Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd been waitlisted since October!

Hey I thought of another question!! Did you happen to receive notification that you were on the guaranteed 2016 acceptance wait list, or did you get an e-mail saying that you were just wait listed.

Members don't see this ad.

Hasn't anyone been able to extend the deadline to pay the deposit? Does anyone know if thats possible?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Canadians, have you guys looked into financing options? TD bank has a $200,000 cap for out of country - that doesn't even cover tuition.

Also any thoughts on swallowing the tuition pill at msu vs reapply to Canadian schools next year?

Hey Canadians, have you guys looked into financing options? TD bank has a $200,000 cap for out of country - that doesn't even cover tuition.

Also any thoughts on swallowing the tuition pill at msu vs reapply to Canadian schools next year?
Congrats on your acceptance, but that is probably something you should have looked into before applying?

Nonetheless, check out CIBC, i believe they will give 275k. Get your provinces provincial loan program as well, that is a decent amount of money too.

Otherwise, there are cheaper USDO schools that also take Canadians.

If you have a reasonable shot at Canadian schools, then that is something for you to think of personally - but how do you suppose your application will significantly change between now and the next Canadian app cycle? That is assuming you are currently uncompetitive for Canada.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. But financials are a huge consideration.

Can anyone confirm if admissions office is replying to e-mails at the moment?

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on your acceptance, but that is probably something you should have looked into before applying?

Nonetheless, check out CIBC, i believe they will give 275k. Get your provinces provincial loan program as well, that is a decent amount of money too.

Otherwise, there are cheaper USDO schools that also take Canadians.

If you have a reasonable shot at Canadian schools, then that is something for you to think of personally - but how do you suppose your application will significantly change between now and the next Canadian app cycle? That is assuming you are currently uncompetitive for Canada.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. But financials are a huge consideration.

Thanks for the response UBC. Well I'm borderline for McMaster & Queens so it's just a game of luck. If I do a one year masters and retake the mcat I should be more competitive.

Thanks for the response UBC. Well I'm borderline for McMaster & Queens so it's just a game of luck. If I do a one year masters and retake the mcat I should be more competitive.
You know your app best, but z masters won't help if your GPA is too low etc. one thing to consider is if 2 years at a minimum is worth it for you to become more competitive etc.

Good luck!

Well you can still apply to DO schools next year. We`re always worried about wasting a year or two. I think the trick is to make sure you thoroughly enjoy your extra years before the next application cycles and then you win.

Reactions: 1 users
Trying to decide between Macomb and the EL site. Know a lot about the EL site but not much about Macomb. I've heard the facilities are awesome and the area is great. Have any of you toured Macomb yet or have any insight? If anyone knows a current Macomb student that I could speak with, PM me please! Thanks and congrats to all those accepted and good luck to those still waiting on that phone call!

Posted using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask what e-mail you used michaska? I used Anne Snyder's business card e-mail and it's been a long time with no response.

Can I ask what e-mail you used michaska? I used Anne Snyder's business card e-mail and it's been a long time with no response.

I sent it to the general admissions email, but I want to say that Anne responded to me...

Waitlisted today. I got the e-mail. :/
This now makes, sent to the ABLE program at MSU CHM, waitlisted here, waitlisted UofM, and I will hear back from Wayne on Dec. 23rd.

I was complete with my Primary August 28th, and then my secondary was delivered September 2nd, and It was completed September 10th.
Do you mind sharing stats?

Do you mind sharing stats?

Not at all. Heard back from Wayne and was Waitlisted there as well. :( sigh

Including this last semester with G.P.A calculations

IS, 28, 3.48 sGPA, and 3.44 cGPA, over 3,000+ research hours, over 500+ volunteer hours, and extracurriculars that were interesting to me, not just necessarily resume builders.

I'm now at the point where the first school that (hopefully) comes back and pulls me from the waitlist will be where I matriculate. I'm also giving serious thought to the ABLE program at MSU. I wouldn't mind that. If I hear from the ABLE program first, which you don't hear until June for final decisions, then I will definitely be doing that.

Hey I thought of another question!! Did you happen to receive notification that you were on the guaranteed 2016 acceptance wait list, or did you get an e-mail saying that you were just wait listed.

It just said wait listed. I never expected to get off because I heard there were the two separate wait lists!!

If we haven't heard a word from here since we submitted, is that basically a silent rejection?

If we haven't heard a word from here since we submitted, is that basically a silent rejection?

No, I really don't think MSUCOM does silent rejections, they may not have reviewed your application yet. Try to stay optimistic! Keep in mind that we've had a lot holidays that may have postponed some peoples responses too!

