*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woaaaaaah, hold up. I thought TMDSAS was going to email us when those two schools were approved and we could add it to the TMDSAS application at that time (pg 5 in 2016 TMDSAS manual). So...are they non-TMDSAS or TMDSAS schools?!

Edit: Re-read my response and I am not necessarily asking @hornstudent to reply. Didn't want to make it seem that way, so therefore the edit :)

They will be TMDSAS schools, but they're listed as non-TMDSAS for now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
2 questions:

1. for the gpa calculator, when you get an F and replace it with an A, do they count both?

2. Is june 1 too late to send off my application??
I am an ORM, cgpa3.6, sgpa3.7, mcat 29(10b,9p,10v) good letters, soon to get 150 hours in clincals, 3 co -authorships...
Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
2 questions:

1. for the gpa calculator, when you get an F and replace it with an A, do they count both?

2. Is june 1 too late to send off my application??

Thanks in advance!!

Nah. Apply in june.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little bit confused. I have a 27 MCAT and a 3.3/3.4 range cumulative and science gpa. I'm not applying to some of the texas MD schools since their averages are much higher, will that seriously be seen as a red flag?

For the record, I'm applying to a bunch of DO schools via AACOMAS and thus just trying to minimize cost, however if it truly is a red flag I might as well apply to all the texas schools. Would do you guys think I should do?

Much appreciated!

I'm a little bit confused. I have a 27 MCAT and a 3.3/3.4 range cumulative and science gpa. I'm not applying to some of the texas MD schools since their averages are much higher, will that seriously be seen as a red flag?

For the record, I'm applying to a bunch of DO schools via AACOMAS and thus just trying to minimize cost, however if it truly is a red flag I might as well apply to all the texas schools. Would do you guys think I should do?

Much appreciated!
Their averages are higher but hey the app is 140 bucks no matter what so just go for it. You never know, you might be surprised.

Does the tmsdas application need to have all the LOR filled out before I can submit?

Thanks!

Anyone's transcripts been received yet? How long did it take?

One of my transcripts has, but the one from the dual enrollment classes I had from high school hasn't yet. The weird thing is, TMDSAS already says it has submitted my application to the schools even though they haven't received my other transcript yet. Not sure what to make of that...

One of my transcripts has, but the one from the dual enrollment classes I had from high school hasn't yet. The weird thing is, TMDSAS already says it has submitted my application to the schools even though they haven't received my other transcript yet. Not sure what to make of that...
School I sent it from said they sent it out on May 6th...I guess they're getting flooded at this point.

Mavs, I sent mine on 5/1, paid for overnight shipping, and they were marked as received on 5/4 and 5/5 (earliest was end of day 5/4). Given that was likely a less swamped time period, I think yours should be marked in the next day or two.

That's normal. Somewhere on their website or the handbook, they mention that they will transmit your application after it has been submitted and paid for, and that they will send any transcripts/LORs that come in as they arrive and are added to your app.

Ive got a question about the prereq courses.

GENERAL CHEMISTRY: One year of general (inorganic) chemistry as required for science majors including the corresponding laboratory experiences. 8 semester credit hours or 12 quarter hours of General Chemistry. (8 semester hours = 6 hours of lecture & 2 hours of lab; 12 quarter hours = 9 hours of lecture & 3 hours of lab).

at my University the courses were like this:

CHEM 1A Genchem 1 4 units
CHEM 1B Genchem 2 4 units
CHEM 1L GENCHEM LAB 3 units

It only adds up to 11.

What now?

Ive got a question about the prereq courses.

GENERAL CHEMISTRY: One year of general (inorganic) chemistry as required for science majors including the corresponding laboratory experiences. 8 semester credit hours or 12 quarter hours of General Chemistry. (8 semester hours = 6 hours of lecture & 2 hours of lab; 12 quarter hours = 9 hours of lecture & 3 hours of lab).

at my University the courses were like this:

CHEM 1A Genchem 1 4 units
CHEM 1B Genchem 2 4 units
CHEM 1L GENCHEM LAB 3 units

It only adds up to 11.

What now?

Are you on the semester or quarter system? It sounds like your credits fall into the bolded, so you're good to go!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not exactly sure how quarters work, but did you take the equivalent of 2 semesters of general chemistry lecture and lab?

Quarter system.

