Ohio State 2019 hopefuls!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, it sounds like all we can do is wait anxiously until February....ughh

Members don't see this ad.

For everyone else still waiting to hear something, this is what Sandra told me when I asked about my status (probably the same thing Greta heard):

"The majority of our interview invites have gone out but because we are on a rolling admissions cycle there could be invites sent out through the end of the month. All decisions will be made by February 15. Thank you."
I did not get a specific date in my email, so that is helpful. The rest was identical.

When I was looking at last years thread it seemed like a couple of people who did not get interview invites in the ''original batch'' were invited shortly after the initial interviews and then accepted almost straight away, so there definitely is still hope.

OSU is the only school I've heard anything from, so I'm really hoping to rock my interview! Mine is on the 8th, anybody else going this week? I'm super nervous but kind of excited, but I woke up battling an extreme cold this morning with the sore throat/congestion/extremely runny nose combo, and I doubt I will be cleared up by Wednesday night for the dinner, let alone Thursday for my interview!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When I was looking at last years thread it seemed like a couple of people who did not get interview invites in the ''original batch'' were invited shortly after the initial interviews and then accepted almost straight away, so there definitely is still hope.

OSU is the only school I've heard anything from, so I'm really hoping to rock my interview! Mine is on the 8th, anybody else going this week? I'm super nervous but kind of excited, but I woke up battling an extreme cold this morning with the sore throat/congestion/extremely runny nose combo, and I doubt I will be cleared up by Wednesday night for the dinner, let alone Thursday for my interview!

I interview on Wednesday....AHHHHHHHHHH!

How are you guys studying for the interview? I was going through SDN feedback and other common questions. Also reviewing my app. Just wondering if I should do other stuff...

That is all I have been doing to prep. Good luck to those of you going this week! If you don't mind sharing how your experience was on interview day/ the dinner the night before that'd be great!

That is all I have been doing to prep. Good luck to those of you going this week! If you don't mind sharing how your experience was on interview day/ the dinner the night before that'd be great!
I had my interview today. The dinner was super chill, you got to talk to current students and the faculty said a bit about the school. The interview was tougher than expected. Study your current veterinary events and issues, I had a couple questions on that. Other questions were tell me a time you... And about your experiences. Good luck guys!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I had my interview today. The dinner was super chill, you got to talk to current students and the faculty said a bit about the school. The interview was tougher than expected. Study your current veterinary events and issues, I had a couple questions on that. Other questions were tell me a time you... And about your experiences. Good luck guys!!!

What kind of current events did they ask about? In the past I've gotten the impression that they let the student direct that discussion based on their interest areas (like public health or food animal issues etc.).

They asked me to list 3-6 international vet issues and elaborate on a couple. I was kinda stumped

The interview was pretty standard, I think the dinner was a great chance to ask current students questions. So was the student panel, which I haven't experienced at other schools I've been at. Honestly, a girl who I knew made the choice to go to OSU and not her in state school, and I thought she was making a bad choice, since IS was much cheaper but....OSU really is something special.

If anyone is interviewing in the next few weeks...I will be helping out at the recruitment dinners on 1/16 and 1/30! I will see you there!

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is interviewing in the next few weeks...I will be helping out at the recruitment dinners on 1/16 and 1/30! I will see you there!

I'm going to the dinner on the 16th! I'm flying in from SoCal

Aw I'm sad I didn't see any of you guys there. Everyone I met wasn't from SDN :(
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR INTERVIEW GUYS!

Don't worry! They were super nice, and they were just trying to get to know me. Most of my questions were about my experiences. A few about leadership stuff, and the rest were standard interview questions.

Everyone there was super nice. I really hope I get accepted :oops:

Aw I'm sad I didn't see any of you guys there. Everyone I met wasn't from SDN :(
GOOD LUCK ON YOUR INTERVIEW GUYS!

Don't worry! They were super nice, and they were just trying to get to know me. Most of my questions were about my experiences. A few about leadership stuff, and the rest were standard interview questions.