Not at all. Heard back from Wayne and was Waitlisted there as well. :( sigh

Including this last semester with G.P.A calculations

IS, 28, 3.48 sGPA, and 3.44 cGPA, over 3,000+ research hours, over 500+ volunteer hours, and extracurriculars that were interesting to me, not just necessarily resume builders.

I'm now at the point where the first school that (hopefully) comes back and pulls me from the waitlist will be where I matriculate. I'm also giving serious thought to the ABLE program at MSU. I wouldn't mind that. If I hear from the ABLE program first, which you don't hear until June for final decisions, then I will definitely be doing that.

Just out of curiosity, what were your volunteer experiences and/or shadowing?

Does anyone know if they will announce more acceptance this Thursday or next Thursday?

It just said wait listed. I never expected to get off because I heard there were the two separate wait lists!!

I don't mean for this to sound bad at all but that gives me a ton of hope now that you weren't on a guaranteed acceptance waitlist for the next year. I'm wondering if they did away with that. I'll have to ask my pre-med advisor about that. Thank you for the reply! :D

Just out of curiosity, what were your volunteer experiences and/or shadowing?

I am not gonna list all of them because ain't nobody got time fo dat. :) :p

But the big ones that I did were as follows:

1. I had volunteered at a hospital working with patients in fall prevention. I still do so forgive the grammar that will follow through this post. It was something that was actually fun for me to do.
2. Job shadowed my gastroenterologist numerous times both in the office and as she did scopes. I have Crohn's disease myself so it was very interesting for me to learn on a first hand basis more about the disease, and how she diagnosis patients from start to finish.
3. I volunteered in a women's shelter for physically and mentally abused women and children. It was by far my most meaningful volunteer experience, and I would love to continue to do this in medical school, but it's no where near where the schools are in the state.
4. I did habitat for humanity countless times as well.
5. President of a student organization that puts on 5K's, and raise money for different charities. It's a pre-health professions organization.
6. I worked pretty much full-time as a co-op at Dow Chemical in Midland, MI. I worked in an ion-exchange resin lab doing different types of testing, and all of it was included with research hours.
7. I also did my own research through the university that I made a proposal for and received funding.

The big thing that all of the extracurriculars had in common for me were that they all had some personal meaning to me. I didn't do anything for resume building.

Not at all. The admissions office said that they do it on rolling basis and they have so many applications that everyone gets looked at holistically. Due to their being no interviews, they can only see your essays and your secondary answers. It just takes a lot more time this way. Keep the faith. I hadn't heard a word from the D.O. office until the day I posted what I was notified about. In fact, I applied D.O./Ph.D and INTERVIEWED with Dr. McCormick before I even heard a word from the D.O. committee.

Does anyone know the details about the upcoming February visit day (time/day/possible locations)? I remember RSVPing yes and can't for the life of me remember what the date was for it or even whether I selected EL or MUC to tour.

Does anyone know the details about the upcoming February visit day (time/day/possible locations)? I remember RSVPing yes and can't for the life of me remember what the date was for it or even whether I selected EL or MUC to tour.
It looks like we have a visit day in EL on Thurs, 2/26... but I haven't heard specifics yet! Is there no tab in your secondary for tour dates (with the date/time you selected)? I think there was last year. Otherwise, just give the office a call to double check. :)

Thanks for the help! :) I checked the portal and all it has under tour dates is a general document explaining how to get to Fee Hall, nearby hotels etc... Hopefully they'll send out an email as the date gets closer, if not I'll call!

Thanks for the help! :) I checked the portal and all it has under tour dates is a general document explaining how to get to Fee Hall, nearby hotels etc... Hopefully they'll send out an email as the date gets closer, if not I'll call!

I called and it was the 26th, but I wasn't told a time or anything about what time to be there at, etc.
I'm thinking they will send an update e-mail of everything. But it looks like I'll meet a few of y'all there! :D

I called and it was the 26th, but I wasn't told a time or anything about what time to be there at, etc.
I'm thinking they will send an update e-mail of everything. But it looks like I'll meet a few of y'all there! :D
Hmm. My calendar has 12-5pm blocked off for the visit day (so at least I can tell you it's probably not early morning), but I'm not sure how that block maps onto the specific time you're supposed to be there. Hopefully they let you guys know.

Looking forward to meeting some more of you! :D

Where are you all seeing the visit date on the secondary app/portal? I'm not seeing anything, but would really like to visit!

I'm assuming the committee looks at the applications in the order they're received? So if I applied pretty late should I not expect to hear either way for a few months?

I'm assuming the committee looks at the applications in the order they're received? So if I applied pretty late should I not expect to hear either way for a few months?

I don't know what order in which they look at them, but I don't think it goes by date received. Some of us have been complete since early summer and haven't heard anything yet. Maybe you'll get lucky and be looked at right away!