:confused: Well that's strange. Is 12 units the standard at your school? ie, did you take the full lecture or lab portions of the general chemistry sequence? If you took the standard sequence, I'm sure that it will fulfill the requirement, but maybe you have to contact the schools to clarify. I hope someone else on a quarter system can chime in and help.

:confused: Well that's strange. Is 12 units the standard at your school? ie, did you take the full lecture or lab portions of the general chemistry sequence? If you took the standard sequence, I'm sure that it will fulfill the requirement, but maybe you have to contact the schools to clarify. I hope someone else on a quarter system can chime in and help.

Yea it is. thats why im so confused. haha.

That is considered one year. but not to tmdsas.

If I haven't signed up for my senior spring 2016 classes yet, can I just leave that section blank except for one pre req I know 100% going to take?

I read in the TMDSAS this:
You will still need to list the terms in the [Terms Attended] section and list the actual planned coursework in the [College Coursework] section. These sections are independent of one another.If you are unsure what courses you will be taking, add a placeholder course so that you can enter the courses you have registered to take at a later date (e.g. "Course to be determined").

However I have no idea what the course prefix/numbers are going to be and that is required to be put for it to submit it as a placeholder course. What are you guys putting for senior spring classes for those who are juniors.

If I haven't signed up for my senior spring 2016 classes yet, can I just leave that section blank except for one pre req I know 100% going to take?

I read in the TMDSAS this:

However I have no idea what the course prefix/numbers are going to be and that is required to be put for it to submit it as a placeholder course. What are you guys putting for senior spring classes for those who are juniors.

Put placeholders, and add enough classes to the coursework section to cover the number of classes that you think you will take. So for example, for the fall I added 3 classes (non-trad here, so at most I would be taking 3 evening courses) and wrote the names of the classes I am considering (looked up the prefix and numbers for those classes at the university I'm considering). Then I choose the NY grades. Now that my app has been submitted/transmitted, I can go back and edit those things once I commit to the classes. When they verify your coursework, some terms get grayed out (the terms/courses you have already completed) and some stay white (the terms/courses you can edit).

Put placeholders, and add enough classes to the coursework section to cover the number of classes that you think you will take. So for example, for the fall I added 3 classes (non-trad here, so at most I would be taking 3 evening courses) and wrote the names of the classes I am considering (looked up the prefix and numbers for those classes at the university I'm considering). Then I choose the NY grades. Now that my app has been submitted/transmitted, I can go back and edit those things once I commit to the classes. When they verify your coursework, some terms get grayed out (the terms/courses you have already completed) and some stay white (the terms/courses you can edit).

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

How bad would it be to ask a school to un-submit a secondary?

Could you use the unique circumstances to explain why you're applying to Texas schools? I know that probably comes up in the secondary but some of the schools don't have secondaries. My circumstance is that I am a new permanent resident looking for a state to settle in, I have family and friends in Texas and have always heard great things. I have no ties to any state, except the one where I attend my undergrad and am not in any way set on staying here. Thoughts?

That will call your residency into question.
What do you mean? I have stated that I am a resident of the state where I am attending university and have already been confirmed as a non resident of Texas on the application. However, I see this as an opportunity to explain "why apply to Texas" my ties, so to speak

What do you mean? I have stated that I am a resident of the state where I am attending university and have already been confirmed as a non resident of Texas on the application. However, I see this as an opportunity to explain "why apply to Texas" my ties, so to speak

Ah, I thought you moved to texas and were applying as in state.

I had a question about when I can submit my application. I am a graduate student and am finished with my "coursework." However, I am registered at my college in two courses: Biology Research and Thesis. These courses are not graded but are credit/non credit courses. I am simply registered in them because it is a requirement to be registered for 9 hours and it is required to be registered in thesis when preparing to present your thesis. Can I submit before the Credit/noncredit mark is available or would I still have to wait?

Do we have to report our non TMDSAS schools we are applying to? Also would reporting them hurt our application?

Do we have to report our non TMDSAS schools we are applying to? Also would reporting them hurt our application?

It depends on you keeping in mind that they see the list of those schools. I don't think it should hurt your application, but personally I would keep the list short if you have a long list.

Are we allowed to send extra letters of eval to schools during secondaries? I know for TCOM you can send your DO LOR separately...but what about other schools? 3 LOR limit sucks.

Are we allowed to send extra letters of eval to schools during secondaries? I know for TCOM you can send your DO LOR separately...but what about other schools? 3 LOR limit sucks.

