Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Argh, all silence from CCOM since late July. I'm from the area, got a LOR from an alum. Please show me some love, CCOM!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I received my acceptance to CCOM on 10/10/14 (very excited!). I've been accepted at a few other places and I'm weighing my options. I noticed that a new simulation center is being built at CCOM. Has it been completed? If it hasn't been completed, do you have simulators (i.e. those advanced human dummies) in another part of the campus? In general, I'm curious to know how useful simulators are in the learning process...? I realize that tons of physicians have learned to become doctors without them. However, the simulators seem like a great learning tool. Thanks for any advice or insight. I appreciate it.
Congrats on your acceptances! Te simulator isn't complete yet, but it should be done for next year. All in all, I think it's going to be a great addition to the curriculum. Along with the simulator is a new lecture hall that we will be having a good portion of our lectures in

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptances! Te simulator isn't complete yet, but it should be done for next year. All in all, I think it's going to be a great addition to the curriculum. Along with the simulator is a new lecture hall that we will be having a good portion of our lectures in

Thank you so much for the info. It's very helpful!

Does CCOM currently offer any research or teaching fellowships? Do you know if any of the fellowships provide a stipend or offer a small amount of loan/tuition forgiveness?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm so excited about CCOM. Just want to make sure it's the best choice. :)

Thank you so much for the info. It's very helpful!

Does CCOM currently offer any research or teaching fellowships? Do you know if any of the fellowships provide a stipend or offer a small amount of loan/tuition forgiveness?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm so excited about CCOM. Just want to make sure it's the best choice. :)
There are a massive amount of research opportunities for you. You can do a research elective during the year and choose to continue it during summer if you'd like. You will receive a stipend or credit hours for that. You can also apply to be an OMM fellow at the end of 2nd year. That adds on a year of teaching OMM workshops to MS1s and MS2s and there is some tuition reimbursement involved with it

There are a massive amount of research opportunities for you. You can do a research elective during the year and choose to continue it during summer if you'd like. You will receive a stipend or credit hours for that. You can also apply to be an OMM fellow at the end of 2nd year. That adds on a year of teaching OMM workshops to MS1s and MS2s and there is some tuition reimbursement involved with it

sounds like KCUMB's fellowship.
for CCOM, does the school cover 2 years of tuition for students that apply to be fellows?

I just cancelled my interview for next Monday 10/27if anyone wants to grab my spot.

Whoa! Apparently this school doesn't do lecture recordings. Ugh. Sad b/c this is actually one of the finer schools
Some of the anatomy department does do lecture recordings. And it is currently in the works for the rest of the departments to get on board. However, all professors allow students to audio record lectures if they want to do so. I would not suggest letting this be the ultimate deciding factor in whether or not to attend CCOM.

Awesome! Thank you SO much. :D

Interviewing in one week! Any advice? How did those who interview already like the school?

Interviewing in one week! Any advice? How did those who interview already like the school?

I posted an overview of the interview day earlier in this thread (pg 4 I believe), and others have also talked about their interview experiences and reasons for choosing the school throughout the thread! Good luck at your interview :)

Just be yourself! The interview was 30 min, semi-blind, and they make you feel comfortable. I didn't encounter any stressful questions. Interviews are first on the agenda, and afterwards you will go on a tour and have lunch with a few students.

Been complete here since late July, hoping for something soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, the CCOM people are so freaking nice on the phone. Each time I speak to them it makes my interest in the school grow more and more.

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone interviewing this Friday, October 31st?

FINALLY...polite rejection by snail mail. Best of luck to the rest of you!

Complete since early September and nothing. How annoying! Why do I feel like a rejection letter is in the mail...

What is the turnaround for those of you who interviewed? Would I be able to find out within a week?

What is the turnaround for those of you who interviewed? Would I be able to find out within a week?
It's usually 2 to 4 weeks depending on when the next committee meeting is

FINALLY...polite rejection by snail mail. Best of luck to the rest of you!

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats like. I finished my II 10/22 so extremely late and have not the best gap and 26 MCAT but strong EC

For all those that have been accepted, first of all, congratulations! I just wanted to ask whether you had a LOR from Midwestern Alumni? Or can it be any DO physician?

For all those that have been accepted, first of all, congratulations! I just wanted to ask whether you had a LOR from Midwestern Alumni? Or can it be any DO physician?

My letter was from a CCOM alum, but I don't think it should matter really. Any DO letter is good news! :)

Congratulations! If you don't mind would you please share your stats with us?
and also was this via email or phone call?

Meant to write that as a reply ^^
("Congratulations! If you don't mind would you please share your stats with us?
and also was this via email or phone call?")

sure! 30 mcat and 3.9 gpa
i was notified via email!

Received an II today! 3.55cgpa, 3.8sgpa, 29MCAT. I was complete mid-september and I am OOS. I was notified by email of the invite.

I am interviewing here on the 22nd of sept! I'm flying into chicago from nyc and wondering about the best way to get to downers grove. Taxi? Seems to be $40 flat rate each way though (ouch)!
Hey! Just curious as to what you ended up doing for your travel schedule to get there. I am flying over there next month and am trying to find out the most cost-effective way to go from the airport to hotel/school.

Has anyone that interviewed oct 13-17 heard back yet

Hey guys! I'm applying pretty late but I have a question about the secondary. Do you guys think its okay to have my resume be more than 1 page?? Or should I just make a CV??? Thank you!!!

Hey guys! I'm applying pretty late but I have a question about the secondary. Do you guys think its okay to have my resume be more than 1 page?? Or should I just make a CV??? Thank you!!!

Mine was more than 1 page and I was fine.

Interviewed on 10/24 and no news yet. Does anyone know when the AdCom meets next?

I don't actually know, as I'm simply a recently accepted student, but it seems that they try to meet "at the end of the month." For the first set of decisions, the committee was delayed slightly, so everyone who interviewed in September and early October was notified on October 10th. By similar logic, it's possible that the committee will be meeting soon or may have already met this week. If I were you, I'd check the portal tomorrow to see if there's any news, since tomorrow will be four weeks exactly since the last batch of decisions went out.

I don't actually know, as I'm simply a recently accepted student, but it seems that they try to meet "at the end of the month." For the first set of decisions, the committee was delayed slightly, so everyone who interviewed in September and early October was notified on October 10th. By similar logic, it's possible that the committee will be meeting soon or may have already met this week. If I were you, I'd check the portal tomorrow to see if there's any news, since tomorrow will be four weeks exactly since the last batch of decisions went out.
Thanks! I've been refreshing the portal often. Hopefully I'll get some good news in the coming week. Fingers crossed! Anyone else here interview on 10/24?

Thanks! I've been refreshing the portal often. Hopefully I'll get some good news in the coming week. Fingers crossed! Anyone else here interview on 10/24?

I did! Also waiting and hoping I get in. AHHHHH.

Good luck! I'm kinda hoping for more classmates (maybe even... a Facebook page?!?!) sometime soon :p

I am giving up my interview invite spot here, having received an acceptance from my top OOS choice. I hope the spot goes to one of you fine individuals!

If anyones status portal changes, please let us know! Anxiously waiting!

If anyones status portal changes, please let us know! Anxiously waiting!

I know today is an interview day, so my guess is that they haven't met yet for the oct-nov interviews. Maybe we will get some news Monday or Tuesday. They sent the last set of acceptances in the AM hours, so I don't think anything will change online today :-/

Committee is meeting next week, decisions will be given out the following week (this is for the mid October crew)