but the buildings they are in aren't. It is located within the hospital of the DMC, but it's very nice. Also, I don't know why it's a con that it is in Detroit? It's in a hip area...right across the street from Wayne's med school and very close to the VA and other hospitals, as well as the DIA.

Sparrow hospital is very small, just FYI.

MUC has free parking.

Dec 1st is the deadline I believe, many of us should start hearing news quickly after that date

from the update email....

Applicant summary, as of 11/24/14

All AACOMAS Applicants: 5777

Total Seat Deposits Paid: 102
Outstanding Admit Offers: 105

Of the offers/seats paid:

Canadian Seat Deposits Paid: 7

Outstanding Canadian Offers: 12

MCAT range of accepted applicants: 24-38

Science GPA range of accepted applicants: 3.17-4

What does "outstanding" mean? The total?

from the update email....

Applicant summary, as of 11/24/14

All AACOMAS Applicants: 5777

Total Seat Deposits Paid: 102
Outstanding Admit Offers: 105

Of the offers/seats paid:

Canadian Seat Deposits Paid: 7

Outstanding Canadian Offers: 12

MCAT range of accepted applicants: 24-38

Science GPA range of accepted applicants: 3.17-4

What does "outstanding" mean? The total?

Outstanding admit offers refers to the people who have been accepted but who have not yet paid the deposit. This is pure speculation on my part but I predict a good chunk of those 105 people with outstanding offers will not pay the deposit (already know several of them in and outside of SDN) since they received more attractive offers from other schools.

Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong, but is it right to state that MSUCOM will give around 400-500 acceptance offers total this cycle? If so, MSUCOM has only given out half so far. Also looks like no one has been rejected yet.

Last year it was around 300 total. 50 at DMC, 50 at Macomb and 200 in Lansing.

It's approximately 315, I think last year they had 317. So they have only filled 1/3 of the class so far, either they are moving slow because of the bi-monthly meetings or they are just taking more time with apps.

Also I had emails saved from last cycle, this was their numbers...

Applicant summary, as of 11/11/13

All AACOMAS Applicants: 4373

Applications Completed: 2089

Admission Offers: 204

Seat Deposits Paid: 111

Canadian Offers: 14

Canadian Deposits Paid: 8

Average MCAT: 29

Average Science GPA: 3.68

Reactions: 3 users
SkipJunior: A friend of mine received a rejection about a week ago but I haven't heard of any others

For accepted students, does anyone know of any social media pages for us?

judging by the trend, acceptance calls will probably go out around 12?04-12/05

Does any one know the last day LOR can be in? I'm waiting on one and they're making me nervous.

Pretty sure it is next unless the adcom enjoys Thanksgiving dinner together...

They're not allowed to spend time with THEIR families while MY application is on the line!

Edit: sarcasm

Last edited: