Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
gpa ~3.68 mcat 31 OOS got a II

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!

I was complete about half way through July and still nothing... OOS 3.7, 3.55, 27, 32

Are you guys getting notified via email or just checking your portal?

I checked the portal; I did not receive an email. My supplemental was submitted in early July, but I received the confirmation email that my application was complete on Aug 1. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just booked my flight ($450, ouch!) for my interview on the 24th, but I haven't booked a hotel yet. Anyone else interviewing on the 24th want to go halfsies on a hotel for the night of the 23rd? PM me.

Hi everyone,
Besides the two required LORs, is there a limit for the number of letters?

anyone know how many people they interview/how many they accept? I know they want a class size of 250, but they must accept more since some ppl won't matriculate.

I just checked my portal and saw I can choose a date between 9/24 and 9/25.. but I haven't received any emails or other notifications yet.. is this normal? should I schedule a date first?

I just checked my portal and saw I can choose a date between 9/24 and 9/25.. but I haven't received any emails or other notifications yet.. is this normal? should I schedule a date first?
that means you got an interview invite :p congrats

Totally normal. I didn't receive an email until after I reserved an interview. Congratulations!

Congrats on all your interviews!
Anyone else going there from Utah for the interview on 25th?

put on hold today :eyebrow: but I have less than a 30

Reactions: 1 users

When were you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
put on hold today :eyebrow: but I have less than a 30

I, too, received a pre-interview hold letter in the mail today. As soon as I saw the envelope, I assumed it was a rejection. So I'm happy we still have a fighting chance!

I, too, received a pre-interview hold letter in the mail today. As soon as I saw the envelope, I assumed it was a rejection. So I'm happy we still have a fighting chance!
Just got the mail today as well, definitely thought it was a rejection since last year I got rejected from CCOM. Better than a rejection!

Just got the mail today as well, definitely thought it was a rejection since last year I got rejected from CCOM. Better than a rejection!
Absolutely!! I wonder if anyone has been rejected yet. I saw in last year's thread that people generally received positive input after sending update letters/ letters of intent. Perhaps we should do the same as the cycle progresses.

Haha yes same here, today I received a small letter in the mail, assumed it was a rejection letter and was surprised it just stated that my app will be put on hold. Glad to still have a fighting chance too!

Got put on hold, as well. They said I have merit, guys! :couchpotato: Lol just gotta keep updating them and hope they take the risk with me.

c3.15 s3.09 26 (8/8/10)

What are the odds of being taken off the hold list? I've read that people usually won't hear back from them until next year, if that. Any input?

Sorry to hear about getting put on hold and I hope things work out for you guys!

That being said, did anything change on your portal after receiving the letter? I'm out of town so I don't have access to mail xD

Sorry to hear about getting put on hold and I hope things work out for you guys!

That being said, did anything change on your portal after receiving the letter? I'm out of town so I don't have access to mail xD
No change in the portal, just a letter in the mail

Got put on hold today, and mine mcat is also below 30 maybe they are going to move on to <30 mcats after their done with >30 batch??! Gonna stay patient and positive

Just sharing this info. I was placed on a Pre-Interview Hold at AZCOM. I emailed the admissions office to update them with my current activities and asked about something specific they would like to see from me. The admissions office told me that so far, no II has been sent out to someone with less than a 29 on the MCAT. I have a 26. Really didn't want to retake the beast again. They suggested I retake it, and I may have to. Only 1 II so far.

Especially after being put on Pre-Interview Hold at 3 schools. Any thoughts guys and gals?

Got the letter in the mail today too! I'm assuming it's also bc I'm OOS. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.......

Is the hold letter the same as the one that says they'll keep reviewing my application and I should view this in a positive light?

Got the letter in the mail today too! I'm assuming it's also bc I'm OOS. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.......

Is the hold letter the same as the one that says they'll keep reviewing my application and I should view this in a positive light?

Yup got that the other day too

Just sharing this info. I was placed on a Pre-Interview Hold at AZCOM. I emailed the admissions office to update them with my current activities and asked about something specific they would like to see from me. The admissions office told me that so far, no II has been sent out to someone with less than a 29 on the MCAT. I have a 26. Really didn't want to retake the beast again. They suggested I retake it, and I may have to. Only 1 II so far.