Where are you all seeing the visit date on the secondary app/portal? I'm not seeing anything, but would really like to visit!

Have you been accepted or waitlisted? If not, it won't be showing up in the portal for you. It's only offered to the applicants who have had received that notification already.

Hmm. My calendar has 12-5pm blocked off for the visit day (so at least I can tell you it's probably not early morning), but I'm not sure how that block maps onto the specific time you're supposed to be there. Hopefully they let you guys know.

Looking forward to meeting some more of you! :D

I'm looking forward to it as well! :D

If not, as it gets closer I'll call again and just ask!

Congratulations to those accepted and good luck to those in the progress.

It may be early for some of you but I am looking to sublease my room as I move to my clinic this summer.

June and July 2015 -- Your anatomy months!
I am asking $500/mo - includes internet, cable etc. electricity ends up costing about $20/mo in the summer
It is a bed/bath in a 4 unit apartment. There may be a second availability if you want to bring a roommate. Current roommates are all medical students - very friendly, quiet, easy going - good tutors :)

Here are the details:

EL Lodges (2721 Hannah blvd)
For full apartment complex details you can check thelodgesofeastlansing website
  • Bedroom w/ private bathroom and walk in closet
  • phase 2 - top floor (3rd) - large balcony
  • in-suite laundry
  • Furnished living room
  • Optional furnished bedroom (queen bed, desk, night stand, dresser)
  • free parking
  • many amenities (2 gyms, pool, hot tub, sauna, coffee etc)
Please message me if you are interested.
Thanks and good luck!

Aaaannnnndddddd no acceptance posts yet today.... Maybe it's next Thursday?

Waiting for hear from schools to get off of the Waitlist is giving me angina, and ulcers. :D:eek:

Reactions: 5 users
I don't know what order in which they look at them, but I don't think it goes by date received. Some of us have been complete since early summer and haven't heard anything yet. Maybe you'll get lucky and be looked at right away!

I hope so! It was really dumb of me to apply so late, but things changed for me in the fall and I decided I didn't want to wait until next year to apply. Did you apply early summer? I assume that once your application is reviewed it is either accepted, declined or waitlisted, right? Or do they do nothing with some of them until a further meeting? I wish I knew more about how the committee works...

I hope so! It was really dumb of me to apply so late, but things changed for me in the fall and I decided I didn't want to wait until next year to apply. Did you apply early summer? I assume that once your application is reviewed it is either accepted, declined or waitlisted, right? Or do they do nothing with some of them until a further meeting? I wish I knew more about how the committee works...

From what I understand thats what they do for a large portion of the applications, but some applications they do hold onto to compare it to another pool of applicants.

Update email today:

Greetings Applicants,

Happy New Year! The Admissions Committee
will continue to meet bi-monthly and
notifications of decisions will occur at any time
between now and mid-Spring 2015. Please log
in to the admissions system to check your
status for missing information.

LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION: Should you
choose to send a committee packet, or all of
your letters in one packet, please email us
when they are uploaded to your file. Our
process cannot identify separate letters within
a committee packet and therefore your
application will continue to appear incomplete
until we are notified.

Applicant summary, as of 1/12/15

All AACOMAS Applicants: 5995
Total Seat Deposits Paid: 183
Outstanding Admit Offers: 43

Of the offers/seats paid:
Canadian Seat Deposits Paid: 14
Outstanding Canadian Offers: 6

Site Selections:
East Lansing: 123/200
Detroit: 43/50
Macomb: 17/50

MCAT range of accepted applicants: 24-36
Science GPA range of accepted applicants:
3.15-4

Fingers still crossed to get in :)

Reactions: 4 users
hmm still adds up to 20 for canadians. I wonder if they're capping it at 20 this year.

is there any big deposit deadline coming up soon for either DO or MD schools?

Not sure why you're asking in this particular thread, but right now -- per AACOMAS guidelines, accepted students have 30 days to pay a deposit. Starting the 15th of January, accepted students may only have 14 days. After May 15 an immediate deposit may be required (particularly salient as classes start in mid-June at MSUCOM). I'm don't believe these exact timelines apply for MSUCOM, but, regardless, that's a rough idea.

Not sure why you're asking in this particular thread, but right now -- per AACOMAS guidelines, accepted students have 30 days to pay a deposit. Starting the 15th of January, accepted students may only have 14 days. After May 15 an immediate deposit may be required (particularly salient as classes start in mid-June at MSUCOM). I'm don't believe these exact timelines apply for MSUCOM, but, regardless, that's a rough idea.

didn't want to make a new thread to ask the question so thought i would just post it in the school thread with the most views... appreciate your response