Just saying.... if you need more than three letters.... your letters are probably not that strong.

sending in 2 great letters is better than sending in 5 meh letters.

For Texas A&M, they require letters from two professors. Does a professor who you did research count as one of these letters? Or they must be someone who you have taken a class from? I tried calling the admissions office but it would just go straight to an answering machine.

For Texas A&M, they require letters from two professors. Does a professor who you did research count as one of these letters? Or they must be someone who you have taken a class from? I tried calling the admissions office but it would just go straight to an answering machine.
I'm 100% sure the letter from the research professor will be fine. TMDSAS does recommend that two letters come from former professors, however it isn't required (Texas A&M even states they accept any other non-professor letters as long as TMDSAS does). I spoke with plenty of current med students and even TMDSAS themselves to make sure they didn't have to be from former professors. Since I've already graduated and haven't kept in touch with many of my professors, only one of my letters will come from a former professor.

Can i just send my schools regular letter packet? (OOS)

This is probably all ready answered somewhere but... bunch 3 shadows together or split them up?

This is probably all ready answered somewhere but... bunch 3 shadows together or split them up?
I would say this depends on the amount of hours for each different shadowing experience. If they aren't significant hours I'd list them together and list the different type of doctors you shadowed.

Also yes, the committee packet from your school is fine.

Does anyone know where on the TMDSAS can I list my research publications? I don't see any section under research which asks you to list any publications with your name on it from the research done. I'm an undergrad. Please help.

Mavs, I sent mine on 5/1, paid for overnight shipping, and they were marked as received on 5/4 and 5/5 (earliest was end of day 5/4). Given that was likely a less swamped time period, I think yours should be marked in the next day or two.

That's normal. Somewhere on their website or the handbook, they mention that they will transmit your application after it has been submitted and paid for, and that they will send any transcripts/LORs that come in as they arrive and are added to your app.

Did you send your transcript electronically? I have been trying to do that but I am confused because they said you have to send in a transcript request form along with the transcript.

I did not think that TMDSAS accepted electronic transcripts.

Does anyone know where on the TMDSAS can I list my research publications? I don't see any section under research which asks you to list any publications with your name on it from the research done. I'm an undergrad. Please help.
I'd just place them in 'Research Activities'. List the research and write a brief discerption stating you were published.

Did you send your transcript electronically? I have been trying to do that but I am confused because they said you have to send in a transcript request form along with the transcript.

Mine were sent by mail. If you can visit the registrar's office, you can give them a physical copy of the form and ask that they include it. If you can't visit, you can fax it or email it. I did a combination of these things and it worked out fine for all methods.

Did anyone get TTUHSC or TTUHUSC - El Paso secondaries yet?

What about portal access for TCOM?

Did anyone get TTUHSC or TTUHUSC - El Paso secondaries yet?

What about portal access for TCOM?

TTUHSC--yes, 5/14
TTU El Paso--no
TCOM portal access--yes, 5/15

If it helps: submitted 5/2, verified and transmitted 5/4

Edit: sorry, got TTUHSC date wrong. It was 5/14.

TTUHSC--yes, 5/14
TTU El Paso--no

Just in case yall are wondering, I emailed TT El Paso last cycle and they hadn't sent out their secondary applications as of 5/20. I received my secondary app on 5/26/14, so it should be pretty soon for you guys! You can always pre-write your essays so it can be submitted quicker.

Hey Y'all

So I just realized I made a mistake with my application when submitting. One of my courses was 5 units and I accidentally listed it as 4.

I submitted on May 5th. I also submitted 3 secondaries already without realizing it.

What should I do?

Should I just leave it be?
I'm worried if I correct it. My application will be submitted at a later date and the later you apply... the worse your chances are...

My application was verified and transmitted to all my schools.

TTUHSC--yes, 5/14
TTU El Paso--no

Thanks!

I did the 3 secondaries that available, but I was wanting to get my TCOM portal access so I could figure out where to send my DO letter.

My TMDSAS was not transmitted until 5/13 though, so I guess it makes sense. They are also waiting for one more transcript from me.

Mine were sent by mail. If you can visit the registrar's office, you can give them a physical copy of the form and ask that they include it. If you can't visit, you can fax it or email it. I did a combination of these things and it worked out fine for all methods.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.