Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You may be able to call and ask. You may not like what you'll here though =\ (been there before)

I've called pretty recently. They say im still under review. ..

Members don't see this ad.

That was the main issue with my application- my orgo 2 grade was a C- and doesn't meet the minimum requirement. I'm taking it through UNE this semester and AZCOM is waiting for my orgo 2 grade before making a final decision. I was interviewed without meeting the requirements, which is surprising. I had on there that I was retaking it though, so maybe this was their plan all along.

Stupid orgo 2, seriously, I hate that class. It's good news that they interviewed you though! It sounds to me like they just want to make sure you meet the requirement before officially accepting you. Still though, it seems like not having some prereqs can be a pretty big disadvantage.

II just now! Complete 7/15, OOS, 3.7cGPA, 3.55sGPA, 27 (11/6/10), 32 retake (12/8/12).

There are a couple dates in october and then the first week of december (they don't interview in november i'm 99% sure). I think these october dates are too short of notice though...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II just now! Complete 7/15, OOS, 3.7cGPA, 3.55sGPA, 27 (11/6/10), 32 retake (12/8/12).

There are a couple dates in october and then the first week of december (they don't interview in november i'm 99% sure). I think these october dates are too short of notice though...
I went four days after my II. Go rock it!!

You'll do great!

Last edited:
I actually have a few schedule conflictions around the October dates so I'll be going in December!

Anyone know where to find a copy of AZCOM's latest (2014 or 2013) match lists?

Im on hold here. Hopefully they will interview me though!

Anyone from Orange County, CA will interview on Dec 3rd? I will make a road-trip, wanna share ride? (about 5.5 hr)

Snail mail letter was sent earlier in September to a few people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I don't know why they put me on hold in September but I bet it was lower GPA though

I am on hold as well (since the beginning of September)...28/3.25s/3.65c. I am graduated, so not waiting for anything. Anyone been pulled of the hold list to interview?

I am on hold as well (since the beginning of September)...28/3.25s/3.65c. I am graduated, so not waiting for anything. Anyone been pulled of the hold list to interview?

how did they tell you you were on hold?

hey guys.

I was complete September 12th, still no response. Is this normal?

Can any current students/ people who have interviewed here at AZCOM comment on some of the highlights of the school? (reasons you picked AZCOM, things that only AZCOM offers its students, etc)

Can any current students/ people who have interviewed here at AZCOM comment on some of the highlights of the school? (reasons you picked AZCOM, things that only AZCOM offers its students, etc)
I'm going to continue the tradition of highlighting AZCOMs meticulously groomed and maintained grass. It sure feels good to walk on :p. Some other minor things about AZCOM though: great professors, outstanding board pass rates (98%/96% COMLEX 1/USMLE 1) and great city to be a medical student in.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh, I should introduce myself by saying I'm a current AZCOM student. Feel free to ask me unreasonable or reasonable questions. I will most certainly give you a reply that's somewhat sarcastic and kind of serious. GL to everyone!

I'm going to continue the tradition of highlighting AZCOMs meticulously groomed and maintained grass. It sure feels good to walk on :p. Some other minor things about AZCOM though: great professors, outstanding board pass rates (98%/96% COMLEX 1/USMLE 1) and great city to be a medical student in.

You are making me excited about this school!

I was complete on September 12th (3.6 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 33 MCAT), and I still haven't heard anything. Should I call them? Or is it still early?

You are making me excited about this school!

I was complete on September 12th (3.6 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 33 MCAT), and I still haven't heard anything. Should I call them? Or is it still early?
Won't hurt to call, they are usually pretty receptive to that kind of thing.

Oh, I should introduce myself by saying I'm a current AZCOM student. Feel free to ask me unreasonable or reasonable questions. I will most certainly give you a reply that's somewhat sarcastic and kind of serious. GL to everyone!

Do you happen to know what the LA and SD rotations sites are?

hey guys.

I was complete September 12th, still no response. Is this normal?

It's not ABNORMAL. It just means they didn't want to jump on you right away. Just be patient. There are a lot of competitive applicants out there. I'm sure you'll get an ii here tho

It's not ABNORMAL. It just means they didn't want to jump on you right away. Just be patient. There are a lot of competitive applicants out there. I'm sure you'll get an ii here tho

Do you mean they are putting me on hold? I believe my application (and essays) are competitive (not just stats). But I am not from the region.

They aren't putting you on hold unless they explicitly mail you a letter that says you're on hold. At this point, no news is good news and waiting a month or so for an II or any correspondence is pretty normal. Given your stats though, I think you should be fine and will get an II.