Especially after being put on Pre-Interview Hold at 3 schools. Any thoughts guys and gals?
Mind sharing your other stats?

Put on hold via a mailed letter a few days ago. <30 MCAT also. I don't think it's the kiss of death, but I think they're definitely interviewing > 30 MCATs for now.

I'm exactly 30. Do you think it's 31 and above....or 30 and above receiving interviews now?

Where else did you apply? Also, it's really early in the cycle and you already have an II.... Don't get worried at all yet. I'm 3.7cGPA, 3.55sGPA, 32 MCAT and no IIs yet.

Interviewing here soon! Does anyone know what the MD and DO residency match rate is for the school? And their comlex/usmle pass rates? How is their faculty? Thanks!

My brother in law got in with a 24. You might not have to retake it, just wait a couple more weeks.

Mind sharing your other stats?

No problem. cGPA 3.15 sGPA 3.09, 500+ hours of shadowing/clinical experience, research experience, great LORs (7), Masters degree, lots of volunteering experience. Hoping my ECs and well-written essays can help compensate for my low stats.

Where else did you apply? Also, it's really early in the cycle and you already have an II.... Don't get worried at all yet. I'm 3.7cGPA, 3.55sGPA, 32 MCAT and no IIs yet.

I applied to 15 MD schools, all TX schools, and 13 DO schools. I was awarded the Fee Assistance Waiver from AMCAS and AACOMAS. I definitely want to do DO though. The mission and tenets really resonate with me. You have strong stats. You'll definitely snag some interviews. Good luck!

My brother in law got in with a 24. You might not have to retake it, just wait a couple more weeks.

Wow that gives me some hope. Just have to hold out and hope for more interviews. I'll start getting down on the MCAT for good measure. I want to start preparing in case a higher MCAT is the only thing that will sway some committees. Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

@sizillyd It seems like you've applied broadly. I'm sure you'll have a fair shot at some schools, especially considering that you've landed an II already. Good luck to you as well!!

Interview invite, today. Secondary submitted 8/6/14, II 8/13/14.

OOS; 3.54c, 3.63s, 30R. Good luck to everyone else this cycle.

Interview invite, today. Secondary submitted 8/6/14, II 8/13/14.

OOS; 3.54c, 3.63s, 30R. Good luck to everyone else this cycle.

Did you get it via email? I'm kicking myself for not checking the portal for a whole month. The application site seems to be down right now too. Is it working for anyone else?

Did you get it via email? I'm kicking myself for not checking the portal for a whole month. The application site seems to be down right now too. Is it working for anyone else?

I don't think anyone has posted about getting an email. The portal does seem to be down atm.

No email, here. I just checked the portal. I did get an email once I scheduled my interview, though :lame:

I am wondering how many more 30+ applicants there are) Good luck on the interviews!!!

II this morning, scheduled for 8/25, complete 8/7, 32, 3.7
Getting really worried I haven't gotten one yet. 30, 3.5 sgpa/3.3cgpa/3.9 postbacc.....I'd like to think in pretty competitive too...

ii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yay! 3.2 32 complete 7/30, i checked the portal last night for some reason (nothin), and this morning i had an email inviting me to interview. these adcoms work at weird hours.

Getting really worried I haven't gotten one yet. 30, 3.5 sgpa/3.3cgpa/3.9 postbacc.....I'd like to think in pretty competitive too...

Likewise.... This is one if my top DO choices as well

Haven't received a hold letter yet though (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!).

can a current student comment on why the most recent class is only 38% female? that seems awfully low

II today as well! I got it by email. Scheduled for October 19.

Complete 7/31, cGPA: 3.15, sGPA 3.04, MCAT: 35

can a current student comment on why the most recent class is only 38% female? that seems awfully low
That's just the way the dice rolls.

Interviewing here soon! Does anyone know what the MD and DO residency match rate is for the school? And their comlex/usmle pass rates? How is their faculty? Thanks!
https://www.midwestern.edu/programs-and-admission/az-osteopathic-medicine.html
That will answer your COMLEX/match question. No information regarding the USMLE is posted. The faculty at AZCOM are super friendly and for the most part, talented teachers.