Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
What were your stats? If you don't mind me asking.

Not at all... I was complete 6/27, IS, 28MCAT (took it twice and got the same score), 3.55 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA in undergrad, 4.0 Master's (finished this past August).

I've also been accepted to MSU CHM and alternate listed at Wayne State.

Not at all... I was complete 6/27, IS, 28MCAT (took it twice and got the same score), 3.55 cGPA and 3.7 sGPA in undergrad, 4.0 Master's (finished this past August).

I've also been accepted to MSU CHM and alternate listed at Wayne State.
congrats on your success this cycle! i'm assuming you will decline the D.O. acceptance?

congrats on your success this cycle! i'm assuming you will decline the D.O. acceptance?

I don't know yet... The physician I've been shadowing is an MSU COM alumnus, so I'm going to talk with him and a few other doctors about my acceptances and what would be best for me.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been complete since end of July and still not a single word...frustrating

Reactions: 1 user
I've been complete since end of July and still not a single word...frustrating
Just gotta be patient.. As I just posted above I was complete at the end of June and just finally heard from them today. Depending upon where you live maybe you could go visit one or more of their campuses and meet with admissions counsellors. I have heard that it helps your chances for them to become a bit more familiar with your name.

Just gotta be patient.. As I just posted above I was complete at the end of June and just finally heard from them today. Depending upon where you live maybe you could go visit one or more of their campuses and meet with admissions counsellors. I have heard that it helps your chances for them to become a bit more familiar with your name.

Would you suggest sending an email to state your interest every 4-6 weeks then? I've been complete since August and MSU is my top choice, so I want to make sure I do what I can!

Would you suggest sending an email to state your interest every 4-6 weeks then? I've been complete since August and MSU is my top choice, so I want to make sure I do what I can!
Don't email them. If you want to make any update/inquiry, do it in the online portal. I was advised to do this by their folks in admissions.

Has anyone written/uploaded an update letter to the secondary app portal? Between submitting my application and now, I defended my thesis. I told them that via email (as I uploaded my grades for that semester), but haven't formally written a letter about my thesis. I'm not sure if that is worth including, or if I would just be annoying them with more stuff to read!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if MSUCOM silently rejects people and will notify all those that have been rejected at the end? I don't understand their process of pooling applications. Is it possible that some applicants from higher more competitive pools are being rejected before they even get to the lower less competetive pools? I have also been waiting for a response since the end of June and would like to know if I should have any hope at all at this point. Thanks

Has anyone written/uploaded an update letter to the secondary app portal? Between submitting my application and now, I defended my thesis. I told them that via email (as I uploaded my grades for that semester), but haven't formally written a letter about my thesis. I'm not sure if that is worth including, or if I would just be annoying them with more stuff to read!
My application was complete on October 20th and I met with an admissions counselor about two weeks later who told me to update my application with anything new and good. She said to even just upload a list with bullet points of things I had done since I applied. I decided to type a fancy letter of intent instead because I shadowed an amazing DO who does OMM and I wanted to write what it meant to me. I think defending your thesis is a huge deal. Definitely update your app.

Rejected too. Did not expect to get in at all, still feels bad nontheless.

Is it okay to accept the admission offer and pay the deposit even though I'm not 100% sure this is where I'm going?

Is it okay to accept the admission offer and pay the deposit even though I'm not 100% sure this is where I'm going?
Pay the deposit if you are waiting for other acceptances. It's worth the money to save a spot for med school.

How many rejections do you guys think have gone out so far?

Is the date that we have to accept an acceptance the same for MSU COM and MD schools?

I'm sure you're still in the running if you haven't heard back yet. Don't lose hope people!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sure you're still in the running if you haven't heard back yet. Don't lose hope people!

I completely agree! I heard nothing from MSUCOM until February and it was to tell me I was on the waitlist. I had been complete with them in August. Don't give up just yet! I was accepted off the waitlist in April. It does happen. I know a few of my classmates who were accepted right before school started. Yes, it will be stressful. But hey, you got in and that is all that matters! I believe a lot of people use DO schools as back ups to MD schools. So, there is probably a lot of movement on the waitlist over the next couple of months. Of course, this is just my speculation and personal experience. I have no idea the actual numbers.

Yes, and it continues the following day at whichever location you chose. The White Coat ceremony is Friday, June 12th and our first day of classes is the following Monday, June 15th, I think at 7 am!

All of this information is on our class website at http://com.msu.edu/class_of_2019/Index.htm

Interesting! They moved the whitecoat ceremony to before classes started. I think that is a brilliant idea! :) I didn't like how we had a week of classes and then the ceremony. It added stress to an already huge transition.

Admissions Update:
Greetings Applicants,

The MSUCOM Admissions Committee will continue to meet bi-monthly and notifications of decisions will occur at any time between now and mid-Spring 2015. Please log in to the admissions system to check your status for missing information. If you have received a notification that your application is complete, you will remain complete until the Committee makes a decision.

LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION: Should you choose to send a committee packet, or all of your letters in one packet, please email us when they are uploaded to your file. Our process cannot identify separate letters within a committee packet and therefore your application will continue to appear incomplete until we are notified.

Applicant summary, as of 2/9/15

All AACOMAS Applicants: 6010
Total Seat Deposits Paid: 235
Outstanding Admit Offers: 42

Of the offers/seats paid:
Canadian Seat Deposits Paid: 18
Outstanding Canadian Offers: 4

Site Selections:
East Lansing: 161/200
Detroit: 50/50
Macomb: 23/50

MCAT range of accepted applicants: 24-36
Science GPA range of accepted applicants: 3.15-4

Subjective factors of the application such as extracurricular activities, volunteer experience, recommendation letters, osteopathic interest, and personal statements are not quantifiable and therefore we are unable to provide data on these highly valued application entities.

Please note that phone calls to the office slow the process. If you no longer wish to be considered for the 2015 application cycle, please contact us at [email protected] (please include your AACOMAS ID number) with your intent to withdrawal.

Warm regards,

The MSUCOM Admissions Team

Hope this doesn't sound dumb, but when they fill the class with seat deposits (300/300), is that when they stop accepting people and just pull off the wait list once someone declines?

So do they pick out the best applicants who have stats in the lower range for the remaining last spots?

If I was the school administration, I would choose the best remaining applicants for the few spots.

Hope this doesn't sound dumb, but when they fill the class with seat deposits (300/300), is that when they stop accepting people and just pull off the wait list once someone declines?
my guess is that if all deposits are paid, then the school will only waitlist applicants and choose from waitlist once a spot opens up.

They'll probably want to accept # of seat deposits + 50.

I was under the impression that it was 325 US seats plus 25 seats for Canadians this year? I thought Dean Strampel said at the DMC visit day last year?

Has anyone received an ii? I know they dont generally interview but just wondering if anyone has gotten interview invit

Do you think that the number for 'total seat deposits paid' includes those that have withdrawn their seats?

Do you think that the number for 'total seat deposits paid' includes those that have withdrawn their seats?

Yes

Edit: I meant no. They wouldn't count the people who they know aren't attending

Last edited:
Last year 2014 in March's update.....

Applicant summary, as of 3/10/14

MSUCOM Applicants: 5048
Admission Offers: 302
Seat Deposits Paid: 299 (includes paid withdrawals)
Canadian Offers: 25
Canadian Deposits Paid: 25
Average MCAT: 28.65
Average Science GPA: 3.57

I noticed this was the one update last year where they included "paid withdrawals" I believe MSU includes paid withdrawals in their stats, so even though there are 235 paid seats...this could include a large amount of withdrawals....I could be absolutely and completely wrong as well!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Last year 2014 in March's update.....

Applicant summary, as of 3/10/14

MSUCOM Applicants: 5048
Admission Offers: 302
Seat Deposits Paid: 299 (includes paid withdrawals)
Canadian Offers: 25
Canadian Deposits Paid: 25
Average MCAT: 28.65
Average Science GPA: 3.57

I noticed this was the one update last year where they included "paid withdrawals" I believe MSU includes paid withdrawals in their stats, so even though there are 235 paid seats...this could include a large amount of withdrawals....I could be absolutely and completely wrong as well!!!!

Lets hope that your interpretation is correct and we all still have chance for an acceptance! I called yesterday, and the women on the phone said if you have not heard anything (i.e. acceptance, rejection, wait list) then your application has not yet been reviewed. she also said that while every application is reviewed they are not all reviewed by the admissions committee. I am not at all surprised that only a select few applications are reviewed by the admissions committee, but I do not know what the non-committee review entails. It might just be GPA/MCAT and the extracurricular list.

Lets hope that your interpretation is correct and we all still have chance for an acceptance! I called yesterday, and the women on the phone said if you have not heard anything (i.e. acceptance, rejection, wait list) then your application has not yet been reviewed. she also said that while every application is reviewed they are not all reviewed by the admissions committee. I am not at all surprised that only a select few applications are reviewed by the admissions committee, but I do not know what the non-committee review entails. It might just be GPA/MCAT and the extracurricular list.

Based on all the information they've provided as well as from students and other applicants, it seems like their process works like this...

1) receive applicant info, send out secondary
2) receive secondary, rank based on stats
3) reviewer goes thru applicant file in order of ranking, if competitive, file is sent to adcom. If not competitive, put back in the pile to be reviewed at a later time.
4) adcom reviews applicant file and vote, number of votes determines final decision

Wow, they've already passed 6,000 applicants according to the February update, and last March they only had 5,048. Interesting uptick in number of applicants! I'm curious what caused this increase.