Ohio State 2019 hopefuls!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those of you who received an interview: What are some tips you have for the application process? I have at least a year or 2 before I plan on applying but I want to spend my time wisely and get as many pointers as possible!
I agree with everything Hollista said. You might also want to do some research too. And with your vet experiences, make sure you vary them some. You might consider shadowing a vet that does other large animals than horses. I would also recommend doing something unrelated to animals like playing a sport or an instrument for a couple years - something that will make you look like a well-rounded, different student. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with everything Hollista said. You might also want to do some research too. And with your vet experiences, make sure you vary them some. You might consider shadowing a vet that does other large animals than horses. I would also recommend doing something unrelated to animals like playing a sport or an instrument for a couple years - something that will make you look like a well-rounded, different student. Good luck!
I second this! I don't know for sure if it helped me, but OSU definitely asked me several questions in my interview about my non vet med things on my application :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Very true! I definitely listed crossfit athlete on my application! :)

Very true! I definitely listed crossfit athlete on my application! :)
You all are so wonderful! Thank you for the help.

I am OOS, interviewed 1/6, and just got an acceptance call from Dr. Lord!
Congratulations! I also interviewed that day and am OOS as well but have not heard anything. I think I'm among the many others in that bell jar middle they showed us at one of the info sessions.

OOS applicant, interviewed on the 8th and just got an acceptance call :)

Reactions: 7 users
Omg! Almost had a heart attack when I got the email from OSU asking to fill out a survey. Congrats to the few who have heard, and yeah I think I'm in the middle of that bell curve too @gerrybear !! Lol!

Omg! Almost had a heart attack when I got the email from OSU asking to fill out a survey. Congrats to the few who have heard, and yeah I think I'm in the middle of that bell curve too @gerrybear !! Lol!

That e-mail was torture to my poor fluttering heart! I thought my interview went really well and I've been hoping to hear good news! Almost everybody I know have has been accepted somewhere so far. OSU is my first choice, but I have not even gotten interview invites from my other schools yet, so I have little to reassure myself with. I feel like I'm so anxious waiting that I'm deteriorating my own quality of life! AH! Congrats to those accepted!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
For those who received acceptance phone calls, how long after did you receive an email with more information? I got a call yesterday and have yet to receive an email.

Hope to see some of you tomorrow at the interview dinner!!! Come introduce yourselves :)

So if I'm not mistaken, they interview and send out acceptances as they go? Does that mean, the later your interview the more difficult it will be to land an acceptance (because there are less spots)?

So if I'm not mistaken, they interview and send out acceptances as they go? Does that mean, the later your interview the more difficult it will be to land an acceptance (because there are less spots)?
Not many people get accepted right after they interview. The majority have to wait for a decision after all the interview dates have finished. This is usually in mid February.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I've been watching this thread for a while now, and I thought I'd finally post. I interviewed on the 8th and received an acceptance call from April yesterday!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone! I've been watching this thread for a while now, and I thought I'd finally post. I interviewed on the 8th and received an acceptance call from April yesterday!
Congrats!!!! Ohhhhh I want a call so bad!!!

For those who received acceptance phone calls, how long after did you receive an email with more information? I got a call yesterday and have yet to receive an email.
I got the call on Monday and the email Thursday!

I received the call on Thursday afternoon and the email a few hours later.

I just haven't heard anything from OSU - no interview, rejection, or acceptance. Should I just assume I was rejected then at this point? Anyone else in this boat?

Reactions: 3 users
I just haven't heard anything from OSU - no interview, rejection, or acceptance. Should I just assume I was rejected then at this point? Anyone else in this boat?

I am in the same position. I have heard absolutely nothing since October, and my status still says in review. I am thinking about calling monday..

Same boat as well... still reads pending and in review. Earlier in the forum, some people said they had already been rejected for an interview. Another had posted that they can call people until Feb. to ask for interviews. We might be in that odd "waitlist" for an interview stage? But I am not banking on getting an interview with OSU at this point. If anyone knows anything contrary, let me/us know! :)

I e-mailed and yeah, it sounds like we're on an interview waitlist

So this may sound dumb, but question for those of you who have interviewed already…did you bring anything in with you for your interview? Like a folder/portfolio or anything? I'm assuming this is unnecessary since they have our apps right in front of them but not sure if I will need paper and pen or anything! I interview next weekend!

So this may sound dumb, but question for those of you who have interviewed already…did you bring anything in with you for your interview? Like a folder/portfolio or anything? I'm assuming this is unnecessary since they have our apps right in front of them but not sure if I will need paper and pen or anything! I interview next weekend!