Everyone there was super nice. I really hope I get accepted :oops:
So many people I talked to had no idea what SDN was!! I was in shock! Lol! I interviewed on Wednesday afternoon. and yea most my questions were about my experience, didn't feel like an interrogation at all, however I heard some people say theirs did... :\ but the majority were all pretty happy with theirs! I fell in love with OSU I want to get in so bad!!! Even being a SoCal girl in 0 degree weather I still loved it! And if I hadn't forgotten my north face jacket at home I prob wouldn't been a lot warmer!!! Hahahaha

Reactions: 3 users
So many people I talked to had no idea what SDN was!! I was in shock! Lol! I interviewed on Wednesday afternoon. and yea most my questions were about my experience, didn't feel like an interrogation at all, however I heard some people say theirs did... :\ but the majority were all pretty happy with theirs! I fell in love with OSU I want to get in so bad!!! Even being a SoCal girl in 0 degree weather I still loved it! And if I hadn't forgotten my north face jacket at home I prob wouldn't been a lot warmer!!! Hahahaha
I want you to get in too!!!!! Do you remember who interviewed you?

I'm glad yours went well! I was one of the few people who felt more interrogated than interviewed.

I like interviews so I was caught off guard! Overall I don't think it was bad. I believe mine may have been hard because my interviewers were in the fields I'm interested in so I felt like they were testing to make sure I really knew my stuff? I had 2 or 3 traditional questions but the rest were technical questions about my experience (not general questions, very specific). Or maybe they were testing to see if I'd ever admit I didn't know the answer. Who knows what their method really meant. :)

They asked me about my experiences of shadowing an equine chiropractor, how he does his exams and such. It was sort of like just one bullet point on my experiences, so I thought that was pretty great that they paid such close attention.

I'm glad yours went well! I was one of the few people who felt more interrogated than interviewed.

I like interviews so I was caught off guard! Overall I don't think it was bad. I believe mine may have been hard because my interviewers were in the fields I'm interested in so I felt like they were testing to make sure I really knew my stuff? I had 2 or 3 traditional questions but the rest were technical questions about my experience (not general questions, very specific). Or maybe they were testing to see if I'd ever admit I didn't know the answer. Who knows what their method really meant. :)
Oh they asked me specifics about my experience, working in an equine hospital for 4 years...but I also talked a lot about it as wellS but they definitely checked to make sure I worked as many hours as I said, asked me specific things, but I knew them so I thought they were easy! Lol!! I liked those questions better than the typical interview questions! Hahaha yes I had Gary Bowman (food and large animal dvm) and Amanda Fark (the career services person) which I was glad about bc I plan on doing the business minor if I get accepted. :)

Hahaha yes I had Gary Bowman (food and large animal dvm)

I was interviewed by Dr. Bowman as well. He knows the doctor I work for which was a nice connection (perk of living in Columbus). I thought he did a great job of being engaging and making the interview seem more like a conversation. I know the feeling of leaving an interview feeling like you had just been interrogated so it was a welcome change.

Hello, I have a question about for anyone whose gone to their interview or goes to Ohio state right now. I'm from Southern California and I have never driven in the Snow. I'm not sure if it will snow on my interview date (1/31), so I am hesitant about booking a rental car. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts?

Thank you in advance for all help :)

I was interviewed by Dr. Bowman as well. He knows the doctor I work for which was a nice connection (perk of living in Columbus). I thought he did a great job of being engaging and making the interview seem more like a conversation. I know the feeling of leaving an interview feeling like you had just been interrogated so it was a welcome change.
He's been all over because he also worked at a clinic right near my house in so-cal!!! It was crazy!! Lol! He was so nice.

Hello, I have a question about for anyone whose gone to their interview or goes to Ohio state right now. I'm from Southern California and I have never driven in the Snow. I'm not sure if it will snow on my interview date (1/31), so I am hesitant about booking a rental car. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts?

Yeah so I'm from so-cal and when we landed at Columbus we planned to rent a car. But we got in at 5pm and had to change and get to the dinner by 6pm. Soooo they said it would be 65 a day for a rental...plus 40 a day for the insurance (just one of the airport rental places, Alamo I think) so the price of that plus knowing the roads were icy, AND not knowing where we were going, we got a cab. It was 25-30 bucks to the hotel (holiday inn). That was the most expensive. The hotel had a courtesy shuttle for within a mile...so that was fine for the vet school, we went to short north which was a little farther so we had to get a cab...and that was about 15-20...but overall we didn't spend more than we would've for the rental, plus we didn't have to worry about where to go/getting lost, or how to drive in the snow! It was great. We were glad we made that decision. So much easier than trying to handle the roads!! I know the Blackwell gives a free hotel shuttle though! So maybe call them and see if they do courtesy shuttle to the vet school too? The holiday inn wouldn't take us to the airport.... The Blackwell is like right next door to the holiday inn!