What is the interview day like? What is the order of activities: Q&A, interviews, tour, lunch?

Last edited:
Excited to be interviewing here soon. What is the interview day like? What is the order of activities: Q&A, interviews, tour, lunch?

Interview day is pretty straight forward. It starts off with presentation/curriculum presentation of the school, then depending on your group, you either first go on a tour, or you start your interviews. I started off with the interview, so I interviewed, then just chilled and talked with fellow applicants for another hour. Then I went on the tour, and the tour doesn't last that long, so you're back to sitting and chilling for another hour. Then you have lunch where you can talk with some of the current students, and you're done!

Overall, very chill and relaxed interview day. They emphasized that they really just want to get to know you as a person and see if you have the support system to make it at their school. Just relax and be confident! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Excited to be interviewing here soon. What is the interview day like? What is the order of activities: Q&A, interviews, tour, lunch?
You check in and get a presentation about the school. They divvy everyone up into interview groups and you wait in a lounge to be called for your interview. If you're in the later groups, you go do a tour while waiting. If you interview earlier, the tour comes second. You go to lunch with medical students after the interviews and the day ends with a tour of the OMM lab. It flies by!

Reactions: 1 users
Interview day is pretty straight forward. It starts off with presentation/curriculum presentation of the school, then depending on your group, you either first go on a tour, or you start your interviews. I started off with the interview, so I interviewed, then just chilled and talked with fellow applicants for another hour. Then I went on the tour, and the tour doesn't last that long, so you're back to sitting and chilling for another hour. Then you have lunch where you can talk with some of the current students, and you're done!

Overall, very chill and relaxed interview day. They emphasized that they really just want to get to know you as a person and see if you have the support system to make it at their school. Just relax and be confident! :)

Could you elaborate a bit more on this? What do you mean they want to see if you have the support system to make it? Do they want to see that you have families/close friends in the area of the school?

Could you elaborate a bit more on this? What do you mean they want to see if you have the support system to make it? Do they want to see that you have families/close friends in the area of the school?

Not necessarily see if you have families/close friends in the area. I took it to mean that they wanted to know if you'd have the moral/emotional support of your friends and family so you could succeed while in med school. There's no need to panic about their questions, they were really just trying to get a sense of your personality and how you would deal with the stresses of med school.

Hey all, waitlisted here, can anyone comment on the likelihood of being pulled off the weight list? Here is what I know, the waitlist is a pool of applicants, I guess they don't rank us. I am assuming there will be a lot of movement from people holding multiple acceptances and even people getting into MD programs...can anyone comment on any of this or what my chances may be to get in here, it is still early in the game, but I am REALLY hoping to get in here. Anything anyone can tell me that may help my chances would be awesome. You can PM me too if needed.

Hey all, waitlisted here, can anyone comment on the likelihood of being pulled off the weight list? Here is what I know, the waitlist is a pool of applicants, I guess they don't rank us. I am assuming there will be a lot of movement from people holding multiple acceptances and even people getting into MD programs...can anyone comment on any of this or what my chances may be to get in here, it is still early in the game, but I am REALLY hoping to get in here. Anything anyone can tell me that may help my chances would be awesome. You can PM me too if needed.

Shedding a few pounds should get you off real quick!

jkjk...

I am sure you'll get into a bunch of other schools.

They aren't putting you on hold unless they explicitly mail you a letter that says you're on hold. At this point, no news is good news and waiting a month or so for an II or any correspondence is pretty normal. Given your stats though, I think you should be fine and will get an II.

Going on 2 months for me...not sure what to think....

non trad 3.5 30mcat...

I am able to get interview on Oct 20th, anyone from Southern Cali up for a road trip to Midwestern? thanks

I'll be interviewing next Monday the 13th at AZCOM. Can't wait for a little sunshine!

I'll be interviewing next Monday the 13th at AZCOM. Can't wait for a little sunshine!
We're getting hit by a storm right now so let's hope we can accommodate! ;)

Regarding the curriculum:

Are lectures mandatory and are they recorded?

Lectures are not mandatory, although there are a few that they make you show up for. And yes, they are recorded

Thanks. Any idea if recordings are posted same time/same day/next day?

Is the "Barrel 1 building" the same as the "Barrel Student Center I" (#21 on the campus map)?

Anybody from Orange County/ LA area going to the interview on October 16 that wants to carpool? I am driving to AZ on Wednesday and leaving after the interview on Thursday. I have a place for us to stay in Phoenix on Wednesday night. You would just need to help with gas money. PM me if you are interested.