I brought a bottle of water in with me. Half way through my interview I almost lost my voice and was practically whispering. Having water with me fixed that problem.

Bring a portfolio or a simple bag with you to the interview day. They'll give you some materials to look over (day's itinerary, etc.) and they suggest that people take notes during the admissions and financial aid discussions so do bring paper and a writing tool.

You don't need to bring any information into the actual interview. For me the 30 minutes went very fast and there wasn't any time for "show and tell" materials. I also didn't have a need to write any notes in the interview (unless you wanted to record the interviewers' names/e-mails to thank them later... maybe).

Also, you can leave items in the lobby while you go to your interview room.

I agree that maybe some water would be nice to bring with you, just in case. Some of the interview rooms are not water fountain adjacent. If you interview after lunch, you can pick up an extra bottle of water.

Hello, I have a question about for anyone whose gone to their interview or goes to Ohio state right now. I'm from Southern California and I have never driven in the Snow. I'm not sure if it will snow on my interview date (1/31), so I am hesitant about booking a rental car. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts?

Thank you in advance for all help :)
Hey! I'm from Socal too and luckily my dad is coming along. We are renting a car! Make sure to rent a four wheel drive (which hopefully they will offer you anyways at the car rental places at the airport.) Best of luck and see you at the interview! (Mine's 1/31 also :) )

Bring a portfolio or a simple bag with you to the interview day. They'll give you some materials to look over (day's itinerary, etc.) and they suggest that people take notes during the admissions and financial aid discussions so do bring paper and a writing tool.

You don't need to bring any information into the actual interview. For me the 30 minutes went very fast and there wasn't any time for "show and tell" materials. I also didn't have a need to write any notes in the interview (unless you wanted to record the interviewers' names/e-mails to thank them later... maybe).

Also, you can leave items in the lobby while you go to your interview room.

I agree that maybe some water would be nice to bring with you, just in case. Some of the interview rooms are not water fountain adjacent. If you interview after lunch, you can pick up an extra bottle of water.

Thanks for the advice!!

Anybody have advice on what to wear for ladies' business casual while still staying warm for the dinner? When I search "women's business casual" on Google, pretty much outfits with blazer, skirt, and collared shirt pop up which is already my interview outfit.

Anybody have advice on what to wear for ladies' business casual while still staying warm for the dinner? When I search "women's business casual" on Google, pretty much outfits with blazer, skirt, and collared shirt pop up which is already my interview outfit.
They have a coat rack and hangers outside of the room the dinner is in, so don't worry about being warm, just bring a big jacket then take it off. It was comfortable in the room. I work dark nice jeans, a short boot type heel, flowy tank top with a black suit jacket/blazer. I was plenty warm (and it was 0 degrees out that night, and Im from so cal). :)

I also didn't have a need to write any notes in the interview (unless you wanted to record the interviewers' names/e-mails to thank them later... maybe).
Pro-tip: If you want this information just go the the main desk in the dean's suite (where you check in), they will write it down for you.

They have a coat rack and hangers outside of the room the dinner is in, so don't worry about being warm, just bring a big jacket then take it off. It was comfortable in the room. I work dark nice jeans, a short boot type heel, flowy tank top with a black suit jacket/blazer. I was plenty warm (and it was 0 degrees out that night, and Im from so cal). :)
I'm from so cal too! :p

Does anyone know if Ohio State gives out any significant recruitment scholarships?

Hey! I'm from Socal too and luckily my dad is coming along. We are renting a car! Make sure to rent a four wheel drive (which hopefully they will offer you anyways at the car rental places at the airport.) Best of luck and see you at the interview! (Mine's 1/31 also :) )
Awesome! looking forward to meeting another person from Socal!!! good luck to you too!
What time is your interview?

I'm in the same boat too. My application says it's still in review... If we were on an interview waitlst I wonder why they haven't told us????

This is pretty random and off topic but I'm going to post it anyway since this story isn't really relevant to anyone other than people on here. I'm gathering research articles for a paper I'm writing and just opened up an email for an article from JAVMA I requested. Who do I see as being an author on it but Dr. Lord. I was like, whoa, I've actually seen this woman in person and now I'm reading her research.

I dunno, I thought it was cool lol.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm normally a really patient person...but I'm going insane!! I REALLY REALLY want to be a buckeye!!! How are the rest of you coping with the waiting game?