Yeah so I'm from so-cal and when we landed at Columbus we planned to rent a car. But we got in at 5pm and had to change and get to the dinner by 6pm. Soooo they said it would be 65 a day for a rental...plus 40 a day for the insurance (just one of the airport rental places, Alamo I think) so the price of that plus knowing the roads were icy, AND not knowing where we were going, we got a cab. It was 25-30 bucks to the hotel (holiday inn). That was the most expensive. The hotel had a courtesy shuttle for within a mile...so that was fine for the vet school, we went to short north which was a little farther so we had to get a cab...and that was about 15-20...but overall we didn't spend more than we would've for the rental, plus we didn't have to worry about where to go/getting lost, or how to drive in the snow! It was great. We were glad we made that decision. So much easier than trying to handle the roads!! I know the Blackwell gives a free hotel shuttle though! So maybe call them and see if they do courtesy shuttle to the vet school too? The holiday inn wouldn't take us to the airport.... The Blackwell is like right next door to the holiday inn!

Thank you very much!! I really appreciate your input. I think I'll go for a cab now. I hope your interview went well and we might be classmates next year :)

LOL some people I spoke to said they used it to look at stuff. So they didn't seem to be active.
Man, OSU totally won me over. I couldn't stop talking about the school when I got home. I really hope I get in, I can deal with the damn weather!!!!!! Oh god I really hope they liked me!!!!! TAKE ME OSU PLEASE I'LL CANCEL MY OTHER INTERVIEWS IF YOU TELL ME NOW! LOL.

I got a zipcar. $69 per day or $8/hr. I thought it was neat since I was able to explore Columbus a bit on my own after my interview. And I have never driven in snow, and really it wasn't bad. Felt a bit weird but not bad. It's really doable. Just make sure you don't speed and break too fast lol.

If you don't want to drive, I recommend Uber. They are cheaper than a cab. I requested Uber to take me to my zipcar and it was only like $10.

Reactions: 2 users

Unless it's actively snowing or sleeting, the main roads around campus are usually kept plowed and salted pretty well. The reality of Central Ohio weather is that it could be -4 or it could be 50 out come the end of January. I recommend paying attention to the forecast a couple days before your arrival and having a flexible enough budget for rental and/or cab if needed.

Honestly, snow is not that bad. Rain, sleet, and fluctuating high-lows is what makes driving around Columbus really miserable.... and bursting water mains at busy intersections.

Thank you everyone for your input! I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on VETSTAY? I was looking into it last night and wanted to know what people thought of it?

Thank you everyone for your input! I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on VETSTAY? I was looking into it last night and wanted to know what people thought of it?
I used VETSTAY when I applied and really enjoyed it. I looked through the list this year and there are a lot of awesome people hosting you guys. I'm sure if any of them would love to host you and would be willing to answer any questions you may have.

So I e-mailed Sandra today asking when I should expect a status change, since I am in the weird limbo like Gretabug. She said that not all invites/rejections have been sent out, but everything should be done by mid-February.
So still a glimmer of hope for the ones still waiting.

Reactions: 2 users
So I e-mailed Sandra today asking when I should expect a status change, since I am in the weird limbo like Gretabug. She said that not all invites/rejections have been sent out, but everything should be done by mid-February.

So the waiting continues...I am just thankful I live right next door in Pa!

I interviewed on the 8th and got my acceptance call this morning! My best advice for the interview is to be yourself and be honest above all else! They just want to see that you are who your application says you are and will make a great addition to the school.

Reactions: 11 users
thanks for doing this! you rock @Gwenevre

I interviewed on the 8th and got my acceptance call this morning! My best advice for the interview is to be yourself and be honest above all else! They just want to see that you are who your application says you are and will make a great addition to the school.

If you don't mind me asking, are you IS or OOS?