I'm normally a really patient person...but I'm going insane!! I REALLY REALLY want to be a buckeye!!! How are the rest of you coping with the waiting game?
I'm being more patient than last year! I feel like waiting to hear back from WSU was longer than this....plus then I was waitlisted so more waiting. And they don't rank their waistlist. At least Ohio ranks theirs so when we hear back, whatever the result may be, it will be something...not just more completely unknown waiting!! Lol! Idk I feel more patient this year, and I'm taking that as good juju!!! ;)

Patience is definitely a good strength to have at this point! Not ranking the wait list sounds like more torture. At least if it's ranked you have a pretty good idea if you might get off of it. I'm trying to be more chill about waiting...only about a month yet.

Hola future buckeyes! I am procrastinating studying for an anesthesia elective quiz tomorrow, so I would like to come on here and pass along my good juju for all of you that are waiting to hear about acceptances and for those who haven't interviewed yet (if you're interviewing next weekend, I'll see you at the dinner on Friday--come say hi, I'm from NJ and am interested in ER ;) ). If you guys have any questions about OSU, feel free to PM me!! I LOVE it here :-D

Reactions: 3 users
Who will be around this weekend? I will be interviewing this coming Saturday! :cat:

For those current Buckeyes, do you really need $20,000 to live off of in Columbus? That just seems really high to me and if I would be able to cut back by $5000 a year that would help tremendously.

For those current Buckeyes, do you really need $20,000 to live off of in Columbus? That just seems really high to me and if I would be able to cut back by $5000 a year that would help tremendously.

Keep in mind that money includes more than just "living expenses" like rent and utilities. School books and supplies are also part of that sum and those things I would imagine are harder to cut down on.

How much you pay depends on what you're willing to accept in regards to living arrangements. You can find a place where you pay under $350 for rent or have access to the COTA or the CABS bus systems to get to school every day. That could cut your costs down some over a year but you'll be living in less desirable neighborhoods with a roommate or two or three.

I've been renting in Columbus for almost ten years and based on the rent and utility budget that was given in the financial aid seminar, I think it's difficult to cut much off of that without taking on more than one roommate and giving up a safer and more convenient location.

Keep in mind that money includes more than just "living expenses" like rent and utilities. School books and supplies are also part of that sum and those things I would imagine are harder to cut down on.

How much you pay depends on what you're willing to accept in regards to living arrangements. You can find a place where you pay under $350 for rent or have access to the COTA or the CABS bus systems to get to school every day. That could cut your costs down some over a year but you'll be living in less desirable neighborhoods with a roommate or two or three.

I've been renting in Columbus for almost ten years and based on the rent and utility budget that was given in the financial aid seminar, I think it's difficult to cut much off of that without taking on more than one roommate and giving up a safer and more convenient location.
That being said, you don't really need any textbooks besides your class notes (~100-200/semester) and your anatomy book freshman year.

That being said, you don't really need any textbooks besides your class notes (~100-200/semester) and your anatomy book freshman year.

In the booklet they gave out they had books and supplies listed at $6,658. So if you really do only need what you said then you can definitely cut down quite a bit. Thanks everyone!

Also, has anyone gotten any calls from this past weekend?

Last edited:
In the booklet they gave out they had books and supplies listed at $6,658. So if you really do only need what you said then you can definitely cut down quite a bit. Thanks everyone!

Also, has anyone gotten any calls from this past weekend?
Supplies may cost a bit, gloves and lab coat/scrubs and such, but probably not $6k/year.

I'll be at the dinner tomorrow and interviewing Saturday! Super excited to be interviewing at my IS school!

It's a good question! When I interviewed I brought a pad folio with a few questions scribbled on it for the question portion. That way you can take a few notes. Just dont rely on it too heavily. I didnt open mine up until the end. Most people don't do this and you definitely don't have to to get accepted.
P.s. we had an interview lecture yesterday and they recommended doing this for job interviews.

This is the last place I haven't heard from (either rejected or an interview)....I wish they'd just let us know already!

You and me both! I'm losing hope of ever getting anything.

For those of you who interview next weekend, don't be nervous! I know that's nearly impossible to do but I interviewed yesterday and everyone is SO nice. The dinner is SUPER relaxed and the interviewers were not intimidating at all (at least mine weren't). They want you to be comfortable and the 30 minutes goes by so fast mine felt like it had only been 5 minutes. Know some current events and be familiar with your application and you're good to go!

For those who already got accepted, did your portal status change yet? I interviewed on 1/17, got my acceptance call on 1/21. I'm waiting for status change and emails but nothing so far, I started to wonder if I was hallucinating of getting the acceptance call lol!!
I agree with alex2312, the interview was very relaxing and comfortable so don't be nervous guys! The interviewers are super nice! I'm international student, when they mentioned the word "hurdle" in the interview I didn't understand, they were so patient that they explained it to me lol!
Good luck to everyone who'll have the interview soon!!It will be a good experience I promise~ :)