Hello everyone,
I've been following this particular thread along with a few others relentlessly. OSU was one of my top choices. Until last week I was like most, down and out, and just about deemed myself rejected. To my surprise, I received an invitation for an interview last Thursday. I am still on cloud 9. I am an OOS, and my grades are just average. However I have various vet med experience. I have heard nothing but great things about OSU, and my interaction with them during the whole application process has been amazing. I am so excited. You can really tell that OSU cares about not only their students but the applicants as well, from the informational dinner, to the VET stay program etc. I can go on an on. But now I am attempting to prepare for the interview. I have been viewing previous post. Any other suggestion? I am interviewing on 1/31. Vet stay is a program offered by OSU vet students whom allow you to stay with them prior to your interview. My vet stay student also volunteered to transport me to an from the airport, the dinner and my interview! Can you say OSU rocks! SOLD. But also just a few words of encouragement to those whom are stressed out, keep the faith! You have until Feb 15.

Reactions: 4 users
National Champs! Even though I wish Urban would have stayed with my Gators!

For those who recieved an invite did you get an email or an actual snail mail letter? I just moved from Florida to Arizona and even though I put a change of address for my mail I haven't recieved any of my mail.... thank you!!

Do we know how long they are doing interviews? Through February since those of us with the "pending" status are waiting to hear until then?

For those who recieved an invite did you get an email or an actual snail mail letter? I just moved from Florida to Arizona and even though I put a change of address for my mail I haven't recieved any of my mail.... thank you!!
Email only, and no portal change. Just says pending.

I am OOS, interviewed 1/6, and just got an acceptance call from Dr. Lord!

Reactions: 8 users
Do we know how long they are doing interviews? Through February since those of us with the "pending" status are waiting to hear until then?
I think it was the 3 days last week: 6,7,8
And I think there is one more set of interview days at the end of January, not sure the dates. They did say they're interviewing 450.

I am OOS, interviewed 1/6, and just got an acceptance call from Dr. Lord!
OMG so exciting!!!! Congrats!!!
I interviewed 1/7...I want a call SO BAD!!! Praying!!

Those of you who received an interview: What are some tips you have for the application process? I have at least a year or 2 before I plan on applying but I want to spend my time wisely and get as many pointers as possible!

Those of you who received an interview: What are some tips you have for the application process? I have at least a year or 2 before I plan on applying but I want to spend my time wisely and get as many pointers as possible!
honestly....my advice for everyone who asks me what to do or how I could've been better....get better grades. lol if you have a SOLID GPA its much "easier", yes GPA isn't everything and I dont want to start a huge debate lol, but the higher the grades the better your chances, esp since a lot of schools are weighing GPA more and more. (I have only a 3.5/3.6, and dang I wish I had a 3.8 lol!) I have 4,000 hours at an equine hospital, I think that's my stronger side of my application. Some schools liked that, some schools didn't like the GPA.
So yes, you need the "whole package" But grades are harder to improve than experience is to gain. Get good grades, and volunteer/work a couple hours a week....over 2 years those hours will accumulate, use the summers to increase your experience. But keep those grades up! :)

I just gave up my interview spot at OSU. I hope one of you gets to take it. Good luck!

pick-me-o.gif

Reactions: 5 users
honestly....my advice for everyone who asks me what to do or how I could've been better....get better grades. lol if you have a SOLID GPA its much "easier", yes GPA isn't everything and I dont want to start a huge debate lol, but the higher the grades the better your chances, esp since a lot of schools are weighing GPA more and more. (I have only a 3.5/3.6, and dang I wish I had a 3.8 lol!) I have 4,000 hours at an equine hospital, I think that's my stronger side of my application. Some schools liked that, some schools didn't like the GPA.
So yes, you need the "whole package" But grades are harder to improve than experience is to gain. Get good grades, and volunteer/work a couple hours a week....over 2 years those hours will accumulate, use the summers to increase your experience. But keep those grades up! :)

Thank you! I kept reading that grades were not a make or break it (I doubted that) so it's refreshing to hear someone put stress on getting good grades. It keeps my motivation up, as weird as that may or may not sound lol. I'm working on a second degree, so I'm already striving to make this one a success. My previous degree's GPA was still within reason, but on a lower end. I know the schools will be looking at my overall GPA, so I'm hoping I'll do well enough these next few semesters to be a consideration. I also have about 100 hours volunteer work under my belt in just 2 months at a veterinary hospital that does small animal, exotics, and equine. I don't plan on quitting that anytime soon! But still very appreciated.